Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Rules for Covid 2021 / positive tests ( merge)


Recommended Posts

Three teams will have begun training camp by the end of today. (Bucs report today.) The remaining teams, including the Colts and the Vikings, start Tuesday, July 27th.

 

I was wondering what the "protocols" were, as unvaccinated players will be fined if they do not follow the protocols. I found this but wondered if this is incomplete:

 

"The restrictions for non-vaccinated players -- including daily testing (even during byes), masks, limits on the number of players in rooms, not being able to eat in the cafeteria, etc. -- are significant. It will be interesting to see if players who have declined to get the vaccine will change course once training camps open and they see the restrictions firsthand."

 

https://www.nfl.com/news/seven-nfl-teams-above-85-vaccination-threshold-70-of-players-have-received-at-le

 

Anyone know more about the protocols? I apologize if it has already been posted. Thanks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Three teams will have begun training camp by the end of today. (Bucs report today.) The remaining teams, including the Colts and the Vikings, start Tuesday, July 27th.

 

I was wondering what the "protocols" were, as unvaccinated players will be fined if they do not follow the protocols. I found this but wondered if this is incomplete:

 

"The restrictions for non-vaccinated players -- including daily testing (even during byes), masks, limits on the number of players in rooms, not being able to eat in the cafeteria, etc. -- are significant. It will be interesting to see if players who have declined to get the vaccine will change course once training camps open and they see the restrictions firsthand."

 

https://www.nfl.com/news/seven-nfl-teams-above-85-vaccination-threshold-70-of-players-have-received-at-le

 

Anyone know more about the protocols? I apologize if it has already been posted. Thanks. 

These sound about right.  I do think once players start to see what the vaccinated players can do things will change. Unvaccinated players can’t use the Sana either. Vaccinated players can go out of town on the bye week. Also can have family in their rooms on road trips.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BTW for the people who fear long-term effects. I just had the chance to talk to an infectous disease doctor in my mother's hospital today and heard an astounding fact that makes me even angrier at the disastastrous failures of PR around those vaccines. I told him, maybe the only somewhat valid concern I've heard is about the long-term possible side effects. So he asked me to guess what's the longest term side effect from ANY vaccine in the history of vaccines in the past? I did't know and guessed several years. He laughed and said - 2 months. And this was from a swine flu vaccine from the 70s. 

 

So, is this an absolute 100.00000000% guarantee that it won't happen with this vaccine? No. But there is no reason to believe this vaccine will be any different than any other vaccine in history. I really really wish the government and health organizations out there were much better and to the point with their messaging and addressing public concerns. I thought I was relatively well educated on vaccines and I had never heard of that historical tidbit. How the hell would you have one of the biggest worries and concerns of the public be long-term effects and not have that information spread like the plague everywhere? Everyone should know this one. It should have been one of the key points of messaging in all the public announcements and discussions on the vaccines. :( 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2021 at 3:50 PM, NFLfan said:

 

the vikings coach is throwing away his career over a vaccine .   makes zero sense my job made every one get the shot i would never give up my career for nothing .   the same people scared of the vaccine with put way worse stuff in their body on a daily basis . every thing has bad side effects but the percentage of people getting bad side effects is under 1 percent .  you have a better chance of hitting the lottery than getting sick from the vaccine .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, stitches said:

BTW for the people who fear long-term effects. I just had the chance to talk to an infectous disease doctor in my mother's hospital today and heard an astounding fact that makes me even angrier at the disastastrous failures of PR around those vaccines. I told him, maybe the only somewhat valid concern I've heard is about the long-term possible side effects. So he asked me to guess what's the longest term side effect from ANY vaccine in the history of vaccines in the past? I did't know and guessed several years. He laughed and said - 2 months. And this was from a swine flu vaccine from the 70s. 

 

So, is this an absolute 100.00000000% guarantee that it won't happen with this vaccine? No. But there is no reason to believe this vaccine will be any different than any other vaccine in history. I really really wish the government and health organizations out there were much better and to the point with their messaging and addressing public concerns. I thought I was relatively well educated on vaccines and I had never heard of that historical tidbit. How the hell would you have one of the biggest worries and concerns of the public be long-term effects and not have that information spread like the plague everywhere? Everyone should know this one. It should have been one of the key points of messaging in all the public announcements and discussions on the vaccines. :( 

I don’t think it would matter. The Internet has changed things. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is progress for the colts. I also think once the season starts and unvaccinated can’t mingle with their vaccinated team mates things will get better. When cuts happen it may go up too. So that is around 58 of the 90 players. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Obviously the downside to this is that Frank has covid and I wish him a quick and safe recovery, but I'm wondering if this will influence Colt players who haven't got the vaccine not to get it because Frank got Covid while being fully vaccinated?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Obviously the downside to this is that Frank has covid and I wish him a quick and safe recovery, but I'm wondering if this will influence Colt players who haven't got the vaccine not to get it because Frank got Covid while being fully vaccinated?

