Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts/Titans argument for winning AFC South


Recommended Posts

This video made me laugh at just how blinded Clay Travis is for his Titans. He named Simmons as the top DT in the league LOL. He said their defense is now fixed with the questionable additions of Caleb Farley, Janoris Jenkins, and Bud Dupree. 

 

I hope this all blows up in their faces, as a lot of Titans fans are this delusional after the Julio trade. I live in Nashville so I should know. 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You mean like they do after every draft, every season that ends without a SB, and every time the Colts do not sign the FA they wanted?

To be fair, Tennessee fans have every reason to feel happy and even cocky. They are the defending division champs, they're a year removed from getting to the AFC finals, they are regulars in the playo

I think this Julio Jones trade is bad for both the Titans and Colts honestly. The Titans are just giving themselves a short-term window to try and win now even though they are probably the 5th best te

If they would've kept Corey Davis and added Julio I would agree that would be explosive and damn near unstoppable along with Brown. They added Julio and he is still good but lost Davis, they are also a run first team so how well that will set with Julio will be interesting too. Our defense and O.Line is better than theirs so it is closer than what people think between the Titans and Colts. It is critical that Wentz pans out, whoever is better between Wentz and Tannehill will go a long ways to determine the division IMO. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If they would've kept Corey Davis and added Julio I would agree that would be explosive and damn near unstoppable along with Brown. They added Julio and he is still good but lost Davis, they are also a run first team so how well that will set with Julio will be interesting too. Our defense and O.Line is better than theirs so it is closer than what people think between the Titans and Colts. It is critical that Wentz pans out, whoever is better between Wentz and Tannehill will go a long ways to determine the division IMO. 

Agreed. Wentz certainly has the better talent and skill over Tannehill, and has every opportunity in Indy to be better with the supporting cast he has. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

Agreed. Wentz certainly has the better talent and skill over Tannehill, and has every opportunity in Indy to be better with the supporting cast he has. 

I agree and this could be Frank's shining moment as a coach, I hope so. If this back fires, the forum will do this Explosion Explode GIF by Minnesota State University Moorhead

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

You mean like they do after every draft, every season that ends without a SB, and every time the Colts do not sign the FA they wanted?

We could have a season like 1995, 1 pass away from the SB and I could see 2 or 3 people saying, yeah I knew it Wentz sucked, bad trade lmao . Only if Leonard would've made 1 more play, we can't re-sign him happy homer simpson GIF

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

 

To be fair, Tennessee fans has every reason to feel happy and even cocky. They are the defending division champs, they're a year removed from getting to the AFC finals, they are regulars in the playoffs.

Julio Jones >>> Corey Davis. Sure, there might be some questions about how he fits in but on paper, it's a significant upgrade. Arguing that having three of those wideouts would have been better is all good but it doesn't mean that Brown and Jones isn't much better than Brown and Davis.

As for them being a run-first team, we'll see. They have a new OC right? Even if they stick with the offense Arthur Smith ran, their WRs still got theirs and the offense wasn't just solely a pound-it offense.

 

They've earned the right to be cocky. It's on the Colts to level up and take the division, we have not done that since 2014. 

 

I don't believe they've fully earned the right to be cocky until they actually win something or even get to the big game. And Colts have owned them for the longest time, and only in the last 2 years have they actually shown some fight back in the series with us. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

 

To be fair, Tennessee fans have every reason to feel happy and even cocky. They are the defending division champs, they're a year removed from getting to the AFC finals, they are regulars in the playoffs.

Julio Jones >>> Corey Davis. Sure, there might be some questions about how he fits in but on paper it's a significant upgrade. Arguing that having three of those wideouts would have been better is all good but it doesn't mean that Brown and Jones isn't much better than Brown and Davis. Also, how many teams have THREE star wideouts like that? 3 WR1s.

As for them being a run-first team, we'll see. They have a new OC right? Even if they stick with the offense Arthur Smith ran, their WRs and passing game still got theirs and the offense wasn't just solely a pound-it offense.

