Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Depth at LBer concern

CR91

I'm seeing a similar pattern as T last year with a lack of depth and/or unproven players. We are one Leonard or Okereke injury away from Franklin, Adams, or Speed starting and honestly that scares me. Being good on STs doesn't mean you're gonna excel on defense. I honestly hope the Colts sign a vet like K.J Wright to atleast have someone with starting experience.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

The reality of the NFL is that you cant have great back ups at every position group

We have some talented back ups, you hope they do enough when called upon

But the colts didn't even try to replace Walker unless you count signing Malik Jefferson

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I like Okereke, but I still think we should've kept Walker. 

He was like DQ Jackson. He wasn't super flashy/fast, but was always in the right spot at the right time and was a tackling machine. 

Walker was very much like Jackson became.
 Pretty much when the offense Wants a gimme 7 yard pass play, there they were to be exploited. Speed should be the next man up. And no doubt he is going to need considerable game experience to play fast. That is just part of it.

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

But the colts didn't even try to replace Walker unless you count signing Malik Jefferson

Hmmm, they must believe his equal or better is already on the team.
 Walker's snaps were heading South. He was very replaceable considering his poor pass coverage.

29 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Hmmm, they must believe his equal or better is already on the team.
 Walker's snaps were heading South. He was very replaceable considering his poor pass coverage.

Well Bobby is basically the appointed starter. No one is challenging him for the spot which honestly I think is a mistake as I'm not overly impressed by his game. Sure hes good in coverage, but can't disengage and always gets caught in the trash. Reminds me honestly of a watered down version of Brackett

29 minutes ago, Myles said:

We do have 9 LB's currently on the roster.   Ballard must believe the depth will emerge from there.   

I can have 9 QBs on the roster. Doesn't mean one of them is Mahomes haha

4 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

He was like DQ Jackson. He wasn't super flashy/fast, but was always in the right spot at the right time and was a tackling machine. 

me too

6 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

The reality of the NFL is that you cant have great back ups at every position group

We have some talented back ups, you hope they do enough when called upon

I agree you can't have great backups everywhere. I do think we're a bit more exposed here than just not having proven backups. Oke has a lot to prove this year. I'm honestly not that worried about him getting injured, but an injury to Leonard could crush us. And we're kind of at a larger disadvantage because we play a 4-2-5 for 80ish % of snaps, so it's not like it's easy for us to move folks around. 

10 hours ago, CR91 said:

I'm seeing a similar pattern as T last year with a lack of depth and/or unproven players. We are one Leonard or Okereke injury away from Franklin, Adams, or Speed starting and honestly that scares me. Being good on STs doesn't mean you're gonna excel on defense. I honestly hope the Colts sign a vet like K.J Wright to atleast have someone with starting experience.

Wright would be nice. I wouldn't mind looking for a trade as well. 

Honestly though, I'm really hoping we see Speed emerge.

My biggest fear though (for LB) is our run D taking a big step back.

42 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

me too

I agree you can't have great backups everywhere. I do think we're a bit more exposed here than just not having proven backups. Oke has a lot to prove this year. I'm honestly not that worried about him getting injured, but an injury to Leonard could crush us. And we're kind of at a larger disadvantage because we play a 4-2-5 for 80ish % of snaps, so it's not like it's easy for us to move folks around. 

Wright would be nice. I wouldn't mind looking for a trade as well. 

Honestly though, I'm really hoping we see Speed emerge.

My biggest fear though (for LB) is our run D taking a big step back.

I don't think our run D is very concerning.  We are at least going to be decent at that if not really good.  I don't see our pass defense improving this season the way the roster looks now.

I too have PTSD from watching teams just gash us in the run game over the years, but now it's the short pass thing over and over that we seem to have no good answers for.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

I don't think our run D is very concerning.  We are at least going to be decent at that if not really good.  I don't see our pass defense improving this season the way the roster looks now.

I too have PTSD from watching teams just gash us in the run game over the years, but now it's the short pass thing over and over that we seem to have no good answers for.

Our front 7, really our front 6 since we play 4-2-5 most of the time, will have 2.5 new starters. The 0.5 being Okereke, who has struggled vs the run already. Then you're looking at Paye/Turay/Lewis in the other two new starter spots, which we really don't know how they'll do vs the run.

Outside of Buckner and Leonard, the whole "vs the run" situation is a wild card to me.

