Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you think the general consensus of fans and commentators is that Carson Wentz is a lost cause? That's the feeling I get. I hope he proves them wrong but It Just seems most people think Carson isn't going to make a huge impact. What do you think?

• Haha 1
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've had this bottled up for a while but what better place and time to release it than mid-June. I've been listening to series of podcasts, TV segments, radio hits, etc. about Wentz and the Colts and

I don’t think he forgot how to play, he just fell into some bad habits.   Now he has the team, the coach, and the fan base solidly behind him.    I truly believe he’s going to be everythi

Which Leopard is Wentz?   The one who practically took his team to the playoffs before getting hurt?   Or is it the one who was good, but clearly not as good as the Super Bowl year?  

Posted Images

If you ask any Titans fan or radio personality in Nashville then yes. But they’re also haters. A lot of smarter national NFL analysts believe he could very well have a rebound season. 

Wentz isn't gonna be asked to carry the team which imo is the biggest difference between us and Philly. I've said it before. If Wentz plays within the scheme and gives you 5 big plays a game, we'll win a lot of games.

• Like 5

I don’t think he forgot how to play, he just fell into some bad habits.  

Now he has the team, the coach, and the fan base solidly behind him. 

I truly believe he’s going to be everything we expect him to be.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Do you think the general consensus of fans and commentators is that Carson Wentz is a lost cause? That's the feeling I get. I hope he proves them wrong but It Just seems most people think Carson isn't going to make a huge impact. What do you think?

I dont know personally.  I would think he will probably progress to the mean which means pretty good, Like 2018 and 2019 I wouldn’t be shocked though if he lays a big tuurd or if he plays like he did the SB year like an MVP.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Leopards don't change their spots.

Which Leopard is Wentz?   The one who practically took his team to the playoffs before getting hurt?

Or is it the one who was good, but clearly not as good as the Super Bowl year?

Or is it the one who was terrible last year?

Do you see the problem you created for yourself?   The leopard, as you called him, has already changed his spots several times.   So your cliche has already been proven wrong. 

If it’s ok, I prefer to put my trust in Reich and Ballard who believe in the kid. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Which Leopard is Wentz?   The one who practically took his team to the playoffs before getting hurt?

Or is it the one who was good, but clearly not as good as the Super Bowl year?

Or is it the one who was terrible last year?

Do you see the problem you created for yourself?   The leopard, as you called him, has already changed his spots several times.   So your cliche has already been proven wrong. 

If it’s ok, I prefer to put my trust in Reich and Ballard who believe in the kid. 

I see a history of injury and a trend downward. I will be delighted to be proven wrong but I am not buying all of the hype, I rarely do. I also think the receiving core is among the worst in the NFL. I expect a sort leash on Wentz with lots of dink and dunk short passes to try and get him going. I have not seen many QBs go through his downward spiral and then magically come back. He has the right coach in place (although I am not a big fan) to try and turn him around. I do think the team was too ready to win right now to put the team in a rookie's hands. 

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Wentz has already changed his spots. He was on his way to a MVP season before getting hurt and put eagles in position for a super bowl run....and then he changed to one of the worst QBs last year.

So he has changed his spots already and I think will change again favorably now that he's away from that mess in philly. 

But I cant blame someone who is leaning on the doubtful side. 

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I see a history of injury and a trend downward. I will be delighted to be proven wrong but I am not buying all of the hype, I rarely do. I also think the receiving core is among the worst in the NFL. I expect a sort leash on Wentz with lots of dink and dunk short passes to try and get him going. I have not seen many QBs go through his downward spiral and then magically come back. He has the right coach in place (although I am not a big fan) to try and turn him around. I do think the team was too ready to win right now to put the team in a rookie's hands. 

Well….

At least you’re honest.   Points for that. 

Otherwise….

• Like 1

Wentz being a lost cause is definitely not the attitude of the indy fan base and media. Theres several in the national media who expect a strong rebound as well.

• Like 2

Wentz is going to have a huge year.

HUGE.

He’s got a great arm, is mobile, will have a running game, and has never played behind an o-line this good.

Pro Bowl/MVP considerations

• Like 4
54 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Drew Brees? Ryan Tannerhill? Randall Cunningham? It's not uncommon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Ryan Tannelhill is on line one for you.  Honestly there have been several NFL players who have flourished when they get a change of of scenery.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Drew Brees? Ryan Tannerhill? Randall Cunningham? It's not uncommon.

