Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

On 6/6/2021 at 10:25 AM, DownHillRunner said:

It won't matter if our d line can get pressure on Tannehill. This is why Paye was drafted. Ballard knew this team was going to face top offenses this season. The defense is going to have to bring it this year again their offense. 

Sure. Our 4 Dline attacking their Oline with Henry in the back field. Oh and now u have 2 elite wrs. Thank God we have this Tampa 2 defense with our stud corners!!!!  

• Haha 2
  • Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And what is that, MEDIOCRITY? 

People seem to be forgetting that we can’t trade our 1st or 2nd in 2022 because they are tied to the Wentz trade

Not to mention that Jones reportedly wants a new contract.  People seem to keep forgetting this?  There is only so much money to go around, which makes keeping, and hitting on, your draft picks a nece

17 hours ago, Shive said:

While the trade adds a lot of firepower to the Titans' offensive skill group, I think how much this trade means will be largely dictated by 2 factors:

- QB Tannehill: He's one of the best QB's in the league when the PA game is working well, but it was proven that if the run game gets stifled and doesn't open up the PA, he's fairly mediocre. He has a very good deep ball as well, but again, if the PA isn't working he's nowhere near as effective.

PA and RPO success are NOT dependant on run game success. This is a myth that continues to be propagated by NFL people(including our coach), but the data does not agree. PA and RPO work because of the threat of the run game, not because of the success of the run game. 

- OC Todd Downing: He has a pretty great background as a QB coach (largely credited for Derek Carr's best seasons), but when elevated to OC of the Raiders, their offensive production plummeted. He's had a few stints since then and was the Titans' TE coach last season, so he has familiarity with Arthur Smith's system, but it remains to be seen if he can have the same success with the same offense. It kind of makes me think of ATL's offense when Kyle Shanahan left. They brought back almost the exact same offensive players, brought in a new OC and saw their offensive performance nosedive. A bad OC can definitely take a talented offense and run it into the ground.

Yeah, it would be interesting to see what type of offense their new OC will run. With them getting Julio... I even more prefer them sticking with Derrick Henry as the keystone and workhorse of their offense. Julio had 12 yards per target last year. This is freaking bonkers. Notice, this is per target, not per catch... 12 !!! Per TARGET!!! No idea what people are thinking when comparing him to Andre Johnson when he came to us. If Julio is healthy he's a top 5 receiver in the league... If not the best still.

• Like 4

The Colts best bet to win the division is probably an injury to the Titans premiere offensive player (at least on paper). Not rooting for that, if I need to say it. I don't think Ballard has put together a D that's going to stop what the Titans bring on offense and in turn that means most teams don't have a D that's going to stop em' either. 

They're primed for a good year. Their ceiling is going to be dictated by getting some pass rush, because they sucked at that last year.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
16 hours ago, gspdx said:

I could make a similar statement about FAs.  Since good one are expensive, and great ones are very expensive, that would leave him very little room to miss on FAs.  And we see this happen all the time.  Teams pay big money for FAs and it just doesn't have the impact that the team hoped for.  And since so much money it then tied up in those FAs unwinding the mess can set a team back for several years.

Either way, the margin for error is small.

The % of FA that are still with the new team after 2 years is way too low.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

PA and RPO success are NOT dependant on run game success. This is a myth that continues to be propagated by NFL people(including our coach), but the data does not agree. PA and RPO work because of the threat of the run game, not because of the success of the run game. 

Yeah, it would be interesting to see what type of offense their new OC will run. With them getting Julio... I even more prefer them sticking with Derrick Henry as the keystone and workhorse of their offense. Julio had 12 yards per target last year. This is freaking bonkers. Notice, this is per target, not per catch... 12 !!! Per TARGET!!! No idea what people are thinking when comparing him to Andre Johnson when he came to us. If Julio is healthy he's a top 5 receiver in the league... If not the best still.

