Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are The Colts Doing Enough to Hang With the Other AFC Contenders?

philba101

On 6/29/2021 at 4:08 PM, EastStreet said:

You specifically just talked about pre-draft expectations of those WRs mentioned. You said nobody expected PC to do much, like they expected DK, or TM, or other to do. 

I've just provided data that shows PC was rated higher, and taken earlier than the ones you played up.... That would suggest expectations were actually much higher for PC, which directly counters your point.

One word..... Injury...

GMs can't predict an injury unless there is an injury history. And there was none.

Nobody said he wasn't a deep threat. I said that was not his roll at OSU. Given his speed, it's pretty obvious he could.

And nobody said he could not return punts or kicks. I said teams don't typically have their starting WRs doing it. 

Not sure how either of those issues relate to him being a bad choice by Ballard?

Based on his targets when healthy, and success, I expect him to be good if healthy. How good, that's anyone's question. 

And again, nobody predicted DK or McLaurin would do what they did. Folks got goo goo eyed over DK because of his measurements after the combine, but folks still doubted him translating. And not sure if you're aware, but he never had a 700 yard or more season in college, so expectations were not crazy to begin with. Same with McLaurin. His rise had a lot to do with WFT simply having a horrible WR room. Take a look at their pass catchers in 19 and 20, and you'll understand. I bet you can't name any other WR on the team.

I don't agree alot of people predicted brown and Metcalf would be good. McLaurin was a surprise. Campbell was also at a surprise at how often he got injured. The three wrs I wanted were marquise brown AJ brown and Metcalf. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/10/2021 at 2:09 PM, EastStreet said:

Consider the following

• And lastly.... Julio isn't as fast as he once was. He's 32. He also had injury issues last year, only starting 9 games and catching 700ish yards. Big Xs like Julio age better because of size, but again, TY vs Julio comps don't make sense. And Pittman for the next 6-7 years is probably a safer bet than Julio the next two.

Agreed with all of your points.  I don't know if Julio isn't as fast as he was, but it's a pretty safe assumption.  He's a different breed, so I hate to do comps with him and other WRs.  Calvin Johnson didn't seem to show any signs of slowing down but I think he hung it up when he was a year younger than Julio.  And we know from Andre Johnson, that fall off can be steep.

I'm hoping the Titans will regret how much they spent to bring him in, compared to what he gives them.  But I'd hate to bet against him.

On 7/10/2021 at 2:09 PM, EastStreet said:

Consider the following

• Colts were 11th in passing yards, only 3 YPG off 9th. So we were a top 10ish passing team even with out conservative style O.
  • We put up 300+ passing yards vs Buffalo, who only gave up on average 232 yards, and has a pass D ranked in the top half of the league.
  • What has Pittman done to suggest he won't "translate"? He only started 8 games (still had 500 yards) his rook season due to that strange calve injury/inflammation that required surgery. He came on pretty well towards the end of the season even though IMO he was given grade school routes that were more TE in nature than X. And he had 90 yards vs Buffalo.... And only one drop the whole year.
  • Julio isn't an insurance policy against TY and Parris... Again, they play different WR positions. Jones is an X, TY and Parris are slot/Z. If that's your main concern, then you'd want Ballard looking for a Z/slot type of WR, not an X like Julio. So please, stop with the Julio vs TY comps and arguments.
  • Vs Buffalo, TY only got 5 targets. Pretty obvious it was Reich's game plan to go to the bigs (X and TE) a lot. Pittman and Dolye had a combined 19 targets and 160 yards. 
  • In general, vs Buffalo, our passing game was not even close to our problem. We had 300+ passing yards. The biggest reason we lost that game was our bad pass D, and partially because Taylor's rushing was not as effective as it needed to be. But again,,,,, our passing O was pretty darn good that game. 
  • AJ Brown is only 6 ft..... Not sure why you're grouping him with Metcalf. He's a bully-slot or Z guy. And Metcalf is a unicorn. He's very rare in terms of his measurables, so let's not act like every team has one... 
  • Smurfs are being weeded out? Tyreek Hill says hello.... lol. There are plenty of 6ft and below WRs that are, and will continue to light things up. TY would likely fair much better in terms of yards if Reich would let him run Hill's routes. Do yourself a favor and look at TY's route charts on Nextgen, and compare them to Hill's.
  • And lastly.... Julio isn't as fast as he once was. He's 32. He also had injury issues last year, only starting 9 games and catching 700ish yards. Big Xs like Julio age better because of size, but again, TY vs Julio comps don't make sense. And Pittman for the next 6-7 years is probably a safer bet than Julio the next two.

