Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Julio to the Titans (MERGE)


Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

So TY at 31 is past his prime but Julio at 32 isn't.......got it.

TY has one year on his contract and was signed back in early April. 
 

Julio has three years left on his contract at much higher numbers and his deal was done two months later when money is much tighter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

They are the team to beat in our division.  Barring injuries they can win the conference. Heck of a move by them bc they are ready to compete now. 

KC is still much better than them. And I’d take Buffalo over them in the playoffs too. And Wentz may surprise a lot of people this year. Indy already has arguably the best defense in the AFC especially when Dayo comes back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

TY has one year on his contract and was signed back in early April. 
 

Julio has three years left on his contract at much higher numbers and his deal was done two months later when money is much tighter. 

Julio was extended in 2019 on a three year deal as a top level receiver back then.  TY just signed a one year deal.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

I'm not worried about the Titans. They should be asking themselves is Julio going to play a lot of games this season. We beat them in their place last year and they got a fluke win against us in our place when we didn't have our defense 100%. 

Also JT was missing that game. And a late TD was on a KR on an onside kick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is a good move by the Titans but I wouldn't call it very good or great. Between good, then very good and great that is a big difference. To me it isn't the 'move the needle' type of move as in they still aren't better than KC or Buffalo. I am not sold on they are better than Ravens, Browns, or the Colts either. Their defense is questionable and that is what keeps them in with Tier 2 teams still in the AFC. KC is really the only Tier 1 team in the AFC, Buffalo is debatable for Tier 1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, KB said:

This is gonna be the Titans version of us picking up Andre Johnson.

Johnson was 34 years old when we signed him in 2015 after he was granted his release because they were unable to find a trade partner.  Julio is 32 and is far superior to Andre.  They were able to trade him for a 2nd and a 4th.  Big difference all the way around.  Julio is still a playmaker that could be their difference maker that could get them to a SB.  Andre was well past his prime and was a shell of his old self when he joined the Colts.  Apples to Oranges I think.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is a good move by the Titans but I wouldn't call it very good or great. Between good, then very good and great that is a big difference. To me it isn't the 'move the needle' type of move as in they still aren't better than KC or Buffalo. I am not sold on they are better than Ravens, Browns, or the Colts either. Their defense is questionable and that is what keeps them in with Tier 2 teams still in the AFC. KC is really the only Tier 1 team in the AFC, Buffalo is debatable for Tier 1.

Nothing wrong with making a good move.  He is definitely going to help their team.  There is nothing great about KC’s defense either.  Buffalo too for that matter.  The Titans were going to be a hand full without him.  Now they are going to be even more dangerous.  Making the playoffs and getting home field is what every team wants and now they have a great chance to do just that.  As we know going the wild card route is very tough road.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Julio was extended in 2019 on a three year deal as a top level receiver back then.  TY just signed a one year deal.  

So?

 

Whats your point?

 

I was responding to a poster who implied the choice was as simple as Hilton or Jones?   Everyone knows there was much more to the decision than that.   How does your post make any difference to anyone? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Nothing wrong with making a good move.  He is definitely going to help their team.  There is nothing great about KC’s defense either.  Buffalo too for that matter.  The Titans were going to be a hand full without him.  Now they are going to be even more dangerous.  Making the playoffs and getting home field is what every team wants and now they have a great chance to do just that.  As we know going the wild card route is very tough road.

On paper it looks to be a good move, IMO Julio still can have his good moments but I am still not going as far to say they are better than us, Ravens, or Browns. Most teams are so evenly matched in the AFC that it is really crap shoot outside of KC. We really should've beat Buffalo last year in the playoffs, that game was close. I won't dive into that loss but we made a couple of bone headed mistakes we normally don't make that cost us that game and even missed an easy FG.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Tannehill has been one of the best deep throw passers in the league last two years. :dunno:


Yep…he’s accurate and willing…on a team that runs PA more often than anyone. I am guessing Julio was all about TEN.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just for the record - I think this is a great move by the Titans. If they can keep Julio healthy, they have quite possibly the best 1-2 WR punch combined with the best RB in the leauge. They will have a very potent offense. If their defense is even average, IMO the Titans are clearcut favorite in our division. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Just for the record - I think this is a great move by the Titans. If they can keep Julio healthy, they have quite possibly the best 1-2 WR punch combined with the best RB in the leauge. They will have a very potent offense. If their defense is even average, IMO the Titans are clearcut favorite in our division. 

