Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

5 most important plays in Colts history?

Saw this topic on another site and want to see what’s the 5 most important plays in Colts history. These could be positive or negative plays. I’ll take a shot here in no order.

1. Marlin Jackson GW pick against Brady to send the Colts to SB. Manning and Colts finally beat the Brady/Belichick lead team when it matters. #RealSB 

2. Reggie Wayne game tying 50 yard TD after the hester KR TD. Set the tone the rest of the game.

3. Colts vs Giants 1958 Championship Ameche game winning touchdown run to give the Colts the win and championship. Way before my time but gotta give it respect and make the list.

4. SB Onside kick I know it was Initiated by the Saints but that play will always the be ingrained into Colts history as well. Oh what could’ve been had the Colts recovered :(

5. 4th and 2 play. It may have just been a regular season but it was so memorable and exciting game. The crazy reactions postgame was also fun. Epic comeback.

• Like 5

Biggest play in Colts history - Manning’s first snap. From that moment on the Colts have been in the upper echelon of NFL teams. A couple bad years with injuries but when they are healthy they are contenders. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DougDew said:

As far as just the Indy Colts, I'd put the bomb from Luck to TY in that epic KC playoff game pretty high on the list.

I was thinking the same game, but the Superman dive into the end zone by Luck.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

That's still one of my favorite plays of all-time. Playoff football, the emotional rollercoaster throughout the game, the start of a comeback, a fumble at the goal line, the subsequent recovery and TD dive. I think only the AFCCG win over NE gave me anywhere near the same feeling; then or now.

• Like 4
28 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Agreed.  I picked the bomb because it was the official game winning score, and left only 4 minutes on the clock.

On the negative side, Vanderjagt's shank in the play offs that could have sent the Pitt game into overtime.

That 2005 team was the best in the NFL that year,

Same game, Nick Harper not running to the sideline and letting Rothlisburger tackle him. All Vandy would've needed to do was make a Xp if he does.

Positive

Friday I mean Saturday recovers Rhodes fumble for a touchdown in 2006 AFC champ game

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Flash7 said:

Me as well.

As far as four more, geez, as a 50 year fan of the Colts franchise it is hard to pinpoint.  I will go with the following, all as Indianapolis Colts:

Captain Comeback's last minute hail mary versus the Steelers in the 1996 playoffs.  And yes, that WAS a catch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp7WDCXQdJQ

Eric Dickerson's entire 1988 Halloween Monday Night Football Game.

Steve Etman's 90 plus yard interception for a touchdown in '92(?).

Marvin Harrison's entire 2002 season.

I know not all are single plays, though many great plays added to them.

6 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

Another negative id put at the top of the list is Aaron Baileys afcc game drop Ofcourse!

He caught it....

• Like 2

The 1958 championship has to be higher from a significance perspective. Football isn't what it is today without that game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

The 1958 championship has to be higher from a significance perspective. Football isn't what it is today without that game.

Most football historians still call it the greatest game ever played.  There was actually football prior to the Super Bowl era and the Baltimore Colts played in 3 NFL Championships games winning 2 of the 3, with the '58 game being hailed as the greatest game ever played.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, WentzinRome said:

Most football historians still call it the greatest game ever played.  There was actually football prior to the Super Bowl era and the Baltimore Colts played in 3 NFL Championships games winning 2 of the 3, with the '58 game being hailed as the greatest game ever played.

So as the Baltimore Colts they were 4-2 in NFL Championship/Super Bowl games, with the Indianapolis Colts going 1-1 in the Super Bowl.  That is a history to be proud of, not to mention the incredible HOF'ers between both cities :)

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, WentzinRome said:

So as the Baltimore Colts they were 4-2 in NFL Championship/Super Bowl games, with the Indianapolis Colts going 1-1 in the Super Bowl.  That is a history to be proud of, not to mention the incredible HOF'ers between both cities :)

Unfortunately, the Baltimore history causes a lot of controversy when it comes to talking about colts history especially for those who are still angry at Jim's dad for moving the team.

