Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are The Colts Doing Enough to Hang With the Other AFC Contenders?

philba101

Remember, this is how the Julio Jones rumors started? It’s like dejavu! It’s like dejavu! Sorry, I had to do that. Remember, how everyone said that it was not possible for Jones to end up with the Titans because they had no salary cap space? We all knew that was not true. All it takes is a contract restructure here, a signing bonus there, and poof, it magically happens. Now, the reality is that the Colts will match-up against the future hall-of-famer 2-3 times a year. If the latest rumors are true, the Titans are now thought to be the favorites to land disgruntled TE Zach Ertz. Are the Colts really going to sit by again and allow the Titans to continue to load up? As it stands the Chiefs will likely be as good as they were last year (thank you Patrick Mahomes). In my opinion, the Bills, Browns, Chargers, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers and Titans have all improved in the offseason. The Colts caught a break in that they likely will not have to play Deshaun Watson twice a year. If rumors are correct, Watson would like to play for the Broncos. Add another playoff contender in the AFC! There is also a chance that last year’s MVP, Aaron Rodgers, will be traded. You can almost bet that if the Packers are forced to trade Rodgers, that he won’t be going to an NFC team. Add yet another playoff contender. Even with the expanded playoff format, there are only so many wildcard spaces to be had. We only have to look back to last year to be reminded that we were that 7th and final seed. As we know, that position landed us a road game against one of the top AFC teams, and an early exit from the 2020 playoffs. So, it begs the question. Are the Colts really doing enough this offseason to keep pace with the other contenders in the AFC?

I get it, Ertz will be 31 in November, I heard the same nonsense about Julio Jones. Did you know that Tom Brady will be 44 in August, 44! Aaron Rodgers will be 38 in December. I sure wish those guys could still play! Guess who else turned 31 in May, Jack Doyle. Guess who else turns 32 in October, Travis Kelce. I digress. Ok, Ertz had horrible numbers in an injury-plagued season last year (36 receptions, 335 yards, 1 TD, in 11 games. This broke a 5-year streak where Ertz had tallied more than 800 receiving yards a year; highlighted by a career-high (116 receptions, 1,163 yards, and 8 TD’s in 16 games in 2018). So, maybe Ertz will never put up Travis Kelce type numbers again. But what if he gets back to his 800 receiving yard standard? What if he gets back to being an absolute imposing force in the RedZone? From examining the dismal stats of Carson Wentz last year, we all know the Eagles offense struggled to say the least. It stands to reason that Ertz would struggle as well in addition to being hampered by nagging injuries. The Colts have taken a huge gamble betting that Wentz will return to his 2018 form. Is it any more unrealistic to assume that Ertz may be able to do the same? Remember that it was Ertz, who happens to be good friends with Wentz, who helped propel him to MVP consideration in 2018. But, what about the huge $8 million salary hit that comes along with Ertz? Contract restructure, signing bonus, poof! (see aforementioned scenario above).

What about the fallacy that the Colts don’t need more tight ends? I like Jack Doyle, but Doyle tallied his worst numbers in five seasons last year as well (23 receptions, 251 yards, 3 TD’s, in 14 games). His best season was (80 receptions, 690 yards, and 4 TD’s in 15 games in 2017). Moe Allie-Cox had career highs last year with (31 receptions, 394 yards, and 2 TD’s in 15 games. Even though he has improved, I still feel like the Colts are reluctant to use him as a true offensive weapon much like they did with Eric Ebron in 2018. Why does it seem like everybody had a career year in 2018? Ebron quietly logged (56 receptions, 558 yards, and 5 TD’s in 15 games) for the Steelers last year, a stat line that bested any tallied by Colts tight ends. Kylen Granson certainly has potential, but it is just that, potential. The odds that a rookie tight end provides a major contribution are not good. The last rookie tight end to log more than 700 yards in a season was Evan Engram in 2017, a number he has not been able to duplicate since. Before that, it was Jeremy Shockey in 2002 with 894 yards. The fact that Ertz logged five straight seasons with over 800 yards before last season should not go unnoticed.