 

They've earned the right to be cocky. It's on the Colts to level up and take the division, we have not done that since 2014. 

 

I seriously doubt Derick Henry would put up with not at least getting 20 carries a game, in a 17 game season that is 340 carries and about right up his alley. He is the best back in football. We will see how this all pans out.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I don't believe they've fully earned the right to be cocky until they (1): actually win something or even get to the big game. And Colts have owned them for the longest time, and (2): only in the last 2 years have they actually shown some fight back in the series with us. 

1. AFC South Champs, right?

 

2. So, more recently. If you had to chart their progress, would the arrow be pointing up or down?

 

I still think that with the addition of Wentz at QB, we will be the better team this year, (given that I am a Colts fan) but I would not down play their progress or their ability to go toe-to-toe with us, as they've shown recently.

 

Look at things from their perspective. A few years ago, they were not a good team. They hired a charismatic leader in their head coach, added a new QB, focused on their run game and have continuously improved. They just won the division last year. They've now added one of the games best receivers. They should be pumped up for this season. I'm not going to down play any of that.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I don't believe they've fully earned the right to be cocky until they actually win something or even get to the big game. And Colts have owned them for the longest time, and only in the last 2 years have they actually shown some fight back in the series with us. 

I am the same way, you have to have a great history to be able to pound your chest and talk smack. Wasn't there like a 10 year stretch that we beat them like 18 out of 20 times and that is recent. At their best which was last year they had the same exact record we had = 11-5 and we split with them last year. That is definitely not being more dominant than we are. Like us, they didn't win a playoff game last year either so to boast like you are the big bad wolf is comical. Win a SB a come talk to me lol, we won one in 2006. I suppose if they want to do this wolf howling GIF- let them have had it lmao . I put the important part in bold because that was just last year if someone tries to say history is meaningless which it isn't IMO.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

1. AFC South Champs, right?

 

2. So, more recently. If you had to chart their progress, would the arrow be pointing up or down?

 

I still think that with the addition of Wentz at QB, we will be the better team this year, (given that I am a Colts fan) but I would not down play their progress or their ability to go toe-to-toe with us, as they've shown recently.

 

Look at things from their perspective. A few years ago, they were not a good team. They hired a charismatic leader in their head coach, added a new QB, focused on their run game and have continuously improved. They just won the division last year. They've now added one of the games best receivers. They should be pumped up for this season. I'm not going to down play any of that.

I understand where you're coming from, but it's the cocky approach that annoys me about their delusional fanbase. Until you actually win a championship, or defeat the Colts on a consistent basis, you have no right to feel like the big bad dog on the block, or in this case the AFC South. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh, I dont wanna talk about it lol. we have a tough NFC west and AFC east to contend with. Throw in a first ever.. just happens to be Tompa Bay. The Ravens somehow also finished 2nd place last year.  So I dont have high expectations for the season. I just love Sundays watching the Colts!

 

And having 4 maybe 5 primetime games is always fun!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BProland85 said:

I understand where you're coming from, but it's the cocky approach that annoys me about their delusional fanbase. Until you actually win a championship, or defeat the Colts on a consistent basis, you have no right to feel like the big bad dog on the block, or in this case the AFC South. 

Yeah if they win the division 3 or 4 years in a row and sweep us every year then a little boasting is ok, I understand that. Really until a team wins a SB though you really don't have a leg to stand on. It comes up in every convo with friends, at a bar, etc.. Has your team ever won a SB? If it is No than you are screwed and the convo ends. That is why the Texans could never be taken real serious in a convo, the Texans have never even made a AFC Title Game.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Titans to me are top-heavy they don’t  really have depth like the Colts. I don’t even know who’s the 3rd or 4th WR is same with RB. TE also isn’t a strong suit. On the Defensive side of the ball they replaced a lot of people and that doesn’t mean they’ll be much better tbh. Pressure will be on Reich to help Wentz not play hero ball and play within the offense. It’ll be close and will come down to the wire again IMO. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Titans to me are too top-heavy They don’t  really have depth like the Colts. I don’t even know who’s the 3rd or 4th WR is same with RB. TE also isn’t a strong suit. On the Defensive side of the ball they replaced a lot of people and that doesn’t mean they’ll be much better tbh. Pressure will be on Reich to help Wentz not play hero ball and play within the offense. It’ll be close and will come down to the wire again IMO.

