Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Depth at LBer concern

CR91

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm trying not to turn one game into more than it is.

Fact is....   we let Walker walk out the door without so much as a counter-off.     At the same time,  we're trying to sign Leonard to one of the largest contracts any LB has ever received.     The two players are not comparable.

I'm trying to say it's just one game.   Nothing more.    It's not proof of anything more than just one game.

The original post I was referring to, didn't say Walker was better than Leonard, or anything close. It simply said something like we didn't miss a beat, or something to that effect. And at least against Cleveland, I think that's a fair comment. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

You're correct.  We were in the top third for sacks and PPG.  Stats can be misleading sometimes and don't represent what we actually see.  Like game one where the mustache looked as good as Drew Brees.  I know, week 1 was weird.  Add to it we played a pretty weak schedule.

I think week 1 was bad coaching. And we played softer than Charmin Ultra Soft. Way too much cushion and the Stache ate us up. We actually gave him the looks he needed to succeed lol.. 

They're also normalized and often don't represent what a team really is by the middle/end of the season.  (Steelers led the league in sacks.  Yet the Browns destroyed them in the playoffs, and Baker wasn't touched)

Browns have one of the best, if not the best, OL in the league. So that's a matchup I wouldn't say is the norm. Steelers are struggling too. Not sure how long they'll stand pat before rebuilding.

The eye test showed me that we were letting most QBs take a lot of time in the pocket.

That's what happens though when you only rush 4 and are near league low in blitzing. OLs settle in, and can play conservative.

As far as D Line depth, you're also correct.  The ceiling isn't real high, but the floor is pretty good.  There are going to be a couple guys who will get cut that can make other teams.

I know we have no shot at getting Jones.  I wonder if we'll see Houston again.

I think the ceiling is pretty high actually. I just think it might take time.

And the floor this year could be low vs the pass. We're literally counting on every DE to do something they've never done lol.

Archived