Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Michael strachan is going to be a dawg!!

Rolltide_gocolts

3 hours ago, bleevit said:

I'm not sure we'll find out what Michael can be this year; however, I'm hopeful a year on the practice squad will yield some very positive results for this young man. He does have measurables that warrant some attention by the coaches. Next year the Colts may produce a real diamond in the rough. We'll see.

If he does well in pre season games, he may not be safe on the practice squad.  

He is a long shot for certain.   The only thing that separates him from other long shot WR's we have drafted is his size and speed.  

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, JediXMan said:

Donate Moncrief

Deion Cain

Daurice Fountain

Hopefully he changes the trend.

Here We Go Again GIF by memecandy

Moncrief doesn't fit this and was actually good when playing with healthy luck Cain fountain Carter 

Like with a lot of the big athlete types he's going to need to show improvement in his routes.  I don't like how he rounds things off and this offense is exacting on things like route depth which are hurt by that stuff.  I do like the late round pick very much.  But if he's going to be a dawg it'll come after a year of teams and working his craft.  Hope it happens.  

11 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Every year, there's one lower round or UDFA wideout and/or QB that gets Colts fans super excited. It's not the offseason if this doesn't happen :D

The odds are slim, last one i remember 'hitting' was Pierre Garcon, it's really long odds. Remember that.

The low round WR every year gets Colts fans excited, because outside of Pittman, that's been all we get for WR prospects over the last several years.... Lol

12 hours ago, coming on strong said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/buffalowdown.com/2021/03/20/buffalo-bills-not-draft-wide-receiver-prospect-mike-strachan/amp/.  I keep seeing articles with him at 4.46 40 I found like 30 of them and mike has said it himself in interviews.  

The link is from a fan from fan sided. Like I said, a lot of guys time better in various scenarios. Could have been hand times, could have been years ago when running track. His official time for the draft was 4.54. 

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

The link is from a fan from fan sided. Like I said, a lot of guys time better in various scenarios. Could have been hand times, could have been years ago when running track. His official time for the draft was 4.54. 

I recall in an interview he said he was faster than the time. When he ran for pro day it was after he did bench and other things which usually you see split on different days. I don't think it matters my much but he should be worth keeping an eye on during camp.

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Like I said, a lot of guys time better in various scenarios. Could have been hand times, could have been years ago when running track. His official time for the draft was 4.54. 

Me too, my 40 time was also better in various scenarios...... like if I ran only 20 yards or 25 or 30. Or if I got a Head Start or not. My Best time 40 time was probably when I got a head start and ran only 20 yards......you know, like Jerry(Seinfeld) did when racing against his high school friend. haha

I used to love his black Saab. 

1 hour ago, waka waka said:

When he ran for pro day it was after he did bench and other things which usually you see split on different days. I don't think it matters my much but he should be worth keeping an eye on during camp.

I don't do Bench.....there's never a weight low enough for me to lift. :funny:

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I would love to see a guy come out for his 40 time in a full uniform.  And start from a standing position, like he would in a game.  

18 hours ago, Rolltide_gocolts said:

Again I understand the trepidation !! I just have the same feeling about him that I had about JT week 6.. I told y’all then he would be a Derrick Henry(ish) game wrecker… I got scolded lol!! Let’s just see.. he could fizzle out like the rest, I see him being the play maker in this offense we wanted funches to be 

I will never knock optimism, even when the odds are....not super great.

I hope we have 5 pro-bowl caliber receivers this year.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I would love to see a guy come out for his 40 time in a full uniform.  And start from a standing position, like he would in a game.  

That’s why a guy like Cooper Kupp that plays the slot and understands route concepts at a high level seems always open. Just give me a guy that gets always open in the 10-15 yard range, you can control TOP and get YAC occasionally too.

Our offense truly lacks a #1 option with Reich spreading it around but having different kind of WRs is a must for any good offense nowadays.

18 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That’s why a guy like Cooper Kupp that plays the slot and understands route concepts at a high level seems always open. Just give me a guy that gets always open in the 10-15 yard range, you can control TOP and get YAC occasionally too.

Our offense truly lacks a #1 option with Reich spreading it around but having different kind of WRs is a must for any good offense nowadays.

I hope Campbell can be that guy.  

4 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

More like Luck made that bust look decent. What happened to him since leaving? yeah.

Whatever you want to say about Moncrief I think think this should be clear….

