Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Way Too Early 53 Man Roster Via ColtsWire

LiveAndLetAddai

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/lists/indianapolis-colts-53-man-roster-prediction-spring-workouts-2021/

I can't disagree with much, other than having Ehlinger ahead of Eason and carrying 3 QB's when Ehlinger should be safe on the Practice Squad.  Also, it would allow the Colts to carry 6 Linebackers, as Glasglow is more of a Special Teamer.   Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I agree.  With Ehlinger on the PC, you can either carry 6 LB's, an extra OL, or put Strachan on the roster.

I think it depends on if they have a special package for Ehlinger like was speculated when he was drafted.  I’d be shocked if he wins the backup role over Eason though.

If they keep the relaxed elevation rules (from PS to active), there's just not a huge need to keep SE on the 53. I don't see another team going out of their way to grab him if we push him down to the PS.

I think the biggest battles for spots will be

WR - Strachan vs Patmon AND Dulin vs Harris

RB - Jackson vs Wilkins

LB - Speed vs Adams vs Glasgow

Aside from some of the more obvious stacks in the article, just not sure we keep more than 4 safeties. I'm going to guess Sean Davis gets waived. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

If they keep the relaxed elevation rules (from PS to active), there's just not a huge need to keep SE on the 53. I don't see another team going out of their way to grab him if we push him down to the PS.

I think the biggest battles for spots will be

WR - Strachan vs Patmon AND Dulin vs Harris

RB - Jackson vs Wilkins

LB - Speed vs Adams vs Glasgow

Aside from some of the more obvious stacks in the article, just not sure we keep more than 4 safeties. I'm going to guess Sean Davis gets waived. 

Jackson v Wilkins should be interesting I am hoping that Jackson does well, and we can get a late conditional pick for Wilkins, also so he can have a chance to play more. 

Glasgow, I see no way not make the team and really expect all LBs sticking on the roster from last year

20 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

I'll say it once and once only because want to win the final roster contest for a second straight year......Malik Jefferson will make final roster at linebacker......just saying

There was a contest?  What did you win?

Seriously though, Jefferson has (or at least had) talent.  Is it the injury bug or does he have other issues?

24 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

I'll say it once and once only because want to win the final roster contest for a second straight year......Malik Jefferson will make final roster at linebacker......just saying

Why are you saying that?

You might be right, but what has happened since we signed him for you to think that?   I haven’t seen a single word written about Jackson.

Just saying…. 

23 hours ago, WentzinRome said:

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/lists/indianapolis-colts-53-man-roster-prediction-spring-workouts-2021/

I can't disagree with much, other than having Ehlinger ahead of Eason and carrying 3 QB's when Ehlinger should be safe on the Practice Squad.  Also, it would allow the Colts to carry 6 Linebackers, as Glasglow is more of a Special Teamer.   Thoughts?

Ehlinger AHEAD of Eason?

Seriously?

23 hours ago, WentzinRome said:

@cdgacoltsfanplease enlighten us with what is so funny about this post?  We have already went around and I am done with it.

Ehlinger over Eason, eh? That might be indicative of a gambling problem…

I don’t see any team poaching Ehlinger off the PS this season. And even if someone did, oh well. It’s not exactly like we’re counting on him to be the cornerstone of the franchise in the future. 

Well, unless you’re Kevin Hickey. :dunno:

Odds are, Eason will get 35-50 percent of the snaps in each pre-season game.

Unless Eason is a disaster in the early ire-season games or scrimmages, the team will likely wait until September 1 to make its decision.   At that point,  if Eason can’t cut it, the team will make some modest trade for a veteran backup.  We’d trade an extra piece, a player who is likely to be cut as we did in the Dorsett-Brissett deal.  

But as of today, the odds are strongly in Eason’s favor. 

15 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Seriously though, Jefferson has (or at least had) talent.  Is it the injury bug or does he have other issues?

Yes it was close, several of us within 1-2 picks from winning, just bragging rights like the Draft contests we have here.   

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:
16 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Yes it was close, several of us within 1-2 picks from winning, just bragging rights like the Draft contests we have here.   

Close, but only one winner.

23 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Odds are, Eason will get 35-50 percent of the snaps in each pre-season game.

Unless Eason is a disaster in the early ire-season games or scrimmages, the team will likely wait until September 1 to make its decision.   At that point,  if Eason can’t cut it, the team will make some modest trade for a veteran backup.  We’d trade an extra piece, a player who is likely to be cut as we did in the Dorsett-Brissett deal.  

But as of today, the odds are strongly in Eason’s favor. 

Interested to see how that plays out.  I loved everything about Eason going into the draft and was shocked he lasted until the 4th.  Seemed very odd they took another QB this year. Not sure what it means with how the Colts view Eason, but competition is never bad. I bet they like the traits/skills of both QBs and they were obvious BPA when they were chosen. 

The changes I’d make for the 53:

On offense:

•Ehlinger to PS. 
•Harris instead of Dulin.
•Strachan in surprise move is 7th WR/4th TE. He takes the vacated Ehlinger spot. 
•Fisher to PUP. Hunt takes his spot for now.

On defense:

•Banogu is cut. Stallworth in his place.

I think the rest of the squad is basically on the money, with Wilkins’ hold on the 4th RB spot being the most tenuous. 

15 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Interested to see how that plays out.  I loved everything about Eason going into the draft and was shocked he lasted until the 4th.  Seemed very odd they took another QB this year. Not sure what it means with how the Colts view Eason, but competition is never bad. I bet they like the traits/skills of both QBs and they were obvious BPA when they were chosen. 

I think it's kind of easy to see what it means.... They are not going to neglect using resources on the position and get caught flat footed by crazy circumstances after the last few years of the Luck fiasco and how that played out...

16 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I think when you are talking about a 6th round pick and the fact that they probably like the guy, they got him for competition purposes.  

I think you can also add to the fact that he can be put on the PS and be depth who knows the playbook.

If Wentz gets hurt and Easton has to take over than you either have to get a backup via FA who isn't going to know the playbook or you can elevate one from the PS who will at least know the playbook.  

13 hours ago, Hoose said:

The changes I’d make for the 53:

On offense:

•Ehlinger to PS. 
•Harris instead of Dulin.
•Strachan in surprise move is 7th WR/4th TE. He takes the vacated Ehlinger spot. 
•Fisher to PUP. Hunt takes his spot for now.

On defense:

•Banogu is cut. Stallworth in his place.

I think the rest of the squad is basically on the money, with Wilkins’ hold on the 4th RB spot being the most tenuous. 

I agree for the most part. Ehlinger will be easy enough to stash on the PS. Other teams are unlikely to want him on their active roster. In the event of an injury to CW, the transition to Eason would be easier. We've seen enough of Banogu. Stallworth has given more quality snaps. Having three guys, Fisher, Mack, and Odeyingbo, all come back to full strength from achilles injuries is a pretty big gamble. I think Mack is the least likely to make it all the way back, so he may be a surprise cut, especially if Jackson surprises a bit. Strachan filling in at TE/H-back has to be an intriguing idea. 

Archived