I don’t think people realize how efficient Tenn offense is. 22nd in passing yards but top 10 in passing touchdowns. Top 5 in terms of passing efficiency for the pass 2 years. Adding Julio already to the best offense in the division is something else. I like how all the people saying he’s out of his prime but still fail to realize in 9 games last season he had better number than any receiver on our team the last 2 years

• Like 2
On 6/6/2021 at 11:36 PM, DEFENSE said:

ballards method has turnned us into a team of dollar general below average average cheap talent other teams in our division have signed elite talent they have improved while we have headed to just average

I truly hate to disagree with a fellow Colts fan, but this just is not true

We have an elite OL, according to the talking heads

We are on the way to having an Elite DL (I think we will be top 15 this year)

We have an elite RB, according to the talking heads

We have an elite LB and DT according to the talking heads

Ballard has said that he will focus his efforts on the defensive line and the offensive line

He has proven that he wont pay for aging stars, history has proven again and again, that is a risky endeavor

At some point, maybe next year we will have a team built to get to the SB, and stay at that high level.

In the VAST majority of cases, the FA approach may improve the team for a short period, but the teams that do it wish the wouldnt have later

We are going to have a better team than last year.

That's a great trend

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
24 minutes ago, The Fish said:

The Colts best bet to win the division is probably an injury to the Titans premiere offensive player (at least on paper). Not rooting for that, if I need to say it. I don't think Ballard has put together a D that's going to stop what the Titans bring on offense and in turn that means most teams don't have a D that's going to stop em' either. 

They're primed for a good year. Their ceiling is going to be dictated by getting some pass rush, because they sucked at that last year.

The Titans appear better on paper....  But..... we have a really good team. 

If we can run the ball and we can rush the passer we can beat the Titans

Even with a full healthy Titans team

We shouldnt just throw in the towel here folks

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I truly hate to disagree with a fellow Colts fan, but this just is not true

We have an elite OL, according to the talking heads

We are on the way to having an Elite DL (I think we will be top 15 this year)

We have an elite RB, according to the talking heads

We have an elite LB and DT according to the talking heads

Ballard has said that he will focus his efforts on the defensive line and the offensive line

He has proven that he wont pay for aging stars, history has proven again and again, that is a risky endeavor

At some point, maybe next year we will have a team built to get to the SB, and stay at that high level.

In the VAST majority of cases, the FA approach may improve the team for a short period, but the teams that do it wish the wouldnt have later

5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

We are going to have a better team than last year.

That's a great trend

We have many young players on D that need game experience playing together. It is just the way it is. Willis & Blackmon, playing more and more together should begin to play faster and faster, and smarter. And it holds true for everyone on D. Things speed up with experience. 
 Can only laugh at the Clowns that Ignore the obvious as to our Colts are not standing still but are trajecting upwards.
 The same is true for our young receivers. They have very good physical talent and we should believe good coaching. They learn to do THEIR job and Wentz can spread the ball around to 7,8, 9 guys a game. He did that at a very high level before, and there is no reason not to expect that considering our line and running game. 
 Most teams should have all they can handle trying to out score us.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

That's why they play the game!

I got ya, I don't think it's set in stone, just on paper, in June. We'll see.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Couldn't agree more. Tennessee is still a flawed team. They have serious questions at getting a consistent pass rush, uncertainty at corner, and a downgrade at Offensive Coordinator after losing Arthur Smith, who was the mastermind in getting Tannehill and Henry back on track. 

• Like 1

Titans don’t really have good depth at WR, TE, RB, not to mention they basically have a totally new defense. They’ll still be contenders but this trade doesn’t put them above Chiefs, Bills.  Still in tier 2 (Ravens, Browns, Colts).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

We have no proven edge rushers on the roster, not even one

Ok, maybe fair statement, BUT

Pass rush comes up the middle as well as on the ends.......

Some people had Kwitty Paye going in top 15, I think he will contribute day 1......  

Dayo was supposed to be a round 1 DE before injury.

So.... we added 2 talented DEs, will they be 20 sack guys?...... 

Turay showed flashes near the end of last year, and Lewis had his best year yet

Anything could happen, but I think we will get better as people get healthy and on the field

Half full glass my friend........  Half full....

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

Titans don’t really have good depth at WR, TE, RB, not to mention they basically have a totally new defense. They’ll still be contenders but this trade doesn’t put them above Chiefs, Bills.  Still in tier 2 (Ravens, Browns, Colts).

They're clearly counting on the top shelf players making up for depth, hence the injury bug is the question mark they'll face this year. If Henry and Brown and Jones are all clicking and Tannehill is playing well enough, they're as good as any team in the AFC not called the Chiefs, at least on offense. It's not hard to see them breaking out of that guesstimated second tier.

