Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wentz

Patrick Miller

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Here's one source that agrees with me...

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-head-coach-rankings/2/

@EastStreet and I was ranking Frank the other day. On a scale of bad, below average, average, above average, good, very good, and great, I had Frank rated good which is solid IMO. East had him at above average. I think he belongs in the good category. Very good or great is pushing it but I like Frank and glad he is our coach. Once he wins some more playoff games he will be looked at differently. He has the 1 playoff win with Luck.

50 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@EastStreet and I was ranking Frank the other day. On a scale of bad, below average, average, above average, good, very good, and great, I had Frank rated good which is solid IMO. East had him at above average. I think he belongs in the good category. Very good or great is pushing it but I like Frank and glad he is our coach. Once he wins some more playoff games he will be looked at differently. He has the 1 playoff win with Luck.

I think Reich would be a great QB coach for us. Just don't like him as a HC. I love his aggressiveness, but some of his decisions, including those to go for it on 4th down and not taking points have cost us at times. Maybe part of it is he doesn't trust the defense, but I think we had solid defensive rankings last year.

I will say this is the first year that both Reich and Ballard should be seriously judged. It's been a rocky last 3 years. We won a playoff game with Luck. Lost Luck and had to play with Brissett. Had Rivers in his final year in a covid season with no preseason. Now we have Carson Wentz and everything is somewhat normal again. It has come full circle for Frank Reich. This is the year we can fully judge him and Ballard. Solid looking team, we have our QB in place, we are spending money in FA to fill the gaps a bit more, and we have preseason to get our guys practice and get them ready.

I think Reich is average at best right now until he learns he doesn't have to call ridiculous plays sometimes and go for it when it's uncalled for. Take the points, trust the defense, and trust that your offense can score on the next drive. If that happens, we'll be in great shape and I'll believe in Reich as a coach. He should be very comfortable coaching this team this year.

7 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think Reich would be a great QB coach for us. Just don't like him as a HC. I love his aggressiveness, but some of his decisions, including those to go for it on 4th down and not taking points have cost us at times. Maybe part of it is he doesn't trust the defense, but I think we had solid defensive rankings last year.

I will say this is the first year that both Reich and Ballard should be seriously judged. It's been a rocky last 3 years. We won a playoff game with Luck. Lost Luck and had to play with Brissett. Had Rivers in his final year in a covid season with no preseason. Now we have Carson Wentz and everything is somewhat normal again. It has come full circle for Frank Reich. This is the year we can fully judge him and Ballard. Solid looking team, we have our QB in place, we are spending money in FA to fill the gaps a bit more, and we have preseason to get our guys practice and get them ready.

I think Reich is average at best right now until he learns he doesn't have to call ridiculous plays sometimes and go for it when it's uncalled for. Take the points, trust the defense, and trust that your offense can score on the next drive. If that happens, we'll be in great shape and I'll believe in Reich as a coach. He should be very comfortable coaching this team this year.

IMO Reich is better than average. I think he is better than Chuck and I thought Chuck was average, not bad. I agree with you on this that this is a huge year for Reich to prove that he is at the good level I put him at. He wanted Wentz and he got Wentz. Regarding Ballard, I hold him accountable from the 2018-2020 seasons. Not really fair to judge him on the 2017 season where he couldn't bring in the coach he wanted and + the Andrew Luck situation was a mess that season. Luck ended up not even playing. From 2018-2020 Ballard has actually drafted very good = Nelson, Leonard, Taylor just name 3 great picks. He also made a great trade landing Buckner and I thought the Rivers signing was good. The Colts record in that time frame is 28-20 with a playoff win which is good.

Semantics. It is the single most argued or bandied about thing on sports boards. I said Frank was a great coach. My guess is that many of you think "great" can only imply to SB winners, or any number of accomplishment levels. 

Let me start by saying that ANY coach chosen at the NFL level, is a good coach. There is no level below good at the NFL level. None. Coaches can do badly at the NFL level, but that does not always make them a bad coach. 

Levels are different to each of us. I see good, great, and elite. In my world, Frank is a great coach. Many reasons.....which include being a leader of men, great at inspiration, motivating, creating family, guts to call games aggressively, and keenly aware of reaching players at a place personally that displays his genuine belief in them. Frankly (lol), he is as good in the NFL as any one out there with those aspects. If he gets a ring, be moves to elite. 

To clarify it even more, I would not trade him for any former Colts coach in their prime. Frank is THE right guy for this roster, and this time.

Thank you Josh McDaniels.......thank you. Your decision was one of the single best things that happened to my team in the last decade. 

42 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Semantics. It is the single most argued or bandied about thing on sports boards. I said Frank was a great coach. My guess is that many of you think "great" can only imply to SB winners, or any number of accomplishment levels. 

Let me start by saying that ANY coach chosen at the NFL level, is a good coach. There is no level below good at the NFL level. None. Coaches can do badly at the NFL level, but that does not always make them a bad coach. 