He wasn’t over drafted.   He was projected as a Day 2 player.    We took him in the 90’s, roughly where he was supposed to go.   For whatever reason, he didn’t work out.   But that’s life in the NFL.   This kind of thing happens to all 32 teams.  Some drafted players don’t work out.   Some undrafted players surprise and contribute to the team.

Drafting is an imperfect science.   Moncrief was not a bad choice where we took him.   He just didn’t work out.   Fortunately Zack Pascal has.   Hopefully Patmon does.  Strachan too. 

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He wasn’t over drafted.   He was projected as a Day 2 player.    We took him in the 90’s, roughly where he was supposed to go.   For whatever reason, he didn’t work out.   But that’s life in the NFL.   This kind of thing happens to all 32 teams.  Some drafted players don’t work out.   Some undrafted players surprise and contribute to the team.

Drafting is an imperfect science.   Moncrief was not a bad choice where we took him.   He just didn’t work out.   Fortunately Zack Pascal has.   Hopefully Patmon does.  Strachan too. 

I agree with you . I only took exception with those that said he was a good player which he wasn’t. It’s more of a praise towards Luck as he was unproductive with other teams and QB.

8 hours ago, JediXMan said:

I agree with you . I only took exception with those that said he was a good player which he wasn’t. It’s more of a praise towards Luck as he was unproductive with other teams and QB.

I don't consider moncrief to be in camp with Deon Cain and other guys because he was a day two pick. Cain, fountain, and Carter were different

As a Colts fan, I'm amazed at how our own "fans" can sometimes immediately find fault in the hopes of another for a player.  This kid comes from a D-II school in a state that produces very few NFL prospects.  He TORE it UP at the University of Charleston.  TORE IT UP!  Until he either makes it or breaks it, I'll be supportive and pray he is everything not only he desires to be but, what all Colts fans should want him to be.  

I hope this kid TEARS IT UP for the Colts like he did for UofC. 

Stepping off of the podium and walking away. 

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah, for a late 3 round pick his numbers added up.

2014 - 32 catches

2015 - 64 cathes

2016 - 30 catches (9 games)

2017 - 26 catches (12 games)

I think it's interesting that the scouts compared him to Pierre Garcon, but with size.

Garcon was drafted in 2008 the 5th round from Div III Mount Union.  Averaged over 60 catches, 1,000 yards, and 15 TD's with two consecutive Div III championships.  Garcon was supposed to back up Reggie Wayne, but when Anthony Gonzales got hurt, he wound up starting at the Z.  He experienced moderate success, with two years of 750 yards and his final year at 950 yards.  I remember watching him play.  He wasn't regularly reliable, but would make sporadic amazing catches.  Inevitably, the Washington owner made a free agent offer for him that was far more than what he was worth, and he spent the next five years with them doing what he did for us.  Being pretty darn good, but no pro bowl.

If Michael Strachan has any kind of career similar to Garcon, he will have been well worth the 7th round pick we spent on him.

On 6/7/2021 at 11:17 PM, waka waka said:

I recall in an interview he said he was faster than the time. When he ran for pro day it was after he did bench and other things which usually you see split on different days. I don't think it matters my much but he should be worth keeping an eye on during camp.

It's like scoring TDs in practice. It's nice, but doesn't really count lol. 

Agree on keeping an eye on him. Like I said previously, my gut says he beats out Patmon for a spot on the 53. I haven't looked forward to preseason games like this ever lol.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

It's like scoring TDs in practice. It's nice, but doesn't really count lol. 

Agree on keeping an eye on him. Like I said previously, my gut says he beats out Patmon for a spot on the 53. I haven't looked forward to preseason games like this ever lol.

I don't think he would last on the practice squad.   WR desperate teams would take him.   Just my thought based on not much.  He is only potential, but he is allot of it.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I don't think he would last on the practice squad.   WR desperate teams would take him.   Just my thought based on not much.  He is only potential, but he is allot of it.  

I think your thought thought though is actually based on something. A guy 6-4 or more and running 4.5ish or below is always going to be attractive for teams looking for an X. Not sure if a team has to be WR desperate to take a shot.

That's why I was a bit surprised to see us grab another guy while already having Pittman firmly entrenched, and Patmon in the wings. That tells me they might like him more than some think, or perhaps more than Patmon. I just don't see us keeping three guys that are 6-4 or more at X, especially when you have Pascal at Xish already. 