Maybe it will influence players to get the shot?  After all, Frank is asymptomatic.   Getting the shot helped him avoid getting much worse symptoms. 

  • Like 9
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Obviously the downside to this is that Frank has covid and I wish him a quick and safe recovery, but I'm wondering if this will influence Colt players who haven't got the vaccine not to get it because Frank got Covid while being fully vaccinated?

 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe it will influence players to get the shot?  After all, Frank is asymptomatic.   Getting the shot helped him avoid getting much worse symptoms. 

 

Unfortunately, I feel like you can almost guarantee that it will be used as a point for both arguments. 

 

Most importantly, I'm happy to hear he is feeling alright and is asymptomatic! Hope you get back sooner than later coach. With new rules, since he is vaccinated and he's asymptomatic he should be good to return after two negative tests or something right? 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe it will influence players to get the shot?  After all, Frank is asymptomatic.   Getting the shot helped him avoid getting much worse symptoms. 

That's true too. I don't know which way they will take it. Frank is in his 50s though, so his body works different than all of our active players. It just depends if their mindset is "Frank got the virus and avoided worse symptoms, or Frank got the virus while still getting the vaccine, so I don't believe it's effective."

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe it will influence players to get the shot?  After all, Frank is asymptomatic.   Getting the shot helped him avoid getting much worse symptoms. 


And made him less likely to spread it to others. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe it will influence players to get the shot?  After all, Frank is asymptomatic.   Getting the shot helped him avoid getting much worse symptoms. 

Without getting overly political here, this is the exact two sides of the coin argument that is prevalent everywhere in our society today.

 

Those that do not want a vaccine will say that "look he had it and he still got sick. why am i going to take it if i still can get sick afterwards. what is the point?"

 

And those that do want the vaccine will say "look if i did not get the vaccine it could have been so much worse. look at the good getting the vaccine did for me."

 

And it is becoming more and more obvious that the divide in the country between the camps and the two mindsets is becoming more and more dug in where people's minds are not being swayed much one way or another.

 

The measures the NFL put in do about as much as they possibly can to encourage/force folks to get the vaccine.

 

If people still wish to not do so, then the reality is that they somewhat know the risks both medically and NFL-wise and are making a conscious decision to accept the risks.

 

 

Hope Frank gets healthy. I have a good friend that is a breakthrough case now too. Got vaccinated and has COVID and has super mild symptoms. He believes it is due to being vaccinated and if that is true for him then I am super glad he made the choice that he made.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Shive changed the title to Reich tests positive for Covid
21 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Obviously the downside to this is that Frank has covid and I wish him a quick and safe recovery, but I'm wondering if this will influence Colt players who haven't got the vaccine not to get it because Frank got Covid while being fully vaccinated?

Ballard stressed in this presser Frank not having symptoms is why they need to get it. He goes it will keep you from dying.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Bored Season 7 GIF by The Office
 

Not exactly a great start for this team coming into the season… 

Last season this happened quite a bit as players checked into camp.  This is when you initially get the most cases.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Ballard stressed in this presser Frank not having symptoms is why they need to get it. He goes it will keep you from dying.

Ballard also said in his presser we are at 60% as a team.  Unfortunately I don't see this news as moving the needle much.  I can see it embolden those who won't take the shot more than convincing them to take it.  I hope not but I just have a feeling our numbers are not going to increase much.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Last season this happened quite a bit as players checked into camp.  This is when you initially get the most cases.


Difference is last season we didn’t have a massive chunk of our roster making the decision to make the season harder by refusing to get the vaccine who are likely to look at this as yet another reason not to stray from that path.
 

And if you don’t believe that just go look at the unfiltered comments on social media. 
 

These situations don’t spark the unvaccinated to suddenly change their mind and see the benefit. It does the exact opposite. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hopefully, the Colts and ALL the NFL can figure it out to just play the season out. I think we all can agree that last year was cool within uncertainty and they all did a good job so we could have football. I trust it will all work out so the season, staff, and players will be safe and be able to fully play... :goodluck:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, John Waylon said:


Difference is last season we didn’t have a massive chunk of our roster making the decision to make the season harder by refusing to get the vaccine who are likely to look at this as yet another reason not to stray from that path.
 

And if you don’t believe that just go look at the unfiltered comments on social media. 
 

These situations don’t spark the unvaccinated to suddenly change their mind and see the benefit. It does the exact opposite. 

Oh I do believe it. I think it’s dumb they are making it harder on themselves.  I also think there is a chance protocols won’t be as effective this season when you have half the team vaccinated and the other half not. Way to much confusion. Hopefully after roster cuts the numbers will go up:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fortunately, he can still watch tape and critique from home.  
 

it’s good to hear he’s asymptotic.  I wonder how many of us who are fully vaccinated have had it and didn’t even know?  
 

