Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scott Kacsmar has Colts barely above .500

Colt.45

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Now compare their OLs and receiving corps. 

The 2019 Eagles had the #1 Oline in the league per PFF, the Colts were 3rd in '19.

In 2020, they had the Colts at 7th and the Eagles at 19th.

5 hours ago, coming on strong said:

Such a bad take to say wentz had four bad seasons . 2019 with practice squad lineman and wrs wentz puts the team on his back drags them to the playoffs putting up close to 30 tds 7 picks .  2018 he played very well before getting hurt 21 touchdowns to 7 picks before being out for the year with injury .    In reality he had 3 good seasons one bad and one up and down rookie season 

I think Wentz had two bad seasons his rookie year and last year. His other seasons were great statistically

2 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

Time will tell.

But I will reiterate once again that we got unexpectedly thrust into QB purgatory with Luck’s untimely retirement.  And QB purgatory is a deadly place for an NFL franchise to be.  Some teams take decades and many, many tries at the position before getting out of it.

We’ve not been bad enough to draft high enough to get a top prospect.  And, even if we were, a depressingly high percentage of high drafted QBs don’t pan out.

I think Ballard did the best he could with a bad situation that was not of his own making.  It would not be surprising if Wentz turns out to be more like the player he was later in his stint in Philly than the player he was early on.  It would also not be surprising if he plays at a higher level with a better OL and a better running game.

Stay tuned and let’s see how this goes.

Time will tell on the bolded. Obviously, Luck retiring was not of his "own making," but addressing the QB position long-term isn't unique to Ballard and we shouldn't treat it as such. The circumstances were pretty unique, but the challenge itself is one that most GMs have to face (Lynch, Beane, Veach, Robinson, to name a few.).

And we have had two full offseasons since. The strategy was ultimately to build up the team and then acquire a vet QB via trade. So time will tell on that decision.

28 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

The 2019 Eagles had the #1 Oline in the league per PFF, the Colts were 3rd in '19.

Yep. Their starters missed a combined 7 starts I believe. Not ideal, but they were still a top unit.

18 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Never heard of the guy.

He's a Colts fan - Colts fan/Steelers fan.  Complete stats dude.  Loves Manning, hates Brady.  Hates the Patriots more than anyone I've ever encountered.  lol

He might be right about Wentz.  He might be right about everything.  We'll see.

1 hour ago, #12. said:

He's a Colts fan - Colts fan/Steelers fan.  Complete stats dude.  Loves Manning, hates Brady.  Hates the Patriots more than anyone I've ever encountered.  lol

He might be right about Wentz.  He might be right about everything.  We'll see.

Whoopie...he might be wrong too.

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Setting aside whether "PFF says it, must be true" is acceptable... what about the receiving corps?

39 minutes ago, Superman said:

Now compare their OLs and receiving corps. 

@Colt.45 covered the OL. 

The WR room is fair to mention because both Agholor and Jeffrey got hurt and played 10-11 games. But then again, Wentz played better AFTER they got hurt. That stretch actually helped his season.

They had Ertz and Goedert who combined for 600+ more receiving yards than the Colts trio of TEs. And having to target Ertz/Goedert doesn't seem like much of a disadvantage vs. targeting Hilton/Pascal (who were the top two pass catchers on IND). 

And their RBs had a higher yds/catch and identical catch rate. With the same number of targets, they would have had a good amount more receiving yards than the Colts RB duo.

I don't even really see a huge divide in overall production. But I also don't think QBs are a product of their environment, which is why Rivers' performance was pretty similar to his 2017-18 seasons. 

Statistically, 2019 Wentz did not perform at the same level as 2020 Rivers. In fact, a better comp would probably be the Colts QB in that 2019 season, but slightly more accurate with far more attempts. 

18 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I don't even really see a huge divide in overall production. But I also don't think QBs are a product of their environment, which is why Rivers' performance was pretty similar to his 2017-18 seasons. 

Statistically, 2019 Wentz did not perform at the same level as 2020 Rivers. In fact, a better comp would probably be the Colts QB in that 2019 season, but slightly more accurate with far more attempts. 

There's not a huge divide in overall production, evidence by their nearly identical passer rating and QBR, which is why I don't get why this is even a discussion. I said Wentz was as good in 2019 as Rivers was in 2020, and while you're right that Rivers had some better stats, that doesn't mean he played better. Especially from a physical standpoint. 

Rivers also got more help from his supporting cast in 2020. A prime evidence is the fact that 2020 Colts led the league in YAC/attempt at 5.7, while the 2019 Eagles were average at 4.1. 

To be honest, I'd prefer 2019 Wentz to 2020 Rivers, but that's a different kind of conversation. I don't think it's remotely controversial to say that 2019 Wentz was as good as 2020 Rivers, all things considered. Feel free to disagree, but I don't have a whole lot more to contribute on that subject.

As it relates to the topic, the idea that Wentz has not had a good year since 2017 needs to be shut down, because it's not true. That doesn't mean Wentz is gonna be great in 2021, and I'm definitely not presenting that as an argument at this point.

