Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top 3 Position of need for 2022


CR91
 Share

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The question might be better framed around "confidence".

 

If I had to rank my 2022 confidence from lowest to....

 

1. MIKE - performed mediocre in 2020, will be taking a bigger role in 2021

2. LT - nobody under contract in 22, coming back from injury, 30 years old

3. CB1 - nobody under contract in 22, 31 years old, CB2 struggled in 2020 so him taking over CB1 is questionable. 

4. WR1 - aged and has history of health issues. Heir apparent candidates are rook X (Xs are not frequently WR1s), and the primary candidate for replacement has been injured every year.

5. FS - rook that struggled mightily in coverage after teams got film

6. DE - Turay is an injury vs flash guy at this point, Dayo is a injured rook projection, and Lewis is stepping into a starting role as a tweener.

7. QB - we're pretty much committed for 2 years, so probably doesn't matter for 22

 

This all assumes we re-sign WILL, RT, and LG to extensions. LG already has 5th year exercised.   

 

That's fine as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

  We have good talent and prospect depth now at all positions but outside CB for 22.
 I say that because right now it is the position that has me rather concerned for 21.
 
 You can't project that we Won't resign any of our best players.
  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/19/2021 at 10:59 PM, CR91 said:

 

Rivers was reliable, but I wouldn't exact say he set the bar high. Imo, if we can't get better production from Wentz then we're in trouble.

 

I don't think they will be in trouble, but it won't be ideal for advancing to the next step. They scored more points per game and points per drive WITH Rivers than they did with Luck. From a scoring standpoint, it's a very high bar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just hope Paye can be as good as we hope he is...and that Dayo can come back from the torn Achilles so we can check DE off for a year or two.

 

Here are my needs (with what we know). I am going to be optimistic and leave Wentz off this list...because that would be a game-changer. But I think Wentz will at least get two years (barring some really bad injury) so QB won't be an immediate need in this scenario:

 

LT - If Fisher bounces back, I have little doubt they will extend him to lock down LT for a couple more seasons, especially since they likely don't have a 1st round pick next year. But we don't know if he can yet, so it's a question mark. If he comes back healthy and performing at a high level, LT would move way down the list. 

 

CB - Rhodes had a great bounceback season, but he will be another year older. After that, either Rock has to take a big leap forward OR one of Tell or Rodgers shows they can lock down a boundary CB position. There's a scenario where the Colts need TWO CBs next offseason, so it's definitely in the top 2.

 

WR - I believe they already need a WR1. But regardless, there are definitely questions about the current group. By next season, we will know a lot more, but I just don't see a scenario where WR isn't a top 3 need next offseason.

 

MLB - The perception around Oke is interesting. He wasn't very good last year. IMO, after last season, he will need to take a BIG step forward to show Ballard and the coaching staff that they can commit to him. Oherwise, they will want to get a new MIKE in to compete and develop (much like they did when they drafted Oke despite Walker being the MIKE).

 

TE - Rumors are that Doyle will retire. MAC will be a 29 year-old UFA. They could bring him back, but I think they will look to go in a different direction as they try to create an Ertz/Burton level duo.

 

Ballard will have his work cut out for him, especially after paying Nelson, Smith and Leonard.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/19/2021 at 9:06 PM, EastStreet said:

Way too early to start this chatter. We don't even know how this year's draft class or new FAs will play. Fisher is on a one year deal and recovering from a major injury. If he doesn't work out, LT could easily be the #1 need. Resigning him could also be a huge expense. Glow is a FA. Hines and Wilkins will be FAs. Hilton and Pascal will be FAs. Lewis and Turay are FAs, and Dayo is a rook coming in off of a major injury, so DE isn't "solved" for yet IMO.

 

If we're just talking singular positions, I have the least confidence in MIKE.

I can see Fisher playing for a few more years as long as he’s healthy

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, shasta519 said:

 

I don't think they will be in trouble, but it won't be ideal for advancing to the next step. They scored more points per game and points per drive WITH Rivers than they did with Luck. From a scoring standpoint, it's a very high bar.

 

Hard to really compare. The 2018 team didn't really start clicking til week 7

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

Hard to really compare. The 2018 team didn't really start clicking til week 7

 

True. But it was really more like the first 3 weeks. By the HOU game, they were putting up points.

