Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL.com most underappreciated players article

Four2itus

M. A. C. gets some love...

"While he hauled in 31 of his 39 targets (for 394 yards and two touchdowns) and averaged 1.9 yards per route run in 2020 (highest on the Colts, per PFF), Alie-Cox was actually even more productive when he wasn't the subject of a pass. His productivity in pass blocking (based on percentage of snaps) was only surpassed on the team by three-time All-Pro guard Quenton Nelson"

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-s-most-underappreciated-players-jordan-poyer-courtland-sutton-alex-highsmith

MAC absolutely deserves more snaps and targets. You don't have a statistical all-around year like he did and not deserve a chance to be a bigger part of the O. 

I personally want to see more of him in the intermediate game, like the sail routes last year vs MN. My fear is, Reich likes guys like Burton, and our rook move-TE, better than traditional TEs, so MAC might still get limited opportunity. 

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

MAC absolutely deserves more snaps and targets. You don't have a statistical all-around year like he did and not deserve a chance to be a bigger part of the O. 

I personally want to see more of him in the intermediate game, like the sail routes last year vs MN. My fear is, Reich likes guys like Burton, and our rook move-TE, better than traditional TEs, so MAC might still get limited opportunity. 

Honestly I like Mo better than Jack at this point, I think he’s a better blocker as well. Wouldn't mind seeing Mo get featured more in the offense.  

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I really thought MAC was hampered by his knee last year. He was much slower in YAC situations than I could ever recall. Just plodding. I know he takes a while to get up a full head of steam, but late in the year, he really seemed to struggle after the catch. I'm looking forward to seeing him healthy and killing it on seam routes.... i.e. the guy we all think he can be. 

I would like to know what Mo's stats were for run blocking. That's where Doyle has excelled and has been touted as one of the reasons for our successful running game. Granson has been talked about as a Move TE, but if he's not willing to block, he shouldn't be able to stay on the field. 

On 6/10/2021 at 9:07 AM, ProblChld32 said:

Honestly I like Mo better than Jack at this point, I think he’s a better blocker as well. Wouldn't mind seeing Mo get featured more in the offense.  

I like Mo better than all the TEs, and have for a few years now (from a pure potential standpoint). To me, he's always looked good when called upon, He's probably suffered from all the QB musical chairs that last several years. To me, he's always flashed well in the run blocking game, and probably should have earned more snaps just off that.

9 hours ago, coltsfan1965 said:

I would like to know what Mo's stats were for run blocking. That's where Doyle has excelled and has been touted as one of the reasons for our successful running game. Granson has been talked about as a Move TE, but if he's not willing to block, he shouldn't be able to stay on the field. 

From SI

"According to PFF, Alie-Cox was the second-best tight end in the NFL at pass blocking in 2020 with a grade of 81.8 — not allowing a single pressure all year — and No. 15 in run blocking with a grade of 68.2."

MAC was top 5 in both run and pass blocking the first half of the season IIRC. His blocking, especially run blocking, fail off big time when he hurt his knee. At the same time, our SOS increased too.

and here's the year end blurb from PFF that I published in the other thread

"Alie-Cox did enough last season as part of the Colts tight end rotation to want to see him in a larger role in 2021. His 80.9 PFF grade was a top-five mark at the position on just over 500 snaps on the year. Alie-Cox contributed as both a receiver (2.07 yards per route run) and blocker (79th percentile in positively graded run blocks). He just needs to show similar play in a bigger role again in 2021 to move up the list.    "

On 6/10/2021 at 1:14 PM, Hoose said:

I really thought MAC was hampered by his knee last year. He was much slower in YAC situations than I could ever recall. Just plodding. I know he takes a while to get up a full head of steam, but late in the year, he really seemed to struggle after the catch. I'm looking forward to seeing him healthy and killing it on seam routes.... i.e. the guy we all think he can be. 

Yes, the knee impacted him big time for a stretch. He was the top ranked TE for a good long time, and dropped when he hurt his knee. He still ended up the 5th best overall. 

As far as YAC is concerned, he had a very good YAC/R average. 5.9... Only Pittman was slightly better out of the pass catchers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2021 at 9:41 PM, EastStreet said:

From SI

"According to PFF, Alie-Cox was the second-best tight end in the NFL at pass blocking in 2020 with a grade of 81.8 — not allowing a single pressure all year — and No. 15 in run blocking with a grade of 68.2."

MAC was top 5 in both run and pass blocking the first half of the season IIRC. His blocking, especially run blocking, fail off big time when he hurt his knee. At the same time, our SOS increased too.

and here's the year end blurb from PFF that I published in the other thread

"Alie-Cox did enough last season as part of the Colts tight end rotation to want to see him in a larger role in 2021. His 80.9 PFF grade was a top-five mark at the position on just over 500 snaps on the year. Alie-Cox contributed as both a receiver (2.07 yards per route run) and blocker (79th percentile in positively graded run blocks). He just needs to show similar play in a bigger role again in 2021 to move up the list.    "

This tells me that Granson at least needs to be a willing blocker and work on that aspect of his game. It also tells me that there will probably be more of a blocking type tight end on the practice squad who can be developed for next year.

On 6/21/2021 at 2:35 PM, coltsfan1965 said:

This tells me that Granson at least needs to be a willing blocker and work on that aspect of his game. It also tells me that there will probably be more of a blocking type tight end on the practice squad who can be developed for next year.

I'm just not sure what to make of any of it. MAC was highly successful in all phases, especially before the injury. After the MN game, I really thought we'd see him get more intermediate or deep "move" targets... but he didn't. I really though we forced too much to Burton, and though most of his routes were simple slot WR routes (which made sense with PC being out). All I know is I want to see more MN type usage for MAC. I'm happy with any use of Granson so long as it doesn't look and feel like the way we used Burton lol. Nothing would surprise me though.

Archived