Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Positions in flux

Four2itus

I think there is time for at least one more thread to discuss the upcoming season. This one is in respect to the positions that have been altered....or have an even or unknown playing field going in.

In no particular order....

QB#2 - Eason seems like the sure front runner. However, because the kid never got an NFL snap, the position is wide open. He may have an advantage with the year he spent with position coaches and studying film...not to mention being a part of the QB room with Jacoby and Phillip. But when you consider Eason, Morton, and Ehlinger, I don't ever remember a deeper group of young men working to get the number 2 spot. It's quite exciting.

Pass rusher - The Colts let go of Houston and Autry, and drafted Paye and Oyedingo. The entire Colts nation is holding their collective breath for the anticipated blossoming of Turay. This could go so many ways. How cool would it be that by next season, the team is making hard decisions about who to keep on the roster? Remember MJD running for 375 on the Colts? Ya, those days are over...

WR - TY had a tough year. I truly think that Wentz is the right QB to see TY get back on the stallion. Let us not forget, if a QB can get him the ball away from the defender....even a foot away....TY will make that catch. Honestly, I don't think there will be a more motivated player next season. Watch. Pittman is going to be a load. If Patmon is going to show something, now is the time. The Colts express is getting ready to take off, and he needs to punch a ticket. I loved the remark Ballard had for Pascal. He isn't going anywhere. Let's give some faith for the Parris healthy emergence. The kid deserves a shot. 

LT - I think Tevi will be the guy day one, but I honestly have no idea who will be the man down the stretch at LT. Of all the unknowns, this one is s big deal, as far as the long term for the Colts. Is Fisher going to heal and man the spot for 4 years? So may unknowns. I like the path that Ballard took, but I think the Colts success THIS season, could be majorly boosted by figuring out this position. 

Would someone else like to dive into LB?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I think there is time for at least one more thread to discuss the upcoming season. This one is in respect to the positions that have been altered....or have an even or unknown playing field going in.

In no particular order....

QB#2 - Eason seems like the sure front runner. However, because the kid never got an NFL snap, the position is wide open. He may have an advantage with the year he spent with position coaches and studying film...not to mention being a part of the QB room with Jacoby and Phillip. But when you consider Eason, Morton, and Ehlinger, I don't ever remember a deeper group of young men working to get the number 2 spot. It's quite exciting.

Pass rusher - The Colts let go of Houston and Autry, and drafted Paye and Oyedingo. The entire Colts nation is holding their collective breath for the anticipated blossoming of Turay. This could go so many ways. How cool would it be that by next season, the team is making hard decisions about who to keep on the roster? Remember MJD running for 375 on the Colts? Ya, those days are over...

WR - TY had a tough year. I truly think that Wentz is the right QB to see TY get back on the stallion. Let us not forget, if a QB can get him the ball away from the defender....even a foot away....TY will make that catch. Honestly, I don't think there will be a more motivated player next season. Watch. Pittman is going to be a load. If Patmon is going to show something, now is the time. The Colts express is getting ready to take off, and he needs to punch a ticket. I loved the remark Ballard had for Pascal. He isn't going anywhere. Let's give some faith for the Parris healthy emergence. The kid deserves a shot. 

LT - I think Tevi will be the guy day one, but I honestly have no idea who will be the man down the stretch at LT. Of all the unknowns, this one is s big deal, as far as the long term for the Colts. Is Fisher going to heal and man the spot for 4 years? So may unknowns. I like the path that Ballard took, but I think the Colts success THIS season, could be majorly boosted by figuring out this position. 

Would someone else like to dive into LB?

As far as QB #2 goes worth remembering just because we haven’t seen Eason doesn’t mean the coaches haven’t.  They seem pretty locked in with Eason being the number two so he would have to be pretty bad in the pre-season to lose that job IMO.  What I am curious to see is if they have a special package maybe for Ehlinger and can he earn a roster spot that way?  With Wentz’s injury history it’s not unrealistic to think the Colts keep three QBs this year and if Ehlinger can give them something else that’s more reason to keep him.

The end spot might be a little in transition this year.  BB is going to have to have a really good camp and pre-season to even make the roster IMO, however with the injury to Dayo that might open a slot for him.  This is a true make a break year for a Turey and Lewis.  I am looking forward to seeing Paye but it’s not unheard of for rookie ends to struggle so I hope people don’t judge him too quickly if he does.  

