Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Julio to the Titans (MERGE)

While Julio is nice I think giving up a second would have gone against everything Ballard stands for in terms of continually building the roster. We would

Have been left without a 1st and 2nd round pick next year.  

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, NewColtsFan said:

UPDATE:

ESPN now reporting the price is this:

2022 2nd round pick

2023 4th round pick

While Atlanta will also send a 2023 6th round pick with Julio. 

The Colts could NOT have acquired Jones for just a 2nd. 

Not to mention that Jones reportedly wants a new contract.  People seem to keep forgetting this?  There is only so much money to go around, which makes keeping, and hitting on, your draft picks a necessity.

Point is, he's expensive, I know. But he's also the guy that could have opened our offense up wide. The Titans are far more tight on the cap than we are, and they already had AJ Brown. He'd be worth giving 2023 2nd and 2022 4th or even 3rd if needed.

5 minutes ago, WentzinRome said:

Not to mention that Jones reportedly wants a new contract.  People seem to keep forgetting this?  There is only so much money to go around, which makes keeping, and hitting on, your draft picks a necessity.

It will be interesting to see if he gets his new contract.  The Titans are going to have to make some moves to get him under their cap since they are taking on his current salary.  When we traded for Buckner we had his new contract in place as part of the deal.  Nothing reported here yet.  

6 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

And what is that, MEDIOCRITY? :D

I would have LOVED to get Julio but if he came here and didn’t fare well he would have gotten rosted. Maybe not a fair comparison but Andre johnson comes to mind. 

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It will be interesting to see if he gets his new contract.  The Titans are going to have to make some moves to get him under their cap since they are taking on his current salary.  When we traded for Buckner we had his new contract in place as part of the deal.  Nothing reported here yet.  

Now that was the "word on the street:...we shall see.  I expect that they already have a deal in place.  To borrow a term from baseball, "They are going to be a tough out.".

2 minutes ago, WentzinRome said:

Now that was the "word on the street:...we shall see.  I expect that they already have a deal in place.  To borrow a term from baseball, "They are going to be a tough out.".

I agree they definitely going to be a tough out.  I can see it now Julio going deep against Rhodes or Rock.  Who wins?  Ouch!

31 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

People seem to be forgetting that we can’t trade our 1st or 2nd in 2022 because they are tied to the Wentz trade

I don’t think that’s technically true. 

If we wanted to, the Colts could declare that we’re going to give Philly our 2022 first pick.   No conditions. 

And then trade our 2nd round pick to Atlanta along with something else to make a Julio deal.    I don’t think there’s anything that’s stopping us other than not wanting to do that. 

I assume what’s stopping us is the price in picks, and the price of his contract and what that would do to our team’s salary structure. 

2 hours ago, runthepost said:

Henry Brown and Julio :scorebad:

They lost from the passing game..... In this offseason

129 Receptions, 1,665 yds, and 15 TDs.

They replaced that with a bunch of nothing but a 32 yr old HOF WR... Who most years goes for 1100 yds and 8 TDs on 79 receptions, but hasn't matched or surpassed this numbers in three or four years.....  

In other words, I'm not losing sleep over this.  It's a good deal for TN, because they desperately needed to replace over half their passing game production, and had yet to do anything there.... But Julio isn't going to amount to more production overall from them in the passing game by himself.  If anything, they'll match what they did last year. She's great.  But he's not going to be more than those THREE guys together were.... And I'm only making the weighted comparison because it seems like TN is bringing him in, and pretty much him alone, to do just that.  32 yr olds who are starting to get dinged with injuries don't often improve over their "super solid" career averages....

10 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

They lost from the passing game..... In this offseason

129 Receptions, 1,665 yds, and 15 TDs.

They replaced that with a bunch of nothing but a 32 yr old HOF WR... Who most years goes for 1100 yds and 8 TDs on 79 receptions, but hasn't matched or surpassed this numbers in three or four years.....  

In other words, I'm not losing sleep over this.  It's a good deal for TN, because they desperately needed to replace over half their passing game production, and had yet to do anything there.... But Julio isn't going to amount to more production overall from them in the passing game by himself.  If anything, they'll match what they did last year. She's great.  But he's not going to be more than those THREE guys together were.... And I'm only making the weighted comparison because it seems like TN is bringing him in, and pretty much him alone, to do just that.  32 yr olds who are starting to get dinged with injuries don't often improve over their "super solid" career averages....

