Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What do you think about trading Marlon Mack speculation?

Myles

Been seeing some stuff about how the Colts and Rams could make a trade.  Nothing official.   Has Mack going to the Rams for a 5th round pick.

While good for the Rams and great for Mack, that would suck for the Colts.   I like going into the season with a very solid RB crew.  If Hines or Taylor would miss some time, we would still be fine.   We could go into the late part of the season with Taylor on fresh legs.   For the future, it could be very good to save 150 carries on Taylors legs.

I'll be bummed if the Colts would do this.

Mack's playing time could probably be replaced by a 5th round pick next year.  If he does well this year, he'll command too much money to keep as JTs occasional breather.  Makes more sense to get something for him.  Works out better if he gets cut by the NFL and we get a 5th round replacement for giving up a guy who didn't recover well enough.

I'd make the trade. 

If Ballard gets a call on Mack for a 4th, I'd be a bit surprised if he didn't take it- just because I don't see Mack being back next year and there's Hines and Wilkens who are worthy of some touches. A 5th maybe is a bit less enticing.

5 minutes ago, coltsfan1965 said:

It might depend on how someone like Deon Jackson does in camp. Could he be the 4th RB who plays on special teams? It also depends on Mack's achilles.

Jackson is an interesting prospect. Not sure if he has the speed to take the step up to the NFL. Good power in college though, and can catch the ball. Darius Anderson might be more likely.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Jackson is an interesting prospect. Not sure if he has the speed to take the step up to the NFL. Good power in college though, and can catch the ball. Darius Anderson might be more likely.

Supposedly, what he has is speed (4.4 40 on his pro day). What he may not have is ball security. Can that be coached? We might see.

39 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Mack's playing time could probably be replaced by a 5th round pick next year.  If he does well this year, he'll command too much money to keep as JTs occasional breather.  Makes more sense to get something for him.  Works out better if he gets cut by the NFL and we get a 5th round replacement for giving up a guy who didn't recover well enough.

I'd make the trade. 

Not me.   I love the stable we have at RB for this season.   

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Been seeing some stuff about how the Colts and Rams could make a trade.  Nothing official.   Has Mack going to the Rams for a 5th round pick.

While good for the Rams and great for Mack, that would suck for the Colts.   I like going into the season with a very solid RB crew.  If Hines or Taylor would miss some time, we would still be fine.   We could go into the late part of the season with Taylor on fresh legs.   For the future, it could be very good to save 150 carries on Taylors legs.

Probably Trotta wrote about a trade. He thinks the Colts should sign every fee agent and trade 1/2 the team.

6 minutes ago, coltsfan1965 said:

Supposedly, what he has is speed (4.4 40 on his pro day). What he may not have is ball security. Can that be coached? We might see.

The 4.42 surprised most. His agility scores were pretty bad IIRC, and as important as the 40 IMO. 

And yup, the fumbles are a concern.

23 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

It can be, look at JT. But we lost the master Rathman, he retired this year but he was the reason our RBs were so good at not fumbling.

Helps when the RBs dont fumble. Ball security is pretty straight forward. 

51 minutes ago, Myles said:

Not me.   I love the stable we have at RB for this season.   

I get it.  It would be tough to replace Mack for this season, assuming that he returns to full form.  But for roster management, which is usually a three year look, a trade would be smart, IMO. 

I think a team is always looking for players that have upside.  Backup RB would seem to be a place for that potential to be rostered.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I get it.  Cam Akers just got injured, and the Rams' already thin backfield is even thinner.  And it's my take that the reason we signed Mack at all this season was to have a 1a backup for Taylor in case he got hurt, just like Taylor did for him last year, and also to show prospective teams that Mack can still play.  Because he definitely won't be with us next year.

So, if a team wants to pull the trigger on him now instead of in 2022, well then more power to Mack.  He gets to have his career extended.  But if I were CB, I would definitely try to negotiate for something better than a 5th.

25 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I get it.  It would be tough to replace Mack for this season, assuming that he returns to full form.  But for roster management, which is usually a three year look, a trade would be smart, IMO. 

I think a team is always looking for players that have upside.  Backup RB would seem to be a place for that potential to be rostered.

Ballard has done well with his 5th round picks (Wilkins, Tell, E.J Speed, Pinter, Walker).   I'm just thinking of this season.  Mack makes the Colts better this season.  That's why he was signed in the first place.  

5 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Imagine Ballard trading Mack for a 4th, he balls out and JT gets injured. People would be begging for Grigson to come over to their house to eat sushi. 

Ballard has done good with 4th round picks (Willis, Hines, Stewart, Mack).   I would be a little less pessimistic on a 4th round pick instead of a 5th round pick, but it would still be a loss for the 2021 team.