"great move", we will see, great is a bold statement. I say good move but I can still see us winning the division, to me it is 50/50. If the Titans won the division it wouldn't surprise me but nor would it surprise if we won the division either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, KB said:

This is gonna be the Titans version of us picking up Andre Johnson.


Or it could be like when the Colts re-signed a 34 year-old Reggie Wayne and he made the PB.

 

AJ was 34…Julio is going into his age 32 season.

 

Julio is an all-time great WR. Here is what other great WRs did in their age 32-34 seasons (including some familiar names):

 

Reggie Wayne: 97 catches, 1,200+ yards (2x PB and 1x AP)

 

Marvin Harrison: 88 catches, 1,200+ yards, 13 TDs (3x PB and 1x AP)

 

Anquan Boldin: 78 catches, 1,054 yards

 

Larry Fitzgerald: 107 catches, 1,130+ yards (3x PB)

 

Cris Carter: 86 catches, 1,100+ yards, 13 TDs (3x PB and 1x AP)

 

Terrell Owens (age 33-35): 72 catches, 1,190+ yards (1x PB and 1x AP)

 

Steve Smith: 72 catches, 1,100+ yards (1x PB)

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tvturner said:

Tennessee has a better offense than us now

They have more weapons at WR that is for sure. Henry although the best RB in football isn't as good as Taylor, Mack, and Hines combined. We have way more depth at RB and a better O.Line. It comes down to QB play like I have posted many times, will Wentz be better than Tannehill?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

So if one or two or however many acquisitions don't work out a organization is suppose to avoid adding potential elite talent that may elevate a team from insignificant to the championship game or the super bowl??

 

 

To be clear I’m just viewing it from Ballards POV. I think you do whatever steps necessary to put your team over the top. Obviously he didn’t see it that way. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

Just for the record - I think this is a great move by the Titans. If they can keep Julio healthy, they have quite possibly the best 1-2 WR punch combined with the best RB in the leauge. They will have a very potent offense. If their defense is even average, IMO the Titans are clearcut favorite in our division. 


I agree. They were a really bad defense last year…not a whole lot of room to go but up. They are turning over 6/11 starters and brought in Jim Schwartz.

 

A jump to just middle of the pack would be a big lift (especially if they can get teams off the field on 3rd down). 

 

But getting Julio is a great move. Julio and Brown are perhaps the best 1-2 WR punch in the NFL. A healthy Julio alone could replace Davis and Smith’s production. And Julio’s cap hit over the rest of his deal is $13M/year…vs. the $25M/year it would have cost to keep those two players. And Davis and Smith will yield some sort of compensation (projected to be a 4th round right now) that offsets some of the draft capital.

 

But really, it’s about winning right now and taking advantage of their competitive window. 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I won't tell you I told you so, because I never did, so I won't... Ha!!

 

So any big news today?... 

 

Ertz isn't coming here btw and as much as I was hoping for a WR1, whether Julio or whoever I think we really found out what the Colts are after seeing Jones go to the Titans for a 2nd and a "who cares" 4th two years from now... But first I have to say this...

 

1) I really have never understood those on here that bring up the "money" in these situations involving players. First off it's not your/our money so who cares? ALL teams find a way, ALWAYS, if they really want to do something so can we just all agree that whatever our pros or cons might be involving players in the future, the money aspect should stop coming into play.

 

2) The draft picks. Again, did we REALLY need a two next year? The Colts WILL lose their 1st and everyone knows it. I mean short of us fans not seeing any picks come in until round three, did we really NEED that pick? Especially if Jones came in here and not only produced, but made our other wideouts better? The logic of not wanting that from potentially first ballot HOF Julio Jones in exchange for an unknown player on day two who hasn't even sniffed an NFL field is ludicrous. Just stop.

 

The Colts didn't take Julio as they knew that within this offense and how Reich wants to run it, there were never going to be enough balls to satisfy Jones when all was said and done. IMO that's the answer as it logically is the only answer that makes sense.