1 - Where did that 11th in passing yds get us at the end of the day??  1st rd exit!

2 - We lost the game?

3 - What has he done to go into 2021 to be your #1 wr??  Big gamble IMO!

4 - Julio would've at least made us feel comfortable for when PC and TY go down with injury (see history)

5 - TY only got 5 targets because he can't get separation!!!!  Every toss to him is contested and comes up incomplete!!  It must be a perfect lead pass.

6 - Same D that has Buckner, DL and JB??  Same D that has a coveted head coach in ME?  We have 3 Superstars at every level like all the great D's but your saying were a liability?  You saying Buckner or DL isn't worth the weight?  

7-9 -  Size doesn't tell the whole story here, our players can't get separation or cant stay healthy period!!!

20 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

1 - Where did that 11th in passing yds get us at the end of the day??  1st rd exit!

It was crystal clear that our passing game wasn't the problem in our 1st round exit. Not sure of your point here.

2 - We lost the game?

not sure what this is in reply too. If you're replying to my second bullet, you're obviously ignoring the fact that our passing game was extremely effective in the game (by every imaginable stat), and our D was ineffective. 

3 - What has he done to go into 2021 to be your #1 wr??  Big gamble IMO!

When you have young WRs like Pittman and Campbell, and an aging vet like TY, you're always gambling on the young WRs. They weren't going to sign a high priced X with Pittman on the roster. Why would any team with a promising X WR that needs more snaps/opportunity, go out pay a bunch for another X.... If we need anything, it's Z/slot. And it was likely a choice between TY and a FA for Z/slot, and they chose TY. They're simply not going to give up on Campbell just yet.

4 - Julio would've at least made us feel comfortable for when PC and TY go down with injury (see history)

One more time..... Julio is an X WR. He's not a backup plan for PC or TY, who are Zs/traditional-slots. They are totally different types of WRs.

5 - TY only got 5 targets because he can't get separation!!!!  Every toss to him is contested and comes up incomplete!!  It must be a perfect lead pass.

I'm starting to think you don't know a lot about WR types, or route types. TY's routes (the last few years) for the most part aren't routes that will get you a lot of separation. They are mostly timing and possession routes. Then add in that he gets doubled a lot. Still, his catch % last year was higher than his career average, so obviously it wasn't as bad as you suggest. In his 9 years in the league, he's only had a higher catch rate in 3 of those years. 

6 - Same D that has Buckner, DL and JB??  Same D that has a coveted head coach in ME?  We have 3 Superstars at every level like all the great D's but your saying were a liability?  You saying Buckner or DL isn't worth the weight?  

You really need to at least look at stats and try to make a logical argument.... , and where our failures were, and were our ranks were last year. Also note that our pass D went from good early in the year (when we were playing chump passing Os), and totally collapsed as we played better completion. 

7-9 -  Size doesn't tell the whole story here, our players can't get separation or cant stay healthy period!!!

this is complete misdirect lol.

On 7/14/2021 at 10:58 AM, Smonroe said:

Agreed with all of your points.  I don't know if Julio isn't as fast as he was, but it's a pretty safe assumption.  He's a different breed, so I hate to do comps with him and other WRs.  Calvin Johnson didn't seem to show any signs of slowing down but I think he hung it up when he was a year younger than Julio.  And we know from Andre Johnson, that fall off can be steep.

I'm hoping the Titans will regret how much they spent to bring him in, compared to what he gives them.  But I'd hate to bet against him.

I've always like Julio. I would have loved to have him 5 years ago lol. I'm very happy with Pittman's outlook as our X though. I don't think he's the next Julio or anything, but I do think he's got the talent to be one of the top Xs. And frankly Atlanta's O used Julio a lot different than Reich would anyway.

Archived