Imagine the following scenario. The Colts and Titans are locked in a close game that will decide the 2021 AFC South Winner. As it is, they will likely be trying to stop Julio Jones, A.J. Brown, and Derrick Henry. Can the Colts really take the chance to allow the Titans to add Ertz to that mix? One thing is clear. The Titans see their window of opportunity and they are swinging for the fences. Will the Colts take the same approach of will they continue to maintain the status quo? Which approach do you think has the best chance of success in 2021?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess you have to answer this question first: will the Eagles be able to trade Ertz or will they have to cut him? If its the latter, the Colts are wise to sit tight and wait. I'd very much like to see Ertz in a Colts uniform. Their TE room isn't all that impressive right now. But I don't see any team giving up draft picks or players for Ertz if they think the Eagles will have to cut him.....which is what I think the Eagles will do. Then the Colts can pounce. 

I don’t know the answer to your question.  We’ll have to wait and see how it plays out.

But I will say that it’s not uncommon for “loading up” through trades and FA to backfire. I wouldn’t even be surprised if the Chiefs find themselves in a pickle in the coming years because of Mahomes’ massive contract.  I get why they did it - he’s proven himself to be a generational player.  But there’s no question it will create some pressures and dilemmas for them as they go through roster rotation.

Not sure I agree that the Titans and the Steelers have improved this off-season.

It's not a particularly hot take, but I think the success of the Colts depends entirely on Wentz. The roster is good, and deep. We saw what the team can do with a competent QB last season. If Wentz plays at a high level, the ceiling is a Superbowl. If he doesn't, the floor is probably second in the division and hoping for a wildcard berth.

The way I see the Ertz situation is that teams are waiting the Eagles out.  As far as I know the Eagles have not lowered their asking price for Ertz which has been reported to be a 3rd rd pick.  I think they will have to eventually take a lower pick from some team or release him.  I think we are waiting this out as well.  Ertz was given permission to find a trade partner still no trade.  So obviously the Eagles are fine with holding out for as long as they can.  An injury in camp can change everything.   I think we have improved considerably this off season.  Wentz being the obvious improvement.  I trust Reich on that move.  And I think our OL is also improved.  There is no AFC opponent that I see has clear favorites over us.  I think we can play toe to toe with all of them.  It comes down to game planing, coaching and the dreaded the injury bug for me.  We have the talent.  If players perform like they think they will a Super Bowl is very much in play.  

1 hour ago, philba101 said:

Remember, this is how the Julio Jones rumors started? It’s like dejavu! It’s like dejavu! Sorry, I had to do that. Remember, how everyone said that it was not possible for Jones to end up with the Titans because they had no salary cap space? We all knew that was not true. All it takes is a contract restructure here, a signing bonus there, and poof, it magically happens. Now, the reality is that the Colts will match-up against the future hall-of-famer 2-3 times a year. If the latest rumors are true, the Titans are now thought to be the favorites to land disgruntled TE Zach Ertz. Are the Colts really going to sit by again and allow the Titans to continue to load up? As it stands the Chiefs will likely be as good as they were last year (thank you Patrick Mahomes). In my opinion, the Bills, Browns, Chargers, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers and Titans have all improved in the offseason. The Colts caught a break in that they likely will not have to play Deshaun Watson twice a year. If rumors are correct, Watson would like to play for the Broncos. Add another playoff contender in the AFC! There is also a chance that last year’s MVP, Aaron Rodgers, will be traded. You can almost bet that if the Packers are forced to trade Rodgers, that he won’t be going to an NFC team. Add yet another playoff contender. Even with the expanded playoff format, there are only so many wildcard spaces to be had. We only have to look back to last year to be reminded that we were that 7th and final seed. As we know, that position landed us a road game against one of the top AFC teams, and an early exit from the 2020 playoffs. So, it begs the question. Are the Colts really doing enough this offseason to keep pace with the other contenders in the AFC?

I get it, Ertz will be 31 in November, I heard the same nonsense about Julio Jones. Did you know that Tom Brady will be 44 in August, 44! Aaron Rodgers will be 38 in December. I sure wish those guys could still play! Guess who else turned 31 in May, Jack Doyle. Guess who else turns 32 in October, Travis Kelce. I digress. Ok, Ertz had horrible numbers in an injury-plagued season last year (36 receptions, 335 yards, 1 TD, in 11 games. This broke a 5-year streak where Ertz had tallied more than 800 receiving yards a year; highlighted by a career-high (116 receptions, 1,163 yards, and 8 TD’s in 16 games in 2018). So, maybe Ertz will never put up Travis Kelce type numbers again. But what if he gets back to his 800 receiving yard standard? What if he gets back to being an absolute imposing force in the RedZone? From examining the dismal stats of Carson Wentz last year, we all know the Eagles offense struggled to say the least. It stands to reason that Ertz would struggle as well in addition to being hampered by nagging injuries. The Colts have taken a huge gamble betting that Wentz will return to his 2018 form. Is it any more unrealistic to assume that Ertz may be able to do the same? Remember that it was Ertz, who happens to be good friends with Wentz, who helped propel him to MVP consideration in 2018. But, what about the huge $8 million salary hit that comes along with Ertz? Contract restructure, signing bonus, poof! (see aforementioned scenario above).

