Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is there any information about Malik Hooker?

Malik Hooker will still have utility in certain game situations and like Marlon Mack, I expect that he will come back for a 1 year deal back with the Colts, though Mack was more certain about it because he wanted to showcase his talents with a good OL.

Snippet from this article published a week ago:

Injuries are certainly a reason teams have not rushed to sign him. Money is also a factor. NFL GMs are not going to pay a high asking price for a guy who has played in barely half of his team’s games in his career. [We] reached out to a source in one NFL front office who put it this way,

“Malik needs to get realistic about his value. He didn’t just forget how to ball. His body is wrecked. [The Colts] would not have released him if he was physically ready. But he still wants to be paid like the guy he was before his first injury. Every team whose had interest had their doctors involved. So it’s a thing where teams have told his [agent] to give them a call when [Hooker] is going to be serious about his value.”

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Malik Hooker is worth over $10 million  :woah:. .... so I think he can afford to go unemployed for a little bit more lol...... major props to him.

https://playerswiki.com/malik-hooker

I never believe these celebrity net worth figures.   The only way Hooker could be worth $10 mill is if he never was taxed either by the Feds or States, never paid his agent, and never bought a house or a car.   

Hooker made roughly $10-12 mill in his four years with the Colts.   And that’s before he spent a dime.  

These sites are just click bait, whether they’re for athletes, entertainers, actors, models, or other celebrities  — you name it.   

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I never believe these celebrity net worth figures.   The only way Hooker could be worth $10 mill is if he never was taxed either by the Feds or States, never paid his agent, and never bought a house or a car.   

Hooker made roughly $10-12 mill in his four years with the Colts.   And that’s before he spent a dime.  

These sites are just click bait, whether they’re for athletes, entertainers, actors, models, or other celebrities  — you name it.   

I agree. I get on youtube a lot and I have seen examples of celebrities that complain about a 1 thousand dollar dinner check. These are celebrities that have been said to be worth 100 Mill dollars. I am like what is 1000 dollars to them. I remember when Tiger Woods flipped out over someone taking 2000 dollars from him like it was the end of the world and the dude is basically a billionaire. He wanted the guy to be prosecuted even. You shouldn't take 1 dollar from anyone so it is principle but damn! It makes me wonder sometimes how much money these people really have.

On 6/30/2021 at 7:12 PM, NewColtsFan said:

If I had to guess , I would say you are correct , but what you have is pretty "incomplete." So take  6% out for his agent. He received around 7.2 mill in a signing bonus. Combine with the 350K first year salary minus 6% for agent and he has around 7 million to invest. If he put 3 mill in the stock market , it would be worth around 5 mill today. So that would bring his total to around 17 mill. Take 45% for taxes and agent salary and that leaves him around 9.3 mill. Subtract from that say 800K (200K per year)to live. Leaves him with around 8.5 mill plus endorsements. 

On 6/30/2021 at 10:12 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I Disagree. If it's on the internet it must be true....haha

On 7/1/2021 at 12:05 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree. I get on youtube a lot and I have seen examples of celebrities that complain about a 1 thousand dollar dinner check. These are celebrities that have been said to be worth 100 Mill dollars. I am like what is 1000 dollars to them. I remember when Tiger Woods flipped out over someone taking 2000 dollars from him like it was the end of the world and the dude is basically a billionaire. He wanted the guy to be prosecuted even. You shouldn't take 1 dollar from anyone so it is principle but damn! It makes me wonder sometimes how much money these people really have.

Tiger Woods is known outside of media to be a arrogant Bad Dude and cheap with his housekeepers etc...

But Matt Kuchar really showed how cheap he is when he stiffed his fill in caddy.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/40587901

He must have slowed from his injury or his demands are out of this world. Or, and this is a possibility, he's a head case that's a cancer in the locker room. Something, because he wasn't that bad to not get a sniff, much less has already signed.

I never heard he was a head case, and I doubt that's the reason he's not under contract. Hooker has talent; he's been constantly banged up though, and you have to believe its taken its toll. Like so many before him, he may not have a body that can hold up to the physical beating that takes place in the NFL. 

On 6/27/2021 at 10:23 AM, MPStack said:

Never ever waste a top 15 pick on a safety, especially when you have so many other needs. 

Well, when the pic is made, it's not known that it is "wasted". It may be argueable that a "failure" at #15 being a safety stings more than other positions........but, a game changing safety can elevate your defense. 

