Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is there any information about Malik Hooker?

On 7/13/2021 at 9:37 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nobody threw Deion Sanders way

he was a corner back though and was able to shutdown the other teams best wrs in man coverage.  a free safety in zone coverage doesn't really do that

Hooker never really shut down anyone, they just avoided him personally.  He was still a good player but im not sure he was particularly valuable outside of his first season.  He would need to be on a really specific defense to be worth a high first round pick to me

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Well he wasn’t terrible in C2.  He was ok.  He seemed to get confused s few times and probably yes without the injuries he would have become better with more time in it.   but they are different positions almost.  

hooker wasn’t great again in coming up and tackling but he was good enough.  People,want Sanders and he wasn’t that classic C2 type of player.

so again we will never know for sure but IMO will the dude would have been a consistent PB guy in a C3 based D and would have adjusted to an above average S in  2 based D.

now whether this would have been worth the 15 pick especially in light of some college injury issue is a different debate.

but the kid was pretty darn good when he wasn’t injured.

I'm not an Xs and Os technician, but the problem I saw is when Hooker was back there guarding the deep zone, and doing a good/great job of it by accounts, he was no where in the picture on running plays or even short/intermediate crossing routes.  It seemed like the defense had to defend those plays with 10 players cause Hooker was consistently so far out of any play, even after the tackle/unpiling.  And in the competitive swirl of NFL rosters, there is only so much time given a player to show that he can grow into other things, or not be here.  Show your growth or make way for another player to show his growth.  I assume Ballard saw enough the season before Hooker hurt his achilles that he did not offer him the 5th year.

Now its on to the other guys.  Blackman looks like a better C2 but struggles with what Hooker did well, the deep zone.  Davis is supposed to have deep zone abilities, and we'll see where he goes.  Both of our safeties need to grow into other abilities.  The good news is, if they don't, we've only invested a 3rd and a 5th in each, not a 1st in either.  

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I'm not an Xs and Os technician, but the problem I saw is when Hooker was back there guarding the deep zone, and doing a good/great job of it by accounts, he was no where in the picture on running plays or even short/intermediate crossing routes.  It seemed like the defense had to defend those plays with 10 players cause Hooker was consistently so far out of any play, even after the tackle/unpiling.  And in the competitive swirl of NFL rosters, there is only so much time given a player to show that he can grow into other things, or not be here.  Show your growth or make way for another player to show his growth.  I assume Ballard saw enough the season before Hooker hurt his achilles that he did not offer him the 5th year.

Now its on to the other guys.  Blackman looks like a better C2 but struggles with what Hooker did well, the deep zone.  Davis is supposed to have deep zone abilities, and we'll see where he goes.  Both of our safeties need to grow into other abilities.  The good news is, if they don't, we've only invested a 3rd and a 5th in each, not a 1st in either.  

I hear you man.    Here’s an article that supports the thesis that Hooker was underrated by fans but not opposing defensive coordinators. https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2019--the-year-of-malik-hooker

And actually he showed a lot of improvement in run defense and coverage in 2018 after the ACL.  He was pretty friggin good man, headed toward great as a single high safety.

I know a little about Xs and Os I’m no Expert on it but you can think of a single high ie. cover 3 or 1 (basically man D) and a double high safety C2 kinda like the difference between a 4-3 DE and a 3-4 OLb.  Some guys can play both really well but most guys can’t.

You are correct man.  When you play single high the safety is deep and it’s up to the other 10 guys to play the run for the most part, single high safety Defenses are generally STRONGER against the run because their is only one guy deep and you have some SAM/SS hybrid type of dude closer to, the LOs helping v the run.  In C2, one of the biggest weaknesses is there are 2 guys deep and it’s weaker v the run, so you need at least one if not both  safeties to be really good at coming up and knocking the pizz outta RBs.

so bottom line is you WANT your single high safety to be anonymous.  This would mean two things 1.  They ain’t throwing his way and 2.  The other guys are not making him do their jobs of stopping the run, here is a blurb from the following article about rhat https://www.colts.com/news/malik-hooker-darius-leonard-pro-football-focus-all-clutch-team

C3 defenses are notoriously weak in the deep alleys and Hooker in his limited healthy games showed to be excellent at defending these alleys.

“The job of a free safety can be without glamour and hard to judge at times. If they're doing their job well, the ball isn't going to come their way all that often, leaving them with fewer opportunities to make the splash plays on the ball that bring the recognition. Both Hooker and Boston [Tre Boston] did excellent jobs of both limiting throws into their coverage and making plays on the ball when passes did come their way. Boston was targeted as the primary coverage defender just once in this sample, but he came away with one forced incompletion and one interception anyway. Likewise, Hooker was targeted only four times with two interceptions to his name. It's hard to get much better than that."

but even in 2019 when the D became  more C2 oriented he still graded decently in both coverage and run stoppage.  He got lost a few times but coulda learned better.  My guess is he didn’t like playing out of position either.  But who knows.  

I would guess he’s either not showing well with the Achilles or asking too much given his awful injury history.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nickster said:

I hear you man.    Here’s an article that supports the thesis that Hooker was underrated by fans but not opposing defensive coordinators. https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2019--the-year-of-malik-hooker

And actually he showed a lot of improvement in run defense and coverage in 2018 after the ACL.  He was pretty friggin good man, headed toward great as a single high safety.

I know a little about Xs and Os I’m no Expert on it but you can think of a single high ie. cover 3 or 1 (basically man D) and a double high safety C2 kinda like the difference between a 4-3 DE and a 3-4 OLb.  Some guys can play both really well but most guys can’t.

