Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Julio to the Titans (MERGE)

1 hour ago, Lancer1 said:

This I agree with, but I think our trio can produce similar results

Not last season they weren't: https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/receiving/2020/REG/all/receivingreceptions/desc

That's debatable, after all Carson has a SB ring and Ryan doesn't, despite having played 4 years longer.

Concur

Receptions isn’t a point to make for judging a receiver. AJ Brown is a top 15 receiver and I’m sure you can’t name 5 receivers better than Julio. Also Wentz won a ring on the bench so that doesn’t count as winning a ring by playing

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

That remains to be seen, especially if Carson can regain his prior form and our rushing attack is effective enough to command defensive attention from opponents – if those 2 things happen, our wideouts can really clean up and we could end up with a duo as successful as Swann & Stallworth, Irvin & Harper, Duper & Clayton, Rice & Taylor or Harrison & Wayne.

Like the confidence but that’s pushing it. Top 15 in the league is more realistic 

4 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

You think things will be different in 2023??  :funny:

Seriously though, except for having a possible very good QB fall in our lap, which is huge, our off season was ho hum to say the least. Many thought or at least hoped that a couple playmakers added along with Wentz would have possibly put us in position to challenge the conference's best. 

Instead, the conference and division is getting better by the minute while we're just hoping to just stay in neutral. 

good post telling the truth

11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

This makes the Titans the clear favorite in the South.   We will have trouble covering him and A J Brown twice a year not to mention Henry.  You have to give them credit the are going all in.  We have to hope Campbell can stay healthy and deliver in a big way.  I think Reich and Ballard made their choice and are awaiting for another familiar weapon to be released Ertz.

That is not the case according to the sites I see that take bets. Brovada still has the colts slightly favored over the Titans and Carbon has the Colts 5/6 and Tenn 3/2 to win the division. Let's check in a a few days and see if it changes any but as of now , they are nowhere near "clear favorites."

I would not have traded a 3rd rounder for him or his contract. Especially not with the Colts doing what they are doing right now. Nobody is scared of the Titans TE room, so they have 3 options, Jones, Brown and Henry. All their money on defense is locked up in Dupree right now too lol. Bad bad bad move.

11 hours ago, Les Poulains said:

I'm not pooing on the organization here because it was quite obvious this wasn't really a possible move for us, but this is the type of gutsy move you do if you want to give yourself a chance to win. Even as unrealistic as getting Julio was, I almost wanted it to happen just so the people ridiculously putting this move down as not "Ballard-like" would have to do an about face and call it his most genius move ever. 

Let's not do the thing where this is a bad move because the Titans made it, it's not. Julio at 32 years old is still a very fine player. Also, people talking about the Titans defense, this has nothing to do with their defense so I'm not sure what the relevance is, really. They got a very good player, period.

I think the Titans improved their defense this offseason.    Good D draft picks and some free agent signings.

11 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If I were a GM, I sure would hope to have a winning record and at least one division title after 4 seasons. 

Yea.. the thing here that I'm not sure a lot on here aren't getting is that at some point you can't just keep on building for the future. At some point the future HAS to become now. That's why I said I thought this organization really were focused on just doing things to keep their jobs. I mean Ballard says after every year..."It's time to get back to work". I know what he means, but it's telling and I think everyone who seems to be enamored by his every word should really listen to that and apply it to how this front office operates. 

Maybe the Colts will finally push hard for the title this year, I mean in all seriousness this team should have beaten the Bills last year however no one can know really if that was due to the Colts having the talent and just missed out in a couple key moments or if the Bills played a little tentative being as it was their first true playoff experience, i.e. nerves. 

I don't know. What I do know is these "trust the plan, trust the man" subscribers on here better start realizing that the rest of the league is not going to just wait for us until we are ready to compete for real and therein lies the problem I see on this forum with some fans. Some are happy to wait this out like a suspenseful movie and some are happy with the suspense as long as there are real clues along the way that seems to be leading to a desired ending. 

