Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Soccer - US Men's and Women's National Teams


Recommended Posts

Didn't see a thread, or much talk on football (soccer) in general. 

 

Watching the USMNT play in the CONCACAF Nations League Qfinals vs Honduras. Pretty good so far. US dominating possession, but Honduras just missed. Really not a miss, just a terrific play by the US to keep it out of the net. A little chippy early.

 

Very excited about the future of the USMNT with the three young guys in front.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a game. Refs playing a big part in the game (the two P-kicks), but at least both sides got their chance in extra time.

 

Still not over, but nice to have the lead with time running out.

 

#USMNT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, EastStreet said:

What a game. Refs playing a big part in the game (the two P-kicks), but at least both sides got their chance in extra time.

 

Still not over, but nice to have the lead with time running out.

 

#USMNT

I missed the games, only kept up on twitter. I really hope we can get the men's team to be closer to the level of the national (women's) team. after missing last WC it is embarrassing still

 

Also finally got to see my first professional game, as I went to MLS game for Sounders and Austin FC. Still annoyed that you can get offsides with in the box like soo little space

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I missed the games, only kept up on twitter. I really hope we can get the men's team to be closer to the level of the national (women's) team. after missing last WC it is embarrassing still

 

Also finally got to see my first professional game, as I went to MLS game for Sounders and Austin FC. Still annoyed that you can get offsides with in the box like soo little space

It'll take a lot to get the USMNT to the level of the USWNT. But some of the youth coming up keeps me optimistic. Our front 3 is great start, and there are others. It'll take time though. I think we'll qualify for 2020WC come this September, and look respectable in group stage next year, but just can't see us competing with the big boys just yet.  A lot can happen in a year though, so who knows. One thing that's good though IMO, is that a lot of the traditional powerhouses are a bit down now.

 

I'm looking forward to the Euro's starting later this week. I'm not into the US MLS though. My favorite is national teams, but I also keep an eye on Bund, SA, a little PL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It'll take a lot to get the USMNT to the level of the USWNT. But some of the youth coming up keeps me optimistic. Our front 3 is great start, and there are others. It'll take time though. I think we'll qualify for 2020WC come this September, and look respectable in group stage next year, but just can't see us competing with the big boys just yet.  A lot can happen in a year though, so who knows. One thing that's good though IMO, is that a lot of the traditional powerhouses are a bit down now.

 

I'm looking forward to the Euro's starting later this week. I'm not into the US MLS though. My favorite is national teams, but I also keep an eye on Bund, SA, a little PL.

Honestly, it is unlikely the men will ever match the women unless the women just crash. There been some movement in club level in the US which could help in future. I do remember watching steffen years ago as U-20 GK, liked him. I still just think of the days with Landon, Dempsey, and Howard leading the team. 

I have always had a harder time with the leds, with Football, Baseball, basketball I don't always have the extra room anymore. Normally I will catch a game here and there for different leagues just when they are on, but don't have any specific. 

Also, could not remember when WC Qualifying began. That could be fun to go to

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/7/2021 at 11:08 PM, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Honestly, it is unlikely the men will ever match the women unless the women just crash. There been some movement in club level in the US which could help in future. I do remember watching steffen years ago as U-20 GK, liked him. I still just think of the days with Landon, Dempsey, and Howard leading the team.

The women are consistently top 3, and agreed, not sure the USNMT will ever be like that (at least in the next decade). I do think as soccer continues to grow in popularity in the US, the NTs (both) will continue to improve. It's just a matter of time IMO, but it will be a slow climb. We simply have the population and funding to keep growing the sport.

 

That said, the USMNT can get into a top 10ish situation in the next 5 years IMO. How fast I'm not sure. Guys like Pulisic, and the other young guns up front will be very good. Perhaps better than some of the guys you mention. And Steffen is very good, and evidently Horvath is pretty great too given his clutch play vs MX. All the US needs IMO is some mids and backs to develop and step up. We have the front and goal keepers arguably already to be top 10ish. That of course is a bit of projection, but I don't think it's overly optimistic.
 

Quote

I have always had a harder time with the leds, with Football, Baseball, basketball I don't always have the extra room anymore. Normally I will catch a game here and there for different leagues just when they are on, but don't have any specific. 

