Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Carson Wentz: "New passion for the game" article on NFL.com

joecolts

Nice article on NFL.com on Carson Wentz and his new passion and outlook with this new beginning with the Colts.  

Sometimes being humbled leads to great lessons and elevates you to new heights.  From the article, Wentz says, "I really feel like I have a new passion for the game," Wentz said, per Jonathan X. Simmons of the Indy Star. "I've been high, I've been injured, I've been, now, benched, I've been traded, I've kinda seen a lot in five years, so whatever the game throws at me, I'm ready."

https://www.nfl.com/news/carson-wentz-i-really-feel-like-i-have-a-new-passion-for-the-game-in-indianapoli

1 hour ago, twfish said:

I could see that whenever they were playing hotshots and he was going against Mo. I don't know about you all but I could feel the passion in that video.

Me too.  He displays a real desire to not only be great but, crush the negative stereotype he was labeled with in Philly.  

I think simply he's in a better spot, with better fans. Even in his greatest year (2017), many were calling for Foles to start 2018. 

And Philly fans, are well, Philly fans. 

I think the chip he is wearing on his shoulder will fuel him have a great season.

58 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think simply he's in a better spot, with better fans. Even in his greatest year (2017), many were calling for Foles to start 2018. 

I think the chip he is wearing on his shoulder will fuel him have a great season.

Pretty sure the statue of Foles didn't help either haha

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Yup lol... I totally forgot about the Philly Special statue. 

But given all the Foles starter talk, statue, etc..., I would not have blamed Wentz for wanting to get the heck out of Philly after 17 season.

I hope he balls out this year, and Philly fans will be like WTx.... 

32 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup lol... I totally forgot about the Philly Special statue. 

But given all the Foles starter talk, statue, etc..., I would not have blamed Wentz for wanting to get the heck out of Philly after 17 season.

I hope he balls out this year, and Philly fans will be like WTx.... 

I hope for eagles fans sake that Wentz and Hurts both have great seasons. If Hurts  plays well they most likely won’t care how Wentz plays. But if the eagles are bad and Wentz is great you know they are going to be so mad.

23 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I hope for eagles fans sake that Wentz and Hurts both have great seasons. If Hurts  plays well they most likely won’t care how Wentz plays. But if the eagles are bad and Wentz is great you know they are going to be so mad.

It doesn’t matter how they do. Philly fans are always mad regardless 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

That would be better, if they do bad and Wentz balls out. I would lmao . 

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I like Hurtz as a person a lot. Love how he responded in college. I have my doubts about his NFL abilities. I'm cheering for him though. I'm not cheering for Philly though. My gut says Wentz will be top 10ish, and Hurtz will be bottom half. Not wishing bad on Hurtz or anything, but I would savor in Wentz getting some vindication.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I like Hurtz as a person a lot. Love how he responded in college. I have my doubts about his NFL abilities. I'm cheering for him though. I'm not cheering for Philly though. My gut says Wentz will be top 10ish, and Hurtz will be bottom half. Not wishing bad on Hurtz or anything, but I would savor in Wentz getting some vindication.

I agree I see Wentz being at worse above average, he may even be good so top 10-15ish but I see Hurtz around 20-25. I have nothing against Hurtz but nothing I see tells me he will be top 15 or better.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree I see Wentz being at worse above average, he may even be good so top 10-15ish but I see Hurtz around 20-25. I have nothing against Hurtz but nothing I see tells me he will be top 15 or better.

Yup. Both Bama and OK have a talent and/or scheme thingy going on. Hurtz is a baller though. I absolutely love his demeanor and how he handled things at Bama, and love how he balled out at OK. 3800+ and 32 TDs at OK is no joke. But the scheme and coach likely had something to do with that. I'd love to see him be a great NFL QB though. Any guy that handle things like he did, and then go to another school and straight up kill, is a "dude". But I do like the thought of Wentz making Philly fans shartz their pants.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree.  I expect him to play “good enuff” to lead this team to playoffs.  It may not happen, but he sure shouldhave the tools and comfort level.  But as we saw with Peyton, it takes much more than one guy.  Im putting alot on the coaches this year.
  I’m excited.  Very interested to see what this offence couldbecome.

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I like Hurtz as a person a lot. Love how he responded in college. I have my doubts about his NFL abilities. I'm cheering for him though. I'm not cheering for Philly though.

Couldn't agree more.  He's a great young man who refused to just roll over and quit.  Love his internal fortitude but, like you mentioned; I'm concerned about how his game will translate over to the NFL.  

