Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Rules for Covid 2021 / positive tests ( merge)

runthepost

2 hours ago, Los1sol said:

I’ve been vaccinated since April but continue to wear a mask indoors because my son is too young to be vaccinated. Nowadays with Delta being so infectious, it makes even more sense to continue wearing a mask indoors. 

I don’t know whether Wentz is vaccinated or not. And I understand the perspective of not trying to create division within the team by disclosing his status.

However, as a purported leader, it would also make sense to lead by example on an issue that is clearly so divisive and whose impact can make the difference between playing in January.

You know that some folks view making an informed decision to NOT get the vaccine as leading by example too right?  I don't agree with choosing not to get it, I think it's best for society that as many get vaccinated as possible.  

That's the thing though, we often automatically assume others feel the way we do (or worse, that they would if they were as intelligent, thoughtful, skilled, or experienced in whatever the subject is as we are ourselves,). 

All that to say, maybe Carson isn't vaccinated.  If that's the case, maybe the team has guys who see that as positive leadership by example.

Just because a decision might not be ours, or one we would endorse or make... We shouldn't fall into the human nature trap of assuming it's an incorrect or I'll informed view.  

Even if not getting vaccinated ends up being the "wrong" decision, people can still make informed decisions and choose "wrongly"

Rambling on... But yeah, leadership comes in all forms, shapes, and sizes.... We don't always like or admire it.... Stalin and Hitler were accomplished leaders after all ...

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JediXMan said:

Yes Xavier Rhodes, T.J. Carrie and Al-Quadin Muhammad all in covid protocol.

Not to go off on another COVID thread, but don’t you kind of wish that everyone on the team had it prior to camp?  Non-symptomatic, of course.  

Between the vaccine and the antibodies, it would be clear sailing (hopefully) the rest of the season.  

At least we can hope that frank and those three will be good.  

5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Not to go off on another COVID thread, but don’t you kind of wish that everyone on the team had it prior to camp?  Non-symptomatic, of course.  

Between the vaccine and the antibodies, it would be clear sailing (hopefully) the rest of the season.  

At least we can hope that frank and those three will be good.  

I have been fully vaccinated as have my coworkers: 12 and counting have tested positive and are symptomatic. We’re bartenders here in San Francisco, so Lord knows where this Delta outbreak will end. There are no grantees. I can’t imagine how this would be/feel unvaccinated.

So many Colts players just don't seem to get it. Getting vaccinated is not only about protecting yourself, but your neighbors/fellow Americans as well. 3 people out of 188 MILLION have died from taking the vaccine. There is NO RISK. America will soon be at 1 million deaths from Covid and countless suffering long term debilitating effects. This is not the flu. Players/coaches need to wise up and set a good example for the public for crying out loud.

25 minutes ago, presto123 said:

So many Colts players just don't seem to get it. Getting vaccinated is not only about protecting yourself, but your neighbors/fellow Americans as well. 3 people out of 188 MILLION have died from taking the vaccine. There is NO RISK. America will soon be at 1 million deaths from Covid and countless suffering long term debilitating effects. This is not the flu. Players/coaches need to wise up and set a good example for the public for crying out loud.

Well apparently guys like Leonard according to his wife say the vaccine doesn’t work.

3 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Well apparently guys like Leonard according to his wife say the vaccine doesn’t work.

So disappointing from Leonard. Most of the people getting hospitalized/dying right now are the unvaccinated. This is a pandemic and the longer people wait, the more variants will pop up and make the vaccines we do have a little less effective. So sad that the vaccine has been politicized.

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

You have to laugh at this. Vikings only had one QB in camp today One bas covid and cousins was a close contact. So he wasn’t vaccinated. He would not have to sit if he was vaccinated.

At least Eason is vaccinated so that exposure thing wouldn’t apply with Wentz and him.

On 7/29/2021 at 6:46 AM, Indyfan4life said:

I don’t hold any negative feelings towards those who aren’t vaccinated. I wish our guys would get better informed and get the vaccine, but it’s their choice to do so or not. Honestly, I feel like the protocols put in place for those who aren’t vaccinated would maybe wake some of them up knowing it could cost us games, but, again, that’s their decision. Just hope it doesn’t keep us from making the playoffs or beyond. 

Here's the thing.  If we were taking the pandemic seriously there's decaes of precedent for enforcing vaccination.  I think the biggest reason they aren't doing that right now is the rushed process for FDA approval.  We've basically all been participating in a live trial  of various vaccine prototypes on a scale of huldreds of millions to billions, and while that trial is incomplete it's reasonable to leave these things on the basis of informed consent

but the fact of the matter is that we're reaching the pint where the trials are more or less complete and the vaccines work.  All of them.  Even the ones that trigger a tiny chance of complications like AstroZenica or Johnson and Johnson produce protection at a level more than worth the risk. 

