Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Xavien Howard and his agent have requested a trade

DownHillRunner

13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

That was 11 years ago.   If the NFL investigation reveals any kind of inappropriate behavior,  he is gonna get hammered. 

Very possible, but the talent is undeniable. It's the ultimate chance. I'm not saying the Texans are gonna get 5 first round picks, but the Dolphins, Broncos, or Eagles can still create a more then competitive package.

31 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Very possible, but the talent is undeniable. It's the ultimate chance. I'm not saying the Texans are gonna get 5 first round picks, but the Dolphins, Broncos, or Eagles can still create a more then competitive package.

Oh for sure.   Talent isn't the issue.    

On 7/28/2021 at 9:09 AM, DownHillRunner said:

I have a question for everyone on this post. Does anyone think think Xavien Howard is worth more than what he is currently getting paid? Yes he signed a 4 year deal, but he's outplayed that deal. His base salary is $12 million, Byron Jones his teammate's base salary is $16 million. How is Byron Jones worth more than Howard?...

You're right, Byron Jones is overpaid. I (and likely others) thought that when he signed that contract. Maybe BJ should have his contract reduced? Just because 1 person gets overpaid doesn't mean everybody has to be overpaid. That is part of the reason I dislike everyone 're-setting the market.' Occasionally one team makes a boneheaded contract by drastically overpaying, so then other clubs are expected to match it, because that is somehow now 'the market.'

I could spend $1,000,000.00 on a Hyundai, but it would still be a Hyundai; no one else should be expected to be that daft.

Also FWIW I personally wouldn't want us to trade for Howard, even at his current contract, though many will likely disagree.

-Cheers!

For me, complaining about making $40M is just out of bounds. How many cars can you drive at one time dude? How many homes can you live in at one time dude? These kind of numbers skew the argument over this to extremes.

But, I'm not a believer in "shut up and play" for one reason. I have had more than one job where I went in at the ground level and ended up running the place because my services were valuable. I'm not talking about running a coffee shop that has been passed down through the family for 5 generations either. There is something to be said for a person who goes in with a sense of humility and takes less because they are an unknown quantity and needs a minute to get their head around the environs. But when what you do is making other people wealthy as well, I see nothing wrong with demanding a bigger piece of the pie. This is why free agency exists. It's not the last contract that gets you, it's the first. That's why people change jobs. Company gets you in cheap, you over perform and the company will find reasons not to pay you or just get rid of you when you get too noisy. They will damn sure give you the job, but they won't give you a fair cut.

I have no issues with this whatever. Although, if I were in Howard's position, I would count my blessings first. Nothing wrong with fishing around for a more lucrative deal for a team that needs his services more than Miami, but at the same time we aren't talking about some dude making $50k a year. If he plays his cards right he will never have to work again.

I think this is where athletics and business butt heads. Most jobs, most people to be honest, just hey we just need you to do this this and this. Nothing more, nothing less. The military can be a lot like that too. But some folks just aren't wired that way. They want to be the best and they want the best and they fight for it.

It's the same with any other business, but you don't see that on your TV every Sunday. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Howard Drama is over.      He and the Dolphins have reached a compromise deal.

The team has guaranteed salary this year, (nearly $13 Mill) and added $3.5 Mill in likely makeable incentives.

And the team has added guarantees in his 2022 numbers.    And they've converted certaining bonuses to make it easier to cash in.     So....   both sides appear to be satisfied.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31986832/miami-dolphins-restructure-cb-xavien-howard-deal-trade-demand

" Not respected or valued"  LOL. 

Trying to make it sound like being offered less money than he wants is a personal attack. 

I love it when these players try to turn business situations into personal situations, to then pretend the organization personally offended them or have some sort of inherent offensive culture.

I'm assuming NFL GMs are smart enough to recognize that tired tactic and simply slap that attitude down to where it deserves to go...but they might not have the Will.

Avoid the problem by passing.  Hard pass.

Archived