It was also said by many that one should never take a OG at #6, let alone at #3. As evidenced, if the pick works well, it can be a home run. Personally, I find the positional value arguments to be a chuckler. Every team is made up of draft picks that are both overdrafted, and underdrafted .....and FA's that are both underpaid, and overpaid.

The trick is finding success in the locker room where guys are willing to give it up for each other. 

17 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Well, when the pic is made, it's not known that it is "wasted". It may be argueable that a "failure" at #15 being a safety stings more than other positions........but, a game changing safety can elevate your defense. 

It was also said by many that one should never take a OG at #6, let alone at #3. As evidenced, if the pick works well, it can be a home run. Personally, I find the positional value arguments to be a chuckler. Every team is made up of draft picks that are both overdrafted, and underdrafted .....and FA's that are both underpaid, and overpaid.

The trick is finding success in the locker room where guys are willing to give it up for each other. 

I wouldnt take a safety that high either, or at least not one like Hooker.  He plays too far off the los to go that high imo, teams just avoided throwing in his area and he didnt make many tangible plays 

He also didn't have a lot of experience either 

On 7/9/2021 at 10:50 AM, BlackTiger said:

I wouldnt take a safety that high either, or at least not one like Hooker.  He plays too far off the los to go that high imo, teams just avoided throwing in his area and he didnt make many tangible plays 

He also didn't have a lot of experience either 

Uhh, this is a good thing.  

He’s more of a C3, C1 type of guy.

he was really, really good for about a couple of half seasons, and was less effective in the C2 based d we play now.

Im guessing his Achilles recovery isn’t going well.

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

Uhh, this is a good thing.  

It can be a good thing, id like to see more tangible plays from someone drafted that high.  Its not like hooker was shutting down the top receivers every week, they just didnt throw in his area very often 

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

It can be a good thing, id like to see more tangible plays from someone drafted that high.  Its not like hooker was shutting down the top receivers every week, they just didnt throw in his area very often 

Well dude no offense but how can a deep safety make plays on balls that aren’t thrown his way?  If you are talking about Bob Sanders type play that is a different position or a different scheme.

if your deep coverage safety is anonymous, he’s doing his job man.  

Now whether or not he should be a 15th pick is a different story.

When Hooker played single high he was excellent.  When we switched to C2 based concepts, he was decent, but definitely not that type of player.

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

Well dude no offense but how can a deep safety make plays on balls that aren’t thrown his way?

That is why I wouldn't draft him that high.

Teams avoided him and made completions elsewhere.  He didn't really shut down the top options on the other team, they just avoided hooker

On 7/11/2021 at 2:19 PM, BlackTiger said:

That is why I wouldn't draft him that high.

Teams avoided him and made completions elsewhere.  He didn't really shut down the top options on the other team, they just avoided hooker

So when QBs wouldnt throw at Darell Revis was it bc he was shutting down the receiver or “just avoided Revis”?  Asking for Nickster bc I don’t think he understands. :thmup:

11 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

So when QBs wouldnt throw at Darell Revis was it bc he was shutting down the receiver or “just avoided Revis”?  Asking for Nickster bc I don’t think he understands. :thmup:

Huh?  Is there difference?

14 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

So when QBs wouldnt throw at Darell Revis was it bc he was shutting down the receiver or “just avoided Revis”?

He was a man coverage corner back that would shut down the opposing teams top receiver, hooker didnt do that.  our pass defense wasnt even that good when he was here.  They just avoided his zone and made completions elsewhere

He was ok but i dont value what he did enough to take him at 15

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

Huh?  Is there difference?

there is since you asked.  A man coverage corner back shutting down a top receiver is different than a free safety sitting in a deep zone

When an offense avoids Revis they are avoiding their own best receiver too, when they avoid hooker there may not even be anyone in the area 

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

HE was a man coverage corner back that would shut down the opposing teams top receiver, hooker didnt do that.  our pass defense wasnt even that good when he was here.  They just avoided his zone and made completions elsewhere

I guess the point is if an offense is avoiding a defender there is merit to thinking its bc he is a capable player. Hooker was solid but obviously not first round quality. I think it was a combination of scheme and injuries....probably more bc of injury. 

Malik Hooker would've been a good player had it not been for his injury. When you avoid throwing someone's way you fear them is my take. You throw in other area's where there are weaker players. Nobody threw Deion Sanders way, reason was he was great and feared. I remember when we drafted hooker, I would say around 75% in here loved the pick and couldn't believe that he fell to 15th. People went on and on about him saying he was going to be great. Hindsight is a funny thing.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Malik Hooker would've been a good player had it not been for his injury. When you avoid throwing someone's way you fear them is my take. You throw in other area's where there are weaker players. Nobody threw Deion Sanders way, reason was he was great and feared. I remember when we drafted hooker, I would say around 75% in here loved the pick and couldn't believe that he fell to 15th. People went on and on about him saying he was going to be great. Hindsight is a funny thing.