I just don't want this to turn into the movie where we "the good guys" are chasing the "criminal trophy" through a clustered kitchen in a seedy neighborhood, never just firing ALL of our bullets out of fear of being cautious in the surroundings, only to always end up running into a stainless table right when we thought we had that trophy nabbed. If we really want to nab that trophy it's time to take it with some show of force instead of just hoping we catch it in a safe and cautious manner.

That's a movie WE all have seen countless times before. Some of us can see that, some of us won't look at it that way. 

17 hours ago, coming on strong said:

why would you want the colts to give up a 2nd round pick and a 5th for a 33 year old wr .  julio has been going down hill he missed 7 games last year and is out of his prime .    this is like the colts getting andre johnson in 2015  it did not change anything .   ballard best picks are in the second round he hits so often why turn down a  young guy who could be a  star for ten years for a out of prime older  wr .   they have to pay him 15 million this year and lose a second rounder .    titans lost two very good weapons in jonu and davis so they will be around the same if not worse when julio body gives out

He may be out of his prime.  But check his per game and per target stats from last season.  They were still comfortably in elite territory.

• Shive changed the title to Julio to the Titans (MERGE)

I say we counter this move with signing Richard Sherman.  We need corner competition more than WR competition.  We also need flexibility Incase Wentz doesn't work out.  Would be reckless to get Julio and that investment without knowing for sure which Wentz we aquired  

Yep - going to the Titans isn't ideal, but I'm still OK with us not going after him.

Also, if we can't beat the Titans - even with Julio - then what do we do about the other elite teams in the AFC?  

31 minutes ago, Shepman said:

I say we counter this move with signing Richard Sherman.  We need corner competition more than WR competition.  We also need flexibility Incase Wentz doesn't work out.  Would be reckless to get Julio and that investment without knowing for sure which Wentz we aquired  

I was really hoping we would bring in Bashaud Breeland to compete at corner but he signed with the Vikings last week.  I have my doubts Sherman could keep up with Brown and Julio now though.  So Sherman doesn’t do much for me at this stage.

14 hours ago, Nickster said:

What makes you say this?

Lots of Colts fans think this. One of the guys on Locked on Colts said the Colts have the best DL in the NFL LOL.

Last season, they had a great start and still finished #7 in team defense DVOA.

But there was an almost night and day difference between the 1st half of the season and the 2nd half of the season. Fans love to talk about how Taylor's 5 game stretch to end the season. But then almost nobody talks about an entire last half season sample for the defense. 

First 8 games: 206 passing yard/game, 63% completion, 10/11 TD/INT, 76 passer rating, 20 sacks, 3.3 rushing yards/attempt, 6 rushing TDs

Last 8 games: 277 passing yard/game, 68% completion, 14/4 TD/INT, 98 passer rating, 20 sacks, 4.1 rushing yards/attempt, 10 rushing TDs

So the sacks stayed the same, yet the defense regressed majorly. I know there were a COVID game where a couple of players were out, but which defense is the real Colts defense?

We know the run defense is a strength. But the pass defense was very questionable in that stretch. They still finished 8th in pass defense DVOA for the season, but their stats over the last half of the season are much more in line with a bottom 8 team (like CAR).

And while we can dream on Paye and Dayo, they are still rookies (one of which is recovering from an Achilles tear).

2 hours ago, Indeee said:

Yea.. the thing here that I'm not sure a lot on here aren't getting is that at some point you can't just keep on building for the future. At some point the future HAS to become now. That's why I said I thought this organization really were focused on just doing things to keep their jobs. I mean Ballard says after every year..."It's time to get back to work". I know what he means, but it's telling and I think everyone who seems to be enamored by his every word should really listen to that and apply it to how this front office operates. 

Maybe the Colts will finally push hard for the title this year, I mean in all seriousness this team should have beaten the Bills last year however no one can know really if that was due to the Colts having the talent and just missed out in a couple key moments or if the Bills played a little tentative being as it was their first true playoff experience, i.e. nerves. 