You are correct man.  When you play single high the safety is deep and it’s up to the other 10 guys to play the run for the most part, single high safety Defenses are generally STRONGER against the run because their is only one guy deep and you have some SAM/SS hybrid type of dude closer to, the LOs helping v the run.  In C2, one of the biggest weaknesses is there are 2 guys deep and it’s weaker v the run, so you need at least one if not both  safeties to be really good at coming up and knocking the pizz outta RBs.

so bottom line is you WANT your single high safety to be anonymous.  This would mean two things 1.  They ain’t throwing his way and 2.  The other guys are not making him do their jobs of stopping the run, here is a blurb from the following article about rhat https://www.colts.com/news/malik-hooker-darius-leonard-pro-football-focus-all-clutch-team

C3 defenses are notoriously weak in the deep alleys and Hooker in his limited healthy games showed to be excellent at defending these alleys.

“The job of a free safety can be without glamour and hard to judge at times. If they're doing their job well, the ball isn't going to come their way all that often, leaving them with fewer opportunities to make the splash plays on the ball that bring the recognition. Both Hooker and Boston [Tre Boston] did excellent jobs of both limiting throws into their coverage and making plays on the ball when passes did come their way. Boston was targeted as the primary coverage defender just once in this sample, but he came away with one forced incompletion and one interception anyway. Likewise, Hooker was targeted only four times with two interceptions to his name. It's hard to get much better than that."

but even in 2019 when the D became  more C2 oriented he still graded decently in both coverage and run stoppage.  He got lost a few times but coulda learned better.  My guess is he didn’t like playing out of position either.  But who knows.  

I would guess he’s either not showing well with the Achilles or asking too much given his awful injury history.

I wont respond to all of this.

The C3 safety has to cover both sides, and can get run out of the play.  Hooker may have recognized the alleys well, and who the deep receiver was based upon lineup and coverage and could shade that way presnap, but maybe he wasn't quick enough to recognize when that guy wasn't getting the ball and got run out of the play more than another FS might.   Great at guarding the deep ball because that's what he focused on, maybe exclusively.

The Achilles happened after Ballard had already declined the 5th year option.  And if the history of the knee injury kept Ballard from wanting to execute the 5th year, then Ballard would not have drafted Blackmon.  And Ballard drafted Davis in the 5th, who supposedly has deep ball skills.   To me, all things point to Ballard intending to move on from Hooker, and the injuries having limited influence.  Although I'm sure the Achilles was the nail in the coffin.  

At this point, he'd probably wouldn't even sign Hooker to vet minimum.  Wanting the roster spot saved for Davis who might show growth.

10 hours ago, DougDew said:

I wont respond to all of this.

The C3 safety has to cover both sides, and can get run out of the play.  Hooker may have recognized the alleys well, and who the deep receiver was based upon lineup and coverage and could shade that way presnap, but maybe he wasn't quick enough to recognize when that guy wasn't getting the ball and got run out of the play more than another FS might.   Great at guarding the deep ball because that's what he focused on, maybe exclusively.

The Achilles happened after Ballard had already declined the 5th year option.  And if the history of the knee injury kept Ballard from wanting to execute the 5th year, then Ballard would not have drafted Blackmon.  And Ballard drafted Davis in the 5th, who supposedly has deep ball skills.   To me, all things point to Ballard intending to move on from Hooker, and the injuries having limited influence.  Although I'm sure the Achilles was the nail in the coffin.  

At this point, he'd probably wouldn't even sign Hooker to vet minimum.  Wanting the roster spot saved for Davis who might show growth.

They weren’t sure about him playing 2 high and werent going to pay him with his injury history.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2021 at 6:23 PM, MPStack said:

Never ever waste a top 15 pick on a safety, especially when you have so many other needs. 

I disagree personally, I think safety has become one of the hardest positions to play on defense and we were desperate for a playmaker like he looked like to be in college. Not arguing he was the right pick personally or safety was the right pick for us, just saying safety is indeed an crucial position 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rayski said:

I disagree personally, I think safety has become one of the hardest positions to play on defense and we were desperate for a playmaker like he looked like to be in college. Not arguing he was the right pick personally or safety was the right pick for us, just saying safety is indeed an crucial position 

IMO, it compares to taking a RB with a high draft selection. You only do it, when all other positions on the roster are more than adequate. Quality RB’s and Safeties can be found outside of round #1. 

If, a safety is the best player on your defense, that doesn’t sound great IMO. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MPStack said:

IMO, it compares to taking a RB with a high draft selection. You only do it, when all other positions on the roster are more than adequate. Quality RB’s and Safeties can be found outside of round #1. 

If, a safety is the best player on your defense, that doesn’t sound great IMO. 

Marlon Humphrey (CB, Alabama), TreDavious White (CB, LSU), T.J.Watt (good fit for Pagano's 3-4 then, Wisconsin) were all players available and drafted after Malik Hooker in Round 1. More impact positions in the current NFL than safety, even back then in 2017, IMO. I'd have been very happy with Marlon Humphrey, given Saban's record of coaching DBs.

The lame duck situation with Pagano did mess that draft up, IMO.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Marlon Humphrey (CB, Alabama), TreDavious White (CB, LSU), T.J.Watt (good fit for Pagano's 3-4 then, Wisconsin) were all players available and drafted after Malik Hooker in Round 1. More impact positions in the current NFL than safety, even back then in 2017, IMO. I'd have been very happy with Marlon Humphrey, given Saban's record of coaching DBs.

The lame duck situation with Pagano did mess that draft up, IMO.

I won’t go down that rabbit hole again, because there were better options than a Safety at 15. 

Water under the Bridge.