And there's where Rodgers goes. That'll shift the power balance on paper again. 

(I see Bowen just dropped a podcast with coach... off to check that out..)

17 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I fail to see how you think we have good receivers. I think we have definite problems there and if there any injuries, those problems will be very real. Here is an idea what others think of our receivers:

Pro Football Focus ranked the Colts' pass catchers at No. 24 in its positional rankings, slotting in between the New England Patriots at No. 25 and the Jacksonville Jaguars at No. 23. 

What PFF thinks of Frank's weapons matters ZERO to me.
    I think i have a reasonable understanding how he attacks a D.
   To start i am very high on Pascal and Hines development. Two really effective weapons. Pittman came along well and should be expected to get 1% better (every day) and be solid. Not concerned in the least that won't happen. Campbell has been in the offense long enough to be a playmaker from game one. Not worried about that at all.
TY won't be a Big factor but should be good at attacking zones and making first downs and some TD's near the goal line. There is no reason Patmon won't be able to begin to make plays. Frank will have a package for him, i have no doubt. Dulin has great speed and had some nice catches. He isn't a Nothing. And he has competition for his spot all informed agree.
 Granson style of play and college experience makes me believe he will contribute from game one. Doyle is solid attacking zones, and Mo Allie is ok too.
  Jonathon Taylor is a playmaker in the passing game, Mack makes some plays, and so does Wilkins. And there is rookie RB people are high on for depth.
  We have plenty of options to build a very good passing game. PLENTY!!
Not concerned about it One Bit!!!!

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

What PFF thinks of Frank's weapons matters ZERO to me.
    I think i have a reasonable understanding how he attacks a D.
   To start i am very high on Pascal and Hines development. Two really effective weapons. Pittman came along well and should be expected to get 1% better (every day) and be solid. Not concerned in the least that won't happen. Campbell has been in the offense long enough to be a playmaker from game one. Not worried about that at all.
TY won't be a Big factor but should be good at attacking zones and making first downs and some TD's near the goal line. There is no reason Patmon won't be able to begin to make plays. Frank will have a package for him, i have no doubt. Dulin has great speed and had some nice catches. He isn't a Nothing. And he has competition for his spot all informed agree.
 Granson style of play and college experience makes me believe he will contribute from game one. Doyle is solid attacking zones, and Mo Allie is ok too.
  Jonathon Taylor is a playmaker in the passing game, Mack makes some plays, and so does Wilkins. And there is rookie RB people are high on for depth.
  We have plenty of options to build a very good passing game. PLENTY!!
Not concerned about it One Bit!!!!

You will be after a game or two. This is a very lackluster group and I expect that our QB will struggle trying to do much with them. He wouldn't have that trouble with Julio.

Us continuing to be a playoff team next season requires a massive amount of projection and assuming that young guys in multiple position groups will step up, there's no doubt about it. 

I just can't get with people forgetting that about us but then criticizing the Titans for getting a proven top receiver. It's just not logical. 

21 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

You will be after a game or two. This is a very lackluster group and I expect that our QB will struggle trying to do much with them. He wouldn't have that trouble with Julio.

How did our QB do with this lackluster group last year?  When Pittman and Taylor were rookies?  Mack and PC went out early? 

Not saying that has completely changed but Rivers threw for 4169 yards and 68% completion.  Any reason Wentz can't do that?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

Us continuing to be a playoff team next season requires a massive amount of projection and assuming that young guys in multiple position groups will step up, there's no doubt about it. 

I just can't get with people forgetting that about us but then criticizing the Titans for getting a proven top receiver. It's just not logical. 

Every team needs young guys to step up each year.

As far as the Titans I would say Julio might be a great move for them.  I personally am not interested in giving up draft picks and lots of money for a guy that is getting old.  Just personal preference.  I could be completely wrong but I don't see him making us a SB contender.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gspdx said:

How did our QB do with this lackluster group last year?  When Pittman and Taylor were rookies?  Mack and PC went out early? 

Not saying that has completely changed but Rivers threw for 4169 yards and 68% completion.  Any reason Wentz can't do that?

That won't be good enough to be a Super Bowl Contender and Tennessee just got a whole lot better. We let our edge rushers go and replaced them with draft picks one of which may not even play next year. How do you think that will go. The answer to your question is that I don't expect Wentz and this core of receivers to do that well. Mack may not play either. Wentz was the worst starting QB in the NFL last year. You are expecting a massive leap. I sure hope you are right and I will be rooting right with you but that receiver group is way below par.

