Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Rules for Covid 2021 / positive tests ( merge)

runthepost

If Nelson is only a close contact and only misses five days then he won’t miss much practice. I think they practice Sunday but he will be able to come back early next week as long as he doesn’t test positive. I hope he can see now how not being vaxed can hurt the team when he can’t play. If it is just high risk contact he wouldn’t be sitting out if he had been vaccinated.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Ok guys I think I might be bringing some good news here. Fisher went on the list this morning. Nelson was just placed on Ir tonight. To me that means Nelson might of been a close contact and isn’t positive. It took them time to go back and so the tracing. So that should mean only 5 days. Now that is just guessing bur seem reasonable.

I Promise GIF by The Good Place

10 hours ago, stitches said:

We've been hearing for ages from those same players that refuse to get the vaccine that they are not worried about their health and that they are more worried about getting vaccinated than about what will happen if they catch the virus. If they are not worried about their own health, why should I? I have enough people to worry about in my personal life that have made everything possible to minimize their risk and are still put through a ton of danger by antivax nonsense. I will save my worries for my mom, who was breaking quarantines to get INTO a contaminated area in order to help people at the beginning of the pandemic and is now starting to experience the strain of the next COVID wave, this time with Delta variant at her job. 

All the antivaxxers, including and especially famous ones that influece others with their nonsense, can * for all I care. They've made their choice. I worry about the people they put in danger through their (in)actions and the broader community. 

I mostly agree with you with this. This new delta variant sucks. Maybe I overreacted because a good chunk of the replies were calling him out when they don’t know his status. Mixed with people being uneducated thinking vaccinated people are immune to it when that’s not the case. HC and DC got it, Titans being 93% vaccinated yet they’re having a mini outbreak. This situation just sucks.

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It is also good sign that no one else has been added to the list

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

Yeah. We will see if my theory is true. If so Nelson will only miss maybe one practice as long as he doesn’t test positive. In reality he may not miss a practice if he tests negative Friday and Saturday.  It just seems like this might be the case with them both rehabbing and being oline guys. 

6 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

I mostly agree with you with this. This new delta variant sucks. Maybe I overreacted because a good chunk of the replies were calling him out when they don’t know his status. Mixed with people being uneducated thinking vaccinated people are immune to it when that’s not the case. HC and DC got it, Titans being 93% vaccinated yet they’re having a mini outbreak. This situation just sucks.

The biggest issue with me is the close contact thing. You don’t have to sit out if your vaxed for being a close contact. I posted in the covid thread allen sills phone call today. Data has shown they have 3 times more unvaxed players catching covid then vaxed.

36 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

We are about to find out if Reich will let Q play with only one week of practice. I am sure he can do things at home with his foot. Let’s hope it was just a close contact.

Sweet baby Jesus….

haven’t you said this exact post 6 different times already in this thread. 

Let it breathe. 

3 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

I mostly agree with you with this. This new delta variant sucks. Maybe I overreacted because a good chunk of the replies were calling him out when they don’t know his status. Mixed with people being uneducated thinking vaccinated people are immune to it when that’s not the case. This situation just sucks.

No vaccine is 100% effective and with the Delta variant it seems like they are even less effective than with the initial strain. Vaccines protect more than the individual... the more people get vaccinated the more safe everybody is(both the vaccinated and not vaccinated - and some people have medical conditions that even if they wanted to they cannot get vaccinated). Getting the vaccine for majority of people is much more about protecting their community and close ones in danger than about protecting themselves. 

And while the vaccinated are not 100% immune to it, they do seem to have at least some protection against catching it and very good protection against developing some of the most serious symptoms and conditions. 

Chloe posted some stats from the NFL doctors about the state of vaccinations and the positive cases in the other thread. They stated that even with the Delta variant roaming around now, it seems like "incidence rate among unvaccinated personnel is 7 times higher than who are vaccinated."

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

No vaccine is 100% effective and with the Delta variant it seems like they are even less effective than with the initial strain. Vaccines protect more than the individual... the more people get vaccinated the more safe everybody is(both the vaccinated and not vaccinated - and some people have medical conditions that even if they wanted to they cannot get vaccinated). Getting the vaccine for majority of people is much more about protecting their community and close ones in danger than about protecting themselves. 