I don't really care about baseball anymore, but follow the Cubs a tiny bit. My interests in the NBA are at an all time low. I follow the Pacers a bit, but not near as close as I used to. The front office is cheap, and they seem to be content to be a team that is borderline playoff contender.... They keep firing coaches, but that's not their issue.

 

But to your point, I only follow the NFL, CFB, and CBB closely, so soccer doesn't require a lot of room for me (given the timing). Like I said, I follow mostly the national team stuff closely, and tournaments like the WC, Euro Cup, Gold Cup, Olympics, etc.. I will pay attention to nations leagues, and other finals in the different leagues, but again, the international play of the national teams is of most interest.  I have a lot of friends from outside the US who are big time soccer fans, so it's also fun to be able to talk smack with them. 
 

Quote

Also, could not remember when WC Qualifying began. That could be fun to go to

 

US has a bye to the 3rd round, so quals for them don't start till September. It's kinda of silly IMO. They should have auto qualifiers (like the top 2 of the tourney that just happened), and then let the rest battle it out. But there's really no reason the US, MX, and CR shouldn't all be in the next WC. They change the qualification process it seems every 4 years lol. And I hate how they select the Olympic teams.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The women are consistently top 3, and agreed, not sure the USNMT will ever be like that (at least in the next decade). I do think as soccer continues to grow in popularity in the US, the NTs (both) will continue to improve. It's just a matter of time IMO, but it will be a slow climb. We simply have the population and funding to keep growing the sport.

 

That said, the USMNT can get into a top 10ish situation in the next 5 years IMO. How fast I'm not sure. Guys like Pulisic, and the other young guns up front will be very good. Perhaps better than some of the guys you mention. And Steffen is very good, and evidently Horvath is pretty great too given his clutch play vs MX. All the US needs IMO is some mids and backs to develop and step up. We have the front and goal keepers arguably already to be top 10ish. That of course is a bit of projection, but I don't think it's overly optimistic.
 

I don't really care about baseball anymore, but follow the Cubs a tiny bit. My interests in the NBA are at an all time low. I follow the Pacers a bit, but not near as close as I used to. The front office is cheap, and they seem to be content to be a team that is borderline playoff contender.... They keep firing coaches, but that's not their issue.

 

But to your point, I only follow the NFL, CFB, and CBB closely, so soccer doesn't require a lot of room for me (given the timing). Like I said, I follow mostly the national team stuff closely, and tournaments like the WC, Euro Cup, Gold Cup, Olympics, etc.. I will pay attention to nations leagues, and other finals in the different leagues, but again, the international play of the national teams is of most interest.  I have a lot of friends from outside the US who are big time soccer fans, so it's also fun to be able to talk smack with them. 
 

US has a bye to the 3rd round, so quals for them don't start till September. It's kinda of silly IMO. They should have auto qualifiers (like the top 2 of the tourney that just happened), and then let the rest battle it out. But there's really no reason the US, MX, and CR shouldn't all be in the next WC. They change the qualification process it seems every 4 years lol. And I hate how they select the Olympic teams.

It will be a big thing to ever get the mens in top 5. And hopefully they will and you do with the women being so great have more US based players for younger kids to look up to. I think who ever is coaching the team will be a big piece of the puzzle.

Football and Baseball will stay my top two when it comes to watching. Basketball I will watch the Pacers and CBB more so. CFB I will if not much is on or my old school is on. And the WC and Olympics are normally the biggest I pick up on. So normally every couple years.

 

I ended up looking to see and saw that, while silly it is at least nice to avoid the extra play in chance. Hopefully, I mean 2026 who gets the host city bid since it is a all North America type one. And I honestly have no clue qualifying for olympics how that is set up

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

It will be a big thing to ever get the mens in top 5. And hopefully they will and you do with the women being so great have more US based players for younger kids to look up to. I think who ever is coaching the team will be a big piece of the puzzle.

It's just a matter of time. Could take 10 years, could take 20 or 50. The shear population of the US, our ability to fund, and our love for sports will catch up sooner than later. We've never prioritized soccer near to the level of other countries, but that's changing. We're starting to see some of the fruits of the labor so to speak. The women have proven the US can play at that level. It's all about "interest" in the sport IMO. And it'll just take time.