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Unfortunately, the Baltimore history causes a lot of controversy when it comes to talking about colts history especially for those who are still angry at Jim's dad for moving the team.

I agree but the same team, coaching staff, front office, records, uniform, and logo all went from Baltimore to Indianapolis.  I am a Colts fan period, if they moved again and kept their history I would still be a Colts fan.

Just now, WentzinRome said:

I agree but the same team, coaching staff, front office, records, uniform, and logo all went from Baltimore to Indianapolis.  I am a Colts fan period, if they moved again and kept their history I would still be a Colts fan.

Hey same here brother.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, WentzinRome said:

I don't think that matters anymore.   If it did, it would be the Baltimore Browns.

For me, I wasn't a Colts fan before they came to Indy.   I really only pay attention to the history of the Indianapolis Colts.  

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't think that matters anymore.   If it did, it would be the Baltimore Browns.

For me, I wasn't a Colts fan before they came to Indy.   I really only pay attention to the history of the Indianapolis Colts.  

So embracing a successful history is city relevant?  That is myopic, but hey, you are welcome to your thinking.  The franchise is The Colts, regardless of where they play their home games.  

6 minutes ago, WentzinRome said:

So embracing a successful history is city relevant?  That is myopic, but hey, you are welcome to your thinking.  The franchise is The Colts, regardless of where they play their home games.  

It is for me.    I didn't move to Indiana till 1987 and I was 17 years old.   So that's when I became a Colts fan.  If they would leave Indianapolis and move to another city, I would be done with them.   

The Baltimore franchise is actually the Browns.  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Myles said:

It is for me.    I didn't move to Indiana till 1987 and I was 17 years old.   So that's when I became a Colts fan.  If they would leave Indianapolis and move to another city, I would be done with them.   

The Baltimore franchise is actually the Browns.  

I am 54 and from NYC and was a Colts fan from day 1.  There is a rich history and if you would feel the need to bail on your team for moving, from a city that you only moved to at 17, than that is all I need to know.  Enjoy your evening Sir.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, CR91 said:

How do you figure?

1 minute ago, WentzinRome said:

It was and still is considered the greatest game ever played and what really made the NFL in to today's version.

That game didn't shape the current NFL.   It was a great game.  Pretty sloppy though.   Tons of turnovers.  The game today would be exactly the way it is now without that game

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

That game didn't shape the current NFL.   It was a great game.  Pretty sloppy though.   Tons of turnovers.  The game today would be exactly the way it is now without that game

There are plenty of historians that would offer a differing opinion.  It was sloppy due to weather conditions.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/colts-1958-championship-win-giants-voted-greatest-game-66076144

https://www.profootballhof.com/news/greatest-game-ever-played/

https://americanfootballdatabase.fandom.com/wiki/1958_NFL_Championship_Game

• Like 1
Just now, WentzinRome said:

There are plenty of historians that would offer a differing opinion.  It was sloppy due to weather conditions.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/colts-1958-championship-win-giants-voted-greatest-game-66076144

https://www.profootballhof.com/news/greatest-game-ever-played/

Being the best game is one thing.    Saying it shaped the current NFL is hyperbolic.    

25 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

How do you figure?

It helped bring attention to the game. Before then, it was Baseball and Golf that were the biggest sports.

• Thanks 2
4 hours ago, DougDew said:

As far as just the Indy Colts, I'd put the bomb from Luck to TY in that epic KC playoff game pretty high on the list.

If we're going with that game.. I'd say the Luck fumble recovery/dive into endzone was great... also the bomb to Da'Rick Rogers in that game (not a scoring play, but a heckuva play).  

Up there with bad plays that shaped Colts' history - I'd put the plays where Edge/Marv/Reggie blew out their knees.  Especially Edge -- he was off to the best start of any RB in NFL history and getting better.  The fact that he came back from that injury and still went on to become a HOFer is remarkable... but he was young in his career (opposed to Marv and Reggie who were late career injuries) and man the 'Triplets' (Peyton, Marv, Edge) were something else.  I really wish Edge won a SB in Indy.

