Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard goes into Wentz trade and more (MERGE)

20 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would definitely pay Leonard, Smith, and Nelson. You pay your own. What Ballard didn't do is sign solid FAs when we had the chance the last few years when our payroll was lower. Now we don't have that opportunity with Wentz, and soon to be Leonard, Smith, and Nelson after this year. I could of had it both ways from 2018-2020 with that 2018 draft and we didn't take advantage of it. Now we don't have a 1st round pick next year, and our money is mostly tied up in the 2018 draft class. We have pretty much peaked. Any improvement is based on how much Wentz is better than Rivers and how much better our own get. Is that enough to win a SB? I think we'll be underdogs as I said.

Also, Josh Allen is the 2nd best QB in the NFL behind Mahomes. Wentz is arguably a project right now. There's no comparing them until Reich "fixes" Wentz. I mostly just wanted a FA EDGE as that's what the theme of FA was, and to draft Darrisaw instead of Fisher and Paye. Instead of getting two under 25 year old starters, we get one under 25 year old starter, and a 30 year old with a torn achilles on a one year deal. That's not even counting Dayo either who has a torn achilles himself. 

I never said 3 top FAs.

Based on very little information... You Would Have Done...
 That is plain fantasy of course. You have always been in a rush.
  I respectfully say no more.

13 hours ago, Zoltan said:

your logic doesn't make sense and you are ignoring all of the information that doesn't agree with your view.

By your train of thought every team that has won a super bowl is because of free agency just with the fact that they had free agents on their roster.

No. I can could just say the same stuff back at you. Tautological points aren't persuasive. And I didn't say anything about the Patriots..   

I listed off SIX relevant pieces to that SB run that were acquired off the street with in two years and they're all names, high caliber players. Gronk and AB aren't? Suh is just a guy?

I'm sorry gang, clearly Tom is the biggest difference, but he wasn't going to do that with what had existed for the years prior while the team was and quote "listless". 

On 7/2/2021 at 6:30 PM, Zoltan said:

I think everyone should listen to this podcast episode before next years free agency, just for the part when Ballard says He doesn't like the first couple days of free agency because he won't pay B players A+ money.

And history shows new free agents do not play up to their immediate past levels, certainly in year one. And a high % are dumped after year two based on performance. Wash, rinse, repeat. That is why Our Own players are worth more to us. The staff KNOWS them and they are bonded.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Except look at the quality of the FA's they signed. Tom Brady (greatest QB of all time) who is still on a high level, Gronkowski (who does great with Brady and is probably the 2nd best TE of all time), Antonio Brown (released because of character issues but still plays at a high level), and Shaq Barrett (elite EDGE for them). Fournette also had a decent role as well. They drafted well, but they filled it in with FA's. Also, before you say they got them for cheap because they wanted to sign with TB and Brady, they would of done the same for us if we signed Brady instead of Rivers. We just chose the wrong QB.

Gronk was a backup and washed up, Brown was 3rd string, Leonard season was mostly uneventful until his end of year push.

I am sure the 15 homegrown starters had nothing to do with them winning or the 8 starters who were on rookie contracts. That definitely wasn't a major reason they won (sarcasm)

4 hours ago, The Fish said:

No. I can could just say the same stuff back at you. Tautological points aren't persuasive. And I didn't say anything about the Patriots..   

I listed off SIX relevant pieces to that SB run that were acquired off the street with in two years and they're all names, high caliber players. Gronk and AB aren't? Suh is just a guy?

I'm sorry gang, clearly Tom is the biggest difference, but he wasn't going to do that with what had existed for the years prior while the team was and quote "listless". 

Refer to my post below and I am looking at the whole picture you are looking just where you want. Did Tom Brady help of course but it was mostly the homegrown talent and drafting that helped them win.

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

Gronk was a backup and washed up, Brown was 3rd string, Leonard season was mostly uneventful until his end of year push.

I am sure the 15 homegrown starters had nothing to do with them winning or the 8 starters who were on rookie contracts. That definitely wasn't a major reason they won (sarcasm)

6 hours ago, shasta519 said:

He was an UDFA for DEN back in 2014 and then TB took a flyer on him as a FA in 2019.

Right! Sorry didn’t specify Denver. I stand corrected still though. 