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Football and Baseball will stay my top two when it comes to watching. Basketball I will watch the Pacers and CBB more so. CFB I will if not much is on or my old school is on. And the WC and Olympics are normally the biggest I pick up on. So normally every couple years.

I'd say my rank is 

1A. ND football

1B. Colts football

2. IU BB

3. CFB in general, especially all of ND's traditional rivals. I will always watch USC, Stanford, Michigan, etc.. I also watch a ton of SEC and ACC. Just a CFB junkie. 

4. USM and W NTs. World Cup and INTL soccer play. I love the national teams for Italy, Germany, and Argentina too.

5. Pacers

6. Cubs

 

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

 

I ended up looking to see and saw that, while silly it is at least nice to avoid the extra play in chance. Hopefully, I mean 2026 who gets the host city bid since it is a all North America type one. And I honestly have no clue qualifying for olympics how that is set up

I think 2026 could be a year we really step into the mix from a men's perspective. And playing games in NA will help.

 

This year for the Olympics is weird, as the teams, IIRC, were those that qualified from 2 years ago. Covid impact... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It's just a matter of time. Could take 10 years, could take 20 or 50. The shear population of the US, our ability to fund, and our love for sports will catch up sooner than later. We've never prioritized soccer near to the level of other countries, but that's changing. We're starting to see some of the fruits of the labor so to speak. The women have proven the US can play at that level. It's all about "interest" in the sport IMO. And it'll just take time.

I'd say my rank is 

1A. ND football

1B. Colts football

2. IU BB

3. CFB in general, especially all of ND's traditional rivals. I will always watch USC, Stanford, Michigan, etc.. I also watch a ton of SEC and ACC. Just a CFB junkie. 

4. USM and W NTs. World Cup and INTL soccer play. I love the national teams for Italy, Germany, and Argentina too.

5. Pacers

6. Cubs

 

I think 2026 could be a year we really step into the mix from a men's perspective. And playing games in NA will help.

 

This year for the Olympics is weird, as the teams, IIRC, were those that qualified from 2 years ago. Covid impact... 

For 2026, I want to go to one of the matches. No clue where ill be living but think it be real fun to see one of them live.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

For 2026, I want to go to one of the matches. No clue where ill be living but think it be real fun to see one of them live.

I was supposed to go in 14, but the guy I was going with backed out at the last moment. I wanted to go in 18, but my buddy in Europe had a pregnant wife that was due around the time lol.... We had plans to go to 22 before all the covid stuff. I've had some bad luck lol. Will be a lot easier in 26.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I was supposed to go in 14, but the guy I was going with backed out at the last moment. I wanted to go in 18, but my buddy in Europe had a pregnant wife that was due around the time lol.... We had plans to go to 22 before all the covid stuff. I've had some bad luck lol. Will be a lot easier in 26.

Haha so the real question is, what I'm 2026 will keep you from being able to go to it? And in reality not going to Qatar probably not the worst thing. Its still gonna be hot as all

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2021 at 5:49 PM, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Haha so the real question is, what I'm 2026 will keep you from being able to go to it? And in reality not going to Qatar probably not the worst thing. Its still gonna be hot as all

I would have loved to go to Qatar. I have a few friends there, and nearby. I don't mind the heat, and they have plenty of AC lol. 

 

2026 should be fun. There are several teams I cheer for, so hoping to get to several games.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I would have loved to go to Qatar. I have a few friends there, and nearby. I don't mind the heat, and they have plenty of AC lol. 

 

2026 should be fun. There are several teams I cheer for, so hoping to get to several games.

Ah haha that would help.

 

I am just looking forward seeing what ones I can go too. Probably try a couple in similar spot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Ah haha that would help.

 

I am just looking forward seeing what ones I can go too. Probably try a couple in similar spot

During the games in Brazil, we had a 10 day, 7 game route mapped out. Still sad we had to cancel.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 7/20/2021 at 11:01 PM, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

@EastStreet are you ready for the first match at 4:30 AM EST? I will see what happens when I finally wake uphaha

I actually got up for it. 0-3.... yuck lol...