What about the fallacy that the Colts don’t need more tight ends? I like Jack Doyle, but Doyle tallied his worst numbers in five seasons last year as well (23 receptions, 251 yards, 3 TD’s, in 14 games). His best season was (80 receptions, 690 yards, and 4 TD’s in 15 games in 2017). Moe Allie-Cox had career highs last year with (31 receptions, 394 yards, and 2 TD’s in 15 games. Even though he has improved, I still feel like the Colts are reluctant to use him as a true offensive weapon much like they did with Eric Ebron in 2018. Why does it seem like everybody had a career year in 2018? Ebron quietly logged (56 receptions, 558 yards, and 5 TD’s in 15 games) for the Steelers last year, a stat line that bested any tallied by Colts tight ends. Kylen Granson certainly has potential, but it is just that, potential. The odds that a rookie tight end provides a major contribution are not good. The last rookie tight end to log more than 700 yards in a season was Evan Engram in 2017, a number he has not been able to duplicate since. Before that, it was Jeremy Shockey in 2002 with 894 yards. The fact that Ertz logged five straight seasons with over 800 yards before last season should not go unnoticed.

Imagine the following scenario. The Colts and Titans are locked in a close game that will decide the 2021 AFC South Winner. As it is, they will likely be trying to stop Julio Jones, A.J. Brown, and Derrick Henry. Can the Colts really take the chance to allow the Titans to add Ertz to that mix? One thing is clear. The Titans see their window of opportunity and they are swinging for the fences. Will the Colts take the same approach of will they continue to maintain the status quo? Which approach do you think has the best chance of success in 2021?

So you want the colts to go back to the grigson days of always making panic trades . Throw away a second round pick on a 32 year old wr when we could turn that second rounder into 10 year player instead of a 2 year rental .    I rather build slowly and have a nice base of young talent than to panic like grigson did and give away our draft picks . I don’t want the oldest roster in the league again and to buy a locker room . Once the colts can become a 12 plus win team and make noise in the playoffs then making a trade to put us over the top is fine . We are not there yet 

41 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

Not sure I agree that the Titans and the Steelers have improved this off-season.

It's not a particularly hot take, but I think the success of the Colts depends entirely on Wentz. The roster is good, and deep. We saw what the team can do with a competent QB last season. If Wentz plays at a high level, the ceiling is a Superbowl. If he doesn't, the floor is probably second in the division and hoping for a wildcard berth.

The Steelers achille's heel may be their offensive line. That happens to be one of the strongest points for the Colts. Even though I don't think the Steeler are better than the Coltys, they somehow always finds a way to beat us. The Colts choke from the 2020 season which cost us a division title and a higher seed is the most recent example. The Colts have only beaten the Steelers twice in their last 10 matchups. I didn't think the Titans were better than us last year either especially after we kicked their tales in Nashville. However, we could not win the home game to put them away.  They lost some receiving options but added Julio Jones and some help to fix their leaky defense. I think Wentz will definitely be the X factor for us as well. I am just not convinced the Colts have the necessary offensive weapons to compete with the other AFC contenders. It sure will be fun watching Taylor, Mack, and Hines attack defenses though.

There is no more risk with Wentz than there was with old man Rivers.
 He can play, there is nothing magical about it.
  Gotta laugh how the Ertzites fawn over him, as there IS a fair amount of risk with him at any price. And he won't be the ONLY TE that May come available that could do some good in our O. It is all about having the tools to attack opposing D's. And we have Many already. Ertz would be a blip in an O that spreads the ball around.
 We ARE YOUNG and strong and CB IS Building a very solid deep roster.
Some realize what that means and some are Panicking.
 Colts fans might as well Chill as it isn't All About this season. 

Not when we have so many 2nd & 3rd year players needing NFL experience and having played so few games played together.