And while the vaccinated are not 100% immune to it, they do seem to have at least some protection against catching it and very good protection against developing some of the most serious symptoms and conditions. 

Chloe posted some stats from the NFL doctors about the state of vaccinations and the positive cases in the other thread. They stated that even with the Delta variant roaming around now, it seems like "incidence rate among unvaccinated personnel is 7 times higher than who are vaccinated."

Hopefully once the third booster is approved for everyone the delta variant will be in it. It’s just like the flu shot. They can only predict the variants and sometimes they miss so they are less effective.

15 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Thanks for this stat. I saw it it in the other thread too. I wonder about whether the attitude and behavior vaccinated vs unvaccinated people exhibit is significantly different. I've heard guesses about it either way - i.e. "people get vaxxed and think they are immortal so they are less vigilant" or "unvaxxed people in general are not worried about the virus, so their behavior reflects that too". 

I guess NFL players during camp are somewhat put into a uniform schedule at least during part of their daily routine, so maybe it's actually a relatively good stat to keep and draw conclusions for the effectiveness of the vaccine. 

38 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Some of the replies are very dumb assuming vaccinated people can’t get covid. Titans are 93% vaccinated yet they’re dealing with a mini outbreak themselves and people are giving them % for no reason. You can be respectful about things instead of being a * not you but people in general. 

By now, It should be obvious to all… 

You can indeed be fully vaccinated, yet still contract Covid.  Frank Reich immediately comes to mind.   But being fully vaccinated means your symptoms are going to be much much more mild, or you might be

asymptomatic as Frank was.   Even if you’re hospitalized,  the symptoms are much less if you’ve been vaccinated than if you’re not. 

It’s almost literally night vs day. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Thanks for this stat. I saw it it in the other thread too. I wonder about whether the attitude and behavior vaccinated vs unvaccinated people is significantly different. I've heard guesses about it either way - i.e. "people get vaxxed and think they are immortal so they are less vigilant" or "unvaxxed people in general are not worried about the virus, so their behavior  reflects that too". 

I guess NFL players during camp are somewhat put into a uniform schedule at least during part of their daily routine, so maybe it's actually a relatively good stat to keep and draw conclusions for the effectiveness of the vaccine. 

One thing I think is kind of not being said is last season everything was shut down to a degree. So players didn’t really have many places to go. Everything is open now so players who are not vaxed need to stay away from places that are crowded. I am sure players are  less vigilant with everything being open now.  Unvaccinated and vaccinated players need to be just as vigilant as last season.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

:HFire:wait it’s still pre-season and still a good chance he can play week one?  :sheepaid:

Except he is rehabbing a foot so this isn’t great. If he wasn’t Injure yes he would play. This all comes down to if he was a close contact or a positive test. A positive will most likely not give him enough padded practice to play week one.

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Except he is rehabbing a foot so this isn’t great. If he wasn’t Injure yes he would play. This all comes down to if he was a close contact or a positive test. A positive will most likely not give him enough padded practice to play week one.

It’s not great but he can still train on his own.  He’ll be fine, does that mean he starts week one?  We don’t know but I am not going to panic until he’s clearly going to miss time.

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

By now, It should be obvious to all… 

You can indeed be fully vaccinated, yet still contract Covid.  Frank Reich immediately comes to mind.   But being fully vaccinated means your symptoms are going to be much much more mild, or you might be

asymptomatic as Frank was.   Even if you’re hospitalized,  the symptoms are much less if you’ve been vaccinated than if you’re not. 

It’s almost literally night vs day. 

Yeah I don’t get the push back it seems obvious for me, but Indiana is only 45% vaccinated right now!

20 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s not great but he can still train on his own.  He’ll be fine, does that mean he starts week one?  We don’t know but I am not going to panic until he’s clearly going to miss time.

I am not worried about actual rehab. There are things he can do on his own. Bur reich said that him and Wentz can’t play until they have a few padded practices in. Close contact he will only miss one or two practices. Bur if he is positive it’s sept 5th before he can come back. Basically only like 2   Or three practices. Then not being in the facility will hurt his rehab and what Reich sees from him.