17 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I would have to agree with this. Not saying FAs or trade additions don't count because they do.  But the core of Tampa Bay are the players they drafted and developed.

Still - I look at the Colts and players like Wentz (which we don't know yet how that will turn out) and Buckner to me count as much as anyone we would pick up in FA.  So The Colts do have a mix of homegrown talent and acquired talent.  But Ballard isn't interested in paying A+ money to B players.  And he went on the say that will cost you down the road and he is right.  Everything has an opportunity cost.  When you overpay for an FA what opportunity are you going to miss out on because of that?  Maybe that FA is worth the opportunity you miss, maybe not.  That is Ballard's job to figure out and I certainly think he has more experience, data and help figuring those things out then us on a message board typing away.

Using Tampa Bay as the example for FAs is a problem for several reasons:

• It wasn't just FAs that won the SB
  • There are so many examples of where teams spent on FAs and nothing changed for them

So for me the real story of Tampa Bay is either they found a genie in the bottle or the team was primed to make that next step, they took a risk, and it paid off.  Good for them.  Maybe the Colts will be in that position soon and you might see Ballard then go after one guy with big money.  But then I hear Ballard say you are never just one guy away from a Superbowl championship.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, gspdx said:

I would have to agree with this. Not saying FAs or trade additions don't count because they do.  But the core of Tampa Bay are the players they drafted and developed.

Still - I look at the Colts and players like Wentz (which we don't know yet how that will turn out) and Buckner to me count as much as anyone we would pick up in FA.  So The Colts do have a mix of homegrown talent and acquired talent.  But Ballard isn't interested in paying A+ money to B players.  And he went on the say that will cost you down the road and he is right.  Everything has an opportunity cost.  When you overpay for an FA what opportunity are you going to miss out on because of that?  Maybe that FA is worth the opportunity you miss, maybe not.  That is Ballard's job to figure out and I certainly think he has more experience, data and help figuring those things out then us on a message board typing away.

Using Tampa Bay as the example for FAs is a problem for several reasons:

• It wasn't just FAs that won the SB
  • There are so many examples of where teams spent on FAs and nothing changed for them

So for me the real story of Tampa Bay is either they found a genie in the bottle or the team was primed to make that next step, they took a risk, and it paid off.  Good for them.  Maybe the Colts will be in that position soon and you might see Ballard then go after one guy with big money.  But then I hear Ballard say you are never just one guy away from a Superbowl championship.

The draft is definitely more important than FA to win a championship, however, that doesn't mean you should completely ignore FA either. Besides Autry, Houston, Rivers, and Rhodes, what has Ballard honestly done in FA? You can say you build through the draft and all and that's true, but Ballard is almost literally trying to build this team with nothing FA-wise but depth FAs.

Do you know how hard that is? You would literally have to buld the Colts through Madden like I do to accomplish what Ballard is preaching where you hit on every draft pick because your scouting is perfect. In Madden, I can do what Ballard tries to do in real life. In real life, it's impossible for any GM. You need FAs to fall back on, you have to do your homework there and get a few guys to set up the draft. They compliment each other. You shouldn't just completely ignore FA. Ballard is going to learn very quickly he can't just do it through the draft. He can build a very good team that way, but he's going to have to maintain a 75% hit rate to do so in the long-term, and that's not sustainable.

Trust Ballard all you want, you're trusting odds that Ballard can't sustain his entire GM career. It may of worked with Luck, but until Wentz proves he's on Luck's level, the drafting strategy by itself won't work, and he's going to need additional help around him through FA also and we are only hurting ourselves until Ballard adjusts and figures it out.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

however, that doesn't mean you should completely ignore FA either.

Ignore by your standards? They have not even come close to completely ignoring FA. 

Com'n bruh.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The draft is definitely more important than FA to win a championship, however, that doesn't mean you should completely ignore FA either. Besides Autry, Houston, Rivers, and Rhodes, what has Ballard honestly done in FA? You can say you build through the draft and all and that's true, but Ballard is almost literally trying to build this team with nothing FA-wise but depth FAs.