 

In Tennessee, there is just Henry, Brown, and Now Julio.

 

Here in Indy there is Taylor, Mack, Hines, TY, Pittman, Campbell, Granson, Pascal, Harris, and to a lesser extent Doyle and MAC. See? This is why I was saying that in order for Julio to come here I thought the Colts would've had to throw like Mack and Campbell in the deal or whoever just to eliminate some offensive space. 

 

There's the answer and as I said above Ertz won't be coming here either UNLESS Doyle is released, which IMO he should be whether Ertz came here or not, ....which he's not.

 

Just my take. Probably 1000% wrong

 

 

Cheers!!

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

KC is still much better than them. And I’d take Buffalo over them in the playoffs too. And Wentz may surprise a lot of people this year. Indy already has arguably the best defense in the AFC especially when Dayo comes back. 

I think KC is the team to beat and Buffalo is a fantastic team. I think Tennessee can hang with anyone tho. I also believe we have the pieces in place to do the same. Should be a great season all around. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, adubb84 said:

While Julio is nice I think giving up a second would have gone against everything Ballard stands for in terms of continually building the roster. We would

Have been left without a 1st and 2nd round pick next year.  

Yeah but we would have had Julio Jones. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

KC is still much better than them. And I’d take Buffalo over them in the playoffs too. And Wentz may surprise a lot of people this year. Indy already has arguably the best defense in the AFC especially when Dayo comes back. 

What makes you say this?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I won't tell you I told you so, because I never did, so I won't... Ha!!

 

So any big news today?... 

 

Ertz isn't coming here btw and as much as I was hoping for a WR1, whether Julio or whoever I think we really found out what the Colts are after seeing Jones go to the Titans for a 2nd and a "who cares" 4th two years from now... But first I have to say this...

 

1) I really have never understood those on here that bring up the "money" in these situations involving players. First off it's not your/our money so who cares? ALL teams find a way, ALWAYS, if they really want to do something so can we just all agree that whatever our pros or cons might be involving players in the future, the money aspect should stop coming into play.

 

2) The draft picks. Again, did we REALLY need a two next year? The Colts WILL lose their 1st and everyone knows it. I mean short of us fans not seeing any picks come in until round three, did we really NEED that pick? Especially if Jones came in here and not only produced, but made our other wideouts better? The logic of not wanting that from potentially first ballot HOF Julio Jones in exchange for an unknown player on day two who hasn't even sniffed an NFL field is ludicrous. Just stop.

 

The Colts didn't take Julio as they knew that within this offense and how Reich wants to run it, there were never going to be enough balls to satisfy Jones when all was said and done. IMO that's the answer as it logically is the only answer that makes sense.

 

In Tennessee, there is just Henry, Brown, and Now Julio.

 

Here in Indy there is Taylor, Mack, Hines, TY, Pittman, Campbell, Granson, Pascal, Harris, and to a lesser extent Doyle and MAC. See? This is why I was saying that in order for Julio to come here I thought the Colts would've had to throw like Mack and Campbell in the deal or whoever just to eliminate some offensive space. 

 

There's the answer and as I said above Ertz won't be coming here either UNLESS Doyle is released, which IMO he should be whether Ertz came here or not, ....which he's not.

 

Just my take. Probably 1000% wrong

 

 

Cheers!!

 

 

They won't release Doyle until they get Ertz.  Getting Ertz is the first step then maybe a release or trade of Doyle.  Even then I can see him staying for his last year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Yep...our season is over. Looking forward to 2023.

 

You think things will be different in 2023??  :funny:

 

Seriously though, except for having a possible very good QB fall in our lap, which is huge, our off season was ho hum to say the least. Many thought or at least hoped that a couple playmakers added along with Wentz would have possibly put us in position to challenge the conference's best. 

Instead, the conference and division is getting better by the minute while we're just hoping to just stay in neutral. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

They won't release Doyle until they get Ertz.  Getting Ertz is the first step then maybe a release or trade of Doyle.  Even then I can see him staying for his last year. 