On 6/7/2021 at 8:18 AM, luv_pony_express said:

He may be out of his prime.  But check his per game and per target stats from last season.  They were still comfortably in elite territory.

He also had Calvin Ridley along side of him, who if I am not mistaken was also a top 5 WR last year, is still young and in my opinion is one of the best route runners in the NFL.

Julio is still good, but after 30 injuries really start to nag you and anyone who thinks a 2nd rounder is a throw away pick is a stooge. You're not going to get 10 years of production out of that pick lol, there isn't even the potential for it. Bottom line Tennessee lost a lot on the offensive side of the ball last year and I just see this as a desperate move by them.

2 hours ago, gspdx said:

Top 10 in yards, but 23rd in TDs

On 6/7/2021 at 10:06 AM, BProland85 said:

Ballard needs to go out and sign CB Richard Sherman. Would be a low cost, high reward player, and is only 1 year removed from having a Pro Bowl season in 2019. Rock can't be fully counted on yet. 

He’s a C3 guy.

7 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Ok, maybe fair statement, BUT

Pass rush comes up the middle as well as on the ends.......

Some people had Kwitty Paye going in top 15, I think he will contribute day 1......  

Dayo was supposed to be a round 1 DE before injury.

So.... we added 2 talented DEs, will they be 20 sack guys?...... 

Turay showed flashes near the end of last year, and Lewis had his best year yet

Anything could happen, but I think we will get better as people get healthy and on the field

Half full glass my friend........  Half full....

I don’t thank anyone including the Colts FO expects Paye to contribute much in the pass rush this year if ever really.  He’smore of a  clowney type guy.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
43 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I don’t thank anyone including the Colts FO expects Paye to contribute much in the pass rush this year if ever really.  He’smore of a  clowney type guy.

Did I read this post correctly?

You don’t think anyone in the Colts front office thinks Paye is going to be much of a contributor in the pass rush this year (and for good measure you added…). 

IF EVER?!?

Did you really write that?   Did you really INTEND to write that?  

SERIOUSLY?!? 

12 hours ago, Nickster said:

I truly hate to disagree with another Colts fan, but did you read what you posted?

This front office FULLY EXPECTS Paye to contribute as a pass rusher this year and in the future

The Michigan defense expected Paye to read then react

Think start, stop, then get going, In our defense he charges ahead right from the snap

Will he get 20 sacks? I dont think so

Will he get 10 sacks and 20 pressures?   I think he will... maybe even this year

He has low 4.6 speed, and incredibly strong ..... he will be a handful to block

14 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

That won't be good enough to be a Super Bowl Contender and Tennessee just got a whole lot better. We let our edge rushers go and replaced them with draft picks one of which may not even play next year. How do you think that will go. The answer to your question is that I don't expect Wentz and this core of receivers to do that well. Mack may not play either. Wentz was the worst starting QB in the NFL last year. You are expecting a massive leap. I sure hope you are right and I will be rooting right with you but that receiver group is way below par.

Just curious.... Are you a Colts fan?

15 hours ago, gspdx said:

Every team needs young guys to step up each year.

Yep!  Agree 100%

14 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

They actually didn't get a whole a lot better, they let Davis walk and signed Jones - production wise that is about even, I posted this on another thread.  A lot depends on how good Wentz will be, nobody really knows.

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Did I read this post correctly?

You don’t think anyone in the Colts front office thinks Paye is going to be much of a contributor in the pass rush this year (and for good measure you added…). 

IF EVER?!?

Did you really write that?   Did you really INTEND to write that?  

SERIOUSLY?!? 

Yes.  Like clowney is what I said. 

56 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I truly hate to disagree with another Colts fan, but did you read what you posted?