Do you know how hard that is? You would literally have to buld the Colts through Madden like I do to accomplish what Ballard is preaching where you hit on every draft pick because your scouting is perfect. In Madden, I can do what Ballard tries to do in real life. In real life, it's impossible for any GM. You need FAs to fall back on, you have to do your homework there and get a few guys to set up the draft. They compliment each other. You shouldn't just completely ignore FA. Ballard is going to learn very quickly he can't just do it through the draft. He can build a very good team that way, but he's going to have to maintain a 75% hit rate to do so in the long-term, and that's not sustainable.

Trust Ballard all you want, you're trusting odds that Ballard can't sustain his entire GM career. It may of worked with Luck, but until Wentz proves he's on Luck's level, the drafting strategy by itself won't work, and he's going to need additional help around him through FA also and we are only hurting ourselves until Ballard adjusts and figures it out.

If Wentz doesn't work out I feel like we are back to being a mid level team searching for the franchise QB.  The only way this works is if Wentz excels.  I am not saying he needs to be Manning or something. But very few teams in this league will sniff a Superbowl without a stud QB.

With that said - if Wentz works out and excels I don't think we are that far away.  Sure we still have some holes to fill.  I am not sold on the Fisher move yet.  I wasn't a big proponent of the Wentz trade. But I agree with the overall approach.

And when I step back a bit and think - Wentz, Fisher, Buckner.  If these 3 guys work out they are huge moves.  Certainly some risk I will not deny that.  But if we just look at acquired players rather than focusing on just FAs, this is big.  3 very important positions that if they work out will be a major impact to this team and are not Colts drafted players.  Again, risky and not could end up back firing.  Time will tell.  But Ballard isn't just building through the draft.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Ignore by your standards? They have not even come close to completely ignoring FA. 

Com'n bruh.

Rivers, Houston, and Autry are all gone. We originally signed Rhodes for cheap 2 years ago after the original FA period. Literally the only notable FA we signed this year that isn't our own is a 30 year-old Fisher with a torn achilles. 

At least with Rivers we signed him with just money. We obviously weren't getting Wentz for free, but the only way we possibly improved our roster in FA besides Fisher was with Wentz, and it'll probably cost us a 1st and a 3rd. It'd sure be nice to sign a FA or two that could improve us that only costs money. Could of done it in the 2018-2021 time frame. After this year, we have to pay our own and it won't be an option anymore. Oh well. :(

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Rivers, Houston, and Autry are all gone. We originally signed Rhodes for cheap 2 years ago after the original FA period. Literally the only notable FA we signed this year that isn't our own is a 30 year-old Fisher with a torn achilles. 

At least with Rivers we signed him with just money. We obviously weren't getting Wentz for free, but the only way we possibly improved our roster in FA besides Fisher was with Wentz, and it'll probably cost us a 1st and a 3rd. It'd sure be nice to sign a FA or two that could improve us that only costs money. Could of done it in the 2018-2021 time frame. After this year, we have to pay our own and it won't be an option anymore. Oh well. :(

It will get more difficult for sure.  I get your point.  And if Wentz works out I would like to see them get a bit more aggressive in filling holes if needed.  We will need to compete at the highest level soon to capitalize on this core of guys.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Refer to my post below and I am looking at the whole picture you are looking just where you want. Did Tom Brady help of course but it was mostly the homegrown talent and drafting that helped them win.

It wasn't going to win a Super Bowl, which is the point I'm revolving around. And I've provided the context several times now. It's not for every team at all points, but the idea that FA can't be used to put a team over the top is wrong. The end.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The team won't be as cash strapped as you think. Ballard won't be rolling over the GDP of a small country for a few years, but because there's good control on dead cap space and the cap it's self is expanding, there's going to be room, if that's the move.

The rest of your point is kinda true. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Fish said:

It wasn't going to win a Super Bowl, which is the point I'm revolving around. And I've provided the context several times now. It's not for every team at all points, but the idea that FA can't be used to put a team over the top is wrong. The end.

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

The team won't be as cash strapped as you think. Ballard won't be rolling over the GDP of a small country for a few years, but because there's good control on dead cap space and the cap it's self is expanding, there's going to be room, if that's the move.

The rest of your point is kinda true. 

Good points on the cap, and I agree, depending on what happens with Nelson, Leonard and Smith, but even if they're at the top end of their positions we should still be fine.