On 6/8/2021 at 7:48 AM, Smonroe said:

I'm OK with the way the combine is done. Fans just need to realize WRs (or players in general) run different with pads, and in games. One 4.4 guy may still play extremely fast in a game, while another doesn't look near as fast. It's probably more important when we're talking about big/tall guys, and what routes they will likely be asked to run in games. There are plenty of tall guys that can run fast in a straight line on a track, it's different though for a big tall guy to make a cut, or multiple cuts. From an agility perspective, it's just a whole other story as you get taller, or what scheme you're in.

16 hours ago, Myles said:

That's really hard to say, given how precious those last couple of spots are on a 53 man squad. Strachan was a "why not" shot by Ballard.... a guy with great measurables who might just beat out the other unknowns trying to be WR #6. 

My gut tells me Patmon gets the nod, though.  Keeping him on the 53 all last year speaks volumes about what they saw in his potential. I'm guessing/hoping that a year under the belt and ongoing work with the new QB will keep him on the 53 this year, with Strachan going on the PS and not getting snapped up by anyone. A stash for 2022. 

10 minutes ago, Hoose said:

That's really hard to say, given how precious those last couple of spots are on a 53 man squad. Strachan was a "why not" shot by Ballard.... a guy with great measurables who might just beat out the other unknowns trying to be WR #6. 

My gut tells me Patmon gets the nod, though.  Keeping him on the 53 all last year speaks volumes about what they saw in his potential. I'm guessing/hoping that a year under the belt and ongoing work with the new QB will keep him on the 53 this year, with Strachan going on the PS and not getting snapped up by anyone. A stash for 2022. 

It's just hard to say until we see some preseason action.   Maybe the thought was that  they'd draft him in the 7th round and give him a chance to prove himself even if it is a position far from the top of their list.  

On 6/9/2021 at 11:57 AM, joecolts said:

As a Colts fan, I'm amazed at how our own "fans" can sometimes immediately find fault in the hopes of another for a player.  This kid comes from a D-II school in a state that produces very few NFL prospects.  He TORE it UP at the University of Charleston.  TORE IT UP!  Until he either makes it or breaks it, I'll be supportive and pray he is everything not only he desires to be but, what all Colts fans should want him to be.  

I hope this kid TEARS IT UP for the Colts like he did for UofC. 

Stepping off of the podium and walking away. 

Some people are just realistic. The OG poster said he is going to be a “dawg”... Some fans like myself of course, would love to see him become a “dawg”. Dude is gonna have to prove it first. 

He was drafted in the 7th round and played at a DII school. Has a lot to prove. No reason to expect him that he is gonna be the next great Colt.

7 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

Some people are just realistic. The OG poster said he is going to be a “dawg”... Some fans like myself of course, would love to see him become a “dawg”. Dude is gonna have to prove it first. 

He was drafted in the 7th round and played at a DII school. Has a lot to prove. No reason to expect him that he is gonna be the next great Colt.

@bravo4460 I understand your perspective but again, to bust the chops of the original poster for desiring to see this guy or ANY draft pick succeed and "be a dawg" amazes me.  I believe we all agree It's up to this kid to "prove it" but, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being hopeful that he does.  I don't expect this guy to be the next great Colt but I sure hope he is.  Just as I'm hopeful that Wentz will be the 2017 version of himself as opposed to the 2020.    

I guess I just like to balance being realistic with being hopeful and at the same time, supportive.  

22 minutes ago, joecolts said:

@bravo4460 I understand your perspective but again, to bust the chops of the original poster for desiring to see this guy or ANY draft pick succeed and "be a dawg" amazes me.  I believe we all agree It's up to this kid to "prove it" but, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being hopeful that he does.  I don't expect this guy to be the next great Colt but I sure hope he is.  Just as I'm hopeful that Wentz will be the 2017 version of himself as opposed to the 2020.    

I guess I just like to balance being realistic with being hopeful and at the same time, supportive.  

Goal was not to bash the OG poster. Excited to see what kid can do. Just low expectations.

I'd guess every team has drafted a freak project (raw) wideout with size and speed. It's easy to get excited about them until you look at the hit/miss ratio of receivers taken past round 3. As others have said, I'm pulling for the kid. Amazing how many awesome young players don't get drafted or invited to a camp. I do like the pick, all kinds of upside here.

18 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

I'm a bit out of the loop.    What is the definition of a "Dawg"?

I think people are just hoping for a Houshmandzadeh.    

Archived