 

There was definitely a ramping up period with Rivers as well. So we can't assume that they start clicking with Wentz right away either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/19/2021 at 5:51 PM, CR91 said:

Keep in mind, I am projecting here how I see our needs will be broken down after the season.

 

3. LBer

 

This will depend on Okereke proving me wrong, but I just don't see a talented group outside of Leonard and I expect it to be an issue going into the season. You pull the sheet after Leonard and Okereke and you have a lot of inexperience. Sure Franklin, Adam, and Speed are great on STs, however when it comes to playing defense it's a lot of unknown.

 

2. WR

 

Keep in mind, we are asking a second year WR to basically take the reins this year as Hilton while I believe still has gas in the tank, we are slowly moving away from T.Y and that was evident towards the end of the season when Pascal and Pitt were out-snapping him. Campbell is the biggest question mark, but unless we see tremendous growth in Pittman, Campbell, and Pascal as the go-to WR corp of the future, we could be looking for our WR1 once again next season.

 

1. CB

 

This is the biggest weakness imo going into the season. Granted, we were able to bring back Rhodes and Carrie, but they are in their thirties so their not the future. Rock, Tell, and Rodgers are gonna be the biggest tell, but as it stands for me I can see us looking to make a major upgrade in the position next season.

 

I'll start by saying you could be 100 percent right.    A year from now we might all be talking about how spot on this post was.

 

But let's look at your three predictions.

 

3.   LB.    Look at what the Colts front office did the entire off-season regarding the position.    Almost nothing.

They let Walker walk out the door on a not very expensive contract ($3.5m) with Cleveland.    They didn't sign any solid FA LB during that window.    Didn't draft a LB.   And only signed Malik Jefferson off the street about a month ago.    Translation:  the Colts front office and coaches are confident with that we have on the roster right now.   You may not like the LBers beyond Leonard and Okereke,  but this team sure does.    Could they be wrong?    Sure.   But their track record says they know what they're doing.   Plus,  we simply don't play much with 3 LBers on the field at the same time.

 

2.   WR.    You make it sound like asking more of a 2nd year player is a big deal.   It's when most rookies make their biggest jump.   So, Pittman should emerge as a breakout talent this year.   At least twice this off-season, Ballard has said he thinks Pittman is going to be great.   And Ballard typically does not talk about players like that.  We should also get a big bump from Campbell who flashed in Wk #1 last year.  Al he needs is health.   Beyond the big four, there is promise in the young guys,  but the young guys likely won't be the key players this year.    The Big 4 should carry this team.

 

1.   CB.    There should be a bounce back year from Rock.   We should see much more from Tell and Rogers.   And the other three of Rhodes,  Moore and Carrie should be solid again this year.    Again,  it's what we didn't do that should tell you what our front office and coaching staff thinks of our group.   We didn't reach for other FA's.    We didn't draft anyone.    I'm already on record as saying CB is a high consideration next year.    And if it turns out to be our top consideration,  then I'm perfectly fine.

 

We've got the promise of youth.   Young guys get better in year 2 and 3 and so on.   Everyone is betting this season on lots of promising young talent.   The staff has faith in these guys.    I hope you'll start to show some faith in them as well.   

 

 

The Salary Cap is $182.5.    That's what most teams are bumping up against.   Next year,  I think the projected number is $203.2    A good but not great bump.   That's where our extension money for our '18 draft class will be going, plus hopefully another year or so from Fisher.    

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regardless of what happens this season I’ve gotta believe that CB is up at the top of the list. 
 

If Fisher is just spare parts after the injury maybe LT jumps it on the list, but that’s TBD. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/19/2021 at 8:51 PM, CR91 said:

Keep in mind, I am projecting here how I see our needs will be broken down after the season.

 

3. LBer

 

This will depend on Okereke proving me wrong, but I just don't see a talented group outside of Leonard and I expect it to be an issue going into the season. You pull the sheet after Leonard and Okereke and you have a lot of inexperience. Sure Franklin, Adam, and Speed are great on STs, however when it comes to playing defense it's a lot of unknown.

