Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

And so it begins...Leonard to miss start of camp.

Dingus McGirt

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

There are going to be injuries this season.  We don’t need to freak out every time it happens.  

Or maybe some people do….  Sorry.  Carry on…

Well, it is Darius Leonard, who is easily one of our top 5 most important players. So this is warranted if anyone freaks out a little IMO.

From what I read, this sounds less like injury, and more like clean-up from something previous. Sounds like his ankle had been bothering him, so decided the best course of action was to have the minor procedure. And it happened early June, so I'd imagine he won't be out too long.

I'd love to know more about the origins though.

32 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well, it is Darius Leonard, who is easily one of our top 5 most important players. So this is warranted if anyone freaks out a little IMO.

That's what I thought.  Leonard would qualify as an exception to the "don't freak out" rule.    

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

From what I read, this sounds less like injury, and more like clean-up from something previous. Sounds like his ankle had been bothering him, so decided the best course of action was to have the minor procedure. And it happened early June, so I'd imagine he won't be out too long.

I'd love to know more about the origins though.

Yep. If anyone follows his IG he wasn’t even in a boot that long. Then some of the stuff he was doing after it was off it was clear it was just a clean up.  I also think Leonard has had issues with the ankle in the past.

11 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Yep. If anyone follows his IG he wasn’t even in a boot that long. Then some of the stuff he was doing after it was off it was clear it was just a clean up.  I also think Leonard has had issues with the ankle in the past.

I honestly don't recall ankle issues. I do recall groin and back issues though.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

There are going to be injuries this season.  We don’t need to freak out every time it happens.  

It’s pretty bad when camp hasn’t even started. Seems a bit strange he waited until June to have the procedure done. Why not in March so he would be ready to go?

5 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

It’s pretty bad when camp hasn’t even started. Seems a bit strange he waited until June to have the procedure done. Why not in March so he would be ready to go?

Guys try to avoid surgery if at all possible.  I guess he tried rehab but it was still bothering him.  

I'm not too concerned.  With his will and drive, it's going to take more than a sore ankle to keep him off the field when it counts.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I think we all have a bit of PTSD from Luck.  Remember Luck had an injury that was suppose to be minor, something that he would be over in a week or 2 after OTA's.  Than we got to Training camp and he was held out of training camp the entire freaking camp.  Than he just flat out retired a few days before the season started due to being tired of dealing with injuries.

So I get why people get worried when they hear about a minor injury to a star player.  2 years ago when we had a minor injury to a star player he ended up retiring.  

It's going to take a while before people emotionally disconnect from that experience.  

14 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I think we all have a bit of PTSD from Luck.  Remember Luck had an injury that was suppose to be minor, something that he would be over in a week or 2 after OTA's.  Than we got to Training camp and he was held out of training camp the entire freaking camp.  Than he just flat out retired a few days before the season started due to being tired of dealing with injuries.

So I get why people get worried when they hear about a minor injury to a star player.  2 years ago when we had a minor injury to a star player he ended up retiring.  

It's going to take a while before people emotionally disconnect from that experience.  

I still believe Lucks injury was minor. He just couldn’t get over the mental hurdle.

35 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I still believe Lucks injury was minor. He just couldn’t get over the mental hurdle.

As I was watching the Tour De France recently, I had a thought......

...it wasn't about who was the best athlete, it was about who could endure the most pain.

Luck was a wonderful QB, tough, articulate, and fearless. I think he just got tired of the pain. I hold zero issue with him hanging it up. Never-ending pain sucks, I don't care how much money is involved. I had sever lower back pain for 15 years and it finally healed. I wouldn't revisit that for ANY amount of money. 

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

I get the connection, but you're gonna have a bad time being a fan if you freak out every time a player has a minor injury.

Luck's situation was very uncommon. First, he had lingering injuries going back to early 2015, and that injury was mysterious. Then he missed the last half of that season with a different injury. Then he has shoulder surgery more than a year later, and while he's supposed to be back by camp, he winds up missing that season. Finally, we think he's good, and now he had another mysterious injury, and a prolonged recovery. Then he retires. Plus, he's the franchise QB, a critical piece for everything the team is working toward. 