I think the AFC South is a 2-team race (of course that is being Mr Obvious lol), I have it 50/50 % wise who takes it between the Colts and Titans. Wentz will determine it a lot because if he is good we have a nice shot, if he is bad or gets injured we are in big trouble.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this Julio Jones trade is bad for both the Titans and Colts honestly. The Titans are just giving themselves a short-term window to try and win now even though they are probably the 5th best team in the AFC. Julio mostly replaces Corey Davis for two years and it's a very expensive price to do so for a 2nd and 4th round pick (although they get a 6th rounder back). 

 

As for the Colts, this is just enough to make it harder to win the division in the short-term. We'll have to pay Nelson, Leonard, and Braden pretty soon, and I'd of liked an easy path into the playoffs. This will make the Titans a thorn in our side for the next two years like last year. 

 

I will say, I believe Carson Wentz will decide who wins the AFC South. The Titans have a low risk with their players, what you see is what you get. It's the Colts that are high risk, high reward. How will Wentz do? Will Fisher be healthy after a few games to start? Will Mack be healthy? Will Dayo play this year? Will Parris Campbell not get hurt. If most of those guys play and do well, we win the division. If not, the Titans do. Of course, Wentz has to be one of them, and he's the ultimate wildcard himself in his first year here. 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Meh, I dont wanna talk about it lol. we have a tough NFC west and AFC east to contend with. Throw in a first ever.. just happens to be Tompa Bay. The Ravens somehow also finished 2nd place last year.  So I dont have high expectations for the season. I just love Sundays watching the Colts!

 

And having 4 maybe 5 primetime games is always fun!

The 1st part of our schedule is really tough! At least we play the Texans and Jags twice. We need to go 4-0 in those games. Lawrence will probably end up good, maybe great but not for 2 or 3 years IMO. The Texans are a mess. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I don't believe they've fully earned the right to be cocky until they actually win something or even get to the big game. And Colts have owned them for the longest time, and only in the last 2 years have they actually shown some fight back in the series with us. 

Football is very much about the NOW not the past. We owned them with 18 and 12, those guys are not here. They smell their moment, let them have it. Personally, I'm more worried about the Colts.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you shut up titan fans? 3 losses to them since 2012 and you lost to Dan flipping Orlasky

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Football is very much about the NOW not the past. We owned them with 18 and 12, those guys are not here. They smell their moment, let them have it. Personally, I'm more worried about the Colts.

Yeah but even you go by last year the teams were even as I posted above, they won the division but both were 11-5 and split. They just got the tiebreaker. A lot does depend on Wentz = the now. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WentzinRome said:

 To be the best you have to beat the best and I have yet to see a Super Bowl champion crowned in June ;)

 

  

Yep and IMO the Chiefs are the best in the AFC, they have proven it the last 2 years and won a SB in 2019. If any team deserves to boast in recent history it is them. They are like we were from 2004-2006 lethal as hell.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

On paper the Titans have improved themselves a great deal.  With their improvement as well as finish last year, we cannot discount them as not only a challenger in the AFC South but, a contender for the AFC.  If we turn the page, the Colts have also improved and as @WentzinRomesaid, nobody is crowned in June.  Gotta play the games and I like our chances!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Titans to me are top-heavy they don’t  really have depth like the Colts. I don’t even know who’s the 3rd or 4th WR is same with RB. TE also isn’t a strong suit. On the Defensive side of the ball they replaced a lot of people and that doesn’t mean they’ll be much better tbh. Pressure will be on Reich to help Wentz not play hero ball and play within the offense. It’ll be close and will come down to the wire again IMO. 

depth...

 

depth..

 

depth.

