Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Braden Smith contract extension is done


Superman
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

Aren't we all? Let the guessing games begin.

 

5 years $90 mil. extension with $50 mil. guaranteed is my guess :) 

That sounds about right. That would put him as a top 4 paid RT, along with Moton and Lane Johnson, and just behind arguably the best RT in the game in Ryan Ramchyk in NO. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This was literally was I was going to guess lol! :) 

 

Seems like we were close on the $18 mil. per year average and $10 mil. per year average on the guaranteed front, if you don't count this year which reduces it then.

 

Good for him and the Colts. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

So it winds up five years, $72.4m, sounds like. Effective average is $14.5m/year.

 

Yeah, very good deal for the Colts. Braden Smith secures his place and importance in the team too. That is why extensions are good to spread the money out when done during the last year of a rookie deal, especially when you know what you have with the player consistently.

 

With Malik Hooker, when Ballard didn't pick up the fifth year option, the writing was on the wall. Q is going to be expensive, might be the first $100 mil. guard, surpassing Thuney's contract with the Chiefs, IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

So it winds up five years, $72.4m, sounds like. Effective average is $14.5m/year.

Yeah but... we already had him under contract for 2.5M for this year. I don't think this is fair way to look at it. It seems likeit's 4 new years and 70M new money addition to the 1 year he had left on his cheap deal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah but... we already had him under contract for 2.5M for this year. I don't think this is fair way to look at it. It seems like 4/70 extension in addition to the 1 year he had left on his cheap deal. 

 

Don't know what fair has to do with it. He's now under contract for five total years, and his $72.4m gets spread out over all five years. His new money is $70m and that's what his reported average will be based on, and that's fine. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah but... we already had him under contract for 2.5M for this year. I don't think this is fair way to look at it. It seems like 4/70 extension in addition to the 1 year he had left on his cheap deal. 

 

It sounds better I guess, but yeah, they already had the rights to that year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Don't know what fair has to do with it. He's now under contract for five total years, and his $72.4m gets spread out over all five years. His new money is $70m and that's what his reported average will be based on, and that's fine. 

Curious.  Does this contract help with added cap space this year or no effect?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Curious.  Does this contract help with added cap space this year or no effect?

 

Don't know the structure yet. But most likely it increases his 2021 cap hit. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Don't know what fair has to do with it. He's now under contract for five total years, and his $72.4m gets spread out over all five years. His new money is $70m and that's what his reported average will be based on, and that's fine. 

 

That's true. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

 

CLE got a steal with Conklin. Perhaps FA isn't really the devil.

 

If we had signed Braden Smith in 2020 I think he would have come in under $14m/year. But he wasn't even eligible for an extension in 2020. Now, the market has moved. The next highly rated RT to hit FA will probably move the market again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Don't know what fair has to do with it. He's now under contract for five total years, and his $72.4m gets spread out over all five years. His new money is $70m and that's what his reported average will be based on, and that's fine. 

It's minutiae, but it's 4 new years and 70M new money. For the purposes of the cap we are losing 17.5M per year not 14.5. They can spread it out over 5 years(14.5M), but if they didn't you could carry over the 12 or so million over to next season(if they spread it evenly).

 

Either way, the contract is about what I expected having in mind the other RT contracts that were signed earlier this off-season.

 

Now it's Leonard's turn and I expect him to get about 19.5 a year in new money. That 2018 draft is becoming expensive. I wonder if Hines will be signed?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

17 million a year is a steal for a shutdown tackle who always plays and gives up no sacks all last year . 

 

 We will actually get to see how well he can hold a block while on the move now that we have a mobile QB that holds onto the ball for those longer throws. Being the athlete that he is not, i expect him to give up some hard hits to CW.   
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Superman said:

 

If we had signed Braden Smith in 2020 I think he would have come in under $14m/year. But he wasn't even eligible for an extension in 2020. Now, the market has moved. The next highly rated RT to hit FA will probably move the market again.