To the bolded, I don't think that's what anyone is saying. Personally, I push back against using the Bucs as a model because, before 2020, the Bucs acquired players however they could -- draft, trade, FA -- and they were still bad. Their GM has been there seven years, they've had three coaches, and for the first six they were something like 20 games below .500. Between getting Arians in 2019, and then Brady, they had a successful 2020, so I'm sure everyone is fine with how it went in hindsight. But they weren't well run, and they weren't trending toward contention. They were stagnant, and without a clear direction, didn't have a QB, and then signed Brady and won the SB. Not exactly a model to emulate. You say they did FA correctly; I say they mostly just got lucky, after being a mess for six years.

And again, for every team that hits like the Bucs did, there are a dozen that fail and fall apart in short order. 

But to your initial post in this thread, about whether Ballard will ever open it up, I agree that a couple of hits for a team that's already reasonably talented can matter a great deal. In principal I agree with the concept of building through the draft and being judicious in FA, and I see the merits of the Colts contract/cap strategy in a rising cap environment. If you draft well, you can remain competitive for a long time, build a sustained program.

But every season, there are two or three teams that go super aggressive in FA, who backload contracts to stretch out their cap space, and that upsets the balance. Those teams generally have to pay for their "sins" two or three years in the future, when they have to release/trade good players, rework their roster, etc. But by then, another two or three teams are taking the same big swing. So there's always someone running out front, and all it takes is one team -- like the Bucs -- to strike oil. Or another team -- like the Bills -- to take a big step forward and become a major threat. Meanwhile, the more disciplined teams are staying steady, always have cap space, but never really push into the top tier.

And now, three seasons after Luck's retirement, and five years into Ballard's tenure, we need to be more than 'steady.' It's time to start making some serious noise in the AFC, particularly in the playoffs.

• Like 3

On 7/6/2021 at 9:02 AM, The Fish said:

Florio is just bleh. Can't talk PFT without mentioning his brand of awfulness. Give me the rodeo clown commentators any day over his smugness.

Anyway. Ballard is doing things right on paper (we think, lot's of picks are still in the "can they?" folder). That's fine, but he's going to contend with the reality that FA can matter and reset the whole NFL. Tampa won the SB specifically because they did FA correct and didn't get cold feet, going and getting AB, Gronk, Fornette etc to make sure the talent base was high. It might not always be possible or prudent for the Colts to do that, but when people get cranky at FA being slow around here, that's what people are pinning their hopes against. I'm just curious if Ballard is going to ever get to that place where he thinks it's time or not to go all in. And if he doesn't and the team continues to be merely pretty good- AT SOME POINT- his job status will have to be looked at. Because tbh- from what I'm seeing, this thing he's building is capping out at "merely pretty good" and doing things *correctly* is cool, but Jared see's what I'm seeing. A list of other teams are better and not insignificantly so. So what's the goal here?

The way I see this is that FA can be a double edged sword. I do agree with you about folks pinning their hopes against the results Tampa got from their FA moves, the key word being results. If Tampa had flamed out people would be singing a completely different tune about those signings and casting them in the same light as Ballard's approach as low risk. It's about results. It doesn't matter how you get there, all that matters is hoisting the Lombardi. So by virtue of the hardware, the signings make Tampa's front office look brilliant. High profile signings can also blow up in a GM's face just as easily by creating dead money and a hole in the roster. Sometimes all it takes is one bad contract to sink a team.

Let’s not forget tampa didn’t pay a lot to Barrett when they first signed him. They got very fortunate with him. Yes they eventually paid him but it was low risk when they brought him to Tampa.

These FA pass rushers this past season will prove they didn’t deserve big money. Most of them will flame out. After the draft we should all be happy how that turned out.

I think something to remember about FA in particular is it gets skewed towards "not working", because most of the time, the teams that are doing it are bottom ten teams with less talented rosters, and most importantly, no QB to carry them to a championship. Whenever a more talented team that has a QB decides to go for it and use FA to push them over the top, that gets much better results.

That may be the secret sauce. Use FA as a means to win once you have a viable QB. Two recent examples are the Broncos and Bucs of course. They got Manning and Brady through FA, made a FA run, and ended up making 3 SBs combined and winning two. I would also argue the Bucs will remain one of the favorites in the NFC to make the SB every year until Brady leaves as well. 