Campbell has to stay healthy and Pittman has to take the next step forward.  Hilton showed he still has it at the end of last year once him and Rivers finally got in sync.  Hopefully it doesn’t take him as long with Wentz.  Pascal is going to give you 3 to 7 catches a game and do the ugly things to help you win.  Not flashy but a guy you want on your team. I’ll be interested to see if one of the young guys can step up and claim the other WR slot.  

I have more concerns about LT than any other position on the roster because if the free agents don’t pan and Fisher takes a while to heal or doesn’t come back like his previous self what was once the strength of this team could turn into a problem and I don’t want to see the Colts playing musical chairs on the line all year.

I am interested to see who wins the kicker battle in camp.  I like Hot Rod but he’s not automatic on kicks (unless you are Justin tucker no one in the NFL is) and his lack of range hurt the Colts last year at times.  Still I think even with the Colts saying it will be an open competition it’s really Hot Rod’s job to lose and this kid was brought in to push him a bit which isn’t a bad thing.

• Like 3

QB #2 is Eason's to lose. Transition of the game plan from Wentz to him would be much easier than anyone else.

DE, I think belongs to Paye and Lewis unless Turay shows he can hold up to the run. Turay will get his chance on passing downs. My fantasy here is that Turay and Banogu both improve and they can be put together in a "NASCAR" type of lineup. Remember, too, that Eberflus likes to rotate the DL, so everyone may play a role.

Receiver will be interesting to watch, but I think we are set up pretty well. The best you can do is to have a number of guys with the talent to make plays. I'm hoping Wentz learns to spread the ball around and find the matchups we want.

I'm concerned about LT, but I don't see much else they could have done without emptying the vault for an average free agent.

I think CB still has work to do at LB with either a late free agent signing or someone cut by another team.

• Like 2

Positions that are clear (real and perceived)

QB1, X-WR, RB1, APB, RT, RG, C, LG, 3T, NT, CB1 (Rhodes), NB (Moore), WILL, TE1 and TE2.

The rest, have some element of fog (real or perceived) IMO.

Offense

QB2 - If Eason is clearly #2, not sure whey we waste a draft pick on another QB. I didn't get it then, and not now lol.

Z - Hilton his aging. Pretty clear the plan when drafting Campbell was that he would gradually work outside.

Slot - PC is the obvious guy if healthy, but if he is healthy, and they start moving him outside, we still have questions. 

LT - Fisher is clear if he returns to form. If not, a lot of fog.

TE3 - Granson is a wildcard but assuming they want to use him as a move-slot-TE like they tried to use Burton. Not really a true TE

Defense

L and RDE - time share here. There are several rotations I can see here, and likely won't be set early.

MIKE - Oke is the clear leader, but there will be a lot of eyes on his run D. A time share here would not shock me.

SAM - we don't use it a lot, so who knows. I could even see Oke playing SAM and Franklin handling MIKE on those SAM downs.

LB Depth - who knows. Will we ever see Speed emerge?

CB2 and CB Detph - RYS vs Carrie vs Tell vs Rogers. Nothing would surprise me.

FS - Blackmon needs to take a big step forward in deep coverage. If not, I could see a rotation here.

SS - Willis is very solid, but I could see him getting pushed by Shawn Davis.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 12:45 AM, CR91 said:

I just wish the colts would add a vet at LBer like K.J Wright. We are one injury away from a major problem at LBer

They might still, but lets be honest, its a backup role

I think they want to see what they have first

Give Speed a chance, he MIGHT be just what's needed

There will be some decent, not great backup LBs come available during the last cuts

If we need one we will go get them

I hope that our current bench shows well, and we stand pat.

• Like 2

Mack and Turray are those types of frustrating players that drive a fan base nuts.  They have everything you want in a player but something is always wrong with one or both of them.  I’m predicting neither make it to the end of the season on the active roster. Both of their spots are huge question marks and I was really surprised Ballard resigned Mack.  

LB is questionable bc we are about to lock up a ton of money in the WILL position. Hopefully the depth players can contribute and Bobby O will return to showing the promise he did his rookie season.  We need these guys to play above average as a whole. 