I don't know. What I do know is these "trust the plan, trust the man" subscribers on here better start realizing that the rest of the league is not going to just wait for us until we are ready to compete for real and therein lies the problem I see on this forum with some fans. Some are happy to wait this out like a suspenseful movie and some are happy with the suspense as long as there are real clues along the way that seems to be leading to a desired ending. 

I just don't want this to turn into the movie where we "the good guys" are chasing the "criminal trophy" through a clustered kitchen in a seedy neighborhood, never just firing ALL of our bullets out of fear of being cautious in the surroundings, only to always end up running into a stainless table right when we thought we had that trophy nabbed. If we really want to nab that trophy it's time to take it with some show of force instead of just hoping we catch it in a safe and cautious manner.

That's a movie WE all have seen countless times before. Some of us can see that, some of us won't look at it that way. 

I don't think I have ever seen that particular movie. But I agree that the hero worship for Ballard is bizarre at times. 

It's funny watching the Colts and Titans fans go back and forth about who the paper favorite should be, but it's going to be a dogfight in the AFCS

3 hours ago, Myles said:

I think the Titans improved their defense this offseason.    Good D draft picks and some free agent signings.

I agree. I think some people might be very surprised at their defense.

It's also funny how people talk about all the "losses" on defense this offseason...and then talk about how it was such a bad defense last year. So what do those losses matter than? And perhaps they weren't really losses then...and perhaps their replacements are upgrades.

They are turning over 6/11 starters on defense...and hired Jim Schwartz. We don't really have any idea how they will look next season. 

9 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Lots of Colts fans think this. One of the guys on Locked on Colts said the Colts have the best DL in the NFL LOL.

Last season, they had a great start and still finished #7 in team defense DVOA.

But there was an almost night and day difference between the 1st half of the season and the 2nd half of the season. Fans love to talk about how Taylor's 5 game stretch to end the season. But then almost nobody talks about an entire last half season sample for the defense. 

First 8 games: 206 passing yard/game, 63% completion, 10/11 TD/INT, 76 passer rating, 20 sacks, 3.3 rushing yards/attempt, 6 rushing TDs

Last 8 games: 277 passing yard/game, 68% completion, 14/4 TD/INT, 98 passer rating, 20 sacks, 4.1 rushing yards/attempt, 10 rushing TDs

So the sacks stayed the same, yet the defense regressed majorly. I know there were a COVID game where a couple of players were out, but which defense is the real Colts defense?

We know the run defense is a strength. But the pass defense was very questionable in that stretch. They still finished 8th in pass defense DVOA for the season, but their stats over the last half of the season are much more in line with a bottom 8 team (like CAR).

And while we can dream on Paye and Dayo, they are still rookies (one of which is recovering from an Achilles tear).

Interesting comparison on the defense.  If I remember correctly Blackmon started out fast but hit a wall in the second half of the season.  Rock had a hard time in the second half as well.  Maybe Houston started to feel his age near the end of the season as well.  Hopefully Paye can make himself known as a rookie and the secondary makes significant strides.  That seems to be the plan.

10 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I don't think I have ever seen that particular movie. But I agree that the hero worship for Ballard is bizarre at times. 

It's funny watching the Colts and Titans fans go back and forth about who the paper favorite should be, but it's going to be a dogfight in the AFCS

I've always thought that it is much easier to improve a bad team to a good team, than a good team (Colts currently) into a great team. 

We saw this from 2011 to 2012. We went from a bad team to a good team in a single year, and kept improving into a good team all the way through 2014. And then we went backwards.

Ballard has stepped in and has taken his time turning the Colts back into a good team. We've yet to see a division championship, much less any greatness. My fear is that Ballard will continuously produce a good team with his strategy. I don't see greatness coming.

7 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Ballard needs to go out and sign CB Richard Sherman. Would be a low cost, high reward player, and is only 1 year removed from having a Pro Bowl season in 2019. Rock can't be fully counted on yet. 

Sherman is 33 years old.  I don’t think he could cover Brown or Julio on a deep ball now.  Hopefully Rhodes can still do it.