 

I'm still happy though with the men winning their group. I'm ready for Gold Cup first round.

 

I'm I'm happy about Italy and Argentina winning the Euro and Copa. 

 

Hoping the UWWNT got a wake up and gets their stuff together. They need to focus less on politics and more on soccer I think.

 

And hope the Men's team is ready to go deep. I was at the game in 2015 when Jamaica upset them, and don't want a repeat. Qatar has been an interesting add to the GC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I actually got up for it. 0-3.... yuck lol...

 

I'm still happy though with the men winning their group. I'm ready for Gold Cup first round.

 

I'm I'm happy about Italy and Argentina winning the Euro and Copa. 

 

Hoping the UWWNT got a wake up and gets their stuff together. They need to focus less on politics and more on soccer I think.

 

And hope the Men's team is ready to go deep. I was at the game in 2015 when Jamaica upset them, and don't want a repeat. Qatar has been an interesting add to the GC.

I am happy i did not wake up

 

And it should be interesting for GC

 

I saw some of the Italy scene from my friend in Milan, they had a nice fire going haha. Out till 4am

 

And they really do need to wake up, hopefully that is the reset and can get back to business

 

I am hoping they are, it will be a big thing to have them perform well and get going to WC. And I was surprised to see Qatar it is just a random add id say

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure how much I will watch.    We'll see how it goes.

I think I'm rooting against the women.   That may change depending on the opponent.   The disrespect of the flag, especially at the Olympics. bugs me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I am happy i did not wake up

 

And it should be interesting for GC

 

I saw some of the Italy scene from my friend in Milan, they had a nice fire going haha. Out till 4am

I have several Euro buds (ones still there, and ones that moved here). And I have family from over there too. They take their football seriously lol... Making a WC or Euro is on my bucket list. 

 

My fav teams are Italy and Germany, but I have a fondness (due to friends and other reasons) for Ireland, Wales, Argentina, Brazil, Iceland, Slovakia, and several others. US will always be my #1, but I'm crazy about about a few others too. Loved watching the Euros and Copa, and then going immediately into Gold and the Olympics.

11 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

 

And they really do need to wake up, hopefully that is the reset and can get back to business

They lost to Sweden before. Sometimes you need a good punch in the nose lol.

11 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

 

I am hoping they are, it will be a big thing to have them perform well and get going to WC. And I was surprised to see Qatar it is just a random add id say

Some folks acted like the USM should destroy Canada, but Canada played very well all group stage. I figured it would be close. But they need to kick it up a notch. I really didn't care if we got Costa Rica or Jamaica, as both are pretty good. Gonna be fun.

 

Qatar is the guest team this time. Gold Cup does that, and Qatar got the nod this year as they are the host for the WC. They're pretty solid, but I didn't think they'd win their group. I did expect them to move through though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I'm not sure how much I will watch.    We'll see how it goes.

I think I'm rooting against the women.   That may change depending on the opponent.   The disrespect of the flag, especially at the Olympics. bugs me.

Bugs me too. If you want to do that stuff in the pros, fine. In the Olympics though, you're representing your country. And if you don't like your country, you shouldn't be playing IMO... 

 

I love Foreman's view on the topic. He gets it. People are letting politics take over every inch of their lives.

 

But I'll never cheer against the US. At worst, I just wouldn't watch.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I have several Euro buds (ones still there, and ones that moved here). And I have family from over there too. They take their football seriously lol... Making a WC or Euro is on my bucket list. 

 

My fav teams are Italy and Germany, but I have a fondness (due to friends and other reasons) for Ireland, Wales, Argentina, Brazil, Iceland, Slovakia, and several others. US will always be my #1, but I'm crazy about about a few others too. Loved watching the Euros and Copa, and then going immediately into Gold and the Olympics.

They lost to Sweden before. Sometimes you need a good punch in the nose lol.

Some folks acted like the USM should destroy Canada, but Canada played very well all group stage. I figured it would be close. But they need to kick it up a notch. I really didn't care if we got Costa Rica or Jamaica, as both are pretty good. Gonna be fun.

 

Qatar is the guest team this time. Gold Cup does that, and Qatar got the nod this year as they are the host for the WC. They're pretty solid, but I didn't think they'd win their group. I did expect them to move through though. 