I think RYS puts it together at CB this year. It’s a tough position to play but he will figure it out.  One of the younger guys will emerge and I think we will have a good rotation at this position.  For Ballard to bring back the entire secondary while only addressing safety in the draft, I think the coaches have it under control. From the little tape I watched the secondary is a bit complicated so I’m thinking more time together will be the biggest improvement. 

I don’t really care about QB2.  I liked Eason coming into the draft but if Wentz goes down it doesn’t matter who we have.  Few teams survive with their backup QB.  I understand there are exceptions to this but I don’t ever count on being the exception. 

Lewis will earn a second contract and be our best DE this year. 

Banagou gets traded or cut before the season starts. 

Campbell and Pittman combine for 1600 yds and 8 tds. 

TE is uninspiring and I’m guessing the rookie emerges as our best player by seasons end.  I don’t foresee MAC or Doyle on the roster next year.  Bummer bc I’ve always liked both players. 

We will be searching for a new LT next year as well.  Ballard made the best out of a bad situation and managed to get two decent players in the building. However, I doubt Fisher fully recovers and likely goes down again and Tevi is nothing more than a decent backup. 

Guess I should have said all of this in a bold prediction thread. All my opinion which doesn’t mean much.  I don’t watch film or the rest of the league like I used to. Just going off what I’ve seen which isn’t much. Take it all with a grain of salt. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Mack and Turray are those types of frustrating players that drive a fan base nuts.  They have everything you want in a player but something is always wrong with one or both of them.  I’m predicting neither make it to the end of the season on the active roster. Both of their spots are huge question marks and I was really surprised Ballard resigned Mack.  

LB is questionable bc we are about to lock up a ton of money in the WILL position. Hopefully the depth players can contribute and Bobby O will return to showing the promise he did his rookie season.  We need these guys to play above average as a whole. 

I think RYS puts it together at CB this year. It’s a tough position to play but he will figure it out.  One of the younger guys will emerge and I think we will have a good rotation at this position.  For Ballard to bring back the entire secondary while only addressing safety in the draft, I think the coaches have it under control. From the little tape I watched the secondary is a bit complicated so I’m thinking more time together will be the biggest improvement. 

I don’t really care about QB2.  I liked Eason coming into the draft but if Wentz goes down it doesn’t matter who we have.  Few teams survive with their backup QB.  I understand there are exceptions to this but I don’t ever count on being the exception. 

Lewis will earn a second contract and be our best DE this year. 

Banagou gets traded or cut before the season starts. 

Campbell and Pittman combine for 1600 yds and 8 tds. 

TE is uninspiring and I’m guessing the rookie emerges as our best player by seasons end.  I don’t foresee MAC or Doyle on the roster next year.  Bummer bc I’ve always liked both players. 

We will be searching for a new LT next year as well.  Ballard made the best out of a bad situation and managed to get two decent players in the building. However, I doubt Fisher fully recovers and likely goes down again and Tevi is nothing more than a decent backup. 

Guess I should have said all of this in a bold prediction thread. All my opinion which doesn’t mean much.  I don’t watch film or the rest of the league like I used to. Just going off what I’ve seen which isn’t much. Take it all with a grain of salt. 

Green I agree, red I disagree. Thanks for the post. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

Green I agree, red I disagree. Thanks for the post. 

I think you can be right on most that you disagreed with.  I think Turray and Mack both end up on IR but I could see one being a surprise cut by season end.

If Wentz misses more than 2-4 games out season is done. You expect your backup to go .500 but I don’t think many in this league could carry a team for half the season. 

MAC if healthy would make sense to resign on a team friendly deal but He is JAG to me. Looked like he was going to break out last year but a combination of injuries and scheme prevented that.  

I will always be a pessimist about the OL after what happened to Andrew Luck. I always say the three keys to winning in order are:

Protect your Qb

Get after their QB

Take the ball away and give it back to your QB

You always protect your QB no matter what and I think using castoffs from teams at the LT position is a risky move. Hopefully I’m completely wrong about this and both a good players. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

They might still, but lets be honest, its a backup role

I think they want to see what they have first

Give Speed a chance, he MIGHT be just what's needed

There will be some decent, not great backup LBs come available during the last cuts

If we need one we will go get them

I hope that our current bench shows well, and we stand pat.

Course you'd want them to excel, but there's nothing wrong with some security.