19 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I've always thought that it is much easier to improve a bad team to a good team, than a good team (Colts currently) into a great team. 

We saw this from 2011 to 2012. We went from a bad team to a good team in a single year, and kept improving into a good team all the way through 2014. And then we went backwards.

Ballard has stepped in and has taken his time turning the Colts back into a good team. We've yet to see a division championship, much less any greatness. My fear is that Ballard will continuously produce a good team with his strategy. I don't see greatness coming.

Ballard sucks because he couldn't win the division with jacoby as his QB.
11 wins last year and Ballard sucked again. You guys are so full of baloney.
  It is Easy to see all the very young Talent he has on the roster.
 A FB novice might Not understand that SB caliber teams need A LOT of really good players that have 3,4, 5 + years of experience with a lot of that playing together. Once you get that and have your own young guys developing as backups and future starters you can Hopefully win these close games playing more consistent, more mistake free FB.
 And now Another QB. All things considered we are Blessed to get Carson.
  We are getting close with our talent level, but still too young.
 Would think this is another knock on the door season because we have all these guys that are 2nd & 3rd year players that Must make a jump and of course our rookies that won't be exactly rookies come December.
 I Love we our roster talent is today, where we are cap wise. We are poised to be among the best very soon. Possibly this season.
 It is a Rock solid plan we are on.

9 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Ballard sucks because he couldn't win the division with jacoby as his QB.
11 wins last year and Ballard sucked again. You guys are so full of baloney.
  It is Easy to see all the very young Talent he has on the roster.
 A FB novice might Not understand that SB caliber teams need A LOT of really good players that have 3,4, 5 + years of experience with a lot of that playing together. Once you get that and have your own young guys developing as backups and future starters you can Hopefully win these close games playing more consistent, more mistake free FB.
 And now Another QB. All things considered we are Blessed to get Carson.
  We are getting close with our talent level, but still too young.
 Would think this is another knock on the door season because we have all these guys that are 2nd & 3rd year players that Must make a jump and of course our rookies that won't be exactly rookies come December.
 I Love we our roster talent is today, where we are cap wise. We are poised to be among the best very soon. Possibly this season.
 It is a Rock solid plan we are on.

I don't think the argument that I am making is a claim that Ballard "sucks." I don't think that.

He has added talent, and as I had said, he has taken a bad team and turned it into a good team. But his approach, (mainly build through the draft and sparingly through trades or FA) leaves him very little room to miss on draft picks, and thus, a long build. There is potential that with this approach the Colts will always be a good team, like last year's team, but never a great team. 

19 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Sherman is 33 years old.  I don’t think he could cover Brown or Julio on a deep ball now.  Hopefully Rhodes can still do it.

With or without Sherman we will be forced to play mostly 2 deep safeties against likes of Tennessee. That creates run defense issues of course.
 No getting around it that Carson is gonna have to play some really good FB for us to beat good teams. 

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

With or without Sherman we will be forced to play mostly 2 deep safeties against likes of Tennessee. That creates run defense issues of course.
 No getting around it that Carson is gonna have to play some really good FB for us to beat good teams. 

Depends on the routes. If they play off, you could roll a coverage LB underneath for crossing routes. Plus, you could also play 3 safeties against a team like the Titans. 

8 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I don't think the argument that I am making is a claim that Ballard "sucks." I don't think that.

He has added talent, and as I had said, he has taken a bad team and turned it into a good team. But his approach, (mainly build through the draft and sparingly through trades or FA) leaves him very little room to miss on draft picks, and thus, a long build. There is potential that with this approach the Colts will always be a good team, like last year's team, but never a great team. 

Ballard has made two of the most, if not the most Monumental Trades in the NFL the last 2 seasons. Extraordinary moves really considering what they add to the cause. Any team that doesn't draft well and develop their players well are destined for mediocrity. I can't look at our roster and believe that is to be anticipated. We are rising and the potential is there.

27 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Depends on the routes. If they play off, you could roll a coverage LB underneath for crossing routes. Plus, you could also play 3 safeties against a team like the Titans. 