I had so ended up only catching the semi-final, as it was the only one I had time for. But very much had fun watching my italian friend get to see his Country win again.  I will most likely do WC

 

US is my only one, but I do enjoy watching the others from time to time especially in knockout stages, that is always the best time to see them as it is so intense.

 

And very true, need that wake up call, that just because you are more talented, still vulnerable. 

Honestly, with the Men, until they show a consistent thing for years, I will never think they should blow out any team, just knowing our country's history. I thought of going to games in KC

 

Oh okay, i didnt know there was a guess team thing. That is interesting thing to see. I have no clue about them as a team, I really dont expect much of them though, just since they aren't a known country for soccer, nor the ability and high price ability like US can do

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I had so ended up only catching the semi-final, as it was the only one I had time for. But very much had fun watching my italian friend get to see his Country win again.  I will most likely do WC

 

US is my only one, but I do enjoy watching the others from time to time especially in knockout stages, that is always the best time to see them as it is so intense.

 

And very true, need that wake up call, that just because you are more talented, still vulnerable. 

Honestly, with the Men, until they show a consistent thing for years, I will never think they should blow out any team, just knowing our country's history. I thought of going to games in KC

 

Oh okay, i didnt know there was a guess team thing. That is interesting thing to see. I have no clue about them as a team, I really dont expect much of them though, just since they aren't a known country for soccer, nor the ability and high price ability like US can do

Men's team is starting to feel different to me. They have several young guys coming up with serious skill. It will be a few years, but I think they're getting closer and closer.

 

GC has done guest teams since the 90s. Brazil IIRC has been the most frequent guest and was runner up a time or two, or at least top 4.  Peru, S Africa, S Korea have also played. I think Columbia might have played a few times. This is Qatar's first. They're #4 ranked in the AFC (Asia and Middle East). Not great, but world ranked similar to several good/decent CONCACAF teams. Only US and Mex are top 20. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Men's team is starting to feel different to me. They have several young guys coming up with serious skill. It will be a few years, but I think they're getting closer and closer.

 

GC has done guest teams since the 90s. Brazil IIRC has been the most frequent guest and was runner up a time or two, or at least top 4.  Peru, S Africa, S Korea have also played. I think Columbia might have played a few times. This is Qatar's first. They're #4 ranked in the AFC (Asia and Middle East). Not great, but world ranked similar to several good/decent CONCACAF teams. Only US and Mex are top 20. 

It gotta be 4-8 years of consistent before I can feel like they are good. But it is good to see that they are getting better.

 

I see I see, I never knew that they did that. That is certainly interesting thing to see. It will be curious to see how this all starts, I gotta figure out where USMNT is playing for Gold Cup

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

It gotta be 4-8 years of consistent before I can feel like they are good. But it is good to see that they are getting better.

Some of the young guys are clearly a level above what we are used to. The fact they are playing across the pond is a good indicator of our US talent pole improving. I'm snake bit too, but I think it's very fair to be optimistic.

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

 

I see I see, I never knew that they did that. That is certainly interesting thing to see. It will be curious to see how this all starts, I gotta figure out where USMNT is playing for Gold Cup

Yup. I think most of the time is a team from South America (Brazil, Columbia) that kind of blends in with the Central American teams (so not as easy to notice). SKorea and SAfrica stuck out like Qatar does lol... 

 

The US plays in Dallas this weekend. IIRC it goes Dallas/GlendaleAZ, then Houston/Austin, then Vegas for the knockout stage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Some of the young guys are clearly a level above what we are used to. The fact they are playing across the pond is a good indicator of our US talent pole improving. I'm snake bit too, but I think it's very fair to be optimistic.

Yup. I think most of the time is a team from South America (Brazil, Columbia) that kind of blends in with the Central American teams (so not as easy to notice). SKorea and SAfrica stuck out like Qatar does lol... 

 

The US plays in Dallas this weekend. IIRC it goes Dallas/GlendaleAZ, then Houston/Austin, then Vegas for the knockout stage.

True that with the guys going international again. That is certainly something that wasn't common. I still gotta wait though, see us on International outside of CONACAF before knowing if we really are there. 