The Browns made quite a few FA signings as well on defense with Clowney, John Johnson, Troy Hill, Anthony Walker from the Colts and more. Along with buffering their defense with Newsome and JOK in the first two rounds of the draft. They could be a contender this year by taking the next step and going that route with an already talented team.

15 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think something to remember about FA in particular is it gets skewed towards "not working", because most of the time, the teams that are doing it are bottom ten teams with less talented rosters, and most importantly, no QB to carry them to a championship. Whenever a more talented team that has a QB decides to go for it and use FA to push them over the top, that gets much better results.

That may be the secret sauce. Use FA as a means to win once you have a viable QB. Two recent examples are the Broncos and Bucs of course. They got Manning and Brady through FA, made a FA run, and ended up making 3 SBs combined and winning two. I would also argue the Bucs will remain one of the favorites in the NFC to make the SB every year until Brady leaves as well. 

The Browns made quite a few FA signings as well on defense with Clowney, John Johnson, Troy Hill, Anthony Walker from the Colts and more. Along with buffering their defense with Newsome and JOK in the first two rounds of the draft. They could be a contender this year by taking the next step and going that route with an already talented team.

So let's see how Wentz works out.  If Wentz and fisher work out this year, fisher signs a new deal, and the colts look good, it might be time to be more aggressive in FA.  

But I  still wouldn't count on Ballard paying A+ money for B guys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2021 at 10:21 AM, Zoltan said:

Also thought it was interesting that Carson’s college coach was the guy that recruited Ballard back in the day

Hey Ballard, you owe me one…”badda boom, badda bing”, Wentz to lead the team.

Rivers is $25 million dollars richer in one season because he knew somebody. Let’s hope we get a Super Bowl victory with this deal for Wentz.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Colts Fan in Arizona said:

Rivers is $25 million dollars richer in one season because he knew somebody. Let’s hope we get a Super Bowl victory with this deal for Wentz.

Rivers played very well, very very well given it was a one year deal, and coming into a new scheme and new players. He earned his money. Much better ROI than the previous year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Colts Fan in Arizona said:

Rivers played good, yes good. Just because a QB doesn't win the SB means they were bad or "knew somebody" to get paid. Rivers got paid what he should've plain and simple, he is a Hall of Famer. I am so sick of the Rivers haters, we have spoiled rotten fans. He put up good numbers and we went 11-5, the blame goes to other area's. Blaming a QB for losses is lame but that is our day and age. This place gets sillier by the moment. Rivers had nothing to do with why we lost to Buffalo, look at dumb plays like jumping offsides on 4th down by a lot of peoples favorite defensive player in here!  -and missing a chip shot FG to why we lost. 

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rivers played good, yes good. Just because a QB doesn't win the SB means they were bad or "knew somebody" to get paid. Rivers got paid what he should've plain and simple, he is a Hall of Famer. I am so sick of the Rivers haters, we have spoiled rotten fans. He put up good numbers and we went 11-5, the blame goes to other area's. Blaming a QB for losses is lame but that is our day and age. This place gets sillier by the moment. Rivers had nothing to do with why we lost to Buffalo, look at dumb plays like jumping offsides on 4th down by a lot of peoples favorite defensive player in here!  -and missing a chip shot FG to why we lost. 

I will say it again, and not afraid to do so…I want a Super Bowl victory!

Look back at all my messages. I lost count have many times I mentioned I want a Super Bowl victory.

How many times have you mentioned wanting a Lombardi Trophy?

I don’t hate…if you think he earned $25 million dollars for 11 wins, then cool…tell me one good reason why I should not want a Super Bowl Victory for The Indianapolis Colts…and Us fans…no matter who our quarterback is.

Go Colts 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Colts Fan in Arizona said:

I will say it again, and not afraid to do so…I want a Super Bowl victory!

Look back at all my messages. I lost count have many times I mentioned I want a Super Bowl victory.

How many times have you mentioned wanting a Lombardi Trophy?

I don’t hate…if you think he earned $25 million dollars for 11 wins, then cool…tell me one good reason why I should not want a Super Bowl Victory for The Indianapolis Colts…and Us fans…no matter who our quarterback is.

