Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Braden Smith contract extension is done

Superman

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Aren't we all? Let the guessing games begin.

5 years $90 mil. extension with $50 mil. guaranteed is my guess :) 

That sounds about right. That would put him as a top 4 paid RT, along with Moton and Lane Johnson, and just behind arguably the best RT in the game in Ryan Ramchyk in NO. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This was literally was I was going to guess lol! :) 

Seems like we were close on the $18 mil. per year average and $10 mil. per year average on the guaranteed front, if you don't count this year which reduces it then.

Good for him and the Colts. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

So it winds up five years, $72.4m, sounds like. Effective average is $14.5m/year.

Yeah, very good deal for the Colts. Braden Smith secures his place and importance in the team too. That is why extensions are good to spread the money out when done during the last year of a rookie deal, especially when you know what you have with the player consistently.

With Malik Hooker, when Ballard didn't pick up the fifth year option, the writing was on the wall. Q is going to be expensive, might be the first $100 mil. guard, surpassing Thuney's contract with the Chiefs, IMO.

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

So it winds up five years, $72.4m, sounds like. Effective average is $14.5m/year.

Yeah but... we already had him under contract for 2.5M for this year. I don't think this is fair way to look at it. It seems likeit's 4 new years and 70M new money addition to the 1 year he had left on his cheap deal. 

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah but... we already had him under contract for 2.5M for this year. I don't think this is fair way to look at it. It seems like 4/70 extension in addition to the 1 year he had left on his cheap deal. 

Don't know what fair has to do with it. He's now under contract for five total years, and his $72.4m gets spread out over all five years. His new money is $70m and that's what his reported average will be based on, and that's fine. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah but... we already had him under contract for 2.5M for this year. I don't think this is fair way to look at it. It seems like 4/70 extension in addition to the 1 year he had left on his cheap deal. 

It sounds better I guess, but yeah, they already had the rights to that year.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Don't know what fair has to do with it. He's now under contract for five total years, and his $72.4m gets spread out over all five years. His new money is $70m and that's what his reported average will be based on, and that's fine. 

Curious.  Does this contract help with added cap space this year or no effect?

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Curious.  Does this contract help with added cap space this year or no effect?

Don't know the structure yet. But most likely it increases his 2021 cap hit. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's true. 

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

CLE got a steal with Conklin. Perhaps FA isn't really the devil.

If we had signed Braden Smith in 2020 I think he would have come in under $14m/year. But he wasn't even eligible for an extension in 2020. Now, the market has moved. The next highly rated RT to hit FA will probably move the market again.

30 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's minutiae, but it's 4 new years and 70M new money. For the purposes of the cap we are losing 17.5M per year not 14.5. They can spread it out over 5 years(14.5M), but if they didn't you could carry over the 12 or so million over to next season(if they spread it evenly).

Either way, the contract is about what I expected having in mind the other RT contracts that were signed earlier this off-season.

Now it's Leonard's turn and I expect him to get about 19.5 a year in new money. That 2018 draft is becoming expensive. I wonder if Hines will be signed?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

17 million a year is a steal for a shutdown tackle who always plays and gives up no sacks all last year . 

We will actually get to see how well he can hold a block while on the move now that we have a mobile QB that holds onto the ball for those longer throws. Being the athlete that he is not, i expect him to give up some hard hits to CW.   

Just now, Superman said:

If we had signed Braden Smith in 2020 I think he would have come in under $14m/year. But he wasn't even eligible for an extension in 2020. Now, the market has moved. The next highly rated RT to hit FA will probably move the market again.

Maybe, but that sounds too cheap. Even if Smith was eligible, he would have been wise to wait until Ramczyk got paid.

Regardless, CLE got a steal with Conklin in FA.

I don't think it moves for a few years now. The top guys are locked up now and Wirfs is three years off. 

42 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah but... we already had him under contract for 2.5M for this year. I don't think this is fair way to look at it. It seems likeit's 4 new years and 70M new money addition to the 1 year he had left on his cheap deal. 

I'm glad he will cost us $14.5M over 5 years. It will look like a good deal in years 4-5.

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

We will actually get to see how well he can hold a block while on the move now that we have a mobile QB that holds onto the ball for those longer throws. Being the athlete that he is not, i expect him to give up some hard hits to CW.   

He's a pretty good athlete.

Just now, shasta519 said:

Maybe, but that sounds too cheap. Even if Smith was eligible, he would have been wise to wait until Ramczyk got paid.

Regardless, CLE got a steal with Conklin in FA.

I don't think it moves for a few years now. The top guys are locked up now and Wirfs is three years off. 

Conklin was damaged and his game had fallen somewhat.
 They took a little bit of a gamble on him.
  He and Smith play a very similar game. Games against Tenn. are going to be doozies!!

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's minutiae, but it's 4 new years and 70M new money. For the purposes of the cap we are losing 17.5M per year not 14.5. They can spread it out over 5 years(14.5M), but if they didn't you could carry over the 12 or so million over to next season(if they spread it evenly).

Either way, the contract is about what I expected having in mind the other RT contracts that were signed earlier this off-season.

Now it's Leonard's turn and I expect him to get about 19.5 a year in new money. That 2018 draft is becoming expensive. I wonder if Hines will be signed?

Yeah, the AAV is high, but it's the cost of doing business. Long gone is the time where you can sign a top-tier RT like Mitchell Schwartz for 5/$33M lol. That was in 2016. The salary cap was lower, but while the 2022 salary cap will be roughly 33% higher than 2016, a RT of that caliber costs 375% more. That's pretty incredible.

If Smith got ~$18M AAV, then I think Nelson is probably going to be $4-5M higher. And their won't be a lot of room for creative accounting for that, as his final year of control is a 5th year option, which is $13.6M gtd.

Hines should only cost $4-5M though, somewhere between Jamaal Williams and Tarik Cohen. So it won't really move the needle.