 

2. WR

 

Keep in mind, we are asking a second year WR to basically take the reins this year as Hilton while I believe still has gas in the tank, we are slowly moving away from T.Y and that was evident towards the end of the season when Pascal and Pitt were out-snapping him. Campbell is the biggest question mark, but unless we see tremendous growth in Pittman, Campbell, and Pascal as the go-to WR corp of the future, we could be looking for our WR1 once again next season.

 

1. CB

 

This is the biggest weakness imo going into the season. Granted, we were able to bring back Rhodes and Carrie, but they are in their thirties so their not the future. Rock, Tell, and Rodgers are gonna be the biggest tell, but as it stands for me I can see us looking to make a major upgrade in the position next season.


For me looking at the current roster I’m going to say.

 

LT we don’t know how Fisher will pan out.

 

CB outside of Moore and Xavier who is aging we have a bunch of journey men 

 

WR Hilton will likely be on the out soon, Paris is to often injured jury is still out there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would say that LT is something important to watch because it could be an issue in 22. That being said, I think CB is the #1 position we look at in 22 as of right now. This is still premature but I am hoping we have a great year regardless. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I would say that LT is something important to watch because it could be an issue in 22. That being said, I think CB is the #1 position we look at in 22 as of right now. This is still premature but I am hoping we have a great year regardless. 

 

LT could be an issue in 21.  So could DE.  As everyone has said, it's too early to know.

 

  I liked @CR91 post, it gets us talking and thinking.  

 

Probably 90% of the teams have similar questions.  I feel ours are less pressing.  Ballard has done a really good job of making sure the depth isn't a huge drop off from the starter.  With a 17 game schedule, that's extremely important.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/21/2021 at 11:16 AM, shasta519 said:

I just hope Paye can be as good as we hope he is...and that Dayo can come back from the torn Achilles so we can check DE off for a year or two.

 

Here are my needs (with what we know). I am going to be optimistic and leave Wentz off this list...because that would be a game-changer. But I think Wentz will at least get two years (barring some really bad injury) so QB won't be an immediate need in this scenario:

 

LT - If Fisher bounces back, I have little doubt they will extend him to lock down LT for a couple more seasons, especially since they likely don't have a 1st round pick next year. But we don't know if he can yet, so it's a question mark. If he comes back healthy and performing at a high level, LT would move way down the list. 

 

CB - Rhodes had a great bounceback season, but he will be another year older. After that, either Rock has to take a big leap forward OR one of Tell or Rodgers shows they can lock down a boundary CB position. There's a scenario where the Colts need TWO CBs next offseason, so it's definitely in the top 2.

 

WR - I believe they already need a WR1. But regardless, there are definitely questions about the current group. By next season, we will know a lot more, but I just don't see a scenario where WR isn't a top 3 need next offseason.

 

MLB - The perception around Oke is interesting. He wasn't very good last year. IMO, after last season, he will need to take a BIG step forward to show Ballard and the coaching staff that they can commit to him. Oherwise, they will want to get a new MIKE in to compete and develop (much like they did when they drafted Oke despite Walker being the MIKE).

 

TE - Rumors are that Doyle will retire. MAC will be a 29 year-old UFA. They could bring him back, but I think they will look to go in a different direction as they try to create an Ertz/Burton level duo.

 

Ballard will have his work cut out for him, especially after paying Nelson, Smith and Leonard.

 

 

Assuming Fisher pans out, LT is less critical. If he doesn’t, this will be a festering problem that may not get resolved until the ‘23 draft ( no first rounder in ‘22). Fisher determines the level of the need. 
Again, assuming Fisher takes ownership  of LT, the top 2 positions of concern are CB and TE. 
The pros and cons of the Colts’ CB corps have been effectively hashed out in this thread already.

However, TE has not. Let’s assume a couple of points for discussion’s sake  :   1) that Doyle retires;

2) that MAC is retained, but is still a #2 TE; 

3) that Granson shows genuine promise as a receiver but has a long way to go as a blocker.

That leaves the cupboard pretty bare. 
A young, top notch TE would do wonders for this team. They’re going to need a #1 guy. It’s time to properly invest in the position, and given the likely tight cap situation after all the extensions are meted out, that investment will need to come from the draft. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Assuming Fisher pans out, LT is less critical. If he doesn’t, this will might be a festering problem that may not get resolved until the ‘23 draft ( no first rounder in ‘22). Fisher & Tevi determine the level of the need. 