26 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Our front 7, really our front 6 since we play 4-2-5 most of the time, will have 2.5 new starters. The 0.5 being Okereke, who has struggled vs the run already. Then you're looking at Paye/Turay/Lewis in the other two new starter spots, which we really don't know how they'll do vs the run.

Outside of Buckner and Leonard, the whole "vs the run" situation is a wild card to me.

Maybe.  Pace should be able to hold his own v the run, if not yikes.  Between him Buck and Stewart, I expect them to be solid up the middle and keep Leonard and whatever other LB clean, and Blackmon should be good helping out.  

that said East if we aren’t good v. The run our D will be a disaster because we can’t guard a parked car.

13 hours ago, CR91 said:

Kind of interesting that people are concerned about quality depth at LB, CB, DE, and LT.  But not a lot are concerned about quality depth at the most important position on the team.  

Ballard has to walk a fine line.  He either stays with Eason and takes a huge chance, or brings in an experienced backup and risks Wentz’s psyche. 

Sorry, I don’t mean to derail your thread. But IMHO, that’s the biggest area of depth concern on the team…by miles.  

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Kind of interesting that people are concerned about quality depth at LB, CB, DE, and LT.  But not a lot are concerned about quality depth at the most important position on the team.  

Ballard has to walk a fine line.  He either stays with Eason and takes a huge chance, or brings in an experienced backup and risks Wentz’s psyche. 

Sorry, I don’t mean to derail your thread. But IMHO, that’s the biggest area of depth concern on the team…by miles.  

It MIGHT be an area of concern.   Perhaps Ballard (and Reich) think Eason is good.   If that is the case, I am fine with Eason as the back up.  

19 minutes ago, Myles said:

It MIGHT be an area of concern.   Perhaps Ballard (and Reich) think Eason is good.   If that is the case, I am fine with Eason as the back up.  

That kind of proves my point.  Most are okay with a guy who’s had the same amount of NFL snaps as me as a backup QB.  But we’re concerned (me including) about the quality of the depth at other positions where we have veterans.  

I’m sure you could apply the same logic.  If Ballard and Reich think those guys are good enough, why should we be concerned?

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

Sorry, but letting Walker go was an answer. And Ya-Sin is on the ropes.
Patience. Give the new guys half a season please.

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

I can have 9 QBs on the roster. Doesn't mean one of them is Mahomes haha

They wouldn't have to be Mahomes, just Andy Dalton or someone like that.

Darius Leonard is Mahomes and Bobby O is Baker Mayfield. You don't need another Mahomes, just a competent starter in case of injury and to play occasionally in 3 LB formations.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Vet QBs imo are a wasted spot on the team. Look at Hoyer who couldn't even beat the dolphins. Look at what the Patriots have done with their backup QBs. Mallet, Cassell, Jimmy G, Hoyer. All got traded for compensation. I'd rather work on a project and potentially either have trade bait or a very good option if needed.

44 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

They wouldn't have to be Mahomes, just Andy Dalton or someone like that.

Darius Leonard is Mahomes and Bobby O is Baker Mayfield. You don't need another Mahomes, just a competent starter in case of injury and to play occasionally in 3 LB formations.

Dalton has atleast started for many years in this league. Franklin, Adams, and Speed might have a handful of starts under their belts.

17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Vet QBs imo are a wasted spot on the team. Look at Hoyer who couldn't even beat the dolphins. Look at what the Patriots have done with their backup QBs. Mallet, Cassell, Jimmy G, Hoyer. All got traded for compensation. I'd rather work on a project and potentially either have trade bait or a very good option if needed.

Nick Foles says hello!

Jeff Hostetler says hello!

Ryan Fitzpatrick says hello!

Ryan Tannehill says hello!

Earl Morrill says hello!

Matt Hasselbeck says hello!

Frank Freaking Reich says hello!

As for your list….  How is it you cited Hoyer as an example of a bad vet for the Colts, but a quality backup for the Pats?   That’s a nice trick! 

Goodness gracious….

33 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Nick Foles says hello!

Jeff Hostetler says hello!

Ryan Fitzpatrick says hello!

Ryan Tannehill says hello!

Earl Morrill says hello!

Matt Hasselbeck says hello!

Frank Freaking Reich says hello!

As for your list….  How is it you cited Hoyer as an example of a bad vet for the Colts, but a quality backup for the Pats?   That’s a nice trick! 

Goodness gracious….

