Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Potential OL Theory

Hey everyone! Been a long time since I’ve posted.  But there’s a lot of excitement for this upcoming season.  One thing people have been discussing a lot of the offensive line, especially the situation with Fisher and the first 5 weeks of the season if he is not healthy.

Before I get started, its all a moot point if Fish is just healthy week one.  And it might be a bit of a Madden dream scenario but bear with me because I do think it has merit.

I think we can all agree if Fish is out the first 5 weeks, its gonna be tough with a new QB leading our team.  We need to think about David DeCastro.  You are probably saying well he is a RG how will he help out LT situation.

I’ll tell you…. Quentin Nelson.

A lot of people want to see it.  No one really wants it to be permanent because of his fierce nature vs putting him in pass block stances.  But if Fish is not available, we absolutely need to think about signing DeCastro.  Play Glowinkski at LG with Nelson at LT first 6 weeks if we need to put Fish on PUP.  Now yes, I realize DeCastro may need PUP himself.  Makes me wish we would have looked at Turner on a one year deal.

But I think we can all agree on this: if Fish is out, I’d much rather try Nelson at LT for 5 or 6 weeks than put Tevi on an island.  People will get a little larger sample size for Nelson at LT too.  When Fish gets healthy, whomever is playing better between DeCastro/Glow gets the start.  If future injuries happen, you have the versatility of OL lineups.

I really think if we have the cap space, use it.  Wentz will need the time and protection.  Just my thoughts, thanks for reading.

• Haha 1

I don't see a scenario where either Tevi or Davenport doesn't start the season (assuming Fisher isn't ready), with simply some added support (chips, extra RB blocking, or rolling right roll). 

I could see a scenario where one of them starts, gets destroyed by Seattle/Hyder, and they move Nelson temporarily over against the Rams (Donald). But that would flex back likely vs the Titans.

I personally think Q would do fine at LT, but that's just not the direction. I also think Smith could likely make the move, but again, not the direction. But even if I did move Q out, I wouldn't sign a RG to move Glow over. I'd sign a LG or use existing depth (if they are ready). You could also potentially slide Tevi or Davenport inside to LG. Moving Glow and Q would be too much movement for a temp fix.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IndyColtScout said:

Hey everyone! Been a long time since I’ve posted.  But there’s a lot of excitement for this upcoming season.  One thing people have been discussing a lot of the offensive line, especially the situation with Fisher and the first 5 weeks of the season if he is not healthy.

Before I get started, its all a moot point if Fish is just healthy week one.  And it might be a bit of a Madden dream scenario but bear with me because I do think it has merit.

I think we can all agree if Fish is out the first 5 weeks, its gonna be tough with a new QB leading our team.  We need to think about David DeCastro.  You are probably saying well he is a RG how will he help out LT situation.

A lot of people want to see it.  No one really wants it to be permanent because of his fierce nature vs putting him in pass block stances.  But if Fish is not available, we absolutely need to think about signing DeCastro.  Play Glowinkski at LG with Nelson at LT first 6 weeks if we need to put Fish on PUP.  Now yes, I realize DeCastro may need PUP himself.  Makes me wish we would have looked at Turner on a one year deal.

But I think we can all agree on this: if Fish is out, I’d much rather try Nelson at LT for 5 or 6 weeks than put Tevi on an island.  People will get a little larger sample size for Nelson at LT too.  When Fish gets healthy, whomever is playing better between DeCastro/Glow gets the start.  If future injuries happen, you have the versatility of OL lineups.

I really think if we have the cap space, use it.  Wentz will need the time and protection.  Just my thoughts, thanks for reading.

Decastro was cut because he has bone spurs and can't play.   

QN isn't playing LT

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Not a fan of moving Q.   It doesnt just  affect LT and LG.  If Fish isnt ready,  it will be one of the other guys or Ballard may like someone after roster cuts.

I think moving Q to LT is a LAST option.  
  But i’ll accept whatever the team decides.  Its just football afterall.

So, your post was designed to get more protection and help for Carson Wentz.   

The problems with your idea are several.   We likely wont know how long Fisher will be sidelined for until late August or early September.   And at that point, you want to move/replace THREE different players along the OL.

Nelson to LT, Glow to LG, and DeCastro to RG.   And give them maybe a week or two to get ready for the most difficult part of the schedule.   That’s simply not happening.   Zero chance.  

The last two months there’s been a steady drumbeat of stories saying there was no interest in moving Nelson to LT to replace AC.   So, I don’t see them doing it a week or two before the season starts, unless some type of disaster occurs and it’s an emergency.

I think the franchise believes they’ll be able to scheme help for whoever plays LT the first 5-6 weeks.   @EastStreet has it right.  We’ll keep our four starters where they are, and insert either Tevi, Davenport or Holden at LT and give them lots of support. 

I appreciate the thought you put into this, but there doesn’t appear to be the interest to do that much shuffling along the OL.   That would result in less help and protection for Wentz, not more. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I don't see a scenario where either Tevi or Davenport doesn't start the season (assuming Fisher isn't ready), with simply some added support (chips, extra RB blocking, or rolling right roll). 