At this point the ones that haven't been linked to any nasty side effects at all, like Pfizer and Moderna, are weeks away from full approval rather than the emergency rollout that's been going on to this point.  And at that time, I think we'll see a much more heavy handed approach to eradicate this thing.  The government has broad powers to act in the event of a national crisis like a pandemic  but they've been holding back pending formal approval of the vaccines.  I think we'll see them use those powers once a few of the vaccines gain final FDA approval, which could happen as early as September. 

Once that happens both the government and the private sector are going to be pushing the vaccine incredibly hard, and the illusion of choice is going to disappear very, very quickly.  You want to work for the government, or for any of the major corporations?  You're vaccinated or you're not working there.   At that point with employers and the government free to wield their bludgeon, we'll see some resentment and anger and protests and a few acts of violence, but the vaccination rate will rise steadily until only a few holdouts are unvaxxed, just like with other vaccines.

BTW something I haven't seen pointed out in this thread - The vaccination rate might be about 60% for the Colts, BUT... keep in mind that this is because a ton of the guys fighting for roster spots are vaccinated(or in the process) and a ton of our best players and starters are not. It's very likely this % will actually drop on cut down day. 

39 minutes ago, stitches said:

BTW something I haven't seen pointed out in this thread - The vaccination rate might be about 60% for the Colts, BUT... keep in mind that this is because a ton of the guys fighting for roster spots are vaccinated(or in the process) and a ton of our best players and starters are not. It's very likely this % will actually drop on cut down day. 

Yep. It’s clear now as we see interviews  that a lot of the 53 man guys aren’t vaccinated.

Will caution though there was around 20 guys with the first shot who decided at the last minute so some with masks are vaccinated. 

Eason is vaccinated so at least we don’t have to worry about if Wentz gets it Eason would be a close contact. He won’t be since he is vaccinated.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

That is a really good point. I had not thought of that.

I hope more players who have not gotten vaccinated reconsider. But some feel they don't need to. For example, Kirk Cousins and Adam Thielen of the Vikings both have chosen not to get vaccinated. If they get cut, they still get paid. Thielen was an undrafted guy. If this was his rookie season, he may have chosen to get vaccinated. 

Some of these teams that aren’t having players secluded for camp are having awful covid issues. This might turn out worse than last year. Glad the colts are locked away at Grand Park right now. We will see what happens when they leave.

I take that back players are out with family today. Seeing guys like Turay with family ect. This could get messy really quickly.

On 7/22/2021 at 10:02 PM, stitches said:

Just read some of the rules the NFL is implementing. They are hitting real hard. If a game gets forfeited and is not played, NOONE gets paid. Not just the players who got the virus and were the reason for the cancelation. They are trying to push all sorts of buttons. 

I've been on the position that 2 things are incredibly important in this situation - education/giving the best information and incentivizing the players to do the right thing. No idea how they are doing on the first part, but the league is cracking down about as hard as I could imagine them doing it on the incentives part. They are taking no prisoners. Seems like they are putting pressure not just on individual players, but also incentivizing peer pressure. In a way they have made the distribution of liability similar to that of the way the virus impacts communities - they are making it more than just a personal choice. Now the players that don't get vaccinated are quite possibly impacting the paychecks for all their teammates and even opponents. 

The reality seems to be that most teams have high enough vaccination rates that even if they get some cases, there won't be a need to forfeit games(much more lax rules for vaccinated players). So it's possible it really matters only for the teams with low vaccination rate(Colts being one of them is worrying on that part).  

Agree on that. High enough vaccination rates would be the best thing to keep the games going.

This is interesting. Tyquan a few weeks ago said he wasn’t sure about getting vaxed. Well he had no mask on in his presser today. He had been arguing with a fan. Looks like Mo and Grover are vaxed too.

They've probably figured out what I just said upthread.  One the vaccines are fully approved governments and corporations, including the NFL, are gonna come down on holdouts like a ton of bricks.  No one wants the added, unnecessary risk and liability of unvaccinated personnel.  Until it's approved there's room for holdouts because you can't force someone to take an unapproved medication, but approval is coming as early as next month, and at that point there will be no reason for the desk jockeys to hold back.  Might as well get ahead of it and save yourself a headache later.

Let’s just hope that any player, let’s include fans, that the virus does not take over their lungs. What I see and treat are people that are breathing 30 to 40 breaths or minute…air hungry…receiving 100% oxygen with any type of device to decrease their work of breathing; inability to sleep and difficulty with eating…afraid of not recovering from this infection…worst case scenario is having a breathing tube and being placed on a breathing machine…next comes IV meds, arterial line monitoring of blood pressure…medications…frequent suctioning of secretions…being rotated prone and supine…exchanging breathing tube holder causing skin breakdown of facial skin…long term on breathing machine requiring a tracheostomy tube…physical therapy to move the joints…muscle atrophy sets in. The goal is successful weaning from breathing machine . Follow up therapy to prevent being placed back on the breathing machine. If successful, then you are transported to rehab facility. When you make it home then you are concerned about the long term affects Covid did to your body…medical bills…stress on the family…get the picture?

