Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts need Richard Sherman

With the Titans trading for Julio, I think it would be wise to bring in another talented player at corner in Richard Sherman. He is one year removed from making the Pro Bowl in 2019, and would offer insurance in case Rock doesn't improve. You can never have enough CBs, and now even more so with defending both AJ Brown and Julio when facing the Titans. 

Just now, krunk said:

No we dont. Hes not the same player and you must have forgotten Rhodes is on the team. You know theres no way we are having 2 old vets out there.

I would prefer to not have to put Kenny Moore outside too much though, since he is at his best in the slot. So are you counting on Rock to cover AJ Brown or Julio then?

8 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Why not? What could it hurt?

It would probably cost about 6-8m to make a one-year deal with Sherman work. So it would cost us that valuable cap space while also limiting the development of some of the young guys (Rock, Rodgers, Tell). Per PFFs grading Sherman has finished as a top 30 CB only once since 2017, in 2019 as you mentioned. He is also 33 years old. Remember when people on here were dicussing if Xavier Rhodes was too old for a multi-year contract (which turned out to be accurate as he signed another one-year deal)? Sherman is 3 years older. It is bad management to sign once elite talent on the decline for compensation as if they were still in their prime. 

19 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I would prefer to not have to put Kenny Moore outside too much though, since he is at his best in the slot. So are you counting on Rock to cover AJ Brown or Julio then?

First and foremost i think you guys do way too much butt kissing on AJ Brown. Weve played them numerous times with him on the team and he never killed us. Had a good game in the last contest due to Buckner and Autry being out. Dont care anything about his stats. What i care about is how we have handled said player.  Julio changes the dynamic a bit but its certainly not anything Richard Sherman is going to give us a great advantage in at this point in his career. 2ndly we run a zone scheme so theres not a whole bunch of man to man anyway. Theres a lot of mirroring, brackets and keeping % underneath. I think Tell is likely to surpass Rock unless Rock really puts things in high gear this year.  I think overall as a team on both sides of the football weve got enough tools to win as a team.  I look at it from a team perspective. I dont think the Julio aquisition puts them head and shoulders above us. Sherman is still on the market for a reason. 

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

First and foremost i think you guys do way too much butt kissing on AJ Brown. Weve played them numerous times with him on the team and he never killed us. Had a good game in the last contest due to Buckner and Autry being out. Dont care anything about his stats. What i care about is how we have handled said player.  Julio changes the dynamic a bit but its certainly not anything Richard Sherman is going to give us a great advantage in at this point in his career. 2ndly we run a zone scheme so theres not a whole bunch of man to man anyway. Theres a lot of mirroring, brackets and keeping % underneath. I think Tell is likely to surpass Rock unless Rock really puts things in high gear this year.  I think overall as a team on both sides of the football weve got enough tools to win as a team.  I look at it from a team perspective. I dont think the Julio aquisition puts them head and shoulders above us.

I didn't say them getting Julio puts them head and shoulders above us. I don't believe that for a second. But I do think it doesn't hurt to have another quality vet especially after their acquisition. I just don't have faith in Rock right now. 

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I didn't say them getting Julio puts them head and shoulders above us. I don't believe that for a second. But I do think it doesn't hurt to have another quality vet especially after their acquisition. I just don't have faith in Rock right now. 

Theres still Carrie and Tell and who knows what else we will do by the time preseason is over.

A J Brown and Julio Jones at this stage of his career are similar WRs, they go across and are hard to bring down with an arm tackle. With the Titans play action, sending WRs across the field is their ammo that A J Brown has thrived on, which Julio is good as well.

The Titans do take shots off play action and are top 2 in 40+ yard completions, the Julio move will improve that. Their goal is to keep up with KC, IMO. Julio and AJ are too physical for 1 guy to play them 1-on-1 and handle them every time if they are healthy, which is the big IF. We will see how it plays out. So signing any 1 guy (other than maybe Jalen Ramsey) is not going to make a huge difference because we will be playing them in some kind of zone anyways.

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

With the Titans trading for Julio, I think it would be wise to bring in another talented player at corner in Richard Sherman. He is one year removed from making the Pro Bowl in 2019, and would offer insurance in case Rock doesn't improve. You can never have enough CBs, and now even more so with defending both AJ Brown and Julio when facing the Titans. 

Thank God Ballard doesn't listen to or make all the trades and aquistions from this forum. I think the average age of the team would be 38 and we would be 80 million over the cap.

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Thank God Ballard doesn't listen to or make all the trades and aquistions from this forum. I think the average age of the team would be 38 and we would be 80 million over the cap.

Sherman should be pretty cheap by this point in free agency and he would probably take a 1 year deal. 

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Sherman should be pretty cheap by this point in free agency and he would probably take a 1 year deal. 

Trading for or signing older players, because they have been great in the past, that are on the downside of their career is not a good idea.

5 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Tell will cover them

9 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Can we get him from like, four years ago?