Go Colts 

I want a SB victory as well, that is what we all want but 30 other teams didn't win it all either. I get where you are coming from. It is really hard to win a SB, as great as Peyton Manning was here we only won 1. The greatest of all-time according to ESPN - Pat Mahomes looked horrible in the SB and KC got blown out. Yes I do think Rivers was worth 25 Mill, he led us to 11 wins and he is not the reason why we lost to Buffalo. Rivers threw for nearly 4200 Yards in a run first offense and completed 68% of his passes - he earned his money. Watson was paid more than him and the Texans went 4-12 but I consider Watson a franchise QB easily.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I want a SB victory as well, that is what we all want but 30 other teams didn't win it all either. I get where you are coming from. It is really hard to win a SB, as great as Peyton Manning was here we only won 1. The greatest of all-time according to ESPN - Pat Mahomes looked horrible in the SB and KC got blown out. Yes I do think Rivers was worth 25 Mill, he led us to 11 wins and he is not the reason why we lost to Buffalo. Rivers threw for nearly 4200 Yards in a run first offense and completed 68% of his passes - he earned his money. Watson was paid more than him and the Texans went 4-12 but I consider Watson a franchise QB easily.

I’ve said for years if a Super Bowl victory is the only thing that will make someone happy with a season they are going to have a very miserable experience being a football fan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’ve said for years if a Super Bowl victory is the only thing that will make someone happy with a season they are going to have a very miserable experience being a football fan.

Yep. If someone is only happy if your team wins a SB then they need to get something else to follow because winning a SB rarely happens for any team. Other than the Patriots, since the 2001 season (20 seasons) only 2 other teams have won 2 SB's = Giants and Steelers. The Patriots have certain people in this brain fog thinking it is easy to win a SB every year because they won 6. People that expect to win a SB every year need to quit watching IMO because it rarely happens. You will be miserable so it isn't worth it haha .We won 1 in 2006, glad to be a part of it. It was special but just being good is also entertaining and worth watching and we have had many years of that. Do I want another SB win, hell yes but I never expect it.

54 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Thank you for saying this.

I’ve posted this same thought several times and while it typically gets a good reaction,  just not by enough people here.   If you’re a member here for long enough there are times when it feels like few others understand that.

As a sports fan all my life I get the agony of defeat.   But I’ve come to understand just what you wrote.   There won’t be enough of the highest highs to  help you through the lowest lows.  So you have to learn to Enjoy The Journey.    Not just Year to Year or Month to Month but even Week to Week and Day to Day.   

Look how excited Chloe is that camp opens in two plus weeks.   And the season is just two months away.   This website is unbelievably quiet now.   But it will be buzzing soon and ramping up to full speed shortly thereafter. 

Enjoy the journey.  The Colts should have better days ahead for the rest of this year and beyond.    

Thanks again, GC8818.     :thmup:

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep. If someone is only happy if your team wins a SB then they need to get something else to follow because winning a SB rarely happens for any team. Other than the Patriots, since the 2001 season (20 seasons) only 2 other teams have won 2 SB's = Giants and Steelers. The Patriots have certain people in this brain fog thinking it is easy to win a SB every year because they won 6. People that expect to win a SB every year need to quit watching IMO because it rarely happens. You will be miserable so it isn't worth it haha .We won 1 in 2006, glad to be a part of it. It was special but just being good is also entertaining and worth watching and we have had many years of that. Do I want another SB win, hell yes but I never expect it.

I guess for me it was the extreme expectations we had because of Peyton, and the drafting of Andrew right after. If we didn't have those guys and were a team like the Lions, I'd be a much different type of fan. However, even as a kid, I knew Peyton was special, and when he ended up leaving the Colts and accomplishing the minimum in my mind, I was so bummed and indifferent towards the team. At that point, I hated Polian, and rooted for Peyton on the Broncos to win another SB. When he did the same on the Broncos as the Colts (made 2 SBs and won 1), it made me realize how bad the teams were around him.

When we drafted Luck, I was excited. The first three years were fun and I realized soon after we had a horrible GM that couldn't build a team around Luck. He got hurt by playing and he got hurt in a snowboarding accident. 2018 was a great year and I was looking forward to the future. When Luck retired, I was basically finished watching the Colts. 20 years of the Colts with Manning and Luck and one SB win. The 3rd best QB of all time and the best QB prospect since Elway and it's all taken away from us. 20 years of superior QB play and we accomplished the minimum. 

