Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts one of lowest vaccinated rates in the NFL

Dogg63

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

Dude.  Just.  Don’t. Read.  The .  Posts. If. They. Bother. You. So. Much.  

some of us are enjoying the conversation, and to TBH, this is one of, nay, the most respectful exchange I’ve seen anywhere on this topic among people who have differing opinions on this ubiquitous issue.

Seriously, and you may have a good reason, but why don’t you exercise your right not to be exposed to it if it bothers you so much?

Let me fix your post ... "why don't you exercise your right... to comment?"

I am bud. 

My comment that this thread sucks lies in the foundation that anyone who is pro-mandatory vax counterdict the very rights that everything is founded around. Let's not forget that the american flag literally is part of the NFL shield. You would think the inalienable rights of all of the consitutents of said nation would be foremost protected. Instead, we are having conversations over if it is acceptable to even suggest a mandatory vaccine. These things seem out of place, and opposite to the fundamentals of the nation in which the league was founded. 

Also, this weird obsession with telling other people not to post their disdain is annoying. However, it does fit with the sentiment that forcing people to put a pharmercuitcal into their body, irregardless of their wish is even somewhat... possibly permissable. 

p.s if all you are gonna do is hurl insults, don't bother responding.

• Like 4

My mom said even though she is vaccinated she was going to keep wearing her mask. Then about a month ago she goes why did I get vaccinated if I have to keep wearing this.  Nobody in my county except for medical places requires it anymore. Not even the dentist office. In my county it’s almost non existent now.  You can count on one hand the amount of cases each day and it’s the second biggest in the state.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

I mean the whole country divided over wearing masks…

Meh we’re always divided as a country on something. Yet we come together for when needed. Not too concerned 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I think if the leagues are this concerned about covid,  they should start being concerned about the sexual habits of players as well.    It's pretty well documented many players hook up when on the road.  STDs are a huge problem in this country as well.   Some of which can be deadly.    

Where does it stop?  I understand covid is a problem.  At what point are you violating a persons rights.    If a player or coach has medical reasons they can't get the vaccine,  then they are being singled out and having hardships put on them for unfair reasons.     What about vending staff?  What about fans?   Are they having to prove they have all of the vaccines necessary to be in attendance?   I think it's a bit over board at this point.    

Stds generally require a little closer contact than covid to transfer from one person to another so not the best of analogies there.  

Why shouldn't fans/staff show they are vaccinated?  

1 hour ago, jimmy g said:

This is going to sound political but its not (and not Racist either). I travel 3200 miles each week, and the most people I encounter still wearing masks are either Asian or Black, in my experience. I go to one warehouse of 40 employees, only 5 are white, and only one person in that warehouse has gotten the vaccine.   It as possible (since its reported that Leonard is vehemently opposed) that Minorities simply don't trust Governments, and most Pro Sports are Racially Minority Dominated.  This is only my experience, and not meant as a political or racial comment at all.  

NBA has vaccinated at least 70-80% of its players and that is a majority black league. The NFL may reach that level by the season roll out

41 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Stds generally require a little closer contact than covid to transfer from one person to another so not the best of analogies there.  

Why shouldn't fans/staff show they are vaccinated?  

Between vaxed, recovered from the disease, and those with natural immunity, Herd Immunity appears to have been achieved. Look in stores, restaurants, or workplaces. People have returned to normal, except to the Pro Sports Leagues.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, runthepost said:

NBA has vaccinated at least 70-80% of its players and that is a majority black league. The NFL may reach that level by the season roll out

I don't doubt you are correct. But Kevin Bowen was quoted to not understand why there is so much holdout against the vax. I just observe it appears cultural.

22 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

Between vaxed, recovered from the disease, and those with natural immunity, Herd Immunity appears to have been achieved. Look in stores, restaurants, or workplaces. People have returned to normal, except to the Pro Sports Leagues.

Not even close

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/states-ranked-by-percentage-of-population-vaccinated-march-15.html

the United States is at 44%. It takes 70% to reach herd immunity.  Even if you have recovered from the disease it doesn’t last forever which is why the CDC has recommended that you still get vaccine 90 days after you recovered.  

People are either vaccinated and behaving accordingly or just decided they are done with COVID.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

I don't doubt you are correct. But Kevin Bowen was quoted to not understand why there is so much holdout against the vax. I just observe it appears cultural.