 

Maybe, but that sounds too cheap. Even if Smith was eligible, he would have been wise to wait until Ramczyk got paid.

 

Regardless, CLE got a steal with Conklin in FA.

 

I don't think it moves for a few years now. The top guys are locked up now and Wirfs is three years off. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah but... we already had him under contract for 2.5M for this year. I don't think this is fair way to look at it. It seems likeit's 4 new years and 70M new money addition to the 1 year he had left on his cheap deal. 

 

  I'm glad he will cost us $14.5M over 5 years. It will look like a good deal in years 4-5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

 We will actually get to see how well he can hold a block while on the move now that we have a mobile QB that holds onto the ball for those longer throws. Being the athlete that he is not, i expect him to give up some hard hits to CW.   
 

He's a pretty good athlete.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, shasta519 said:

 

Maybe, but that sounds too cheap. Even if Smith was eligible, he would have been wise to wait until Ramczyk got paid.

 

Regardless, CLE got a steal with Conklin in FA.

 

I don't think it moves for a few years now. The top guys are locked up now and Wirfs is three years off. 

 

 

 Conklin was damaged and his game had fallen somewhat.
 They took a little bit of a gamble on him.
  He and Smith play a very similar game. Games against Tenn. are going to be doozies!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's minutiae, but it's 4 new years and 70M new money. For the purposes of the cap we are losing 17.5M per year not 14.5. They can spread it out over 5 years(14.5M), but if they didn't you could carry over the 12 or so million over to next season(if they spread it evenly).

 

Either way, the contract is about what I expected having in mind the other RT contracts that were signed earlier this off-season.

 

Now it's Leonard's turn and I expect him to get about 19.5 a year in new money. That 2018 draft is becoming expensive. I wonder if Hines will be signed?

 

Yeah, the AAV is high, but it's the cost of doing business. Long gone is the time where you can sign a top-tier RT like Mitchell Schwartz for 5/$33M lol. That was in 2016. The salary cap was lower, but while the 2022 salary cap will be roughly 33% higher than 2016, a RT of that caliber costs 375% more. That's pretty incredible.

 

If Smith got ~$18M AAV, then I think Nelson is probably going to be $4-5M higher. And their won't be a lot of room for creative accounting for that, as his final year of control is a 5th year option, which is $13.6M gtd.

 

Hines should only cost $4-5M though, somewhere between Jamaal Williams and Tarik Cohen. So it won't really move the needle. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • There are a couple that could win a game. But not many. The fact is if your starter goes down for a long time the season is over anyway. The backup can probably only win a game or two for a team. Heck there aren’t 32 starting QB so some guys that are starters should only be backups.
    • It never would of happened in TC because carson was hurt. The important thing is Wentz is healthy and playing great. It doesn’t matter who the backup is.  There is a difference in wanting to see him play when when we don’t have a QB of our QB is hurt then being mad he is gone.
    • If this happened in training camp Wentzszn would've lost his mind!!! 
    • Leonards passer rating allowed please. Thanks  Not that this shows much with Ebs zone coverage depths. It is a give them a free toss defense then collapse as a team for the tackle while trying to create turnovers. Ugh to watch!  And doodoo against good QB's. JMO of course.
    • Today I am going to spend some time listening to some SF podcasts. It’s always fun to see what the enemy is thinking of the colts. I am following a really good one on Twitter too. He always has common sense takes about his team.
  • Members

    • chrisfarley

      chrisfarley 275

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • #12.

      #12. 1,225

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • GoatBeard

      GoatBeard 652

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtsFan_98

      ColtsFan_98 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Mitch Connors

      Mitch Connors 455

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Fourth and Long

      Fourth and Long 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • bellevuecolt

      bellevuecolt 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Crush22

      Crush22 305

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ponyboy

      ponyboy 70

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nesjan3

      Nesjan3 749

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...