 

depth

 

At some point I don't care how many "could be's" we're holding out hope for. It's not depth. It's a lottery ticket. 1/3 of the D Ballard has assembled (if not more) is firmly in lottery ticket mode. A few pieces do help make up a good picture, some others less so- the LB core outside of Leonard is more or less question mark- I mean EJ Speed is a thing *I'm not craping on him specifically, just pointing out, he's not an established quantity, and really no else in the group is either*... The DE situation is ummm.. what's going on there? I don't really get it- but there's a high end rookie who's going to be playing lot's snaps. Buckner is top shelf. Kenny Moore is really solid too. One stud at every level is nice but it's 11 on 11. We'll see. I think it's going to be a group that can beat up on lot's of teams but maybe not the best ones.

 

So, typically it's the teams that have top heavy rosters with guys who stay healthy and produce tend to have good years and compete for SB's. I don't think the Colts are top heavy. The pass catching group is okay but not top shelf. The TE's.. umm (remember when people praised Doyel's hands.. lol). The RB's group is good, no stress there. Then there's a new QB. I dunno how you pencil that in either way right now.

 

On paper it's not hard to make the case for the Titans being a better bet to go deep this year. They know what they have at QB. They know with Henry teams are going to have to try and stop either AJ Brown or Julio one on one. That's a lay up. There's a very solid reason Clay is all in on his squad honestly. I wouldn't hold it against Titans fans for feeling like this is a year to cash in lot's of W's.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, joecolts said:

On paper the Titans have improved themselves a great deal.  With their improvement as well as finish last year, we cannot discount them as not only a challenger in the AFC South but, a contender for the AFC.  If we turn the page, the Colts have also improved and as @WentzinRomesaid, nobody is crowned in June.  Gotta play the games and I like our chances!

You could also argue they got worse this offseason, especially if you count their loss of Offensive Coordinator Arthur Smith, who was the mastermind in getting Tannehill back on track.

 

They also lost starting WR Corey Davis, starting TE Jonnu Smith, staters at corner Malcolm Butler and Adoree Jackson, and starting safety Kenny Vacarro. 

 

Their additions of Caleb Farley, Janoris Jenkins, and Bud Dupree all have question marks attached to them, whether it's injury or age related. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BProland85 said:

You could also argue they got worse this offseason, especially if you count their loss of Offensive Coordinator Arthur Smith, who was the mastermind in getting Tannehill back on track.

 

They also lost starting WR Corey Davis, starting TE Jonnu Smith, staters at corner Malcolm Butler and Adoree Jackson, and starting safety Kenny Vacarro. 

 

Their additions of Caleb Farley, Janoris Jenkins, and Bud Dupree all have question marks attached to them, whether it's injury or age related. 

I can't disagree with that, BP.  Points well taken

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

I understand where you're coming from, but it's the cocky approach that annoys me about their delusional fanbase. Until you actually win a championship, or defeat the Colts on a consistent basis, you have no right to feel like the big bad dog on the block, or in this case the AFC South. 

Why do they have to defeat the Colts?   The Colts haven't won the division since 2014.   That's 7 years.   They are no longer the big dog in the division.  The Texans have won the division 4 of the past 6 years, they are the one's the Titans are knocking off the perch.   Titan fans should be pumped for this season.    They added lots to their defense and it should be much better.   They have a scary running game and a scary passing game.   My money would be on them to win the division again.   The Colts could also win it, but I think the Titans have a better shot.  

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Myles said:

The Colts haven't won the division since 2014.   That's 7 years.

 

Man. It wasn’t even all that long ago that was an unfathomable statement...
 

sad peyton manning GIF by Gatorade

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Wentz will determine it a lot because if he is good we have a nice shot, if he is bad or gets injured we are in big trouble will go undefeated because any sane person knows we'll immediately bring Swag back.

There, fixed it for you.   