Add in Indiana is a Republican state as well.  I want to be clear here I am not interested in going political here as there are republicans who were among the first to get the vaccine and Democrats who also refuse to get it.  However, the numbers show Republican states and getting vaccinated at a much lower rate than Democratic states.  That’s just a fact no judgement on it or saying one party is right and one is wrong.  So when you add that into the cultural aspect that could explain some of it too.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Add in Indiana is a Republican state as well.  I want to be clear here I am not interested in going political here as there are republicans who were among the first to get the vaccine and Democrats who also refuse to get it.  However, the numbers show Republican states and getting vaccinated at a much lower rate than Democratic state.  That’s just a fact no judgement on it or saying one party is right and one is wrong.  So when you add that into the cultural aspect that could explain some of it too.  

There’s also a difference between Hamilton County Republicans  and Boone or Owen County Republicans. Counties with higher college graduation have higher vaccination rate in Indiana. Reason why Hamilton County is at 65% and the other two counties are at 25-40%. Same can be said with Democratic counties as well.

22 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not even close

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/states-ranked-by-percentage-of-population-vaccinated-march-15.html

the United States is at 44%. It takes 70% to reach herd immunity.  Even if you have recovered from the disease it doesn’t last forever which is why the CDC has recommended that you still get vaccine 90 days after you recovered.  

People are either vaccinated and behaving accordingly or just decided they are done with COVID.

Some scientists agree with you. Some, like Stanford's Dr Scott Atlas claim we're beyond 80%. All I know is people in Indiana, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, and Now Mexico (my route) have returned to normal.

2 hours ago, jimmy g said:

This is going to sound political but its not (and not Racist either). I travel 3200 miles each week, and the most people I encounter still wearing masks are either Asian or Black, in my experience.  

Not surprising on the Asian culture. They wear masks constantly during flu and cold season. This is noted from years of working on a college campus before COVID. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, runthepost said:

There’s also a difference between Hamilton County Republicans  and Boone or Owen County Republicans. Counties with higher college graduation have higher vaccination rate in Indiana. Reason why Hamilton County is at 65% and the other two counties are at 25-40%. Same can be said with Democratic counties as well.

The warehouse I talked about where one white guy (out of 5 white guys)  is vaxed, and 35 blacks out of 35 won't take it is in Marion County, a Democrat stronghold.  That was a of 10 am today.

3 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

Some scientists agree with you. Some, like Stanford's Dr Scott Atlas claim we're beyond 80%. All I know is people in Indiana, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, and Now Mexico (my route) have returned to normal.

I’ll take the official word and the cdc says this https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

to your later point that’s because people are vaccinated or have just decided they are done with covid and aren’t going to follow the protocol anymore which is their choice.  It doesn’t mean the country has reached herd immunity.

17 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Yeah I am not going to pick on political parties that’s not what I am trying to do.  You can look at the numbers and Republican states as a whole are lagging behind democratic states.  I am just speaking in general terms and using them as a way to measure.  Like I said I have no interest in going into the political side of this.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PeytsBlocker said:

Not surprising on the Asian culture. They wear masks constantly during flu and cold season. This is noted from years of working on a college campus before COVID. 

I should add that most of the Asian drivers I see are from California.  Californians as a group seem to wear masks Much more than Midwestern drivers I see.  Many seem to put on a mask while driving, alone, or while out on the fresh air while fueling- 30 feet from the nearest person.  It just seems,odd to see in Oklahoma or Texas!

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’ll take the official word and the cdc says this https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

to your later point that’s because people are vaccinated or have just decided they are done with covid and aren’t going to follow the protocol anymore which is their choice.  It doesn’t mean the country has reached herd immunity.

Maybe not, but hospitalizations are down, and two weeks ago the entire State of Texas had Zero Covid Deaths.

I realize that covid can be deadly, and not a laughing matter, but for 90plus% of the Midwest where I travel (Indiana-Michigan line to Mexico)- it was never really a 'pay-attention to" issue to most people.  I don't quote stats- I just observe.

My thoughts are while I think people should get the vaccine I understand it’s a person’s choice if they don’t want it.  However, like anything in life your choice comes with consequences both good and bad.  

That’s what the NFL has done is say okay if you don’t want to get the vaccine we aren’t going to make you but you have to avid by these rules as a result.  That is well within the NFL’s rights as they are a “private” business.  

As for how it impacts the team I hope they don’t run into a situation like last year with Buckner and the Titans game.  However, if they do I’ll respond the same way I did that day.  Be disappointed he’s out but not really care beyond that because it’s a game and has no direct impact on my life beyond if I am happy or sad for a few hours on Sundays.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah I am not going to pick on political parties that’s not what I am trying to do.  You can look at the numbers and Republican states as a whole are lagging behind democratic states.  I am just speaking in general terms and using them as a way to measure.  Like I said I have no interest in going into the political side of this.  