18 hours ago, EastStreet said:

One thing that stood out to me in the Gruden QB camp video with Wentz (another thread) was how Wentz talked about Fargo, the fans, and the environment around NDSU. It seemed like those things really mattered to him and I can imagine going to what is generally considered to be one of the more toxic fanbases in the league having a big negative effect on him. Ideally, you'd like your franchise QB to be mentally strong enough to overcome anything, but not everyone is wired the same way, and I don't see that as a negative for Wentz. I think with the organization, fanbase, and environment that Indy has, he'll thrive.

14 minutes ago, Shive said:

One thing that stood out to me in the Gruden QB camp video with Wentz (another thread) was how Wentz talked about Fargo, the fans, and the environment around NDSU. It seemed like those things really mattered to him and I can imagine going to what is generally considered to be one of the more toxic fanbases in the league having a big negative effect on him. Ideally, you'd like your franchise QB to be mentally strong enough to overcome anything, but not everyone is wired the same way, and I don't see that as a negative for Wentz. I think with the organization, fanbase, and environment that Indy has, he'll thrive.

My feelings exactly. 

On 7/2/2021 at 2:24 PM, Shive said:

Agreed. I've read and read on Wentz since we picked him up. At first, I wasn't all that happy and was pretty meh. I'm more and more optimistic now that I have a fuller view. Not saying he won't struggle, or even flop, but what I will say, is I can understand how and why the Philly situation happened, and I don't see that happening here. Like I've said in other threads, I think he'll be in that 8-12 range in most stats. My biggest concern is that Reich keeps the training wheels on too long, and we have a rough start to the season. Games 1 and 2 will sure be interesting.

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Anyone wonder if Wentz would of asked for a trade if the colts didn’t need a QB?

It's certainly a weird situation, and you have to wonder if there was any back-channel communication. And to add to the strangeness is Indy's OC going to Philly, which many thought might be an effort to repair the relationship. 

My personal opinion is he wanted out, regardless of which team needed a QB. It was just a perfect storm of sorts that led him to Indy. The only thing I wonder about sometimes is if he and Reich remained in close contact over the years. If so, who knows what impact that may have had. But you have to think Reich kept things on the up and up.

34 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It's certainly a weird situation, and you have to wonder if there was any back-channel communication. And to add to the strangeness is Indy's OC going to Philly, which many thought might be an effort to repair the relationship. 

My personal opinion is he wanted out, regardless of which team needed a QB. It was just a perfect storm of sorts that led him to Indy. The only thing I wonder about sometimes is if he and Reich remained in close contact over the years. If so, who knows what impact that may have had. But you have to think Reich kept things on the up and up.

It makes you wonder with how close Wentz and Reich are how there could not of been some level of tampering.  I mean as long as the colts were involved in trade talks and it was known this is where Wentz wanted to play other teams probably didn’t even try to get him. Carson was easily able to say I ain’t going anywhere but Indy. Who wants to trade for a player that only wants to play in one place.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

It makes you wonder with how close Wentz and Reich are how there could not of been some level of tampering.  I mean as long as the colts were involved in trade talks and it was known this is where Wentz wanted to play other teams probably didn’t even try to get him. Carson was easily able to say I ain’t going anywhere but Indy. Who wants to trade for a player that only wants to play in one place.

I'm not sure we really know how close they are/were during FR's years in Indy. Weekly calls, monthly calls, or just periodic check ins. I'd have to imagine based on FR's personality, that whatever the frequency was, he was a supportive ear, but wasn't recruiting. But being supportive could have easily planted seeds in Carson's mind. And Carson could have simply said anything. We also know that Carson's agent was talking to multiple teams. PR's "retirement" though seemed a bit weird though in the way it went down, so that kind of pushed me to believe we said no thanks, and I don't know if we would have done that without plan of action in mind. Who know though. 

All I'll say, is I think Carson lucked out in landing in Indy. While I'm not 100% sold on FR in some areas, I am confident he'll deal with the personality/confidence side of Carson very well. And while I'm not a big fan of some of the conservative aspects of the offensive scheme, one has to think that FR will set up Wentz for success and slow roll him a bit. That might be hard to do though given our early schedule, and some of the run Ds we face early. Regardless, I think it will work out long term.

18 hours ago, NodakColt said:

Doug Pederson Admits Eagles' Plan at QB Went Awry

The Eagles wanted Jalen Hurts to settle in as a cost-effective backup for Carson Wentz

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/doug-pederson-admits-eagles-plan-at-qb-went-awry

5 minutes ago, gspdx said:

And yet with all the other needs on that team they went - QB?  

Yeah makes no sense using a 2nd round pick on a player you hope never actually plays, when you can usually find a starter 

On 7/1/2021 at 8:15 PM, CR91 said:

Wow, they built a statue of Foles!? Did Philly fans think Foles was Peyton Manning? Now I want to see Foles fail.

Archived