I had it before I was vaccinated and had no symptoms.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think with players who are vaccinated having less consequences we may end up with more vaccinated testing positive then unvaccinated. This could really turn into a mess. Good thing the vaccinated only are tested once every two weeks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not that concerned, as Reich is asymptomatic and says he feels fine. After a couple negative tests, he will rejoin the team. If things change and get worse, then I will worry. Otherwise, he should be OK. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/22/2021 at 3:05 PM, Wentzszn said:

I think I read that the larger practice squads and IR rules may end up being permanent because teams really liked how it worked. I hope it does because I think the rules really help when injuries happen.

I hope this is the case, and I also like how MLB kept a few of their Covid-related rule changes from last season as well - anything that improves the game or at least makes it possible to be played while in the midst of this pandemic will likely be well received.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I think with players who are vaccinated having less consequences we may end up with more vaccinated testing positive then unvaccinated. This could really turn into a mess. Good thing the vaccinated only are tested once every two weeks.

yeah... it's a bit confusing. Oh well. I'm done being salty. I'm just looking forward to whoever will dress in blue in white hahah. The salt may come back if we are down Buckner again with Henry coming to town lmao

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I hope this is the case, and I also like how MLB kept a few of their Covid-related rule changes from last season as well - anything that improves the game or at least makes it possible to be played while in the midst of this pandemic will likely be well received.

I saw the other day it is staying the same as last season. Teams really liked it. Seems like it might be here to stay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mirobi48 said:

If there is a game every week except your bye week. And your team lets say bye week is week 14 and week 7 your team is full of covid how do they make up the game?   

It will be like last season. Games might get postponed a few days. I don’t think it will be as big of a deal as last season with players being vaccinated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cjrulli said:

 

 

Unfortunately, I feel like you can almost guarantee that it will be used as a point for both arguments. 

 

Most importantly, I'm happy to hear he is feeling alright and is asymptomatic! Hope you get back sooner than later coach. With new rules, since he is vaccinated and he's asymptomatic he should be good to return after two negative tests or something right? 

For those who are vaccinated, you can return after two negative tests 24 hours a part. So for example I saw, he could test on Sunday next week, be negative, test Monday, be negative and then on Tuesday be able to return to coach in person.

 

Compared to those unvaccinated you have to wait the 10 days even if you're asymptomatic and negative. It is also then the coaches, who were required to be vaccinated do not need to quarantine either due to Frank's positive

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Nadine changed the title to NFL Rules for Covid 2021 / positive tests ( merge)
  • NFLfan pinned this topic
  • NFLfan locked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • No. Cherry picking specific decisions is the armchair coach method. I take his body of work....which includes massive QB change, remarkable injuries to important offensive positions, plus an OC change. Frank is a great coach. Extremely happy he is head coach in Indy. 
    • Todays managers are the opposite of yesteryears  type of manager, earl weaver, Billy Martin,  Larussa etc.... the management want "yes men" and "puppet" types that do what the analytical people and GM say. That's why the Yankees hired Aaron Boone and now resigned him.  Teams are in control by management not by managers. 
    • This thread is mildly frightening
    • Correct. The coach has the same goal as the analyst, determining the likelihood that 4th down would be converted.  He "calculated" the likelihood of converting, by processing actually more facts than the amount of facts that can be loaded into a program.    What the analytics guys will tell you is that his intuitive method is fraught with wrong observations and bias, so we need to discard intuitive individual based conclusions and listen to them...the people who can process facts better....IOW, the experts.  LOL. ( See where this is heading on a grand scale..big brother?)   The human brain is a pattern recognition machine that processes useful facts and discards less useful facts in a TOTALLY objective way because it wants to make the right conclusion.  Objectivity is in its self interest because getting it right is better than getting it wrong, and its baked into our instincts (the only way it gets biased is through conditioning).  So the coach processes the more useful facts....IOW, what is happening in his game....and discards the less useful facts about what happened with two other teams in a game 3 weeks ago...and computes a "probability" based upon the more relevant and timely set of facts. (or observations)   Ultimately, the argument comes down to how people process information and what they feel comfortable using as a means to make decisions.  Some need to reduce every decisions into a spread sheet that can be explained.  Others use their pattern recognition and "intuition" and are comfortable with it.  Neither is better than the other, but it does get annoying when its presented as one being better than the other.
    • Did you question him going for the 2 point conversion so early in the game Sunday?
  • Members

    • MPStack

      MPStack 4,411

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • chad72

      chad72 8,410

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • LJpalmbeacher2

      LJpalmbeacher2 2,703

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nesjan3

      Nesjan3 799

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • bluephantom87

      bluephantom87 93

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CR91

      CR91 7,893

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Indyfan4life

      Indyfan4life 1,144

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Four2itus

      Four2itus 6,333

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • gspdx

      gspdx 794

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • JediXMan

      JediXMan 1,659

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...