You're basically mentioning guys who had one good game or playoffs. Morrell fine, but Tannerhill was a backup for like half a season.

Hoyer was trash. I'm saying the Pats make them look like fool's gold.

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

You’re missing my point.  Why are you (not singling you out) concerned about LB debt?  Because if DL or BO go down we don’t have a lot of experience behind them.  Even though the other guys have actual game experience.  Yes, it’s a drop off, but at least we know they can play. 

But you (again, not just you) are not concerned about what happens if Wentz goes down.  

I'm not saying Eason can’t play, but at this point none of us know.  If we’re true contenders, don’t we want that insurance policy to be a known commodity.  Sort of like Luck/Hasselbeck.

17 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

You’re missing my point.  Why are you (not singling you out) concerned about LB debt?  Because if DL or BO go down we don’t have a lot of experience behind them.  Even though the other guys have actual game experience.  Yes, it’s a drop off, but at least we know they can play. 

But you (again, not just you) are not concerned about what happens if Wentz goes down.  

I'm not saying Eason can’t play, but at this point none of us know.  If we’re true contenders, don’t we want that insurance policy to be a known commodity.  Sort of like Luck/Hasselbeck.

Do you have any vet QB in mind to sign?

Eason had the strongest  arm in the draft  class, now does that mean he will excel if pressed into duty ? No, because his flaw was taking too long to read defenses and that is what we have been working on with him and we dont know if he has corrected it enough to be effective.

Now Speed nor Franklin nor Adams were the strongest at anything in their draft classes, all are backup material and 2 could well be cut, 1 most definitely. LB  is our weakest spot, still saying Malik wins the spot, highest drafted lb outside of Leonard (11 spots above Okereke) and most upside he just hasnt reached it as of yet but we have a whole different D than he has played in so a clean slate. Skai Moore is being overlooked as well he will be in the mix like he was 2 years ago. We could also see  B.B. shifted back there if he continues to struggle on the line, club is not ready to cut ties yet by any means.

16 hours ago, Nickster said:

Maybe.  Pace should be able to hold his own v the run, if not yikes.  Between him Buck and Stewart, I expect them to be solid up the middle and keep Leonard and whatever other LB clean, and Blackmon should be good helping out.  

that said East if we aren’t good v. The run our D will be a disaster because we can’t guard a parked car.

Not saying we're going to be horrible vs the run, just saying we have a lot of new pieces. I'm honestly not sure Paye will even be in on early run downs at this point. Could be Lewis and AQM, or Lewis and Rochell. We all know Buckner is a monster, but beyond that, just not sure. Grover is good, but not great. I'd love to see him continue to develop. He's only in on early downs most sets though.

But yes, if we fail in that area, our D could be scary bad. I'm just hoping Blackmon learns to cover deep, RYS is healthy and returns to 2H 2019 form, Rhodes has a few more years left, and Kenny stays healthy. I expect Willis will be his solid self. I expect a shaky start to the season though.

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

Do you have any vet QB in mind to sign?

I don’t think a decision can be made until the preseason when we all see if Eason can play.  There are guys out there like Barkley, who can get you through a game or two in a pinch.  From what I read the Bears will probably keep Foles simply because his contract makes it easy for them

But my point was that it’s interesting that most of of aren’t really concerned about the backup QB even though it’s the position that we have least experience.  

16 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I think the QB position is a little unique in terms of depth expectation and planning. 

And it depends on your expectations of the team.  See below in my response to CR91 for more.

15 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Sorry, but letting Walker go was an answer. And Ya-Sin is on the ropes.
Patience. Give the new guys half a season please.

Not sure I understand. How was letting Walker go an "answer". 

14 hours ago, CR91 said:

Couple points here... 

1. Hoyer's loss vs Miami was 99% on Reich. After Hoyer played pretty well vs Pitt (coming in cold) in which he had 3 TDs / 1 INT and completed 65% of passes, Reich chose to 1) not practice Hoyer with the 1s leading up to the Miami game, and 2) chose to throw it all over the school yard (around 40 attempts) vs a team that was horrible vs the run. Just super bad game plan and prep.
  2. I agree that a pricey vet QB, or spending much on a backup QB in general is pretty much a waste. That is, unless you are a true SB contender going into the year (and can afford it). I've always felt if your starting QB goes down for the year, might as well accept things and embrace a higher draft pick come next draft. It's extremely rare to go deep with a backup. Even Foles wasn't seen as a high end backup. He was just off a cheap one year deal, and was contemplating retirement. He came back to Philly for a moderate deal, which most thought was even too much. That was purely luck.
  3. Just my opinion, but I like riding out Eason and trying to develop him along the way. And trade him (if he's not in contention for starting job) later if you can get picks, or keep him if he's decent and cheap. I, like you, like what the Pats do most years.