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

Imagine Ballard trading Mack for a 4th, he balls out and JT gets injured. People would be begging for Grigson to come over to their house to eat sushi. 

Maybe some people.  I would still rather have BBQ with Ballard.

I assume that this is only a viable option after Mack shows he can still play in the preseason?   If he’s limited then, it’s not even an option.  

There are plenty of FAs out there, like Bell and even Peterson, that the Rams can pick up.  

Getting rid of talented, playmaking type of players for mid-round/late round pick is imo foolish. I doubt Ballard does that or at least hope he doesn't in Mack's case.

And btw, it would be hard to replace him with a mid to late round pick next draft. If healthy,  he's one of the better backs in league.

10 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Getting rid of talented, playmaking type of players for mid-round/late round pick is imo foolish. I doubt Ballard does that or at least hope he doesn't in Mack's case.

And btw, it would be hard to replace him with a mid to late round pick next draft. If healthy,  he's one of the better backs in league.

He's gone after this season so I don't think replacing him factors into this idea at all.  

I hope we keep him for this season.   

4 hours ago, The Fish said:

If Ballard gets a call on Mack for a 4th, I'd be a bit surprised if he didn't take it- just because I don't see Mack being back next year and there's Hines and Wilkens who are worthy of some touches. A 5th maybe is a bit less enticing.

I agree with this. I love Mack but it would make too much sense to trade him for a 4th if someone offered it.

1 hour ago, Mackrel829 said:

I agree with this. I love Mack but it would make too much sense to trade him for a 4th if someone offered it.

I think as long as there are players like Adrian Peterson and Leveon Bell on the market, it’s hard to see anyone offering the Colts a 4 for a guy coming off an Achilles injury.   I’m not even sure we’d be offered a 5 with quality guys still on the street. 

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think as long as there are players like Adrian Peterson and Leveon Bell on the market, it’s hard to see anyone offering the Colts a 4 for a guy coming off an Achilles injury.   I’m not even sure we’d be offered a 5 with quality guys still on the street. 

Agreed. I'd consider trading Mack for a mid round pick, but it would probably be conditional. More likely would be trading Wilkins.

39 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

I prefer to keep Mack, and I don't see Ballard trading him. Now Wilkins could be the odd man out although that isn't a for sure thing either. Mack is a 1000 + yard back when he stays on the field. 

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

Agreed. I'd consider trading Mack for a mid round pick, but it would probably be conditional. More likely would be trading Wilkins.

But what trade value would Wilkins have if any?

If I am trading Mack it would be for 3rd rounder at worse. He is a proven good player and is still young, I know his injury wasn't good but he should be close to 100% by now. A 3rd round pick could easily turn into another good defensive player. If it is not at least a 3rd, then no deal I say. I like our 3-headed monster in Taylor, Hines, and Mack.  

Im worried to think what we would have looked like last year had we not taken The rb at #2.

God forbid Taylor misses some time.  Maybe i’m naive, but Mack as an insurance policy just feels better than a 4th or 5th (future) in the pocket.

If this is a year we wanna make a run, then keep him on.  Now, if the Rams wanna trade one of those defensive assets for him, i MAY change my mind.

I think Wilkins has a James Conner type ceiling. I don't have a lot to base this on, mainly thinking about his speed. I did notice good vision and not many negative runs. On the other hand I don't think he really would consistently have big plays. I would be more than happy for him to prove me wrong. I just don't see that happening unless Mack is either totally garbage this year, or gets majorly injured. 

7 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Im worried to think what we would have looked like last year had we not taken The rb at #2.

God forbid Taylor misses some time.  Maybe i’m naive, but Mack as an insurance policy just feels better than a 4th or 5th (future) in the pocket.

If this is a year we wanna make a run, then keep him on.  Now, if the Rams wanna trade one of those defensive assets for him, i MAY change my mind.

I agree 100%, that is why unless they offer us a 3rd no way I trade him.

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If I am trading Mack it would be for 3rd rounder at worse. He is a proven good player and is still young, I know his injury wasn't good but he should be close to 100% by now. A 3rd round pick could easily turn into another good defensive player. If it is not at least a 3rd, then no deal I say. I like our 3-headed monster in Taylor, Hines, and Mack.  

I don’t think you’re following the thread very closely.   I seriously doubt we’d get a 4 or a 5 for a RB coming off an Achilles injury.   Especially not while guys like Peterson and Bell are still available.  

So if it’s unlikely we’re getting a 5 and 4, you can bet the farm we’re NOT getting a 3.   Rest well.   Sleep well.   A 3 is simply not happening.  I don’t even think Ballard would have the nerve to ask for a 3.   That would be very, very un-Ballard like. 

Archived