And that would make sense, that is just not something I ever recognized in the game. And well, boo none in the spots I am going. Vegas would be the only one I would think of going to, but I am guessing it wont fall in line with my time to

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

True that with the guys going international again. That is certainly something that wasn't common. I still gotta wait though, see us on International outside of CONACAF before knowing if we really are there. 

And that would make sense, that is just not something I ever recognized in the game. And well, boo none in the spots I am going. Vegas would be the only one I would think of going to, but I am guessing it wont fall in line with my time to

Right now I just want to win the GC. Beating MX, who is top 20 is the first step. Getting qualified for the WC the next. 

 

I also think the talent in Europe has leveled off a bit as far a National Teams go, which might be good for the US. Germany, England, France, Spain, and others all look good, but not a few levels above like they used to. Not that I think the US could go in an compete right now with them, but I don't see any super teams like we've seen in WC's past. I love Italy so glad they won the Euros. My dream final 4 in the WC would be the US, Italy, Germany, and Argentina. I'd put Ireland or Wales in there lol, but there's just no way lol. I really like Argentina because of their Italian connection and I love Messi. Glad he finally got a majors win with the Copa.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Well USA off to semi-Finals, 1-0 win of Jamaica Goal in the 83rd minute.

Yup, took long enough lol. I was feeling like it was 2015....

 

Playing Qatar will be interesting. I think CA vs MX will be closer than most think too. CA is down a few though.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I was just coming in to post that, really nicely done

Took a very late goal in ET, but I'll take it. 

US really needed that win.

Need those youngsters to continue to develop for the WC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Took a very late goal in ET, but I'll take it. 

US really needed that win.

Need those youngsters to continue to develop for the WC.

Very much so, plus any win over Mexico is always a good for us one. I will continue to think as Mexico as that best CONCACAF team

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Very much so, plus any win over Mexico is always a good for us one. I will continue to think as Mexico as that best CONCACAF team

 

MX's coach has to be on the hot seat now if he wasn't already.

 

I like the USM's team right now. I think they will only get better with some of the young talent. Not saying I'd put them top 10 in FIFA or anything, but they're 20ish now, and I think they'll continue to inch up. 

 

The USW's team on the other hand, seem to fading with current roster. 

 

Prior to both tournaments, I would have said the USM would lose to MX, and the USW would easily win the Olympics. The women need to get their heads on straight and get back to soccer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Myles said:

The women are done in soccer.    Well, done going for the gold.  

Not sure if they're done, but they need to get back to soccer. I think success/fame/politics went to their heads, and they started believing they were invulnerable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure if they're done, but they need to get back to soccer. I think success/fame/politics went to their heads, and they started believing they were invulnerable.

Did you get chance to see the game, I was of course asleep, but heard there was a questionable penalty called before the goal, that led to it, not seen any replays of it 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Did you get chance to see the game, I was of course asleep, but heard there was a questionable penalty called before the goal, that led to it, not seen any replays of it 

I actually got up and watched it. Been on a coffee binge lol. 

 

I think the penalty was fair, but it was close. I think the biggest problem for us though was that our starting GK went out injured.

 

Overall, and purely my opinion, is we should have beaten CA by a few goals. The O was anemic and simply not near the level we've seen from them in the past. Just seemed like we lacked focus, killer instinct, and/or conditioning. It was a better than vs Sweden (D wise), but still a poor performance. 