17 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

So you want the colts to go back to the grigson days of always making panic trades . Throw away a second round pick on a 32 year old wr when we could turn that second rounder into 10 year player instead of a 2 year rental .    I rather build slowly and have a nice base of young talent than to panic like grigson did and give away our draft picks . I don’t want the oldest roster in the league again and to buy a locker room . Once the colts can become a 12 plus win team and make noise in the playoffs then making a trade to put us over the top is fine . We are not there yet 

Not at all. I don't think anyone wants a return to the Grigson days. I don't see it as a panic move. I simply don't think the Colts have enough established offensive weapons to compete with the other AFC contenders. We are putting a lot of trust in the fact that Wentz is going to propel this team to the next level, and he just might. All I am saying is to give him as many weapons as possible to do that. I see players like Pittman, Campbell, Granson, as potential, but not proven producers. There is a difference between those two. As I explained in my post, age and money are not the real barriers. Travis Kelce is 32 and nobody is looking to get rid of him. If both Jones and Ertz are on the Titans at the end of the offseason, we will not be winning a divisional title this year. That means we will be either out of the playoffs or sneaking in like we did this year so we can be bounced by the top seeds. That in my opinion is not progress.

1 minute ago, philba101 said:

If both Jones and Ertz are on the Titans at the end of the offseason, we will not be winning a divisional title this year.

“Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.”

― Jeff Lebowski

2 hours ago, philba101 said:

If Wentz pans out and stays healthy we can contend for a playoff spot. But most likely it will be a uphill struggle against the Best teams in big games.

That's where are key players need to be healthy and play at a high level and our coaches need to be at their best too, which was not the case in the Buffalo playoff loss.

This is like the 4th or 5th thread basically on the same topic. Do I think the Colts are AFC contenders yes. Super Bowl contenders not at all they haven’t shown enough to warrant that. We’re 3 months before the season I can’t wait.

wayward pines GIF

If we had enough weapons at this point we would at least have something to show for it. The Colts have not won a division title since 2014.  We have played in 3 playoff games and won one of them.  I can see the depth, the youth, the family as you say, but the window of opportunity is not indefinite. Look how many good years we had with Manning, but were only able to win one Superbowl. We have added a new quarterback and a rookie tight end. In my opinion (thank you Mr. Lebowski), that does not makes us demonstrably better than last year.

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

I guess you have to answer this question first: will the Eagles be able to trade Ertz or will they have to cut him? If its the latter, the Colts are wise to sit tight and wait. I'd very much like to see Ertz in a Colts uniform. Their TE room isn't all that impressive right now. But I don't see any team giving up draft picks or players for Ertz if they think the Eagles will have to cut him.....which is what I think the Eagles will do. Then the Colts can pounce. 

I agree, if Ertz gets cut, you got to think there is a good chance he can land with the Colts and be reunited with his good friend Wentz.....that is assuming the Colts are still interested.

46 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Enough? Wut? The front office is doing a great job of building depth, youth, family, belief, and inner strength to this Colts team. If one can't see that and marvel at what's being built................shrug?

My point was offensive weapons.... I love the combo of pass rushers that was added in the draft.

I think we're 4th in the conference right now honestly.

Tier A: Chiefs, Bills

Tier B: Browns, Colts

Tier C: Titans, Ravens, San Diego, 

Tier D: Dolphins, Pats, Steelers, Broncos

Tier E: Everyone else

I think we are solid for this year, the issue for me is the future. 1.) What happens when we have to pay the 2018 class? 2.) What happens if Dodds and/or Morocco Brown get taken from us? 3.) We have no first round pick next year most likely, so we are very all in on this class. 4.) To go along with that, are we going to have a realsitic chance to ever win a SB, or are we going to be playing the Giants and Eagles underdogs roles and hope to strike gold?

I love the team, and I think we are in a good spot for now. My issue is that we are actually in somewhat of a 1 year window, and even though we are going to be fine this year, the four reasons I listed will restrict us in the future quite a bit. Not blaming Ballard, but we are pretty much depending on these draft classes developing at this point since we are mostly just re-signing our own in FA. 

I'd honestly give us a 5% chance of winning the SB this year (which is enough for me to watch).

11 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think we're 4th in the conference right now honestly.