Maybe, but I just don't see it. Sorry. I think Ertz ends up in San Diego, until he realizes that the Chargers are in LA now, then he will go there.

 

Somebody on here earlier said they heard Jaxx but I haven't seen that anywhere. 

 

Releasing Doyle does nothing but help our money situation, if it does even that as Doyle was never really a part of the game plan skill to begin with. Doyle is truly expendable, if not this year then definitely in 2022

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not pooing on the organization here because it was quite obvious this wasn't really a possible move for us, but this is the type of gutsy move you do if you want to give yourself a chance to win. Even as unrealistic as getting Julio was, I almost wanted it to happen just so the people ridiculously putting this move down as not "Ballard-like" would have to do an about face and call it his most genius move ever. 

 

Let's not do the thing where this is a bad move because the Titans made it, it's not. Julio at 32 years old is still a very fine player. Also, people talking about the Titans defense, this has nothing to do with their defense so I'm not sure what the relevance is, really. They got a very good player, period.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Indeee said:

 I think Ertz ends up in San Diego, until he realizes that the Chargers are in LA now, then he will go there.

 

Somebody on here earlier said they heard Jaxx but I haven't seen that anywhere. 

 

Releasing Doyle does nothing but help our money situation, if it does even that as Doyle was never really a part of the game plan skill to begin with. Doyle is truly expendable, if not this year then definitely in 2022

 

That's  funny. :funny:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

You think things will be different in 2023??  :funny:

 

Seriously though, except for having a possible very good QB fall in our lap, which is huge, our off season was ho hum to say the least. Many thought or at least hoped that a couple playmakers added along with Wentz would have possibly put us in position to challenge the conference's best. 

Instead, the conference and division is getting better by the minute while we're just hoping to just stay in neutral. 

You would make an excellent GM. There are several openings every year. I think next year is your year.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tvturner said:

Tennessee has a better offense than us now

I wouldn’t say that, especially before a single snap is taken. When Wentz was at his best, he was an MVP candidate – as good as Tannehill has played, he’s never come close to that skill level with either of his NFL teams. Henry is a beast, but I like the combo of Taylor & Mack, complemented by Hines even better. Wide receivers could be a wash, but ours are much younger (with the exception of “The Ghost”) and I can’t wait to see Pittman with a year’s experience under his belt, and Campbell healthy complemented with Hilton & Pascal. Our Tight Ends are probably better than theirs as well, with a good mix of both youth & veterans.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

You would make an excellent GM. There are several openings every year. I think next year is your year.

 

If I were a GM, I sure would hope to have a winning record and at least one division title after 4 seasons. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I wouldn’t say that, especially before a single snap is taken. When Wentz was at his best, he was an MVP candidate – as good as Tannehill has played, he’s never come close to that skill level with either of his NFL teams. Henry is a beast, but I like the combo of Taylor & Mack, complemented by Hines even better. Wide receivers could be a wash, but ours are much younger (with the exception of “The Ghost”) and I can’t wait to see Pittman with a year’s experience under his belt, and Campbell healthy complemented with Hilton & Pascal. Our Tight Ends are probably better than theirs as well, with a good mix of both youth & veterans.

 

None of our receiver are close to Brown or Julio level. Sure we can see MPJ grow but I don’t think he reaches Brown or Julio level

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, runthepost said:

None of our receiver are close to Brown or Julio level. Sure we can see MPJ grow but I don’t think he reaches Brown or Julio level

That remains to be seen, especially if Carson can regain his prior form and our rushing attack is effective enough to command defensive attention from opponents – if those 2 things happen, our wideouts can really clean up and we could end up with a duo as successful as Swann & Stallworth, Irvin & Harper, Duper & Clayton, Rice & Taylor or Harrison & Wayne.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lancer1 said:

I wouldn’t say that, especially before a single snap is taken. When Wentz was at his best, he was an MVP candidate – as good as Tannehill has played, he’s never come close to that skill level with either of his NFL teams. Henry is a beast, but I like the combo of Taylor & Mack, complemented by Hines even better. Wide receivers could be a wash, but ours are much younger (with the exception of “The Ghost”) and I can’t wait to see Pittman with a year’s experience under his belt, and Campbell healthy complemented with Hilton & Pascal. Our Tight Ends are probably better than theirs as well, with a good mix of both youth & veterans.