2019 season he had 99 receptions and 1394 yards. He can replace the lost yardage his self. A streak of 5 seasons with over 1400 yards ended because he missed 1 game in 2019. Don’t know where you got those numbers, his last full season with those numbers was his rookie  and second year lol

I’d love to be able to say that Jones’ effectiveness was waning and that this might end up being like our signing Andre Johnson at the tail end of his career.

But JJ’s per-game numbers were still very strong this past season (although he did miss 7 games).  His average targets were down from 10.5 to 7.5.  But his catch percentage was a boffo 75% and his yardage numbers were still excellent.

This was a strong pickup by the Titans.  They’re going to be very tough contenders in the AFCS once again.

6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Rhodes was one of the best CB in the league last season. Eberflus also said Rock  has to win  that job and there is a competition.

Competition is a good thing but no matter who wins Julio is a monster and would be the favorite on the deep ball.  Same for Rhodes.  Deep ball favors Julio I think.  

25 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

I would have LOVED to get Julio but if he came here and didn’t fare well he would have gotten rosted. Maybe not a fair comparison but Andre johnson comes to mind. 

So if one or two or however many acquisitions don't work out a organization is suppose to avoid adding potential elite talent that may elevate a team from insignificant to the championship game or the super bowl??

39 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Julio wanted a strong arm QB and yet gets Tannerhill who can't throw the ball deep any better then Ryan.

Tannehill might not have a missile launcher, but he has very good arm strength. But more importantly, he’s  got touch and is accurate downfield, which is really all a guy like Julio needs:

Here’s another good one…50-yard strike to Brown while being hit near the goal line: 

39 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Julio wanted a strong arm QB and yet gets Tannerhill who can't throw the ball deep any better then Ryan.

Tannehill has been one of the best deep throw passers in the league last two years. :dunno:

14 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

So if one or two or however many acquisitions don't work out a organization is suppose to avoid adding potential elite talent that may elevate a team from insignificant to the championship game or the super bowl??

Yep...our season is over. Looking forward to 2023.

2 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

I would have gladly outbid the Titans for Julio.. especially for a 2nd and 5th smh

why would you want the colts to give up a 2nd round pick and a 5th for a 33 year old wr .  julio has been going down hill he missed 7 games last year and is out of his prime .    this is like the colts getting andre johnson in 2015  it did not change anything .   ballard best picks are in the second round he hits so often why turn down a  young guy who could be a  star for ten years for a out of prime older  wr .   they have to pay him 15 million this year and lose a second rounder .    titans lost two very good weapons in jonu and davis so they will be around the same if not worse when julio body gives out

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

Tannehill has been one of the best deep throw passers in the league last two years. :dunno:

tannehill is limited and his success is tied to henry and the run game .  titans are similar to the ravens good offense with the lead but when losing by two scores and cant run they struggle .   with their horrible defense i dont fear them with a 33 year old out of his prime julio who was injured half the year last year .   look how dez looked at that age and andre johnosn with the colts .  titans are trying to buy a locker room like grigson it wont last .  let them waste picks , because that is how you really build teams not over paying for autry and julio players out of their prime .

43 minutes ago, runthepost said:

2019 season he had 99 receptions and 1394 yards. He can replace the lost yardage his self. A streak of 5 seasons with over 1400 yards ended because he missed 1 game in 2019. Don’t know where you got those numbers, his last full season with those numbers was his rookie  and second year lol

Pulled wrong years sorting columns lol.  Now, his avgs I still maintain that TN will maintain the status quo by year end across the board.. will be interesting to see, but I think it's going to be largely a wash.  Now, if he makes some big plays in the post season, it could be even better than I think.  I believe it's the best move TN had available.  I don't think that's necessarily true for every team.

49 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think that’s technically true. 

If we wanted to, the Colts could declare that we’re going to give Philly our 2022 first pick.   No conditions. 

And then trade our 2nd round pick to Atlanta along with something else to make a Julio deal.    I don’t think there’s anything that’s stopping us other than not wanting to do that. 

I assume what’s stopping us is the price in picks, and the price of his contract and what that would do to our team’s salary structure. 

I mean I don't know how concrete these trades are but I doubt that they are so easily adjusted, but that's me guessing I have no idea. 

38 minutes ago, stitches said:

I said any better then Ryan. What is the difference? Also that is not Tannerhill's game. He works mostly out of play action once they work off Henry. Take Henry away and you get what happens in the playoffs. Tannerhill is a product of the run game. You can't put the game in his hands.

2 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

You guys act like the Titans are getting prime Julio Jones. No, they're getting the on the decline Julio Jones.

Kinda like our quarterback from last year...if you pay him enough then he can perform for one more year. Then, who knows. The Titans will probably have 11 wins.

Archived