Tier A: Chiefs, Bills

Tier B: Browns, Colts

Tier C: Titans, Ravens, San Diego, 

Tier D: Dolphins, Pats, Steelers, Broncos

Tier E: Everyone else

The Titans, Ravens, Steelers and Dolphins all think they're better than the Colts, promise. 

Out of that list I'll tell you who's not winning nothing. The Browns. Baker Mayfield isn't the guy.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

The Titans, Ravens, Steelers and Dolphins all think they're better than the Colts, promise. 

Out of that list I'll tell you who's not winning nothing. The Browns. Baker Mayfield isn't the guy.

I’m sure a lot of other “teams” (mainly fan bases) think they’re better than the Colts.  Add the Raiders, Broncos, NE and even the Chargers.  Just go to their boards and read about it.  Good thing that what people think matters as much as power polls, predictions, and player rankings.  

As far as the Browns, they may have the most talented roster in the league, and apparently a coach who knows what he’s doing for a change.  But you’re right, it comes down to Baker.  Just like our team comes down to Carson.  The book is still out on both of them.  

I do not believe that Ertz will improve this team as much as a rejuvenated Carson Wentz. If Ballard and Reich are right about Wentz, he will improve the passing stats on probably everyone but maybe Hines. The present receivers will all benefit from Wentz' prior ability to extend plays and hit on more down the field passes. I'm more concerned about the young D-line pass rushers. If they pan out we'll see if Tannehill can hit all his new toys from his back. Their receivers and tight ends weren't all that bad lasts year.

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is early but my Tier's would go like this:

Tier 1: Chiefs

Tier 2: Bills, Browns, Ravens, Titans, Colts, Dolphins, Pats 

Tier 3: Steelers, Chargers, Raiders

The kicker will be, will Rodgers get traded to someone like the Broncos?? If so the Broncos would be in Tier 2 easily. 

A lot of Denver’s problems stem from bad offense. A good QB is a defense best friend sometimes 

On 6/18/2021 at 9:32 AM, philba101 said:

I thought Julio was just what they needed but I wasn't surprised they had no interest. There is something to be said about making a plan then sticking with and working that plan. I think he would have been more interesting as a free agent where no players had to be exchanged. I am not "sold" on our current receivers nor am I as high on Wentz as some people here. We will just have to see.

If im Ballard im not in a rush to max out my bank account for after their prime players who give you a more likely chance to fail than succeed and have no future value whatsoever. 

Let the titans bet on now and then fall into salary cap hell and lose all those players that could make them a legitimate threat for the next several years. 

The panic with some of you is unbelievable like we didn't have the same record as the titans last year. 

3 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

If im Ballard im not in a rush to max out my bank account for after their prime players who give you a more likely chance to fail than succeed and have no future value whatsoever. 

Let the titans bet on now and then fall into salary cap hell and lose all those players that could make them a legitimate threat for the next several years. 

The panic with some of you is unbelievable like we didn't have the same record as the titans last year. 

I give the Titans a 2 year window. After 2 more seasons, IMO Henry will be used up and they will start losing players and be in Salary Cap hell. Because of his age even Julio probably will be toast in 2 years. The Texans are already a huge mess and looked to be that for a long while. Jags might be our main competition here in a couple of years that is IF Lawrence pans out to be similar to what Andrew Luck was.

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I give the Titans a 2 year window. After 2 more seasons, IMO Henry will be used up and they will start losing players and be in Salary Cap hell. Because of his age even Julio probably will be toast in 2 years. The Texans are already a huge mess and looked to be that for a long while. Jags might be our main competition here in a couple of years that is IF Lawrence pans out to be similar to what Andrew Luck was.

While I agree Henry may be used up in a few years, I'm not sure the Titans will fade away. They have some good pieces not named Henry and Jones. Their OL is top 10 in run blocking, and should be improved when Radunz delelops. IMO, they had a pretty solid draft last year which should pay early dividends (at least their first 4).

Jax could turn around really quick. We can't beat them regularly when they're bad, so their rise is a bit concerning to me. They've added some great pieces not named Lawrence. To me, if he develops quickly, they'll compete right away. A lot also hinges on their new coach, which I think is almost as important as the QB situation, if not more. 

Houston needs to trade Watson and start over. They purged the front office and coaches for the most part, time to purge the roster. They could rebound quickly with the capital they get from Watson.