This front office FULLY EXPECTS Paye to contribute as a pass rusher this year and in the future

The Michigan defense expected Paye to read then react

Think start, stop, then get going, In our defense he charges ahead right from the snap

Will he get 20 sacks? I dont think so

Will he get 10 sacks and 20 pressures?   I think he will... maybe even this year

He has low 4.6 speed, and incredibly strong ..... he will be a handful to block

I would be shocked if he was a big sacker this year.  A better way to say what I am trying to say is that I don’t think he’s going to be an elite sacker of the QB, but will almost certainly be stout against the run and have pressures.  

he might end up being a big sack guy, but I don’t think that’s how he is projected.

the dude had 11 sacks in 4 years.  Yeah they have him playing knockemback on a lot of downs, but 11 sacks doesn’t scream NFL sack guy.

so that is what I meant to say.  Probably not going to be a big sack guy, probably going to be a good player, almost certainly won’t be a big sack guy this year.

35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They actually didn't get a whole a lot better, they let Davis walk and signed Jones - production wise that is about even, I posted this on another thread.  A lot depends on how good Wentz will be, nobody really knows.

Davis and Jones production are dissimilar to put it mildly.  I guess if you only look at yds in 2020 and nothing else including 7 missed games then they are even production.

come on man

• Like 1
On 6/7/2021 at 9:44 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Sure. Our 4 Dline attacking their Oline with Henry in the back field. Oh and now u have 2 elite wrs. Thank God we have this Tampa 2 defense with our stud corners!!!!  

You don’t need stud corners in T2.  

17 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Davis and Jones production are dissimilar to put it mildly.  I guess if you only look at yds in 2020 and nothing else including 7 missed games then they are even production.

come on man

You can come up with something better than that lmao . Davis missed 2 games. He played 5 more games and I posted the stats on the Leonard thread that explains everything including games played. I bet Davis has a better year statistically with a rookie QB on the Jets than Jones does, care to bet? Getting rid of Davis was stupid to put it bluntly so they had to do something, Keyshaw Johnson agrees with me and he loves Jones. I think Johnson knows a thing or 2 about WR's since he was one and he was good and won a SB.

14 hours ago, runthepost said:

Top 10 in yards, but 23rd in TDs

It comes down to red zone play execution, which we know we have to improve on, and once we stop running Hines down the middle (Mack being healthy should help) and make a few other tweaks, no reason we cannot be Top 10 there too.

TN's red zone play calling and TD % execution orchestrated by Arthur Smith was top notch last year, they were Top 2 in the league 2 years straight in that category. No wonder he became the HC of the Falcons.

• Like 1
On 6/7/2021 at 10:44 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Gotta laugh at your slack-jawed point.
 1) Teams play primarily 2 deep on passing downs.
 2) Stud corners are few and far between
 3) Stud corners are not a requisite for Tampa 2
 4) How good our back SEVEN is at coverage and how effective our front four are at pressuring the QB will determine how the TEAM does defenseivly.
 We were more than effective last year with very inexperienced safeties.
Walker was an easy target for 7 yards and he is gone. Let's look Forward to what progress our young players make. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Gotta laugh at your slack-jawed point.
 1) Teams play primarily 2 deep on passing downs.
 2) Stud corners are few and far between
 3) Stud corners are not a requisite for Tampa 2
 4) How good our back SEVEN is at coverage and how effective our front four are at pressuring the QB will determine how the TEAM does defenseivly.
 We were more than effective last year with very inexperienced safeties.
Walker was an easy target for 7 yards and he is gone. Let's look Forward to what progress our young players make. 

It's like talking to a brick wall when talking to him but he is entertaining :thmup:

46 minutes ago, Nickster said:

come on man

If Jones was 3 or 4 years younger I would be scared then and label this a great move. After 30 most WR's decline, Moss had a great career year at the age of 30, at 32 he had a good year and was done after that. Jerry Rice and Marvin Harrison were great for a longer amount of time so anything is possible I guess. I just brought up probably the 3 greatest WR's in NFL history though.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Corey Davis is not Julio Jones. 14 games of production isn’t the same as 9 games. Julio is more likely to play 13-15 games this season. His stat line will probably be 90+ receptions 1400-1500 yards and 8TDs. Davis won’t get over 800 yards.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Corey Davis is not Julio Jones. 14 games of production isn’t the same as 9 games. Julio is more likely to play 13-15 games this season. His stat line will probably be 90+ receptions 1400-1500 yards and 8TDs. Davis won’t get over 800 yards.

Davis will have over 1000 and easily, 800 lmao and that is with a rookie throwing him the ball. Julio won't come close to 1400 yards, they are a run first offense. Julio may have around 1000 and it was a good pickup for the Titans but quit acting like the dude is 28 years old and Randy Moss.