They used little Rogers some to help with deep coverages.
He has the speed to stay with anyone. We can watch for his use perhaps as more of a safety at times.

1 hour ago, Flash7 said:

It definitely is much easier to improve from a bad team to a good team...than a good team to a great team. Where do those improvements come from? For the Colts, it's the offense (and QB).

But what if you are a good team that was held back by a bad defense? It's also not all that difficult to improve from a bad defense to a decent defense, especially when you have the offense in place. And considering they were already a good team, perhaps that improvement on defense is what will take them to being a great team. And then you add a guy like Julio to an offense that was already top 5.

That is my worry with TEN next year...and why I think people are underestimating them (especially after they won the AFCS last season).

Ballard has this team going in a good direction for sure. But QB will decide how great this team is.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Interesting comparison on the defense.  If I remember correctly Blackmon started out fast but hit a wall in the second half of the season.  Rock had a hard time in the second half as well.  Maybe Houston started to feel his age near the end of the season as well.  Hopefully Paye can make himself known as a rookie and the secondary makes significant strides.  That seems to be the plan.

I am sure there are several factors like SOS. Obviously, there's wear and tear over the course of a season too...and older players that slow down.

But if that is the case, then how can we say that Taylor's production wasn't due to that as well...especially with teams that were just playing out the string in a lost season.

Regardless, it's not like that is going to go away anytime soon (especially with an extra game on the schedule now). Having younger guys should help, however, those rookies only played a handful of games last season...so the rookie wall is probably going to be a factor for many rookies next season. Depth will be key...so let's hope guys like Turay and Banogu can make an impact.

There are also adjustments from other teams too. Maybe Blackmon hit the rookie wall, OR maybe other teams identified a weakness in his pass coverage game and figured out how to exploit it. Similarly with others in pass coverage. Because it wasn't just one guy in the second half of last season. Rhodes, Carrie and Willis were steady, but everybody else seemed to have their own  share of coverage challenges, including Leonard and Moore.

I think the Colts have a good defense...not worried about that. But I am worried about HOW good it is, based on what we saw last season. And I think it's way premature to make any arguments about it being the best in the NFL.

Julio Jones signing is an upgrade for the Titans, but I'm skeptical of those who say the Titans are headed to the Super Bowl because of this. (Many Titans' fans feel that way.) If that's true, why hasn't Atlanta won a Super Bowl when he was with them? Julio Jones isn't the main player; the Titans still have their defense to work out. 

23 hours ago, ColtJax said:

Point is, he's expensive, I know. But he's also the guy that could have opened our offense up wide. The Titans are far more tight on the cap than we are, and they already had AJ Brown. He'd be worth giving 2023 2nd and 2022 4th or even 3rd if needed.

We have plenty of weapons for a really good offense.
You beat this horse to death when the re-signing of fan & Irsay favorite TY Ended any further consideration for Julio. They had time to consider Julio and said no. We would have lost numerous good players and draft pics to get him. We are FINE.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Ballard has made two of the most, if not the most Monumental Trades in the NFL the last 2 seasons. Extraordinary moves really considering what they add to the cause. Any team that doesn't draft well and develop their players well are destined for mediocrity. I can't look at our roster and believe that is to be anticipated. We are rising and the potential is there.

Looking back, the Buckner trade was NOT monumental unless you are speaking to how it helped the Colts in a NEED spot, but it was very LOGICALLY smart. I for one never saw it coming however seeing it after the fact it made 100% sense.

Ballard calls Niners and says, look... You have cap issues. We would like to give you a suggestion that might aid both our needs. We could draft Kinlaw at 13 who looks like WILL become a great player on the Dline in a couple years or we can trade you the 13 and you could take Kinlaw to replace Buckner whom we would like to have for our Dline. It also helps with the cap as we will assume and grant new contract for Buckner and you get a fill in Dline on rookie scale. I'm guessing Ballard inquired about Armstead and Buckner or maybe Armstead had already been given a contract beforehand. 