30 minutes ago, Superman said:

Setting aside whether "PFF says it, must be true" is acceptable... what about the receiving corps?

We don't have a medium or baseline that we will all agree on as the gospel so we use what we have right?

PFF isn't the law by any stretch. They're finicky and their tabulation of data can be very subjective but again, we dance with who we brung to the party. :D

As far as receiving corp, the Eagles were dinged up in 2019 at WR but their TEs stepped up big time. The Colts receivers in 2020 were not any great shakes. All you'd have to do is go through this forum and read the complaints. They were not dynamic by any stretch. Some of it might have been Rivers, some of it might have been guys who just didn't get separation, some of it was Campbell, who knows but I wouldn't say pass catching was much better for Rivers in 20 than it was for Wentz in 19. Both situations could have been much better.

4 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

We don't have a medium or baseline that we will all agree on as the gospel so we use what we have right?

PFF isn't the law by any stretch. They're finicky and their tabulation of data can be very subjective but again, we dance with who we brung to the party. :D

As far as receiving corp, the Eagles were dinged up in 2019 at WR but their TEs stepped up big time. The Colts receivers in 2020 were not any great shakes. All you'd have to do is go through this forum and read the complaints. They were not dynamic by any stretch. Some of it might have been Rivers, some of it might have been guys who just didn't get separation, some of it was Campbell, who knows but I wouldn't say pass catching was much better for Rivers in 20 than it was for Wentz in 19. Both situations could have been much better.

Yeah, that's a whole nother story. I think the fans on this forum complain about a lot that I don't agree with. No doubt the Colts receivers could have produced more last season, but I don't put that all on the receivers, personally. I think the situation and to an extent the QB were factors to be considered.

As for the Eagles in 2019, the TEs stepped up because Wentz had no WRs to throw to. They didn't have a single WR hit 500 yards, their three leading pass catchers by yardage and receptions were two TEs and a RB. Jeffery, Agholor, and Jackson were completely ineffective. JJ Arcega Whiteside, 2nd round rookie, gave them 10 catches; our 2nd round rookie gave us 40 catches, and that's with missing a month. Zach Pascal was more productive in 2020 than any of the Eagles WRs in 2019.

3 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Time will tell on the bolded. Obviously, Luck retiring was not of his "own making," but addressing the QB position long-term isn't unique to Ballard and we shouldn't treat it as such. The circumstances were pretty unique, but the challenge itself is one that most GMs have to face (Lynch, Beane, Veach, Robinson, to name a few.).

And we have had two full offseasons since. The strategy was ultimately to build up the team and then acquire a vet QB via trade. So time will tell on that decision.

Well, I started my post off with "time will tell."  So, yeah.  Wentz has yet to take his first snap here.  Everybody has predictions or expectations or hopes.  But all of that is just to pass the time until the ball is kicked in the air.

That said, of course Ballard isn't the first GM to have to replace a QB.  He's not the first GM to have to do it on short notice.  But I can't think of too many who had to do so because of the unexpected retirement of a 1st pick QB after just 7 seasons.

My point is that landing a legit top QB in the NFL is a hard, hard undertaking -- that usually involves at least some good fortune.  I'd say there are only about 9 or 10 "franchise" level QBs in the league at any given time (and less than half of those qualify as elite).  Every other team is either looking, waiting for a young prospect to develop, or just settling for the best they can get.

We're about to have our 3rd since Andrew retired.  And, yeah, he's a big question mark.  If he wasn't, the Eagles would never have traded him.

My question to you, though, is what better options do you think were available to Ballard?  I mean, this isn't Madden or Fantasy Football.  This is the real world -- where many NFL teams wish they had a better QB than they do...and where salary cap limitations are painfully real.

We'll see how Wentz pans out.  Like all of us, I'm hoping for the best.  But I can't see too many options that were available to Ballard that would clearly have been better.

Well.. we have a fairly young team starting our 4th QB in 4 years.

Our division shouldn't be that tough, but we have titans twice.

We play the NFC west.. best division in football. 

AFC east. Bills dolphins patriots perhaps we can beat them for the first time since I was in high school (I'm 30)

Ravens accidentally placed 2nd place last year.

Raiders.

And our random just happens to be the champs and Tom Brady. Who again.. we haven't beaten since I was in high school.

Fairly good assumption for the season. I have absolutely no expectations. Just always happy to see the boys play. But I won't be smashing any remotes this year and losing my cool. We'll probably be about 10-7

4 hours ago, JoeThornburg said:

Who cares? Some people have the Clowns winning the Super Bowl.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2021/05/13/cleveland-browns-superbowl-champs/

That's a Browns site. So of course they think they have a shot of winning the SB.

Honestly, their odds are probably about the same as ours if not slightly better at this point. Really not much difference between the Browns and the Colts IMO this year. Both in the 2nd tier category in the AFC behind the Chiefs and Bills.

• 5 months later...

Archived