Except Texas and Florida have been successes, while NY, NJ, and Michigan were Covid disasters.

Don't get the wrong impression- I'm not antivax. I  got vaxed in late Feb. I'm OLD.

• Like 1

When some,scientists say we're only 44% to herd immunity, I've read they seem to count vaxed plus "recovered". To get the real picture thtough, its necessary to also add the uncountable Millions that already have natural immunity. That's where other scientists claim we're probably at Least 65-70%, and more likely 80% herd immunity.

I'm not a scientist. I'm a truck driver. Most of my day is in the sunlight, which is the best disinfectant, besides my being vaxed. Supposedly, since i'm vaxed, I won't get the disease, so do as you wish....

39 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

Except Texas and Florida have been successes, while NY, NJ, and Michigan were Covid disasters.

Don't get the wrong impression- I'm not antivax. I  got vaxed in late Feb. I'm OLD.

That has nothing to do with the vaccination rate which is what I was talking about.  That has to do with how covid spread in those states largely before the vaccine.

17 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

When some,scientists say we're only 44% to herd immunity, I've read they seem to count vaxed plus "recovered". To get the real picture thtough, its necessary to also add the uncountable Millions that already have natural immunity. That's where other scientists claim we're probably at Least 65-70%, and more likely 80% herd immunity.

I'm not a scientist. I'm a truck driver. Most of my day is in the sunlight, which is the best disinfectant, besides my being vaxed. Supposedly, since i'm vaxed, I won't get the disease, so do as you wish....

It’s not “some scientists” it’s the CDC whose job is the track this stuff.  The problem with using the the recovered number is they know the immunity wears off and may not be effective against variants which is why they are telling people even if you have recovered you still need to be vaccinated 90 days after you are deemed recovered.  

Also they have said from day one just because you are vaccinated it doesn’t mean you won’t get it.  The strongest of these is 92% effective against basic COVID (all of them lose a little effectiveness against the variants) which means it’s not 100% full proof at preventing you from getting it.  However, like a flu shot even if you still get the flu if you are vaccinated it won’t be as severe or last as long.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Meh we’re always divided as a country on something.

Yet we come together for when needed. Not too concerned 

I’d respond, but don’t want to be suspended for talking politics. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

My thoughts are while I think people should get the vaccine I understand it’s a person’s choice if they don’t want it.  However, like anything in life your choice comes with consequences both good and bad.  

That’s what the NFL has done is say okay if you don’t want to get the vaccine we aren’t going to make you but you have to avid by these rules as a result.  That is well within the NFL’s rights as they are a “private” business.  

As for how it impacts the team I hope they don’t run into a situation like last year with Buckner and the Titans game.  However, if they do I’ll respond the same way I did that day.  Be disappointed he’s out but not really care beyond that because it’s a game and has no direct impact on my life beyond if I am happy or sad for a few hours on Sundays.

The thing many people are not factoring in, you can still get Covid-19 even if vaccinated. If someone tests positive before a game vaccinated or not, they will still be ruled out. Lets say Leonard and Buckner both are vaccinated it won't matter if they still test positive. There are many celebrities that have tested positive that have had the vaccine, Bill Maher being one of them. he had to cancel his show for 2 weeks because of that.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The thing many people are not factoring in, you can still get Covid-19 even if vaccinated. If someone tests positive before a game vaccinated or not, they will still be ruled out. Lets say Leonard and Buckner both are vaccinated it won't matter if they still test positive. There are many celebrities that have tested positive that have had the vaccine, Bill Maher being one of them. he had to cancel his show for 2 weeks because of that.

Yeah but I don’t view that as a reason to not get vaccinated.  That’s like saying well if I put my seat belt on I could still die in a car crash even though everything we know shows the odds of that go down dramatically if you wear one.  It’s not full proof but it’s still pretty darn good.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The vaccines are 90-95 percent effective.  That means just 5-10 percent have the potential to get covid again. 

In the vaccine world 90-95 efficacy is unheard of.   Also, if you do get re-infected,  the symptoms are much much milder, or in the case of Maher,  non-existent.  Who would you rather be? 

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah but I don’t view that as a reason to not get vaccinated.  That’s like saying well if I put my seat belt on I could still die in a car crash even though everything we know shows the odds of that go down dramatically if you wear one.  It’s not full proof but it’s still pretty darn good.