Levels are different to each of us. I see good, great, and elite. In my world, Frank is a great coach. Many reasons.....which include being a leader of men, great at inspiration, motivating, creating family, guts to call games aggressively, and keenly aware of reaching players at a place personally that displays his genuine belief in them. Frankly (lol), he is as good in the NFL as any one out there with those aspects. If he gets a ring, be moves to elite. 

To clarify it even more, I would not trade him for any former Colts coach in their prime. Frank is THE right guy for this roster, and this time.

Thank you Josh McDaniels.......thank you. Your decision was one of the single best things that happened to my team in the last decade. 

Yeah I wasn’t trying to single you out with my post.  I was just giving my opinion of Frank.  Honestly I saw yours and thought we probably agree on our views we just have a different view of the words used to describe coaches. 

23 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah I wasn’t trying to single you out with my post.  I was just giving my opinion of Frank.  Honestly I saw yours and thought we probably agree on our views we just have a different view of the words used to describe coaches. 

Yep, I was speaking to the masses. I agree. 

On 6/20/2021 at 9:55 AM, Wentzszn said:

He mentioned how Carson’s little girl and his son are just 3 days apart.  It’s nice to see players from different sides of the ball bonding. 

Nor to get going on vaccinations again but Buckner was very well spoken in that Eisen interview on vaccinations and why he and his wife decided to get vaccinated. Every player needs to do that kind of research and stop with all the conspiracy theories. 

I think both Defo and Carson are/will-be great fits to Indy. I read an article back when we traded for Defo about him being surprised he was traded. At that time, I wasn't sure he was all that high on coming to the midwest/Indy. I think we've probably surpassed his expectations after he got over a bit of culture shock, and the simple shock of being traded. And Wentz, I think he'll just love getting back to the MW and having some sane fans, of course that's all on top of a much better roster around him.

To your second point, everyone needs to dig in and learn as much as they can prior to making a decision. And sure, there were a lot of conspiracy nuts, but also a bunch of sheeples that follow blindly what politics or MSN tell them. I just try to stay away from all the subjective dung out there, and follow the data and common sense. And I always take the source into account.

On 6/20/2021 at 11:32 AM, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

I watched games from last season & Travis Fulgham looked pretty good he & Wentz connected alot  it will be interesting in the passing game this season our receivers are not as bad as some seem to believe . I do believe given the weapons around Wentz will lead to more then 10 wins this season .IMHO:colts:

Fulgham is not bad at all, but his targets were a product of his WRs (and Ertz) being killed by injury. Looking at their snap counts, it was pure musical chairs at both the OL and WR/TE positions. He's got a good OL, good RB room, and much better WRs IMO. Some might argue their WRs are better, but they are certainly not as consistent, and were simply unavailable last year. Carson will be more than fine IMO. I wouldn't be shocked to see him let that chip on his shoulder drive him to having a Pro Bowl or near Pro Bowl type of year. I think his floor with Indy surrounding cast is average 16th-ish, but I think he'll likely be around 8ish-12ish in most major stats. 

1 hour ago, NodakColt said:

Pretty cool that of these 5 former NDSU quarterbacks that 3 are in the NFL

B5912CD9-A471-45ED-8F09-D6ACC6B4897C.jpeg

One of the things have been hearing is how NDSU system is pretty close to NFL. They give their QB lots of freedom at the line there.

I listened to a Lance interview earlier. He is very well spoken and mature. I think he is going to be great for SF.

26 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Something to watch with Wentz. He has never won a playoff game. How will he react when that time comes. That part of his game is unknown. But just listening to him I do think he has the makeup to win playoff games.

Obviously the FCS playoffs aren’t the NFL playoffs but he did just fine winning 2 national titles. The first title was won on an 85 yard drive with under 2 minutes to go in the game 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Something to watch with Wentz. He has never won a playoff game. How will he react when that time comes. That part of his game is unknown. But just listening to him I do think he has the makeup to win playoff games.

Let’s just make it there first! :) 

I can’t believe we are only about 30 days from camp. It’s flying by. Can’t wait to see all the fan reaction again from camp. Missed that so much last season. Can’t wait to hear how Wentz is looking. Also can’t wait to see Eason, Patmon, Strachan play in the preseason games. Should make for some interesting games that usually we don’t care about. Seems like yesterday we were over 50 days until camp now here we are with only about a month to go.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

I can’t believe we are only about 30 days from camp. It’s flying by. Can’t wait to see all the fan reaction again from camp. Missed that so much last season. Can’t wait to hear how Wentz is looking. Also can’t wait to see Eason, Patmon, Strachan play in the preseason games. Should make for some interesting games that usually we don’t care about. Seems like yesterday we were over 50 days until camp now here we are with only about a month to go.

Eason is a huge mystery and we have been secretive about him as an organization. I hope he gets a lot of reps in pre-season. I am curious to see what he has.

21 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

This is really unbelievable.  I was going to dispute this fact and did some research to find that you are correct.

It was Foles that led the Eagles to all their playoff wins and Superbowl while Wentz was injured.

Here's to Wentz getting his first playoff win this season !