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Why are colt fans so scared of Julio. We have beat him before and we have also beat teams with elite wide receivers. I think everyone needs to relax.

Jones wasn't even in line to be WR#1 in ATL this season more than likely.... Also, he's at BEST going to be a wash with all the receiving production they lost.  All they did to offset the losses was bring him in.  He was the best move they could make at this point, but they're asking him to do it all by himself .... Not to mention the mastermind of the offense went to ATL....

1 hour ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Forget about Julio and Brown and just look at how bad Sherman has looked the past 2 years.  He is average from what I have seen when thrown against.  He’s not worthy of a trade in my opinion - regardless of whom we’re playing against.

Trade?

Sherman is a free agent.

Did you mean to say trade, it was that just a misspeak? 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Trade?

Sherman is a free agent.

Did you mean to say trade, it was that just a misspeak? 

Nah, my bad.  For some reason I thought he had 1 more year on his deal.

I just don’t see us needing him if we can get enough pressure up front.  A big “if”, but I would rather keep the money and see what’s behind door #1…. I’m still holding on for Rock to become what we hope he could be.

On 6/7/2021 at 11:31 AM, krunk said:

First and foremost i think you guys do way too much butt kissing on AJ Brown. Weve played them numerous times with him on the team and he never killed us. Had a good game in the last contest due to Buckner and Autry being out. Dont care anything about his stats. What i care about is how we have handled said player.  Julio changes the dynamic a bit but its certainly not anything Richard Sherman is going to give us a great advantage in at this point in his career. 2ndly we run a zone scheme so theres not a whole bunch of man to man anyway. Theres a lot of mirroring, brackets and keeping % underneath. I think Tell is likely to surpass Rock unless Rock really puts things in high gear this year.  I think overall as a team on both sides of the football weve got enough tools to win as a team.  I look at it from a team perspective. I dont think the Julio aquisition puts them head and shoulders above us. Sherman is still on the market for a reason. 

AJ Brown is already top 10 wideout in this league going into year 3.

2 minutes ago, 07dleigh said:

AJ Brown is already top 10 wideout in this league going into year 3.

Doesnt matter. So was TY Hilton everytime we played New England and Pitt but he never did anything in those games. Its all about your plan and what you do against the player. We have always done a pretty good job on him outside of last year when we were missing key members on the D line.

On 6/7/2021 at 12:05 PM, cdgacoltsfan said:

This... times 3000

On 6/7/2021 at 1:05 PM, cdgacoltsfan said:

Just think if we would've traded for Julio, we sign Sherman, and can talk Drew Brees out of retirement to come here we would be a lock for the SB in an all Grandpa League :sarcasm:, I was thinking bring AC back to protect Brees, we may go undefeated doing that Keegan-Michael Key Lol GIF by HULU

I can picture it now, there is at least 4 or 5 people in here that actually would like this friday be like GIF by Red Bull

I'd need to study up on Sherman to have an opinion one way or the other. But he's a not a likable guy (no * though) so I'm amused with the thread burying him.

Less that I wouldn't want a quality vet and more that paying a guy who has a high opinion of his game, when it might not be there now isn't a long term formula. 

On 6/9/2021 at 10:58 AM, krunk said:

Doesnt matter. So was TY Hilton everytime we played New England and Pitt but he never did anything in those games. Its all about your plan and what you do against the player. We have always done a pretty good job on him outside of last year when we were missing key members on the D line.

TY typically got about or over 1/2 of his yards in 4 games. All because Andrew loved the long ball and was more than Jovial taking huge hits waiting for him to get deep. In the Luck years he was Always over targeted at the expense of other open receivers. And Luck had a lot of Int.'s forcing the ball his way.
Luck is sitting at home with Irsay's $$$$ today because of what was his Stupid approach to playing winning FB. Asked to throw quickly underneath (see Rivers) and he soon QUIT!!

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

“Hang em up”?

I think he graded in the mid to upper 70’s last year. 

The guy never had the speed but was consistently one of the best.
He is super smart like other Hall of Fame caliber players and he is long.
Those 2 things don't go away. That he would be as good as or better than Rock... i could see that. If Rock got injured i could definitely see CB being very interested.

17 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'd need to study up on Sherman to have an opinion one way or the other. But he's a not a likable guy (no * though) so I'm amused with the thread burying him.

Less that I wouldn't want a quality vet and more that paying a guy who has a high opinion of his game, when it might not be there now isn't a long term formula. 

I think he is a likable guy - in some of his interviews he is very intelligent and even jokes with people, he just talks a lot of smack on the field. If you can back it up I am fine with that though. He may have 1 good year left (1 that is my opinion) based on he has been a great player in the past but I am not sure?? As of now I look at him as average and he is 33 years old. Hey average doesn't suck at least haha 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Just think if we would've traded for Julio, we sign Sherman, and can talk Drew Brees out of retirement to come here we would be a lock for the SB in an all Grandpa League :sarcasm:, I was thinking bring AC back to protect Brees, we may go undefeated doing that Keegan-Michael Key Lol GIF by HULU

I can picture it now, there is at least 4 or 5 people in here that actually would like this friday be like GIF by Red Bull

Don't forget....we should have signed Trent Williams too!