Jim Harbaugh, Jerry Hughes, Kurt Warner (both in the negative and positive way).  Just adding to your list it goes on and on.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My honest opinion is that Wentz will be a more mobile version of Rivers, but he won't move the needle much as far as wins go. We'll probably go 11-6 or so and be a wildcard (even if we win the division). The improvement, however, may be in the postseason. That's where in a game against a team such as the Bills, Wentz would perform much better than Rivers did. 

I think with Wentz and with the way the team is, we are the 4th best team in the AFC. Chiefs and Bills in the elite tier. Browns and Colts in the second tier, and probably 4-6 teams in the third tier. This team gives me the 2018 feeling honestly. We aren't the best team, and we're going to have to overcome some teams better than us, but we have a decent shot of making the AFC Championship game and possibly the SB if everything goes right.

Wentz is probably going to be the best QB we had since Luck, and maybe for awhile after. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

My honest opinion is that Wentz will be a more mobile version of Rivers, but he won't move the needle much as far as wins go. We'll probably go 11-6 or so and be a wildcard (even if we win the division). The improvement, however, may be in the postseason. That's where in a game against a team such as the Bills, Wentz would perform much better than Rivers did. 

I think with Wentz and with the way the team is, we are the 4th best team in the AFC. Chiefs and Bills in the elite tier. Browns and Colts in the second tier, and probably 4-6 teams in the third tier. This team gives me the 2018 feeling honestly. We aren't the best team, and we're going to have to overcome some teams better than us, but we have a decent shot of making the AFC Championship game and possibly the SB if everything goes right.

Wentz is probably going to be the best QB we had since Luck, and maybe for awhile after. 

Rivers threw for 309 yds with 2 TDS and 0 Ints v the bills with a whopping 91.4 QBR in that game JC.  But OK.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Rivers threw for 309 yds with 2 TDS and 0 Ints v the bills with a whopping 91.4 QBR in that game JC.  But OK.

Yup, Rivers did just fine.

Our pass D on the other hand was horrible. Our LBs and Ss were especially bad in coverage. And we had a bunch of missed Ts if I recall correctly.

If you're going to point to anything on the offensive side, Taylor was limited, and we had some uncharacteristic drops from Pascal, Hines, and Taylor.

Taylor was pretty pedestrian in that game.  But a boneheaded offsides I remember was really costly.  And river boat Frank goes for the 4th and 4.  Hot Rod clankenshipped like a 30 yarder,

Rivers kept us competitive in that game.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think we will see the biggest improvement for the offense on 3rd down and red zone efficiency with Wentz. Which were two areas we struggled in and were in the bottom half of the league last year

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Taylor was pretty pedestrian in that game.  But a boneheaded offsides I remember was really costly.  And river boat Frank goes for the 4th and 4.  Hot Rod clankenshipped like a 30 yarder,

Rivers kept us competitive in that game.

Don't get me started on coaching / play calling... 

Yup, Rivers was the person keeping us in the game. And that's with 4 drops, mediocre running game, missed FGs, and bad coaching.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

At this point the lines/sides have been made. Most of his critics in the media, fans in general aren't expecting much of him. He doesn't even need to have a elite or great season to prove most of them wrong. I'm personally in the middle wouldn't be surprised if he performs well or doesn't. Frank wanted his guy now the pressure is on him to help him succeed. Wentz could definitely be a CPOTY candidate this season.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Nickster said:

I was thinking of the last drive mostly where Rivers had no mobility. Wentz will have much more mobility than Rivers and won't limit us in the passing game. A QB has to be able to run these days to succeed unless you are Tom Brady and are on a team like the Bucs in talent. Just remember, even with that statline Rivers put up, the Colts as a whole only scored 24 points and 14 of those points (both of Rivers TDs) were in the 4th quarter. Rivers didn't throw a TD in the first three quarters and we scored 10 points before the 4th quarter. The defense did well, but before the 4th quarter, the offense was shut down by the Bills.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

At this point the lines/sides have been made. Most of his critics in the media, fans in general aren't expecting much of him. He doesn't even need to have a elite or great season to prove most of them wrong. I'm personally in the middle wouldn't be surprised if he performs well or doesn't. Frank wanted his guy now the pressure is on him to help him succeed. Wentz could definitely be a CPOTY candidate this season.

Assuming Frank doesn't change the scheme much, I'd predict Wentz will be right around 8-12ish in most QB stat/rank categories. 