There was a lot of trauma associated with Luck, and his abrupt retirement. That situation doesn't happen every day. 

If Leonard retires between now and the start of the season, feel free to bump this.

57 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

...it wasn't about who was the best athlete, it was about who could endure the most pain.

Luck was a wonderful QB, tough, articulate, and fearless. I think he just got tired of the pain. I hold zero issue with him hanging it up. Never-ending pain sucks, I don't care how much money is involved. I had sever lower back pain for 15 years and it finally healed. I wouldn't revisit that for ANY amount of money. 

Awesome on your back.  What did you do?

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

So your saying there is a chance Luck could return ....in 15 years or so.

44 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Awesome on your back.  What did you do?

3 things. Got a very firm couch that you can't sink down into...and put 2x6 pieces under the feet to get it up in the air so it's more like sitting in a chair. Next, spent the cash to get a very firm mattress on my bed without a pillow top. Last, traded in my Toyota Camry which sat very low to the ground.... in on a 2009 Ford Escape which is also like sitting up in a chair. 

I have recommended this to many folks. It was certainly life changing for me. 

I’m not freaking out but I really believe this is just the beginning of more to come with Darius. I feel he is undersized for his position. He will recover and be ready for the start of the season   But....I just feel he will continue to get nagging injuries until he inevitably starts missing large chunks of games.  The dude is a beast and I hope I’m wrong. Definitely one of my favorite players. 

7 minutes ago, Archer said:

Is Darius Leonard’s wife pregnant?  Or is he with the lady on his other side who apparently just survived a tiger attack?

The larger lady on his right is the big sister to the young girl in torn clothing (aka little sister) on his left. He was on stage for several pairs of bigs/littles to come up and get photographed with him.

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I’m not freaking out but I really believe this is just the beginning of more to come with Darius. I feel he is undersized for his position. He will recover and be ready for the start of the season   But....I just feel he will continue to get nagging injuries until he inevitably starts missing large chunks of games.  The dude is a beast and I hope I’m wrong. Definitely one of my favorite players. 

Darius has never had injury concerns. A concussion I believe has kept him out the most games. Darius said when he plays at a heavier weight that is when he starts getting injured.

4 hours ago, Four2itus said:

3 things. Got a very firm couch that you can't sink down into...and put 2x6 pieces under the feet to get it up in the air so it's more like sitting in a chair. Next, spent the cash to get a very firm mattress on my bed without a pillow top. Last, traded in my Toyota Camry which sat very low to the ground.... in on a 2009 Ford Escape which is also like sitting up in a chair. 

I have recommended this to many folks. It was certainly life changing for me. 

Back pain blows man.  Good on you.

32 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Darius has never had injury concerns. A concussion I believe has kept him out the most games. Darius said when he plays at a heavier weight that is when he starts getting injured.

I hope you are right.  He has missed 12.5% of the games in his first three years. Not bad at all but that’s still a couple games a year. If that’s all we should be happy but in my opinion I think that will double to triple over the next three seasons 

12 hours ago, John Waylon said:

After the Luck debacle I get nervous be default when someone has a foot or leg issue and misses time in camp. 

Rocking Back And Forth Family Guy GIF

Major difference is the desire level here.... Luck made it abundantly clear he had a huge life outside of FB.... DL.... He lives for the game a bit more, so that erases a lot of that type of concern for me 

10 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I also think the fact he was about to become a dad just made him go you know there is way more to life than football.  He already had some of that before he got to the NFL but I think becoming a father might have pushed him over the edge too.  No one wants to not be able to do things with your kids because of pain.

18 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I also think the fact he was about to become a dad just made him go you know there is way more to life than football.  He already had some of that before he got to the NFL but I think becoming a father might have pushed him over the edge too.  No one wants to not be able to do things with your kids because of pain.