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

While I agree Henry may be used up in a few years, I'm not sure the Titans will fade away. They have some good pieces not named Henry and Jones. Their OL is top 10 in run blocking, and should be improved when Radunz delelops. IMO, they had a pretty solid draft last year which should pay early dividends (at least their first 4).

Jax could turn around really quick. We can't beat them regularly when they're bad, so their rise is a bit concerning to me. They've added some great pieces not named Lawrence. To me, if he develops quickly, they'll compete right away. A lot also hinges on their new coach, which I think is almost as important as the QB situation, if not more. 

Houston needs to trade Watson and start over. They purged the front office and coaches for the most part, time to purge the roster. They could rebound quickly with the capital they get from Watson.

Regarding the Jags, it will be interesting to see how Meyer does in the NFL. It may work and it may not. Titans will definitely be good for at least 2 more years, after that not sure. The Texans are a huge mess.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding the Jags, it will be interesting to see how Meyer does in the NFL. It may work and it may not. Titans will definitely be good for at least 2 more years, after that not sure. The Texans are a huge mess.

If I had to bet, I'd put my money on the Meyer/Lawrence combo. He's walking into a pretty good situation.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If I had to bet, I'd put my money on the Meyer/Lawrence combo. He's walking into a pretty good situation.

I think the big question for many Colts fans is, will the Colts ever become a great team under Reich and Ballard? I think with Ballard as GM we will always be good for the most part. Of course the QB play plays into this as well. Wentz has to be at least good. The posters that are critical at times in here want a SB win though, I do too. Being good every year is fun but it is about winning the SB. It was like that when Peyton was here and even when Luck was here for a few years.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think the big question for many Colts fans is, will the Colts ever become a great team under Reich and Ballard? I think with Ballard as GM we will always be good for the most part. Of course the QB play plays into this as well. Wentz has to be at least good. The posters that are critical at times in here want a SB win though, I do too. Being good every year is fun but it is about winning the SB. It was like that when Peyton was here and even when Luck was here for a few years.

I think Ballard has easily proven his worth thus far, but it's a lot easier to improve a bad roster, than maintain a good or elite one. The next 2-3 years will tell us a lot about Ballard. Reich gets a pass because of the QB situations, but he no longer has that excuse. The next 2 years are huge for him. I fully expect Wentz to get back to 2019 form. I'm sure many will over-credit Reich with that.

32 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think Ballard has easily proven his worth thus far, but it's a lot easier to improve a bad roster, than maintain a good or elite one. The next 2-3 years will tell us a lot about Ballard. Reich gets a pass because of the QB situations, but he no longer has that excuse. The next 2 years are huge for him. I fully expect Wentz to get back to 2019 form. I'm sure many will over-credit Reich with that.

If Wentz just turns out to be better than Rivers was this team will be a serious threat. Dont sleep on the Colts. 

33 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

If Wentz just turns out to be better than Rivers was this team will be a serious threat. Dont sleep on the Colts. 

Not sleeping on them at all. I do doubt our secondary, but more doubt really goes to the overall D scheme in general. 

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Being better than Rivers is going to be a pretty high bar.  Rivers was really good last year.  

Yes he was, but having a great OL and running game will give a lot of QBs a boost.

I'm pretty confident in Wentz getting back to 2019 levels. If so, his 2019 QBR was almost identical to Rivers 2020 QBR.

Rivers' QBR jumped 12 points coming to the Colts. I expect the same with Wentz.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can’t stand that guy. Still can’t deny he has won everywhere he has been.  Darn good coach but he will quit in a few years like he always does. 

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think the Titans only have the 2 year window because once Henry has declined Tannehill won’t be nearly as effective. And their defense has been a mess. Not to mention they could very well have issues signing some of their own players to long term deals after acquiring Julio and being up against the cap. 

10 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I think the Titans only have the 2 year window because once Henry has declined Tannehill won’t be nearly as effective. And their defense has been a mess. Not to mention they could very well have issues signing some of their own players to long term deals after acquiring Julio and being up against the cap. 

Titans have a great run blocking OL, so a lot of RBs could do just fine there. And they should improve getting Radunz, and will also get Lewan back from injury last season.

The Jones contract isn't bad. It's 11M a year after this season, and there's also an out after this season with only 2M dead cap. In short, very little impact after this season if they want to part ways, and reasonable if they want to keep him 2 more years.

And like most teams, their financial commitments are greatly reduced after next season. They don't have an high, ultra long commitments.

Archived