3 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

nelson would still be cleared a week before the first game so he would get a full week of padded 11 on 11 practice

The ones good thing I can see from this. Is that foot will have more time to heal. So maybe he will be able to get right into padded practice bur I am not seeing it. But it’s Q so who knows. He will be back wed if he is just a close contact. The way this came down I think it was. I think Glow is the only starting oline vaccinated.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I've seen a school of thought that the Colts handled Covid well last year,  so we shouldn't have any problems this year.

Here's the problem with that thinking....

The new Delta Variant isn't like the original Covid.    It's much worse.    More easily transmissible,  and much harder on the body.   If it helps,   think of it as Covid 2.0.     

All the more reason for these guys to get the vax.

This problem is going to continue to pop-up through-out the season.    Putting everything on the line....

Just saying....

I don't want to sidetrack the discussion, but comments like this come from a personal point of view that isn't necessarily the prevailing point of view.  The bottom line is that every player is responsible for protecting themselves.  The Colts, Irsay, Ballard, Reich, the NFL, have no way of controlling this virus, (preventing anybody from getting it or being next to someone who has it but doesn't know it) outside of locking players inside their houses.  

Lets hope all players take measures to protect themselves properly, for the selfish angle in that I want to see them play. 

But to cast blame on to the highest authority figure we can is not the proper way to look at it.  It never was.

And I'm not saying that you did.  I just wanted to rant about how this is more about personal responsibility than it is the Organization's responsibility.

BTW, I don't see the constant death rate count on the upper right hand corner of every TV screen like I did in 2020, so either the statement that it is much more severe and is like COVID 2.0 is not correct, or the TV stations simply don't want to show those numbers in 2021 like they did in 2020.

2 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

He’s All-Pro.  I think he’ll manage, if that’s the case.

I am not worried about him. I am just going by what Reich said. Him and Wentz have to get enough padded practices in to play. Not being able to rehab at the facility with trainers very well could slow his recovery. 

Chris Reed is a pretty good guard so we should be fine if he doesn’t play. 

I am sure this will get asked to Reich after the game tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, jimmy g said:

I've been vaxed so it doesn't concern me.  But most of my co-workers and friends are not.

What I see is when threads like this "lecture" (yes, lecture) others that they are to blame for viruses, by people who believe they have the right to lecture (which they don't) like many pro-vaxers on here seem to post- the antivaxed guys dig in their heels even more.  The more posters scream, the more stubborn antivaxed people get.

In sports, I see the virus like I do a sports injury. No one likes it, and it affects my desires for my team to win. But injuries happen. So do viruses. It's unfortunate, but it happens.  Deal with it, and learn that it's a sport....

Soon the NFL will require it for all players, and that will settle it.  I don't like that at all- but it's coming, and we all know it....

I just saw a tweet it was reported that the NFL wanted to mandate it awhile ago. Nfl is denying that ever happened. Bur with the full approval now you can bet it’s coming.

2 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

When they do, a few stars might walk away. The stars will then have to choose between money and principle.  It'll be interesting for sure.  I think the NFL is afraid of seeing who chooses which.  I know my employer is holding off for that reason. We at my job might lose 2/3 of our workforce.  But my coworkers don't make millions.  Players do.  Money is a great motivator...

The NFL has survived stars walking away before they would survive this too.  Odds are they are more afraid of lawsuits and ticking off about 40% of the county and impacting their bottom line.  

Friendly reminder from TigerTown    
   The non football related talk needs to be moved to the non football thread on the topic or kept to yourself

Lilo And Stitch Please GIF Thanks Thank You GIF by Lumi

@Nadine @Superman @NFLfan

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The NFL has survived stars walking away before they would survive this too.  Odds are they are more afraid of lawsuits and ticking off about 40% of the county and impacting their bottom line.  

Does anyone remember 1987

3 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Some of this could be due to the fact the vaccinated players are only tested every 14 days while unvaccinated players are tested daily. In essence, a vaccinated player could test negative day 1, have asymptomatic covid, and then have it out of his system before his next test on day 14. The numbers could be skewed a bit.  

1 minute ago, deedub75 said:

Some of this could be due to the fact the vaccinated players are only tested every 14 days while unvaccinated players are tested daily. In essence, a vaccinated player could test negative day 1, have asymptomatic covid, and then have it out of his system before his next test on day 14. The numbers could be skewed a bit.  

That is about to change per ESPN

Archived