23 hours ago, CR91 said:

Well Bobby is basically the appointed starter. No one is challenging him for the spot which honestly I think is a mistake as I'm not overly impressed by his game. Sure hes good in coverage, but can't disengage and always gets caught in the trash. Reminds me honestly of a watered down version of Brackett

You have to NOT Believe in getting better, and try as i might i can't get the Bracket comparison. Bracket became pretty decent against the run but his height/length was a weakness dropping in coverage.
 Oke seems the opposite. As of today.
 Some think he has a brain and that experience should benefit him in all areas of his game. This should be a really good learning year for him.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I think the QB position is a little unique in terms of depth expectation and planning. 

And it depends on your expectations of the team.  See below in my response to CR91 for more.

Not sure I understand. How was letting Walker go an "answer". 

Couple points here... 

1. Hoyer's loss vs Miami was 99% on Reich. After Hoyer played pretty well vs Pitt (coming in cold) in which he had 3 TDs / 1 INT and completed 65% of passes, Reich chose to 1) not practice Hoyer with the 1s leading up to the Miami game, and 2) chose to throw it all over the school yard (around 40 attempts) vs a team that was horrible vs the run. Just super bad game plan and prep.
  2. I agree that a pricey vet QB, or spending much on a backup QB in general is pretty much a waste. That is, unless you are a true SB contender going into the year (and can afford it). I've always felt if your starting QB goes down for the year, might as well accept things and embrace a higher draft pick come next draft. It's extremely rare to go deep with a backup. Even Foles wasn't seen as a high end backup. He was just off a cheap one year deal, and was contemplating retirement. He came back to Philly for a moderate deal, which most thought was even too much. That was purely luck.
  3. Just my opinion, but I like riding out Eason and trying to develop him along the way. And trade him (if he's not in contention for starting job) later if you can get picks, or keep him if he's decent and cheap. I, like you, like what the Pats do most years.

That Walker was so bad in coverage they had to get him off the roster.
 The question is why are we so bad in coverage? Exit Walker.
 And, Ya-Sin will never have the speed so i believe he is not in great shape to be on the roster past this season. My crystal ball. Could he become a safety?

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

And it depends on your expectations of the team….

1. I agree that a pricey vet QB, or spending much on a backup QB in general is pretty much a waste. That is, unless you are a true SB contender going into the year (and can afford it). I've always felt if your starting QB goes down for the year, might as well accept things and embrace a higher draft pick come next draft. It's extremely rare to go deep with a backup. Even Foles wasn't seen as a high end backup. He was just off a cheap one year deal, and was contemplating retirement. He came back to Philly for a moderate deal, which most thought was even too much. That was purely luck.
  2. Just my opinion, but I like riding out Eason and trying to develop him along the way. And trade him (if he's not in contention for starting job) later if you can get picks, or keep him if he's decent and cheap. I, like you, like what the Pats do most years.

So, do you think we’re a serious contender?

Agree with you if Peyton or Rodgers is your QB.  But if you’re a run heavy team with a great Oline and a good D, a veteran backup can take you pretty far.  We’re all saying we’re not counting on Wentz to be the savior.  Just be decent and use the weapons.  Call it luck, but the Eagles did prove that out.  

All that being said, I agree with your last point. 

7 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

That Walker was so bad in coverage they had to get him off the roster.
 The question is why are we so bad in coverage? Exit Walker.
 And, Ya-Sin will never have the speed so i believe he is not in great shape to be on the roster past this season. My crystal ball. Could he become a safety?

IDK. Walker was playing mostly early downs vs the run. Their (Walker and Oke) passing grades (passer rating allowed, etc) were very similar. Oke's grades overall took a huge step back in year 2 (sub 50 PFF too). With Walker playing mostly run downs (and good at defending the run), and Oke playing mostly passing downs (and his grades weren't good), I just don't see that as an "answer". And Oke will be playing run downs now, which is one of the digs on him to begin with. Exit Walker yes, but enter big gamble. And keep in mind, when Leonard went down, it was Walker who they moved to WILL, not Oke, which says something.