Maybe unpopular opinion - Malik Hooker was better player for the entirety of his Colts career(this includes the last

'bad' part of it) than anything we've seen from any of the other Colts safeties on the roster now. And this is with him being put in a situation that didn't fit him well, didn't utilize his best attributes and after series of bad injuries. 

Now, here follows the caveat - those safeties on our roster now are young and can take steps forward. 

I've always held to the opinion that the problem with Hooker was not his play but his availability and injuries. He was a good player for us whenever he played. 

When our underneath coverage is so poor, especially on crossing routes, there was no reason for Qbs to throw into Hookers deep zone.  Its not accurate to say that QBs "avoided" him because he was so good.  It could be that the other DBs and LBs were so bad, and they were/are.  Hooker may have been the best or one of the best players on a poor coverage unit, but that's not the same thing as being a great player.

Vontae in his prime was that kind of a player.  Hooker never was nor would he have been. 

He got burnt deep plenty of times when he was asked to try to do other things than strictly guard against the deep pass. 

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

When our underneath coverage is so poor, especially on crossing routes, there was no reason for Qbs to throw into Hookers deep zone.  Its not accurate to say that QBs "avoided" him because he was so good.  It could be that the other DBs and LBs were so bad, and they were/are.  Hooker may have been the best or one of the best players on a poor coverage unit, but that's not the same thing as being a great player.

Vontae in his prime was that kind of a player.  Hooker never was nor would he have been. 

He got burnt deep plenty of times when he was asked to try to do other things than strictly guard against the deep pass. 

He definitely had some issue in C2 in 2019, but he rarely if ever got beat deep in 2018.  

vontae was a corner man.  A FS in C3 is nothing like a corner.  Like at all.

but like the wise man says availability is the best ability.

42 minutes ago, Nickster said:

He definitely had some issue in C2 in 2019, but he rarely if ever got beat deep in 2018.  

vontae was a corner man.  A FS in C3 is nothing like a corner.  Like at all.

but like the wise man says availability is the best ability.

There are great players at every position in the NFL.  The comparison to VD comes from the context that the QB would avoid throwing Hookers way because hooker was so good.  Uh...no.  Its because every other player was so bad.  Other than Bob Sanders, VD was the only secondary player the Colts have had that the other QBs really cared about, IMO.

How good Hooker was or could have been is subject to interpretation, since no critical mass of facts add up to much conclusion either way.

I contend that he lacked the mental "it" factor in being able to pick up the NFL game beyond the deep centerfield stuff he did in college and a short time here.  His knee/achillies has nothing to do with the lack of mental "it"

@NewColtsFanand @Nickster.

I was simply saying that if player X can only play C3 well, and a defense only plays C3 45% of the time, what is his value 55% of the time?

Do you bench him when not in C3, then install him to play C3.  Well, the offense would immediately know what coverage we would be in when Hooker was in the game. 

Only being able to play C3, even if he's the best at it, makes him a fairly useless NFL commodity. 

Did the knee and achilles prevent him from growing beyond guarding the deep zone, I don't think so.  Others may feel differently. 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

@NewColtsFanand @Nickster.

I was simply saying that if player X can only play C3 well, and a defense only plays C3 45% of the time, what is his value 55% of the time?

Do you bench him when not in C3, then install him to play C3.  Well, the offense would immediately know what coverage we would be in when Hooker was in the game. 

Only being able to play C3, even if he's the best at it, makes him a fairly useless NFL commodity. 

Did the knee and achilles prevent him from growing beyond guarding the deep zone, I don't think so.  Others may feel differently. 

Well he wasn’t terrible in C2.  He was ok.  He seemed to get confused s few times and probably yes without the injuries he would have become better with more time in it.   but they are different positions almost.  

hooker wasn’t great again in coming up and tackling but he was good enough.  People,want Sanders and he wasn’t that classic C2 type of player.

so again we will never know for sure but IMO will the dude would have been a consistent PB guy in a C3 based D and would have adjusted to an above average S in  2 based D.

now whether this would have been worth the 15 pick especially in light of some college injury issue is a different debate.

but the kid was pretty darn good when he wasn’t injured.

Archived