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Eason is a huge mystery and we have been secretive about him as an organization. I hope he gets a lot of reps in pre-season. I am curious to see what he has.

Secretive?

What was to share?   Eason was third string which automatically meant he low man on the totem pole.  He did next to nothing during practice in part due to Covid.   Most of what he did was done after practice and way before each game.   So there simply wasn’t much to share.  

Notice that now that he’s been practicing the team has been happy to talk about him.  There’s progress to share. 

I don’t think we were secretive, I just think there really wasn’t much to tell.   

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Secretive?

What was to share?   Eason was third string which automatically meant he low man on the totem pole.  He did next to nothing during practice in part due to Covid.   Most of what he did was done after practice and way before each game.   So there simply wasn’t much to share.  

Notice that now that he’s been practicing the team has been happy to talk about him.  There’s progress to share. 

Yeah I always figured there wasn’t much information about him because he simply didn’t play and wasn’t involved in the 1st and 2nd team practices. It was win-now mode last year in the middle of Covid. 

And Ballard has been quite open and honest when answering questions about Eason, taking about patience and such. I’m sure most of us will be glued to our screens come preseason time.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Secretive?

I am not sure if secretive was the right word to use but usually when a team drafts a QB in the 4th round or less the GM and Coach or even the media tend to talk about him a bit. In reality unless I missed something, nobody talked him about at all. Maybe because of Covid-19 and no pre-season last season made it seem like Eason wasn't even on the roster. I get he was 3rd string but still he was a 4th round pick much like Kirk Cousins was. When Washington drafted Cousins in the 4th round, I heard about him a lot from the Washington media and in that same draft they took RG3 who was getting tons of attention.

2 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

This is really unbelievable.  I was going to dispute this fact and did some research to find that you are correct.

It was Foles that led the Eagles to all their playoff wins and Superbowl while Wentz was injured.

This going to be a telling year for Wentz and Reich IMO. Wentz has a lot to prove to show he is still good (= 2017-2019) and to shut his critics up, Reich wanted Wentz so we are about to find out several things about the Colts. Anyone that thinks Wentz will just come in here and play better than Rivers did last year might be in for rude awakening. We went 11-5, made the playoffs/was competitive at Buffalo, Rivers completed 68% of his passes, threw for nearly 4200 yards, and only had 11 INT's - he took care of the ball. All of those stats are good and will not be easy to duplicate nor going 11-5 will be easy again either.

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not sure if secretive was the right word to use but usually when a team drafts a QB in the 4th round or less the GM and Coach or even the media tend to talk about him a bit. In reality unless I missed something, nobody talked him about at all. Maybe because of Covid-19 and no pre-season last season made it seem like Eason wasn't even on the roster. I get he was 3rd string but still he was a 4th round pick much like Kirk Cousins was. When Washington drafted Cousins in the 4th round, I heard about him a lot from the Washington media and in that same draft they took RG3 who was getting tons of attention.

One reason I think they downplayed Eason was this team had no future QB at that time. Fans wanted to hype him up and hope he was it. I think Ballard was just kind of trying to keep expectations down. I think it would of been different if Eason was drafted as a backup to Wentz or Luck. I mean look at the praise they had for Sam.

2 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

If it hadn’t  been for the cheap shot by Clowney in 2019 I do think eagles and Wentz would of won  that playoff game.

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

If it hadn’t  been for the cheap shot by Clowney in 2019 I do think eagles and Wentz would of won  that playoff game.

And no penalty on that play. Had that been Rodgers or Brady he’d been penalized and probably booted from the game 

1 hour ago, NodakColt said:

And no penalty on that play. Had that been Rodgers or Brady he’d been penalized and probably booted from the game 

He has played every regular season game  in 2019 and 2020.  Being benched don’t really count. Hopefully he stays healthy. I remember during his Pat Mcafee interview he said is very stringent now on his eating habits during the season. Eats a lot of gluten free if I remember correctly. Maybe that has helped. 

45 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I saw some Andrew luck highlights today. It’s going  to be fun having a QB that can make plays like that again. This offense is going to look so much like 2018 and I don’t think we are going to be able to tell Wentz from Luck. They are so much alike it’s kind of scary.

Does Carson snowboard?

I think Wentz is going to ball out. 

Everyone said Vontae was washed and he went on to play his best football here. 

Frank would not put his neck on the line if he wasnt 100% sure that Wentz would be successful here. He knows that his legacy is tied to this move. 

On 6/13/2021 at 9:47 AM, Patrick Miller said:

Do you think the general consensus of fans and commentators is that Carson Wentz is a lost cause? That's the feeling I get. I hope he proves them wrong but It Just seems most people think Carson isn't going to make a huge impact. What do you think?

14 minutes ago, Colts Fan in Arizona said:

I don’t care much for commentators but I care about the fans.

It will be everyone doing their job on the field that will make a winning team…so, Wentz and you field goal kickers need to score at every opportunity… because you have great players.

And fans, you are the 12th Man!

Rev it up!

Easy peasy.

Go,Colts!

Archived