I wish folks would take a look how injuries impacted his OL over the season. And also his pass catching unit. Travis Fulgham was his leading pass catcher. I bet most folks would say "who is that". There was just a lot of bad going on last season in Philly. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/phi/2020.htm

https://www.lineups.com/nfl/snap-counts/philadelphia-eagles-snap-counts

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Assuming Frank doesn't change the scheme much, I'd predict Wentz will be right around 8-12ish in most QB stat/rank categories. 

I wish folks would take a look how injuries impacted his OL over the season. And also his pass catching unit. Travis Fulgham was his leading pass catcher. I bet most folks would say "who is that". There was just a lot of bad going on last season in Philly. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/phi/2020.htm

https://www.lineups.com/nfl/snap-counts/philadelphia-eagles-snap-counts

That'll take more research and effort that the average fan just doesn't want to do lol.  Wentz was part of a series of problems not the main problem.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

That'll take more research and effort that the average fan just doesn't want to do lol.  Wentz was part of a series of problems not the main problem.

Yes, but even the NFL talking heads fail to mention that stuff. 

IMO, it won't take too much to get Wentz at least back to 2019 form. With Reich's conservative O, Wentz just won't be asked to do a lot. I do think he'll end up having to play a little hero ball early though given our early schedule. But at least he'll have a much better OL and overall surrounding cast of skill player.

• Like 2

I wasn't big on landing Wentz but having said that sometimes a change of scenery can change a QB's career. Get with the right team = great run game, good coach than many things can change. There wasn't anyone that ever mentioned Ryan Tannehill as a top 15 QB when he played for the Dolphins, he was considered average by most and many Dolphins fans thought he was bad. Look at him in Tennessee though with Henry and better coaching. He went from average at best to good in most peoples minds. His accuracy is a lot better in Tennessee and with Henry being the focal point that allows Tannehill to make less mistakes and use play action effectively. 

In reality, Wentz even has more physical tools than Tannehill has.

41 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wasn't big on landing Wentz but having said that sometimes a change of scenery can change a QB's career. Get with the right team = great run game, good coach than many things can change. There wasn't anyone that ever mentioned Ryan Tannehill as a top 15 QB when he played for the Dolphins, he was considered average by most and many Dolphins fans thought he was bad. Look at him in Tennessee though with Henry and better coaching. He went from average at best to good in most peoples minds. His accuracy is a lot better in Tennessee and with Henry being the focal point that allows Tannehill to make less mistakes and use play action effectively. 

In reality, Wentz even has more physical tools than Tannehill has.

Agree with most of this, but Tannehill's accuracy was never really an issue. Those Miami teams he played for were just bad lol. Some horrible OLs. They finally started building the team correctly, and even Fitzmagic looked good.

Looks like TN is going all-in a bit for the next couple years, so wouldn't be surprised to see their O ask more from Tannehill. Running the wheels off Henry will only get you so far.

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Simply moving out of Philly will do wonders for a person

I had to laugh because I have a friend who lives in the Philly area.  He's a WFT fan and gets a lot of grief from the Eagles fans.  I'll have to forward your quote to him.  Sage advice!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

As much as I hate to admit it, I can't argue with this.  It's your opinion and, like you said, we both hope you're proven wrong.

Where I disagree is with your expectations of a "short leash" on Wentz.  I do think they'll set up plays to get the ball out quickly, that's smart with any QB.  But I expect we're going to see a ton of go patterns.

I do have a concern about what would happen if Wentz were to go down.  We don't have another QB who's ever thrown an NFL pass on the roster.  I would not be surprised if they bring in a veteran, even if Eason has a stellar preseason.  

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, Rivers did just fine.

Our pass D on the other hand was horrible. Our LBs and Ss were especially bad in coverage. And we had a bunch of missed Ts if I recall correctly.

If you're going to point to anything on the offensive side, Taylor was limited, and we had some uncharacteristic drops from Pascal, Hines, and Taylor.

Pittman had a jet one to, but we also had three ints reversed particularly the one by Rogers which would have taken a TD off the board

13 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ravens can't forget about them

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I believe Eason can get it done if he goes down

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

As much as I hate to admit it, I can't argue with this.  It's your opinion and, like you said, we both hope you're proven wrong.

Where I disagree is with your expectations of a "short leash" on Wentz.  I do think they'll set up plays to get the ball out quickly, that's smart with any QB.  But I expect we're going to see a ton of go patterns.

I do have a concern about what would happen if Wentz were to go down.  We don't have another QB who's ever thrown an NFL pass on the roster.  I would not be surprised if they bring in a veteran, even if Eason has a stellar preseason.  

I'm not worried Eason will do fine

• Like 2