What about the people who already had Covid such as myself? They have the actual antibodies.

Practically Super Human.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The vaccines are 90-95 percent effective.  That means just 5-10 percent have the potential to get covid again. 

In the vaccine world 90-95 efficacy is unheard of.   Also, if you do get re-infected,  the symptoms are much much milder, or in the case of Maher,  non-existent.  Who would you rather be? 

Even if symptoms are milder if one tests positive being vaccinated it won't matter if they do test positive as far as being able to play on a certain Sunday was my point. I have just seen a lot of posts on here saying, don't complain if you are ok with players not getting the vaccine and they test positive and can't play. I am just saying what if Carson Wentz gets vaccinated and then tests positive anyway, are we allowed to complain then?

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

What about the people who already had Covid such as myself? They have the actual antibodies.

Practically Super Human.

As I said before it wears off which is why it’s recommended that people who had covid get the vaccine 90 days after they are deemed cured.  

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Even if symptoms are milder if one tests positive being vaccinated it won't matter if they do test positive as far as being able to play on a certain Sunday was my point. I have just seen a lot of posts on here saying, don't complain if you are ok with players not getting the vaccine and they test positive and can't play. I am just saying what if Carson Wentz gets vaccinated and then tests positive anyway, are we allowed to complain then?

I think there are two different aspects going on here.  Some here are talking about the overall impact of COVID while you are looking at it from a football point of view which is fine.  You are more concerned about what happens to the team.  All I can tell you is that the vaccine drastically reduces the players odds of testing positive for COVID.  So if your concern is losing a player to a positive covid test you want them to get the vaccine because that will reduce that chance greatly.  No it’s not full proof but it’s better than not doing anything.  

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think there are two different aspects going on here.  Some here are talking about the overall impact of COVID while you are looking at it from a football point of view which is fine.  You are more concerned about what happens to the team.  All I can tell you is that the vaccine drastically reduces the players odds of testing positive for COVID.  So if your concern is losing a player to a positive covid test you want them to get the vaccine because that will reduce that chance greatly.  No it’s not full proof but it’s better than not doing anything.  

I am just playing devils advocate on this issue. I understand as @NewColtsFan posted your chances of getting the virus are slimmer with the shot but it isn't full proof as you say. Football wise one can't factor in symptoms because the league is only going to look at 1 thing, is he Positive? As I posted this morning I have not been sick with any kind of Covid-19 symptoms since this came out in March 2020 (luckily), but I would not doubt I haven't had it and didn't even know it. I have worked around a lot of people is why. I have always been careful though as in wearing masks and washing my hands a lot. I may get the vaccine soon as I posted earlier as well. I am no spring chicken anymore lmao , I will be 50 in August. My mom wants me to get it, she got hers. 

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Huh?!? 

No!   Of course not!   Why would you complain if a player gets vaccinated and still comes into contact and tests positive?   The guy has done all he can.   It’s just a tough break, like an injury.

But if a player doesn’t get the jab, for non-health related issues,  and gets flagged for Covid, THEN I think it’s ok to be upset.  There’s tons of evidence the vaccine works.  Do what you can to protect yourself and your teammates.   But if you’re putting yourself and your team at risk without a good medical reason, then as a fan, I’ll be badly disappointed. 

• Like 1

The public discussion and discourse on vaccines was quite possibly botched worse than the initial response to the virus. What a tragedy of modernity. You have scientists dedicating decades of their lives to invent techniques and methods of vaccine implementation and being incredibly successful with it for it all to be ruined by failures of public relations. I cannot underscore how impressive what the series of companies/researchers/collectives making those vaccines did, is . It's incredible! It's astounding. This should have been one of the biggest triumphs of science. And instead anti-vax sentiments are spreading like wild-fire. What a waste and what a disaster of public communication.

The Moderna vaccine was ready in its current form in a weekend(thanks to decades of research before that on new mRNA approaches and methods for vaccine implementation)! A WEEKEND!!! Let that one sink in. A vaccine with 95% efficiency was ready before China even acknowledged the virus can be transmitted from human to human and before there was a single registered case in the US. 

There should have been a much better and broader attempts to reach people and start preparing them for the eventual roll out of the vaccines. Educating, answering questions... people should have been experts by now about all the minutiae of vaccines, safety, efficiency, side effects, risks... but no, instead even the biggest health organizations cave in to the pressure of anti-vax kooks and entertained their bonkers theories - the pausing of Johnson and Johnson vaccine in the US and AstraZeneca vaccine in Europe for blood clots for example... 