 

Henry is a top 3 RB if not the best back in the league 

AJ Brown is a top 10 WR...

Julio Jones is a top 3 WR...

It's not close 

 

Tannehill is more proven and better than Wentz is right now

 

We have them beat at Tight End skill player wise

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Henry is a top 3 RB if not the best back in the league 

This I agree with, but I think our trio can produce similar results

10 minutes ago, tvturner said:

AJ Brown is a top 10 WR...

Julio Jones is a top 3 WR...

It's not close 

Not last season they weren't: https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/receiving/2020/REG/all/receivingreceptions/desc

10 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Tannehill is more proven and better than Wentz is right now

That's debatable, after all Carson has a SB ring and Ryan doesn't, despite having played 4 years longer.

11 minutes ago, tvturner said:

We have them beat at Tight End skill player wise

Concur

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ColtJax said:

Point is, he's expensive, I know. But he's also the guy that could have opened our offense up wide. The Titans are far more tight on the cap than we are, and they already had AJ Brown. He'd be worth giving 2023 2nd and 2022 4th or even 3rd if needed.

Open up their offense for how long? Hes 32

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is a good move by the Titans but I wouldn't call it very good or great. Between good, then very good and great that is a big difference. To me it isn't the 'move the needle' type of move as in they still aren't better than KC or Buffalo. I am not sold on they are better than Ravens, Browns, or the Colts either. Their defense is questionable and that is what keeps them in with Tier 2 teams still in the AFC. KC is really the only Tier 1 team in the AFC, Buffalo is debatable for Tier 1.

 

I agree mostly sorta with what you said lol. It's definitely a good move and helps their team, we just don't know yet how good or if it will turn out to be a IMPACTFULmove... But didn't they lose a pretty good recieving TE to free Agency?  So I guess they needed to replace him.

Trying to add talent is a good thing, especially if your already one of the Top 5 teams in conference. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Shive changed the title to Julio to the Titans (MERGE)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Perhaps it’s more an indicator of Reed’s solid play over Glow’s lack of production.  I don’t think Glow has been bad but it’s looking like Reed is playing better.  
    • I’ve always pictured Dayo as our DE with the occasional rotation with stewart . I don’t see Buckner getting kicked to the curb. Matter of fact, I think the future plan is a Dayo, Buckner,  Stewart(or a younger draftee ) and Paye. 
    • I like the analogy of a 17 round prize fight. For me, it’s not over until they’re eliminated mathematically or they’re close to that and have lost a lot of players, due to injury.    So, to your question, I would say absolutely not.
    • The turf has been historically awful there.  Don’t know if that’s fixed.   if it was just heavy rain and bad footing, that’s usually advantage passing game because defenders have to react.  They keep the balls fairly dry and today’s catching gloves are like electromagnets and QBs can wear gloves too.  Smaller handed QBs could have extra issues with grip though.   in heavy mud, the Run game is just a wallow fest.  Taylor’s style might help because he isnt dramatic with his cuts, but I could also see him being ineffective running laterally, he’s not great stopping and starting.  However, the home run ball is always a possibility with him especially when one cut could put the defender on skates.   45 mph winds essentially nullifies any passing game but the short game.  Again if you can get Taylor in space we could be money here but Fred is one of the best in coverage too.    the mud games usually come down to ball security and seemingly chance breaks Though.  I’d like to say I’m looking forward to it but I’m really not.  These games tend to be boring, limiting  these great athletes.  Makes em move around like a buncha old men.
    • Spicy garlic is one of gods gifts.  With blue cheese.   can only afford them on Tuesdays.
  • Members

    • FuedinHatfield

      FuedinHatfield 3

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Boss7894

      Boss7894 45

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • AwesomeAustin

      AwesomeAustin 846

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CurBeatElite

      CurBeatElite 1,404

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nickster

      Nickster 1,372

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nadine

      Nadine 7,008

      Administrators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NYFAN

      NYFAN 1

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DaColts85

      DaColts85 576

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ClaytonC

      ClaytonC 39

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Matabix

      Matabix 137

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...