I love Ballard as a GM and feel horrible for him for what Luck did to this team by retiring, but the last two years I started transitioning to fantasy sports more than actual sports and only watched Bronco games occasionally with my parents. I had to figure out what was more important to me, going through something where I have no faith in the outcome I want, or having fun. My way of having fun is involving me in the action. That's what fantasy sports and sports betting does, and I'm a lot happier now. Even though Ballard has done a decent job building the team, the fact that we have Mahomes, Allen, Lamar, Watson, Tannehill, Mayfield, and lots of new, young QBs in the conference makes me feel outmatched when it comes to this team. 

For me, I feel like I'm having fun rooting for individual players on my fantasy teams (daily and yearly). I make money, and it's less stressful then having to care about a team you root for winning and losing or getting hurt. I'm a Braves fan and Acuna got hurt, I cared more because I had his card and it went down in value then my team being affected negatively by not having him (I obviously care about his health). I've grown out of sports I guess for the "rah rah" be a good fan and root for your team schtick. Now it's about how sports can benefit me and make my life better, not rooting for a bunch of guys who don't care about me.

Sorry for the long rant. Just needed to vent a little as I've had a lot of frustration towards this team built up over the last few years. Thanks for reading this. You have been a great friend to me since I've been on this forum. :) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I guess for me it was the extreme expectations we had because of Peyton, and the drafting of Andrew right after. If we didn't have those guys and were a team like the Lions, I'd be a much different type of fan. However, even as a kid, I knew Peyton was special, and when he ended up leaving the Colts and accomplishing the minimum in my mind, I was so bummed and indifferent towards the team. At that point, I hated Polian, and rooted for Peyton on the Broncos to win another SB. When he did the same on the Broncos as the Colts (made 2 SBs and won 1), it made me realize how bad the teams were around him.

When we drafted Luck, I was excited. The first three years were fun and I realized soon after we had a horrible GM that couldn't build a team around Luck. He got hurt by playing and he got hurt in a snowboarding accident. 2018 was a great year and I was looking forward to the future. When Luck retired, I was basically finished watching the Colts. 20 years of the Colts with Manning and Luck and one SB win. The 3rd best QB of all time and the best QB prospect since Elway and it's all taken away from us. 20 years of superior QB play and we accomplished the minimum. 

I love Ballard as a GM and feel horrible for him for what Luck did to this team by retiring, but the last two years I started transitioning to fantasy sports more than actual sports and only watched Bronco games occasionally with my parents. I had to figure out what was more important to me, going through something where I have no faith in the outcome I want, or having fun. My way of having fun is involving me in the action. That's what fantasy sports and sports betting does, and I'm a lot happier now. Even though Ballard has done a decent job building the team, the fact that we have Mahomes, Allen, Lamar, Watson, Tannehill, Mayfield, and lots of new, young QBs in the conference makes me feel outmatched when it comes to this team. 

For me, I feel like I'm having fun rooting for individual players on my fantasy teams (daily and yearly). I make money, and it's less stressful then having to care about a team you root for winning and losing or getting hurt. I'm a Braves fan and Acuna got hurt, I cared more because I had his card and it went down in value then my team being affected negatively by not having him (I obviously care about his health). I've grown out of sports I guess for the "rah rah" be a good fan and root for your team schtick. Now it's about how sports can benefit me and make my life better, not rooting for a bunch of guys who don't care about me.

Sorry for the long rant. Just needed to vent a little as I've had a lot of frustration towards this team built up over the last few years. Thanks for reading this. You have been a great friend to me since I've been on this forum. :) 

Good bye and good luck in fantasy football!

18 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Jared,   I should say up front, if you're happy with whatever you're doing, then I'm happy.   That's all I ever care about for anyone.    Be happy.   Enjoy the ride,   enjoy the journey.

I'm responding to your post, only to one phrase that I don't recall you ever saying before.   That you hated Polian and realized how terrible the teams that Manning had around him.   You called them "bad."

To be honest,  I haven't seen that claim from anyone else in my 9 years here.   And frankly,  I'm stunned that you think that.