I think many understand why Luck retired but many will agree it was just the timing of it. He had everyone believing he was going to play in 2019. He should've just made announcement soon after losing to KC in the playoffs. That would've been before the draft. A simple, I talked it over with my wife and I am just in too much pain play anymore. That would've been good enough for everyone IMO. 

One thing too that nobody mentions is he replaced a top 3 QB of all-time and the expectations coming out of college for Luck was, he will be close to what Manning was. So of course a lot of people were upset and disappointed when he stepped away. We expected a SB win from Luck as fans. 

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think many understand why Luck retired but many will agree it was just the timing of it. He had everyone believing he was going to play in 2019. He should've just made announcement soon after losing to KC in the playoffs. That would've been before the draft. A simple, I talked it over with my wife and I am just in too much pain play anymore. That would've been good enough for everyone IMO. 

One thing too that nobody mentions is he replaced a top 3 QB of all-time and the expectations coming out of college for Luck was, he will be close to what Manning was. So of course a lot of people were upset and disappointed when he stepped away. We expected a SB win from Luck as fans. 

For some reason I remember hearing that Ballard and Irsay knew before he was wanting to retire.  I believe they asked him to hangout with the team in hopes it would entice him to keep going.  

I personally don’t see an issue with how he quit. His choice so whatever.  There isn’t a single way he could have done it where I and most people would dislike it less. I hope Wentz makes us move on as  a fan base.  Luck had loads of potential and it didn’t work out.  In 10-20yrs he will be mostly forgotten.  Just like RG3 and Chad Pennington, it just didn’t work out for Luck and that’s ok. That whole thing with Grigson and Pagano was doomed from the start. 

15 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Yep...have the same feeling. I have always thought he looked more like a big WR playing LB. And he plays so physical. Injuries are part of football, but I think Leonard is going to be more susceptible than most, especially if he continues to play at 215.

I won't be surprised to see him miss 2-3 games per year going forward. I think we can happily all live with that though, given his play when he's on the field. Just hope it's not something that all adds up into something more.

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yep...have the same feeling. I have always thought he looked more like a big WR playing LB. And he plays so physical. Injuries are part of football, but I think Leonard is going to be more susceptible than most, especially if he continues to play at 215.

I won't be surprised to see him miss 2-3 games per year going forward. I think we can happily all live with that though, given his play when he's on the field. Just hope it's not something that all adds up into something more.

He already averages missing 2 games a year.  I think that number will creep up to 4-5 games a year. I so hope we are wrong about this bc I love Darius Leonard. Such a talented player and his energy fuels the rest of the defense. 

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

For some reason I remember hearing that Ballard and Irsay knew before he was wanting to retire.  I believe they asked him to hangout with the team in hopes it would entice him to keep going.  

I personally don’t see an issue with how he quit. His choice so whatever.  There isn’t a single way he could have done it where I and most people would dislike it less. I hope Wentz makes us move on as  a fan base.  Luck had loads of potential and it didn’t work out.  In 10-20yrs he will be mostly forgotten.  Just like RG3 and Chad Pennington, it just didn’t work out for Luck and that’s ok. That whole thing with Grigson and Pagano was doomed from the start. 

I think Luck will be remembered a bit more than RG3 and Pennington. But I don't have a problem with him retiring. It was a choice he made...and he takes responsibility for that decision. 

7 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I think Luck will be remembered a bit more than RG3 and Pennington. But I don't have a problem with him retiring. It was a choice he made...and he takes responsibility for that decision. 

I think that will be true for Colts fans but I say fans of other teams, especially NFC teams will forget about him much sooner. They didn’t have to face him more than twice and he didn’t accomplish much career wise in the grand scheme besides a few good seasons. Especially if the Colts start to become contenders with Wentz. A decent example may be Dante Culpepper.  Great start to his career but ended early bc of injuries.  Not forgotten but not discussed much outside the MN and perhaps Miami fan base

Archived