Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Braden Smith getting more expensive each passing day

CR91

On 7/20/2021 at 3:03 PM, Valpo2004 said:

Maybe but only a few non top 5 guys get tagged.  

Dak is also a quarterback who get special considerations.   If a RB had Dak's injury no way would you hand them top 5 money after that injury.  This has a lot to do with the depth of talent and position values.  

I think you really have to exclude RBs from general discussion. They've been treated as fungible for a while.

I agree though that non top 5 guys aren't tagged as much, but it does happen. Looking at the 2020 tags, several were non top 5. Overall, the tag just isn't used that much. I think a little bit less than half the teams used some sort of tag last year.

On 7/21/2021 at 12:10 AM, Moosejawcolt said:

I really can't think of a situation where a player got tagged and didn't eventually get big money. 

Yup. If they're not worth big money, they're not gonna get tagged in the first place.

For what it’s worth, and this is just my opinion based on somethings I’ve been reading so I could end being dead wrong, it sounds like the Colts are closer to a deal with Leonard than Smith.  I almost kinda get the impression Smith’s side would be happy to let the season play out which might be why Irsay made it know they may use the tag if needed.  Like I said before I am sure Smith’s agent knows Smith gets more valuable everyday and isn’t in a rush to get his client signed unless it’s at a number he really likes.  

2 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Fingers crossed that the salary cap continues to inflate!

For what it’s worth:

2020:  $198m

2021:   $182.5m

2022:   $208.2m

Future years have not been officially determined.   But projections are at least $220m, possibly more. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

For what it’s worth, and this is just my opinion based on somethings I’ve been reading so I could end being dead wrong, it sounds like the Colts are closer to a deal with Leonard than Smith.  I almost kinda get the impression Smith’s side would be happy to let the season play out which might be why Irsay made it know they may use the tag if needed.  Like I said before I am sure Smith’s agent knows Smith gets more valuable everyday and isn’t in a rush to get his client signed unless it’s at a number he really likes.  

A bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush. Strike while the iron is hot. :) 

I think Smith’s agent would be taking too much of a chance with injury possibilities if he doesn’t seize on a chance for a contract extension now. Holding out for (say) $10 mil. more on guaranteed money 1 year from now or whatever it is could end up being a dangerous bet. 

The only exception is if Ballard is lowballing Smith, which I really really doubt he would given that he’s one of his priced draft picks.

$18 million a year is top 5 RT money in my opinion. Braden should get paid accordingly whether you want to pay him that much or not. The cap number is going up each year anyway so why should this be an issue? Let's say Ballard can get him to lower his asking price. 4 year $52 million, $13 million per, $40 million guaranteed. In my opinion, that is a more cap friendly deal. 

I really don't like the idea of $18 million a year for a RT but it is what it is. Ballard said from day one he was going to build this team up front on both sides. He's done a solid job at it. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

$18 million a year is top 5 RT money in my opinion. Braden should get paid accordingly whether you want to pay him that much or not. The cap number is going up each year anyway so why should this be an issue? Let's say Ballard can get him to lower his asking price. 4 year $52 million, $13 million per, $40 million guaranteed. In my opinion, that is a more cap friendly deal. 

I really don't like the idea of $18 million a year for a RT but it is what it is. Ballard said from day one he was going to build this team up front on both sides. He's done a solid job at it. 

The more I have thought about this we are locking our young core up and so the cap going up should give us plenty of money with these guys locked up.

On 7/23/2021 at 8:50 PM, DownHillRunner said:

I try not to judge what the sticking point might be because we just don't know anything.  As much as Irsay says that he thinks they pay fairly (and eventually we usually do) we also have to know that it's in the team's best interest to get the player for as low of a price as possible.  

I'm sure agent and player are also aware of the risks.