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think he is a likable guy - in some of his interviews he is very intelligent and even jokes with people, he just talks a lot of smack on the field. If you can back it up I am fine with that though. He may have 1 good year left (1 that is my opinion) based on he has been a great player in the past but I am not sure?? As of now I look at him as average and he is 33 years old. Hey average doesn't suck at least haha 

I think Sherman is going to be hard to grade due to the fact that he's still serviceable, but he benefited from that 9ers pass rush, as corners do.

I really don't know what to pencil in there. Since I can't tell, I'd go with no, but if showed up somewhere and played wall, I guess it wouldn't be a shock. 

I had no clue dum was a *, especially in the context of saying someone isn't, but anyway..

Doesn’t make sense to bring him in, I’d love it though! Imagine what he'd bring to the locker room!

won’t happen but it would be awesome!

I had him on the colts and won the SB with him! Obviously this will absolutely  translate to our team! :p

Go Colts

On 6/11/2021 at 10:27 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sherman is very bright. But if you watched the Niners last season, he was a step slow out there, and its only going to get worse. Not the same guy we all remember. There is a reason he's available. 

On 6/11/2021 at 7:27 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He has a joint podcast show with Cris Collinsworth and they had Frank on a couple months ago. Frank seemed like he was impressed by Richard's football knowledge. It wouldn't hurt to consider bringing him in. 1. We don't know what we're going to get from Rock and Marvin this season. 2. Anyone who think Richard doesn't something left are fooling themselves. He was still a good CB the years he was with the 49ers. He just had some hard luck injuries. If he is 100% healthy and truly committed to continue his career why not? 

1 hour ago, DownHillRunner said:

He has a joint podcast show with Cris Collinsworth and they had Frank on a couple months ago. Frank seemed like he was impressed by Richard's football knowledge. It wouldn't hurt to consider bringing him in. 1. We don't know what we're going to get from Rock and Marvin this season. 2. Anyone who think Richard doesn't something left are fooling themselves. He was still a good CB the years he was with the 49ers. He just had some hard luck injuries. If he is 100% healthy and truly committed to continue his career why not? 

The answer to “why not” is this…. 

Ballard believes his young players.   He clearly wants to give them a chance in the field to succeed or fail.    If you sign Sherman, you’re closing the door on Rock,  Tell and Rogers.   Ballard wants to know what these kids can do.   He’s going to give them their shot.    He’s doing the same at DE, LB and WR.   Give the kids a chance.

The other issue is this….  Sherman isn’t signed solely due to performance.  Sherman graded out pretty well last year.  (Mid to upper 70’s).  Sherman still wants to be paid good money.   He knows he’s not going to get $10 mill-plus, but I’m sure he’d still like mid-range money.  Think Rhodes and his $6.5m.   Right now the numbers he’s being offered are much lower.  Their concerns are age and health. 

Sherman is waiting for a good team to have a key injury and up their offer.   I saw an interview where he says just that.  His time will likely come in August. 

On 6/7/2021 at 10:55 PM, Wentzszn said:

Why are colt fans so scared of Julio. We have beat him before and we have also beat teams with elite wide receivers. I think everyone needs to relax.

This is one of the rare occasions I agree with you. How well did the Texans do against us with Hopkins going against worse Colts Ds.

Maybe it's some revisionist recall on my part, but it always feels like if we get killed by one player in a game it's on the ground.

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The answer to “why not” is this…. 

Ballard believes his young players.   He clearly wants to give them a chance in the field to succeed or fail.    If you sign Sherman, you’re closing the door on Rock,  Tell and Rogers.   Ballard wants to know what these kids can do.   He’s going to give them their shot.    He’s doing the same at DE, LB and WR.   Give the kids a chance.

The other issue is this….  Sherman isn’t signed solely due to performance.  Sherman graded out pretty well last year.  (Mid to upper 70’s).  Sherman still wants to be paid good money.   He knows he’s not going to get $10 mill-plus, but I’m sure he’d still like mid-range money.  Think Rhodes and his $6.5m.   Right now the numbers he’s being offered are much lower.  Their concerns are age and health. 

Sherman is waiting for a good team to have a key injury and up their offer.   I saw an interview where he says just that.  His time will likely come in August. 

I think this is accurate except for the implied suggestion that Sherman would grade out well once again this year. He was a step slow out there last year and it showed. It’s not just $ or waiting for the right situation that is keeping him from getting signed. I agree that any team that does sign him gets a coach on the field…… I just don’t want him to be doing that with the Colts. And as you said, he won’t be. 

Archived