 

:peek:

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were a betting man and I HAD to pick between the Colts and Titans to win the division, I believe that I'd go with the Colts by a narrow margin. The key for me is the depth issue. Injuries are a constant companion in the NFL and I think the Colts can withstand a few more than the Titans. Julio Jones was a tremendous addition to their team but he has been a little brittle of late. Derrick Henry is a beast but has been fortunate thus far. Either one of those guys go down and who is the replacement? They have bet big that Julio will stay healthy. Beyond that my other reason is the defense. I think the Colts have a tremendous advantage in the front seven at both D line and linebacker. If the Colts can get pressure on Tannehill it will go a long way to deciding the head to head matchups. I can't stop this without mentioning that Carson Wentz could also make a huge impact either good or bad. We'll see.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Myles said:

Why do they have to defeat the Colts?   The Colts haven't won the division since 2014.   That's 7 years.   They are no longer the big dog in the division.  The Texans have won the division 4 of the past 6 years, they are the one's the Titans are knocking off the perch.   Titan fans should be pumped for this season.    They added lots to their defense and it should be much better.   They have a scary running game and a scary passing game.   My money would be on them to win the division again.   The Colts could also win it, but I think the Titans have a better shot.  

 

Exactly. We love our team but let's not abandon facts. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

 

Exactly. We love our team but let's not abandon facts. 

 

The history is the history and the Colts lock on the division is becoming ancient history.   The Texans seemed to have relinquished the division hold so it is up for grabs and the Titans have the best chance of grabbing it.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Titans are favorites for the division. There's too much projection needed for the Colts. Receiving core unproven, QB needing a bounce back, young players on the DLine and Secondary have to step up. Not that most of those things couldn't go our way, but there are too many question marks. The Titans have questions on defense but the offense is close to a sure thing. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

The Titans are favorites for the division. There's too much projection needed for the Colts. Receiving core unproven, QB needing a bounce back, young players on the DLine and Secondary have to step up. Not that most of those things couldn't go our way, but there are too many question marks. The Titans have questions on defense but the offense is close to a sure thing. 


Yeah having a decent defense isn’t important.  lmao 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JediXMan said:


Yeah having a decent defense isn’t important.  lmao 

The Titans improved their defense through the draft and free agent signings.

 

Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech

Farley’s injuries caused him to fall down the boards, but this is a home run in terms of talent. He’s a long, physical corner who immediately takes over the CB1 spot in Tennessee. They needed to fill in this spot. 

The injury risk causes his grade to slip from me, but his talent is undeniable. If Farley stays healthy, this is a steal. 

Grade: A-

 

Elijah Molden, DB, Washington

After a puzzling pick in Rice, the Titans rebounded and selected an excellent nickel corner/safety in Elijah Molden. Molden is a fluid, sticky, and instinctual coverage corner. It’s stunning he fell this far, but the Titans get their Desmond King replacement (upgrade?) with the 100th pick.

Grade: A+

 

Rashad Weaver, EDGE, Pitt

The Titans’ pass rush was among the league’s worst last season. After spending big on Bud Dupree, the team could use some depth to fill out their room. Rashad Weaver was incredibly productive at Pitt, and his technique and agility should translate well to the next level. I like the pick as a rotational piece on the edge.

Grade: A

 

They signed Dupree and Autry which makes their D-line much better.   

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The division will come down to Titans and Colts this year. I like what the Titans did in the off-season.. their corners got lit up last year so losing them doesn’t seem like a big deal.

 

However, I’ve said it many times in these forums, people just don’t understand how good Wentz is going to be with this line and running game. Colts win the division, Titans snag a wild card.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheNextGM said:

The division will come down to Titans and Colts this year. I like what the Titans did in the off-season.. their corners got lit up last year so losing them doesn’t seem like a big deal.

 

However, I’ve said it many times in these forums, people just don’t understand how good Wentz is going to be with this line and running game. Colts win the division, Titans snag a wild card.

I could see it happening that way.    I could also see the Titans at 12-5 and the Colts at 11-6.

 

Titans had corner issues which they addressed in the draft and the Colts had edge issues that they addressed in the draft.  

 

We'll see which one solved their issue most.   Colts also have a LT issue that they addressed, but not until maybe week 6.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...