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Not comparing Rogers to them, more saying that if we kept him it would occupy a spot that would prevent one of those players from being on the roster.   I love PFF as well, not everything like you mentioned but a very good indicator on how a player is performing. Autry runs hot and cold why his rating is so low. When he is cold as we saw here it is frigid.
    • yeah the value of this one could vary a lot depending on what he ends up with.  He could hit 700+ if he has a few more good seasons, maybe more?  They have the receivers to do it, and they dont let off the gas much in blow outs 
    • I can’t seem to locate the old thread. So will just make a new one.    
    • Greetings y'all.   Titans vs. Colts 2: Electric Boogaloo. One thing that everyone can agree on is that both teams are better than Week 3 when Wentz was basically a scarecrow back in the pocket waiting for someone to hit him. But as a visitor to these pages, I can fill in some details from the Nashville sports market on what people are saying down here and some of the mentioned issues of our previous games.   First, the Buffalo game. The final drive which ended up in the failed sneak was discussed ad infinitum in these parts. The most interesting comments came from Jeffrey Simmons who on the Titans D-line made the play against Allen. If you don't know about Simmons yet, you should. He's very good and at three years into the league is getting better every game. He sniffed out that the play was going to be a sneak based on the formation and at that point, he knew he just had to beat his man to the gap and meet Allen head on. And despite Allen's size, I'm giving that one on one matchup to Simmons. Allen slipped because it became obvious in that split second that going low to get the extra foot wasn't going to work, changed his mind and ended up falling to the ground where Simmons wrapped him up. Game over.   As for the Chiefs game, we all knew that they had flaws, but as long as they had Mahomes they could blow you out in any game. So we as fans were just as surprised as anyone to see an honest-to-goodness beat down. But I do not think we did anything different than other teams in approaching KC in recent games. Rush 4, blitz rarely and keep everything in front of you and wait for Mahomes or the team to make mistakes. Score when you get the ball since the defense is suspect. And that's it.    Now for this game. Indy is a much better team than week 3 and Wentz has been efficient and takes care of the football. Jonathan Taylor is well on his way to a 1000+ yard season. And Indy has the usual suspects in the offense who always seem to play the Titans extremely well. After a wretched 0-3 start, the Colts have rebounded winning the last 3 out of 4 games.   The problem is that the only win of those 3 that could be considered "quality" is the 49'ers game on Sunday that was a sloppy slip'n'slide fest. This game is a must win for the Colts for many reasons.  First, it's a measurement of how far the Colts have come from the first three games. But most importantly, a loss would put the Colts 3 games back in the division and even though JAX and the Texans aren't competition this year, a loss would have the Titans win any tie breaker for the title. So it's really a playoff game.   Normally I hate games like this since it's against Indy and on the road with something important on the line, recipes for poor play from our side. But we have the bitter reminder of the Jets loss to remind everyone that we can't just walk in and expect Indy to lie down. It's going to be a physical fight since both teams are built around the running game.   As for the Titans, we now have both A.J. Brown and Julio Jones as targets on the field at the same time. We didn't have that in the Jets loss and while Henry got his yards, we had very little from the passing game. And then there is Henry who is on pace for a consecutive 2000 yard season. If he gets to the second level, anything is possible. the Chiefs sold out to stop the run, often putting 9 in the box AND having everyone within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. The result was A.J. Brown running all over the field 27 points by the half. Lastly, Tannehill is getting better protection from the O-line surrendering only 1 sack in 2 games, versus 20 sacks in the first 5. This is important considering the O-line is always banged up and has rarely played our starters together this year. Last week we played a left tackle 4 days off the street since Lewan was still in concussion protocol.   And our defense has begun to come to life, with the front getting healthy for the first time all year. Harold Landry has 7.5 sacks out of 17 total for the team. Last year the entire team had only 19 for the season. The combination is Landry, Simmons, Bud Dupree and Denico Autry are getting the job done now. The safeties are quality with Hooker back from injury and Byard playing back to his pro-bowl self. The soft underbelly is the corners, but their play has been better in the last couple of weeks, helped out by pressure from the front 4.   The Titans mission is to get a stranglehold on the AFC South in the middle of the most competitive games of the season (Bills, then Chiefs, then Colts and finally the Rams). I think Titans fans would have been happy with 2-2 in this stretch as long as one of them was Indy. We now have the possibility to really take control, but this team still has weaknesses to exploit and the Colts are built to exploit them.
    • If you would even make it out of the stadium with the ball
  • Members

    • landrus13

      landrus13 218

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CoachLite

      CoachLite 519

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • dew5150

      dew5150 126

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • MikeCurtis

      MikeCurtis 2,737

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Fat Clemenza

      Fat Clemenza 362

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • BlackTiger

      BlackTiger 289

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • HoosierHero

      HoosierHero 114

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IndyD4U

      IndyD4U 883

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Matabix

      Matabix 141

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • White shoes

      White shoes 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...