Sorry bro, had to edit......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/21/2021 at 1:07 PM, NewColtsFan said:

 

I'll start by saying you could be 100 percent right.    A year from now we might all be talking about how spot on this post was.

 

But let's look at your three predictions.

 

3.   LB.    Look at what the Colts front office did the entire off-season regarding the position.    Almost nothing.

They let Walker walk out the door on a not very expensive contract ($3.5m) with Cleveland.    They didn't sign any solid FA LB during that window.    Didn't draft a LB.   And only signed Malik Jefferson off the street about a month ago.    Translation:  the Colts front office and coaches are confident with that we have on the roster right now.   You may not like the LBers beyond Leonard and Okereke,  but this team sure does.    Could they be wrong?    Sure.   But their track record says they know what they're doing.   Plus,  we simply don't play much with 3 LBers on the field at the same time.

 

2.   WR.    You make it sound like asking more of a 2nd year player is a big deal.   It's when most rookies make their biggest jump.   So, Pittman should emerge as a breakout talent this year.   At least twice this off-season, Ballard has said he thinks Pittman is going to be great.   And Ballard typically does not talk about players like that.  We should also get a big bump from Campbell who flashed in Wk #1 last year.  Al he needs is health.   Beyond the big four, there is promise in the young guys,  but the young guys likely won't be the key players this year.    The Big 4 should carry this team.

 

1.   CB.    There should be a bounce back year from Rock.   We should see much more from Tell and Rogers.   And the other three of Rhodes,  Moore and Carrie should be solid again this year.    Again,  it's what we didn't do that should tell you what our front office and coaching staff thinks of our group.   We didn't reach for other FA's.    We didn't draft anyone.    I'm already on record as saying CB is a high consideration next year.    And if it turns out to be our top consideration,  then I'm perfectly fine.

 

We've got the promise of youth.   Young guys get better in year 2 and 3 and so on.   Everyone is betting this season on lots of promising young talent.   The staff has faith in these guys.    I hope you'll start to show some faith in them as well.   

 

 

The Salary Cap is $182.5.    That's what most teams are bumping up against.   Next year,  I think the projected number is $203.2    A good but not great bump.   That's where our extension money for our '18 draft class will be going, plus hopefully another year or so from Fisher.    

 

I'm just looking at the three positions I feel will become in issue as we go through the season. 

 

Yes we don't play a lot of three LBers which is why it's third on the list. I just feel handing the job to Okereke who imo is not overly impressive could become an issue along with no proven depth.

 

WR is more the inexperience and how much pressure we're basically putting on Pittman to be the guy going forward while not adding any new weapons incase he's not ready.

 

I have nothing against Rhodes. I think he played very good last year. However, it's another one year deal and another year he's getting into his thirties. Rock, Tell, and Rodgers could develop, but at this point I just feel it's the weakest position.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/21/2021 at 12:47 PM, shasta519 said:

 

True. But it was really more like the first 3 weeks. By the HOU game, they were putting up points.

 

There was definitely a ramping up period with Rivers as well. So we can't assume that they start clicking with Wentz right away either. 

 

I don't think the offense will really change in terms of tempo just because it's Wentz now. I still see us leaning on Taylor and Mack a lot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It isn’t that hard.

 

A thread like this is made every year.  And people’s projections are not that far off. 

 

 

If i sat here and and guess-listed 5 positions, sure the needs may be there.

 

However, lets say Parris Campbell becomes a superstar WR, and Pittman becomes Mike Evans 2.0, then WR isnt a need?

 

Let's say Sin becomes a shut down corner, is CB  a need? 

 

I mean cmon.. it's a guessing game. To say that it is easy is true, because all you gotta do is guess

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s way to early to know what we will need. Everyone can say corner but let’s say Tell or Rodgers plays well this year and Rock finally has a great consistant year. It might not be needed. We might have the Rhodes replacement in Tell or Rodgers. DE might not even be a nerd. If Paye looks great and Turay and Lewis have solid years we may be good to go. Then we will have Dayo at full go next season. If all these things happen we might not have any needs.  Even WR might turn out ok. Pittman progressives and Campbell stays healthy we are good. Just need to find a way to bring Pascal back and either find a TY replacement OT bring him back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

 

 

If i sat here and and guess-listed 5 positions, sure the needs may be there.