Marv was stellar and incredibly durable during his career, he never bounced back from his knee injury, but if not for that, he likely would have put up even better numbers than he did and would have cemented himself as a first ballot HOFer.  I keep him in the GOAT category at WR, but say he didn't get hurt and had 2-4 more 90+ reception, >1,100 yards, ~10 TD seasons and I think the rest of the world would have him in there based on his numbers alone.

Reggie was a phenomenal player as well (IMO, second to Marv and above Berry in Colts all time best WRs).  Reggie had great chemistry with Luck and really showed what a great player/teammate/leader he was when the organization was going thru the Peyton to Luck transition.  He'll be in the HOF someday, but man, if he hadn't gotten hurt and had 2-4 more great years the process would be easier for him and who knows how far he could have helped Luck go.

2006 vs Redskins..Peyton Manning got hit down low then up high ripping his helmet off. Years later in 2011 Tony Dungy stated he believed that's where the neck injury stemmed from. Little known play but it set into motion and changed the course of this franchise to where it sits today.

6 hours ago, JediXMan said:

5. 4th and 2 play. It may have just been a regular season but it was so memorable and exciting game. The crazy reactions postgame was also fun. Epic comeback.

What game?

7 minutes ago, craigerb said:

You have to count Rick Volk's 30-yd interception to the 3 yd line in Super Bowl V vs. Dallas Cowboys.

Mike Curtis interception to set up Obriens game winnng kick.

29 minutes ago, craigerb said:

What game?

2009 colts vs pats where BB went for on 4th and 2 inside his own 30 instead of punting.

2 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

If we're going with that game.. I'd say the Luck fumble recovery/dive into endzone was great... also the bomb to Da'Rick Rogers in that game (not a scoring play, but a heckuva play).  

Its a judgment call of course.

I'm judging great plays by looking at what the situation was before the snap occurred.  While the Luck fumble recovery was a great play, it was a fumble after all, and if that play didn't happen we were on the three yard line about to score anyway with time on the clock.  Without the bomb, we'd still be in our own territory with only 4 minutes left, making that maybe our last possession.

Its like that Nick Harper fumble recovery was a great play (could have been greater), because without that play PIT was on our three yard line about to seal the game.  That play was a game changing play, that we didn't convert.

• Like 1

It was just a regular season game in either 2000 or 2001 season at home against the Lions, Colts loosing time running down, Lions driving. Mike Peterson absolutely crushed the Lion running back one of the most solid brutal hits ever, the guy fumbled(honestly, I don't know how he walked off the field after the play) but anyways, the Colts recovered and Peyton took them down the field on an 80 yard drive for the game winning td. That hit is still one of my favorite plays in Colt history.

7 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Thank you.

I was hoping someone would submit this for consideration.   I appreciate that current feelings here about AL are mostly negative, but I think this play was an easy call. 

Big stage.   Big spotlight.   Big play.   What more could you want?   Great is great. 

• Like 1

Yeah if we are just talking plays, Luck makes my list twice. It was in the same game actually, vs KC in the 2013 season WildCard Game.

5. 4th and 2 play vs the Pats in 2009. It set the tone for the rest of that Regular Season. We ended up with the best record and HFA with that win - went on to win the AFC. This is at #5 because it was only regular season but arguably the best regular season win the Colts have ever had.

4. Luck's Superman dive for a TD vs KC in the 2013 WildCard Game.

3. Luck's deep pass to TY for a TD vs KC in the 2013 WildCard Game to complete a 28 point comeback win.

2. Marlin Jackson's INT that sent us to the SB vs the Pats in 2006.

1. Kelvin Hayden's INT for a pick 6 in the SB vs the Bears in 2006, that sealed the Championship for us.

• Like 3