Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Players can opt out this year too

csmopar

I think this is disappointing, but not surprising.   The NFL has discovered everything can be monetized.   I don’t see this event as a big money maker, but I think they’d like it to try and not cost the league any money at all. 

Free rooms, cars, other transportation for players getting bused around.  Anything that the NFL might currently be paying they will hope the bidding city will pick up all costs. 

Because this event happens in the dead of winter, I think only cities with a domed stadium stand a chance.   Can New York, Philly, Boston, Chicago or Green Bay host in Feb or March with the cold?   Can Miami, Tampa, J’Ville, Charlotte host with the possible rain/hurricanes?    

If I’m Indy,  I’m stressing the city knows how to run the event like clock work.  Why risk that a new city might need time to get up to speed?

And, as a wise poster here already pointed out, Indy is the ONLY place where all athletic performance on a year to year basis is an apples to apples comparison.   Any other domed stadium will likely have a surface that will be faster or slower but not the same as Indy.   That destroys comparisons on a year to year basis.  That’s not a small thing.  Hopefully teams can help sway the league. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think this is disappointing, but not surprising.   The NFL has discovered everything can be monetized.   I don’t see this event as a big money maker, but I think they’d like it to try and not cost the league any money at all. 

Free rooms, cars, other transportation for players getting bused around.  Anything that the NFL might currently be paying they will hope the bidding city will pick up all costs. 

Because this event happens in the dead of winter, I think only cities with a domed stadium stand a chance.   Can New York, Philly, Boston, Chicago or Green Bay host in Feb or March with the cold?   Can Miami, Tampa, J’Ville, Charlotte host with the possible rain/hurricanes?    

If I’m Indy,  I’m stressing the city knows how to run the event like clock work.  Why risk that a new city might need time to get up to speed?

And, as a wise poster here already pointed out, Indy is the ONLY place where all athletic performance on a year to year basis is an apples to apples comparison.   Any other domed stadium will likely have a surface that will be faster or slower but not the same as Indy.   That destroys comparisons on a year to year basis.  That’s not a small thing.  Hopefully teams can help sway the league. 

I think you picked the wrong thread to post this. 

But anyways. I agree with your points and think it should just stay where it is. 

Plus, the NCAA Headquarters and other stuff is in Indy. Should that be moved, too? 

10 hours ago, ColtsGermany said:

I think you picked the wrong thread to post this. 

But anyways. I agree with your points and think it should just stay where it is. 

Plus, the NCAA Headquarters and other stuff is in Indy. Should that be moved, too? 

Thanks!    Appreciate the heads up!!

And for that, I’ll give myself the coveted……. :facepalm:    and this….  :peek:

Archived