 

However, lets say Parris Campbell becomes a superstar WR, and Pittman becomes Mike Evans 2.0, then WR isnt a need?

 

Let's say Sin becomes a shut down corner, is CB  a need? 

 

I mean cmon.. it's a guessing game. To say that it is easy is true, because all you gotta do is guess

So guess, or don’t guess.   Your choice.   But people like doing this.   Always have.   This is not new. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

So guess, or don’t guess.   Your choice.   But people like doing this.   Always have.   This is not new. 

I never said people shouldn't like doing it.

 

I just said that it's a guess. Relax, don't be so offended. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I have been watching the NFL for almost 5 decades. The amount of years that my team wasn't pressed for depth in the secondary by the end of the season........I believe I can count on one hand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

I never said people shouldn't like doing it.

 

I just said that it's a guess. Relax, don't be so offended. 

I’m hardly offended.

 

I’m only responding to your original post that made it seem like a silly exercise to do this. 
 

That’s it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In order of importance and with a glass half empty approach, my list would be:

 

LT - Fisher doesn't get back to his best form, our replacements become expendables and we are swinging at it again. Like I said, glass half empty. I could do that with Wentz too but a swing and a miss on the Wentz front will put all other needs to shame.

RB - With extensions to Nelson, Leonard, and Smith, if Hines wants too much money (very likely) and Mack leaves after showcasing a good year, this becomes a MUST for a team that likes to control tempo running the ball without indulging in shootouts, elevates the draft priority here.

TE/WR - This one, sitting right now, Doyle or MAC (likely not Branson either) are not game changers at that position, IMO, to just get by. TY is probably retiring next year, and if Parris doesn't take the next step, we are in line for a Day 2 draft pick with TE or WR, IMO.

 

The rest, I think Ballard will keep re-inforcing depth with FA signings / draft picks and we will be competitive to build on what we have. I don't see them as huge issues while competing against the likes of the Chiefs, Bills, Titans that we have to get past to even get to a SB.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

In order of importance and with a glass half empty approach, my list would be:

 

LT - Fisher doesn't get back to his best form, our replacements become expendables and we are swinging at it again. Like I said, glass half empty. I could do that with Wentz too but a swing and a miss on the Wentz front will put all other needs to shame.

RB - With extensions to Nelson, Leonard, and Smith, if Hines wants too much money (very likely) and Mack leaves after showcasing a good year, this becomes a MUST for a team that likes to control tempo running the ball without indulging in shootouts, elevates the draft priority here.

TE/WR - This one, sitting right now, Doyle or MAC or Branson are not game changers at that position, IMO, to just get by. TY is probably retiring next year, and if Parris doesn't take the next step, we are in line for another Day 2 TE or WR, IMO.

 

The rest, I think Ballard will keep re-inforcing depth with FA signings / draft picks and we will be competitive to build on what we have. I don't see them as huge issues while competing against the likes of the Chiefs, Bills, Titans that we have to get past to even get to a SB.

 

Granson hasn’t played yet so how would we know he can’t be a game changer. MAC may end up doing great with Wentz who will take more chances with the 50/50 ball.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Granson hasn’t played yet so how would we know he can’t be a game changer. MAC may end up doing great with Wentz who will take more chances with the 50/50 ball.

 

True. I am just pessimistic about it. He doesn't jump out with his college production or RAS score, that is all. I have more hopes for MAC than Granson since MAC is a known commodity.

 

I am just having a "shoot the optimism down" day. :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m hardly offended.

 

I’m only responding to your original post that made it seem like a silly exercise to do this. 
 

That’s it. 

It is silly. 

 

Ain't nothing wrong with it though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/21/2021 at 12:45 PM, indyagent17 said:

I can see Fisher playing for a few more years as long as he’s healthy

Given the RTS (return to sport) numbers, I'll just be very happy if he's back by game 4, and plays well this year.

 

It will be interesting to see. I doubt he'll grade out higher than AC for the year, so his $ demands come end of season could make things interesting. Good chance he'll miss the games that we play vs the better DLs in the league, so might be hard to grade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...