I, we are at a point when a patient does not improve with everything we tried to do to save them, that turning off the breathing machine is best…when YOUR loved ones decide this course of action.

Yes, the players have a choice…and so do you!

It’s just a vaccine. I am not going to give you a hassle for not taking it.

I may treat you in my hospital and we will do all that we can to help you… to save you.

Oh, and just FYI, you can still get a very severe pneumonia that is not Covid related! So, what other vaccines should you consider?

I plan on seeing many games this season…I hope all my Colts players and fellow Colts fans

stay healthy. Infections from Covid is coming back and we are more prepared to take on this enemy.

Here’s a big shout out to all Frontline Heroes! 
…and to you.

4 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

This is hillarious. Just get vaccinated.

Right. Btw, Colts fans thought that the Colts had the lowest vaccination rate. It is now the Vikings. 

Vikings have lowest vaccination rate in NFL

The Vikings have been at the center of the COVID-19 vaccine debate in the NFL. Roughly 70 percent of the team's roster has received at least one shot of the vaccine, the lowest rate in the NFL, according to the Associated Press. 

That figure has led to frustration within the organization. Head coach Mike Zimmer criticized his quarterbacks Saturday, saying it was "disappointing" that his players would not get vaccinated. Team owner Mark Wilf weighed in on the situation Tuesday, saying he was "very concerned" about the team's low vaccination rate. 

The Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines have proven over 90 percent effective against all symptomatic disease following the second dose, according to Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance. The vaccines have also proven effective at reducing symptoms among those who experience a breakthrough case. Only .004 percent of fully vaccinated individuals have experienced a breakthrough case of COVID-19 that required a hospitalization

https://sports.yahoo.com/kirk-cousins-would-rather-surround-himself-with-plexiglas-than-get-the-covid-19-vaccine-211958822.html

On 7/22/2021 at 12:35 PM, Wentzszn said:

This is great news. As training camp has gotten closer players are getting vaccinated.

Dudes, 

I am responding again because my previous response was not posted…I still did not get a denial response…or maybe I did not hit “submit” properly.

So, Colts being 50% vaccinated is good… not great, and probably not get 100%
I just got off shift from the CCU. Two had to be taken off life support. Our floors are full and other floors are being taken over by new admissions.

I just spoke to my best friend who was able to go home from the hospital because of Covid pneumonia.

He is now dealing with it’s devastating side affects.

Our players are strong and healthy but probably have some underlying health issues,too.

What do the players say about forfeiting games or their pay… more importantly, protecting their health and the health of others?

Tough decision to insist that one does not want the vaccine…what then?

Football will go on, thank goodness.

What owners don’t see(or , maybe they do)is what is happening in your hospitals in Indiana, or my hospital. They care about their business of Colts/NFL football and I get it. 
I respect you all for taking care of your family and the choices you make to enjoy life, celebrate good health and maintaining your freedom.

Again, thanks to all the Frontline Workers, Essential Workers and EMS personnel.

We’ll see what happens next.

3 hours ago, Colts Fan in Arizona said:

Dudes, 

I am responding again because my previous response was not posted…I still did not get a denial response…or maybe I did not hit “submit” properly.

So, Colts being 50% vaccinated is good… not great, and probably not get 100%
I just got off shift from the CCU. Two had to be taken off life support. Our floors are full and other floors are being taken over by new admissions.

I just spoke to my best friend who was able to go home from the hospital because of Covid pneumonia.

He is now dealing with it’s devastating side affects.

Our players are strong and healthy but probably have some underlying health issues,too.

What do the players say about forfeiting games or their pay… more importantly, protecting their health and the health of others?

Tough decision to insist that one does not want the vaccine…what then?

Football will go on, thank goodness.

What owners don’t see(or , maybe they do)is what is happening in your hospitals in Indiana, or my hospital. They care about their business of Colts/NFL football and I get it. 
I respect you all for taking care of your family and the choices you make to enjoy life, celebrate good health and maintaining your freedom.

Again, thanks to all the Frontline Workers, Essential Workers and EMS personnel.

We’ll see what happens next.

Colts are close to 80% vaccinated now.

I was shocked yesterday Reich admitted that vaccination status could be why a player is cut. He admitted all variables are included including availability. He said it’s rarely two players who are equal when deciding to cut them but basically admitted that if it is it could come down to being vaccinated or not.

Good

Archived