Let's see,  those bad teams had 3 other Hall of Famers,  Harrison, Wayne and James.   Several more who might also get in in Freeney and Mathis,   and a number of others who are in the Hall of the Very Good:   like Clark and Saturday among others.    There is no part of those teams that were bad.   Things didn't fall apart until 2011.   By then,  Indy was the 2nd winningest NFL team for roughly a dozen years behind only NE.    The Patriots are the only reason the Colts didn't win more titles.    Those Colts teams were terrific.    Polian has nothing to apologize for except maybe the last few seasons when drafting went South.   But, on balance,  Peyton was surrounded by quality players.

You're so upset your favorite team didn't win more,  then you seem unable to recognize how good those teams were.

People in this thread have been writing about learning to enjoy being a fan even when your team doesn't win the Super Bowl.   About enjoying the journey.    If you can't have fun being a fan,  then why bother?    I hope you'll read this and take it to heart.

Just my two cents from a distance.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Jared,   I should say up front, if you're happy with whatever you're doing, then I'm happy.   That's all I ever care about for anyone.    Be happy.   Enjoy the ride,   enjoy the journey.

I'm responding to your post, only to one phrase that I don't recall you ever saying before.   That you hated Polian and realized how terrible the teams that Manning had around him.   You called them "bad."

To be honest,  I haven't seen that claim from anyone else in my 9 years here.   And frankly,  I'm stunned that you think that.

Let's see,  those bad teams had 3 other Hall of Famers,  Harrison, Wayne and James.   Several more who might also get in in Freeney and Mathis,   and a number of others who are in the Hall of the Very Good:   like Clark and Saturday among others.    There is no part of those teams that were bad.   Things didn't fall apart until 2011.   By then,  Indy was the 2nd winningest NFL team for roughly a dozen years behind only NE.    The Patriots are the only reason the Colts didn't win more titles.    Those Colts teams were terrific.    Polian has nothing to apologize for except maybe the last few seasons when drafting went South.   But, on balance,  Peyton was surrounded by quality players.

You're so upset your favorite team didn't win more,  then you seem unable to recognize how good those teams were.

People in this thread have been writing about learning to enjoy being a fan even when your team doesn't win the Super Bowl.   About enjoying the journey.    If you can't have fun being a fan,  then why bother?    I hope you'll read this and take it to heart.

Just my two cents from a distance.

Don't forget future hall of famer Adam Viniteri

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I respect your honesty Jared. Like @NewColtsFanposted what makes you happy is it all that counts my friend. I want to win a SB just as bad as anyone in here but realize the odds are very low with 31 teams fighting for the same thing. I thought with Peyton are odds were decent especially from 2003-2009 but even with decent odds we only won 1. So besides wanting a SB, I also just enjoy if the team is good and fun to watch each weekend. I enjoy any win basically and we have done a bunch of winning. Since the 2002 season we have only had 3 losing seasons = 2011, 2017, and 2019. In 2011 Peyton was out for the season, 2017 Luck was out for the season. In 2019 JB was the QB and we still were nearly .500. Eventhough we didn't win the SB in 2012, tell me you didn't enjoy going 11-5 (Luck's rookie season) after losing Peyton. Luck was amazing as a rookie. I also thought last season was fun, Rivers was good in going 11-5 and we gave Buffalo all they could handle in the playoffs.

• Like 2

Looks like Strachan is still in Houston with Wentz if his story is actually current and not from a week ago. I am laughing because Wentz has on a red jersey and his helmet. Go check out Strachan IG story.

I have no probs with Ballard's FA comments for the record.  As a general rule it's a good approach if you want to compete year to year.  Bad contracts require more organizational attention every year as well as ownership involvement to get out of.

And on that vein I'll note that to do what you see some teams (Rams being today's premium example) doing you need an owner willing to dish out a lot of cash.  Deep pockets at your owner position matter.  Colts are just not gonna be one of those teams and with a guy like Ballard he might operate differently depending on what owner he's under.  Just saying that affects more than most fans realize.

On the positive side Ballard has done a fantastic job patiently building this roster into one of the best in the league.  He's conservative and uses the draft but in the end the most important element for a GM is a great eye.  He's got that.  He has a great eye for talent, and he also does a good job with the staff.  We are fortunate to have him.

• Like 1