Athletes are not separate from the population. They exist in the same environment and with the same influences and pressures. No wonder significant portion of them hold the exact same beliefs that significant portions of the general population hold. It's disappointing but it's very expected. Maybe the Colts should have done better job educating the players and giving them opportunity to meet with experts in the field and asking questions.  :dunno: Not sure how Eberflus fits into this, but his wife has been spreading anti-vax nonsense on social media too. If your DC is an anti-vaxxer(not sure if he is too, or if it's just his wife), this might have some influence on the players too.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

As I said before it wears off which is why it’s recommended that people who had covid get the vaccine 90 days after they are deemed cured.  

Some research has shown antibodies have lasted much longer than 90 days but obviously too early for studies to show. Covid vaccine wears off as well. They still don’t know how long that lasts either.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Let me fix your post ... "why don't you exercise your right... to comment?"

I am bud. 

My comment that this thread sucks lies in the foundation that anyone who is pro-mandatory vax counterdict the very rights that everything is founded around. Let's not forget that the american flag literally is part of the NFL shield. You would think the inalienable rights of all of the consitutents of said nation would be foremost protected. Instead, we are having conversations over if it is acceptable to even suggest a mandatory vaccine. These things seem out of place, and opposite to the fundamentals of the nation in which the league was founded. 

Also, this weird obsession with telling other people not to post their disdain is annoying. However, it does fit with the sentiment that forcing people to put a pharmercuitcal into their body, irregardless of their wish is even somewhat... possibly permissable. 

p.s if all you are gonna do is hurl insults, don't bother responding.

Ok duly noted.  You don’t like the thread.  

I am extremely anti mandatory vax.  I am personally vaxxed. I won’t give to my sons. 

From what I saw, your 2 previous comments were you don’t like the thread.  

duly noted.  People need to be able to discuss FREELY.  Without a marketplace of ideas there is nothing but oligarchical tyranny.

6 hours ago, jimmy g said:

People have returned to normal because they don't want to mess with it anymore and states have relaxed the mandates.

8 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

I completely agree there's a ton  I want to say on here about this angerly but I'll stay tight lipped but I agree with you. 

Appreciate your constraint.  There has been enough anger all over this issue all over the place  and there are plenty of places to go for those type of exchanges.

so far this has been nice.

5 hours ago, jimmy g said:

And then uncounted millions of us who had COVID and were asymptomatic and untested.  Little doubt 10s of millions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stitches said:

The public discussion and discourse on vaccines was quite possibly botched worse than the initial response to the virus. What a tragedy of modernity. You have scientists dedicating decades of their lives to invent techniques and methods of vaccine implementation and being incredibly successful with it for it all to be ruined by failures of public relations. I cannot underscore how impressive what the series of companies/researchers/collectives making those vaccines did, is . It's incredible! It's astounding. This should have been one of the biggest triumphs of science. And instead anti-vax sentiments are spreading like wild-fire. What a waste and what a disaster of public communication.

The Moderna vaccine was ready in its current form in a weekend(thanks to decades of research before that on new mRNA approaches and methods for vaccine implementation)! A WEEKEND!!! Let that one sink in. A vaccine with 95% efficiency was ready before China even acknowledged the virus can be transmitted from human to human and before there was a single registered case in the US. 

There should have been a much better and broader attempts to reach people and start preparing them for the eventual roll out of the vaccines. Educating, answering questions... people should have been experts by now about all the minutiae of vaccines, safety, efficiency, side effects, risks... but no, instead even the biggest health organizations cave in to the pressure of anti-vax kooks and entertained their bonkers theories - the pausing of Johnson and Johnson vaccine in the US and AstraZeneca vaccine in Europe for blood clots for example... 

Athletes are not separate from the population. They exist in the same environment and with the same influences and pressures. No wonder significant portion of them hold the exact same beliefs that significant portions of the general population hold. It's disappointing but it's very expected. Maybe the Colts should have done better job educating the players and giving them opportunity to meet with experts in the field and asking questions.  :dunno: Not sure how Eberflus fits into this, but his wife has been spreading anti-vax nonsense on social media too. If your DC is an anti-vaxxer(not sure if he is too, or if it's just his wife), this might have some influence on the players too.. 

This is a serious question not a veiled attack.  Do you really think that these grown ax men are influenced by their d coordinator as to whether they would choose to vax or not?

I’m a teacher, i don’t give a rats heinie what my dept head, principal, or super think about vaxxing.

If these guys are waiting for their bosses to decide this issue, we are in very very bad shape.

• Nadine locked this topic