I could see a scenario where one of them starts, gets destroyed by Seattle/Hyder, and they move Nelson temporarily over against the Rams (Donald). But that would flex back likely vs the Titans.

I personally think Q would do fine at LT, but that's just not the direction. I also think Smith could likely make the move, but again, not the direction. But even if I did move Q out, I wouldn't sign a RG to move Glow over. I'd sign a LG or use existing depth (if they are ready). You could also potentially slide Tevi or Davenport inside to LG. Moving Glow and Q would be too much movement for a temp fix.

To the bolded, I completely agree.

8 hours ago, IndyColtScout said:

Dear God…

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I agree for the most part. The Colts seem to have decided that Q won’t move. But if Fisher isn’t ready by Game 1 and it’s a sieve over there between Tevi/Davenport/Holden, that changes everything. The Colts are not letting Wentz get shelled because they’re too stubborn to move Nelson to left tackle…..though even then, it would only be until Fisher was ready.  But with that possible exception, Q is at LG until he hangs ‘em up in 12 years as the most decorated NFL guard ever. 

• Like 1

It's gonna be a very heavy run set imo for the first few weeks until Fisher is ready. I can see a titan approach to our offense. Runs and play action.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IndyColtScout said:

I double dare you to bring this up to Quentin. Before you do, make sure your health insurance is paid up.

• Haha 1

I’ll speak for most of us, no body want to see Nelson at LT , interior pressure is a lot more crippling that exterior pressure . QB need to be able to step up in pocket to deliver accurate balls. We can survive with tevi if we chip , screen slide protection etc… u don’t want to mess up 3 positions to gamble at 1. One thing you guys our forgetting is tevi or who ever will be playing next to the best interior lineman in the league so he can cover some of there flaws 

8 hours ago, Hoose said:

I agree for the most part. The Colts seem to have decided that Q won’t move. But if Fisher isn’t ready by Game 1 and it’s a sieve over there between Tevi/Davenport/Holden, that changes everything. The Colts are not letting Wentz get shelled because they’re too stubborn to move Nelson to left tackle…..though even then, it would only be until Fisher was ready.  But with that possible exception, Q is at LG until he hangs ‘em up in 12 years as the most decorated NFL guard ever. 

What about Q getting shelled , what happens if he go to LT and struggle and when he switches back to guard the struggles linger , we do not need to move Nelson helping one position is easier scheme wise etc… we know where the weak point is and where teams gonna try to send the pressure so that is a advantage instead of shuffling everything around . Let’s not forget interior pressure cripples a passing game  , no place to step up etc… exterior pressure you can step up , screen etc… and tevi will be playing next to the best interior lineman in the league he will be able to cover of some of his mistakes 

20 hours ago, IndyColtScout said:

It doesn’t make much sense to play someone out of position for a few weeks. Let alone sign someone to have two people play out of position for a few weeks. These guys are very comfortable in their current respective positions, I think that whom ever we line up next to Nelson will play decently enough until Fisher is back in the lineup. After all Nelson is one of the better guards in the league and this offensive line is very formidable.

19 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I agree with to top point roll right , slide protection, screen, chip , double, run , quick passes ….. we are not gonna ask these guys to block  Miles Garrett strait up 1v1 all game play in play out on 5 step drops . I rather have average LT and good/great at the other 4 then average across the whole line after position switches . 

I think fisher will be back by week 3. Just a hunch and nothing to back it up whatsoever. I know people are worried about it but the Colts seem comfortable with this scenario. I dont see them giving up on a tough season before it even begins by signing a future starter. I think they see him healthy early on in the season not later on. 

If they didn't see him healthy early theres no way they go into the season with what we have at LT. Maybe a bit of a gamble? Sure. But if it pays off then its just another brilliant move. 

If both Fisher and Wentz return to form this will go down as one of the best off seasons in the Ballard era. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2021 at 12:18 PM, IndyColtScout said:

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I thought Holden did okay, until he got injured. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him start, over Tevi, until Fischer is ready.

This is my vote as well.

Holden is fine and I would consider the Veldheer guy too.  I know he's retired but he could come out of retirement for the right offer.

35 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I would consider the Veldheer guy too.  I know he's retired but he could come out of retirement for the right offer.

Jared is not an option, at least not to cover for Fisher's absence early in the season.

Veldheer was suspended for six games by the NFL on (May 27th, 2021) for violating the league’s policy against performance enhancing drugs.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/former-packers-ot-veldheer-suspended-retires

On 6/27/2021 at 11:55 PM, Hoose said:

Yup, Q may be a plan C or D, but he'll be part of the plan. And I'm OK with that. My biggest concern frankly is if Fisher is super slow to return, has setbacks, or simply doesn't return to form at all. That would change things in terms of how Q might be factored if Tevi or one of the others isn't up to snuff. I'm just praying Fisher returns fast, and returns to form. We just don't need long term LT issues.

On 6/28/2021 at 8:27 AM, jbaron04 said:

I agree with to top point roll right , slide protection, screen, chip , double, run , quick passes ….. we are not gonna ask these guys to block  Miles Garrett strait up 1v1 all game play in play out on 5 step drops . I rather have average LT and good/great at the other 4 then average across the whole line after position switches . 

Game two is danger zone lol.