Now of course I don't know the exact wording, but I'm guessing it went down similar to that and that is NOT monumental in the aspect of the trade itself although it is LOGICALLY smart where both teams really benefitted. 

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

They used little Rogers some to help with deep coverages.
He has the speed to stay with anyone. We can watch for his use perhaps as more of a safety at times.

I was thinking the same thing from the speed perspective, but I don't think he couldn't handle the physicality of Jones. I've seen him as more of a match-up type guy than anything else. He won't be a starter, but he may get significant playing time against specific speedy WRs.

14 minutes ago, Shive said:

I was thinking the same thing from the speed perspective, but I don't think he couldn't handle the physicality of Jones. I've seen him as more of a match-up type guy than anything else. He won't be a starter, but he may get significant playing time against specific speedy WRs.

That is where I feel, if Hooker doesn't get picked up, bring him back on a "Show Me" 1 yr. deal for those centerfielder type situations where we might play teams like the Titans with 2 very good WR options. 

While the trade adds a lot of firepower to the Titans' offensive skill group, I think how much this trade means will be largely dictated by 2 factors:

- QB Tannehill: He's one of the best QB's in the league when the PA game is working well, but it was proven that if the run game gets stifled and doesn't open up the PA, he's fairly mediocre. He has a very good deep ball as well, but again, if the PA isn't working he's nowhere near as effective.

- OC Todd Downing: He has a pretty great background as a QB coach (largely credited for Derek Carr's best seasons), but when elevated to OC of the Raiders, their offensive production plummeted. He's had a few stints since then and was the Titans' TE coach last season, so he has familiarity with Arthur Smith's system, but it remains to be seen if he can have the same success with the same offense. It kind of makes me think of ATL's offense when Kyle Shanahan left. They brought back almost the exact same offensive players, brought in a new OC and saw their offensive performance nosedive. A bad OC can definitely take a talented offense and run it into the ground.

5 hours ago, Flash7 said:

I could make a similar statement about FAs.  Since good one are expensive, and great ones are very expensive, that would leave him very little room to miss on FAs.  And we see this happen all the time.  Teams pay big money for FAs and it just doesn't have the impact that the team hoped for.  And since so much money it then tied up in those FAs unwinding the mess can set a team back for several years.

Either way, the margin for error is small.

5 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

We have plenty of weapons for a really good offense.
You beat this horse to death when the re-signing of fan & Irsay favorite TY Ended any further consideration for Julio. They had time to consider Julio and said no. We would have lost numerous good players and draft pics to get him. We are FINE.

I fail to see how you think we have good receivers. I think we have definite problems there and if there any injuries, those problems will be very real. Here is an idea what others think of our receivers:

Pro Football Focus ranked the Colts' pass catchers at No. 24 in its positional rankings, slotting in between the New England Patriots at No. 25 and the Jacksonville Jaguars at No. 23. 

3 hours ago, Shive said:

While the trade adds a lot of firepower to the Titans' offensive skill group, I think how much this trade means will be largely dictated by 2 factors:

- QB Tannehill: He's one of the best QB's in the league when the PA game is working well, but it was proven that if the run game gets stifled and doesn't open up the PA, he's fairly mediocre. He has a very good deep ball as well, but again, if the PA isn't working he's nowhere near as effective.

- OC Todd Downing: He has a pretty great background as a QB coach (largely credited for Derek Carr's best seasons), but when elevated to OC of the Raiders, their offensive production plummeted. He's had a few stints since then and was the Titans' TE coach last season, so he has familiarity with Arthur Smith's system, but it remains to be seen if he can have the same success with the same offense. It kind of makes me think of ATL's offense when Kyle Shanahan left. They brought back almost the exact same offensive players, brought in a new OC and saw their offensive performance nosedive. A bad OC can definitely take a talented offense and run it into the ground.

Adding Julio will certainly help the run game.   IF he stays healthy,   they will be hard to stop.  The defense is another story.   I see a lot of high scoring games for the titans. 38-35 type games.

Archived