RYS is a 4.51 guy. Not elite speed, but more than enough. We saw him play very very well the 2H of 2019. He had injuries last year, early, middle, and late season. So speed is not really a reason I'd rule him out on. I do wonder though if he'd be more of a natural fit in a man scheme.

I do think he'd make a good S, but not ready to abandon his potential at CB just yet.

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

So, do you think we’re a serious contender?

Agree with you if Peyton or Rodgers is your QB.  But if you’re a run heavy team with a great Oline and a good D, a veteran backup can take you pretty far.  We’re all saying we’re not counting on Wentz to be the savior.  Just be decent and use the weapons.  Call it luck, but the Eagles did prove that out.  

All that being said, I agree with your last point. 

The Eagles were a very rare situation. It's certainly not a model to build after. Look at them post 2017. IMO, that was a lot of luck. Look at Foles' entire history. He simply wasn't that good. Very inconsistent career.

You don't have to count on Wentz to be a savior, for him to be very good. He's played at top 10ish levels in QBR 3 out of his 4 years. I for one, don't believe we need to use him as a game manager. I think think we need to simply be balanced. A vet backup QB in our system might get us to the playoffs, but they aren't taking us deep. And keep in mind Philly had a top 5 D that year. 

I'd be fine though with a "cheap" vet backup on a short term deal. I think there are sometimes great bargains to be had, like Winston last year with NO. But I'm more than fine with rolling with Eason. If Wentz goes down, I'll enjoy the rest of the season, but my expectations will be far lower, and I'd rather have a high draft pick, than a 8-8 team, or early out in the playoffs.

On 7/23/2021 at 8:10 AM, lollygagger8 said:

yea he just really sucked in coverage and in this defense you have to be above average in coverage, walker just wasn’t that. Darius and Bobby are both great cover guys that can tackle as well. 

56 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

yea he just really sucked in coverage and in this defense you have to be above average in coverage, walker just wasn’t that. Darius and Bobby are both great cover guys that can tackle as well. 

You really think Okereke and Leonard are great coverage guys?

Just chuckling about some of the comments in this thread. Still trying to figure out where this perception that Leonard and Okereke are good at coverage, or that Walker is so awful. I freely admit Walker's coverage is sub par, but his numbers seem to be better than Oke's.... What's that say? Walker had the lowest completion %, lowest yards per target and completion, and lowest YAC average.

IDK... lol. Can someone explain away the simple numbers. Is this all "eye test", and "well, Ballard says" stuff.... 

Just some quick raw numbers

Blue - best

Red - worst

Note - not including Franklin due to sample size

Snaps
Leonard - 79.94%
Okereke - 66.38%
Walker - 67.54%
Franklin - 8.33%

Targets/Completions/%
Leonard - 70 / 57 / 81.4%
Okereke - 61 / 48 / 78.7%
Walker - 50 / 38 / 76%
Franklin - 2 / 2 / 100%
**Fred Warner - 62.3%
**Bobby Wagner - 64.2%
**Eric Kendric - 70.7%

Yards / YPComp / YPTarget
Leonard - 474 / 8.3 / 6.8
Okereke - 437 / 9.1 / 7.2
Walker - 287 / 7.6 / 5.7
Franklin - 28 / 14 / 14 

YAC / YPTarget / YPComp 
Leonard - 309 / 4.4 / 5.4
Okereke - 257 / 4.2 / 5.4
Walker - 158 / 2.7 / 4.1
Franklin - 13 / 6.5 /6.5

Blitzes / Pressures / Pressure %
Leonard - 45 / 8 / 18%
Okereke - 26 / 1 / 4%
Walker - 22 / 3 / 14%
Franklin - 1 / 1 / 100%

Tackles / Ts per snap
Leonard - 132 / 0.16
Okereke -72 / 0.11
Walker - 92 / 0.13
Franklin - 19 / .22

On 7/23/2021 at 10:20 AM, CR91 said:

I count drafting Okereke as replacing Walker.... That's what most knew the eventual situation to be from the moment the pick was turned in.  In the time between then and now, having Oke as a backup was a luxury.... We play primarily 2 LBers anyway, speed/Franklin/Moore/etc is fine.

28 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You really think Okereke and Leonard are great coverage guys?

Leonard can cover.... Even simply looking at takeaways.... Walker didn't suck at coverage statistically?  That was probably because it's hard to contest a catch if the guy running the route blew you off the LOS....lol

Archived