Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wow-Wentz is still working with the rookies

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is crazy. All the players have gone home from OTA. Rookies are still working this week. Carson is out there today working with the rookies. If that doesn’t say hard work I don’t know what does. T

Crazy how you can still find negative posts in a thread about a bunch of players voluntarily putting in work whilst the rest of the league is sitting on its behind.

You've beat this drum to death.....       Nobody is asking you to buy into the PC hype, but this incessant PC negativity, that you feel the need to remind everyone of, is exhaustin

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This is crazy. All the players have gone home from OTA. Rookies are still working this week. Carson is out there today working with the rookies. If that doesn’t say hard work I don’t know what does. This is from pictures today the colts put up.

0A4366E8-3DBE-4F20-87DE-A59EE68F8705.jpeg

Pittman might be right. He's on a mission. No idea if he really feels like doing it or he's doing it out of spite for Philly and their media and trying to prove them wrong... but this is not exactly normal. Either way... good to see and hopefully it translates on the field in September. 

• Like 7

Him and Parris getting some work in together is nice. Granson is going to get a lot of playing time so nice to see Wentz working with him too. Strachan will benefit too.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Him and Parris getting some work in together is nice. Granson is going to get a lot of playing time so nice to see Wentz working with him too. Strachan will benefit too.

Nice to see.

• Like 1

Strachan and Granson have both received high praise from CB on their transition maybe not being as steep as anticipated (think Patmon last year). If that is the case then I gotta believe Strachan makes the roster and Dulin is gone. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Strachan and Granson have both received high praise from CB on their transition maybe not being as steep as anticipated (think Patmon last year). If that is the case then I gotta believe Strachan makes the roster and Dulin is gone. 

Most likely Patmon or Strahan make it along with Dulin.  Only one of the big guys will make it I think.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Most likely Patmon or Strahan make it along with Dulin.  Only one of the big guys will make it I think.

If by chance we acquire Julio I wouldn’t be surprised if we send over a WR as part of the trade. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, IanColts22 said:

I wonder like undrafted WR.  Does like Ballard and Reich listen to Wentz if he says I want to keep undrafted Rookie D over 6th round draft pick rookie C?

I wonder about that. Ballard always jokes he wanted to cut Pascal but Luck talked him out of it.

• Haha 1

Okay, so let me try to get my head a round this.

This is rookie camp, right?

So, while it is great to have Wentz out there building chemistry with the rookies, are Pittman and Campbell essentially taking away some reps with Wentz and from learning the system or getting detailed training running routes, etc?

Or, is it more important/valuable for the rookies to learn from the vets in the WR corps?

Am I over thinking this??  I think it's great and a bit selfish at the same time.

Only place PC is heading is the IR!  I hope I'm wrong but show me something different for once before I can believe in him.  I will gladly eat the biggest plate of crow known to mankind but history is not on his side.  Show me!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

For what it’s worth....

Mike Strachan (pronounced:Strawn) was drafted near the top of the 7th round, pick 229.    He was NOT drafted in the 6th round.   I’ve read a number of posts stating that. 

The 6th round pick was our QB, Sam Ehlinger. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth....

Mike Strachan (pronounced:Strawn) was drafted near the top of the 7th round, pick 229.    He was NOT drafted in the 6th round.   I’ve read a number of posts stating that. 

The 6th round pick was our QB, Sam Ehlinger. 

Show me he can compete at this level because all I heard was he was a MANBEAST at the lower level?  SHOW ME that your not another Deion Cane

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

I have a friend in the Philly area (he's not an Eagles fan).  He said he's hoping that Carson plays at a high level, and that the Eagles stink, just to watch their media with their hair on fire.

I like Jalen and I hope he does well.  Not sure he's a franchise QB though.

• Haha 1

I'm sure that professional athletes have a different work schedule than civilians.  And in their case, running, lifting, keeping in shape is working.  But the guy is getting paid regardless. 

I would think that even an athlete is expected to put in an 8 hour day....EVERY day.....to earn his compensation.  Civilians do (at least they used to before 2020), so why shouldn't athletes?

The NFLPA seems to make it a risk to work out on your own, I get that, but I would think that an athlete with a proper work ethic would show up to work any time the team opened the facilities/schedule to allow the players to do the work.

What else would he be doing with his time this week, playing Fortnite?

Maybe he and a few others are just normal and a lot of his peers are lazy, so by comparison he looks special?

10 hours ago, IanColts22 said:

I wonder like undrafted WR.  Does like Ballard and Reich listen to Wentz if he says I want to keep undrafted Rookie D over 6th round draft pick rookie C?

I would think they they take the info and use it in their decision making process.   

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I'm sure that professional athletes have a different work schedule than civilians.  And in their case, running, lifting, keeping in shape is working.  But the guy is getting paid regardless. 

I would think that even an athlete is expected to put in an 8 hour day....EVERY day.....to earn his compensation.  Civilians do (at least they used to before 2020), so why shouldn't athletes?

The NFLPA seems to make it a risk to work out on your own, I get that, but I would think that an athlete with a proper work ethic would show up to work any time the team opened the facilities/schedule to allow the players to do the work.

Maybe he and a few others are just normal and a lot of his peers are lazy, so by comparison he looks special?

The part here about working on their own is a good point. Maybe these guys are protecting themselves by working out at the facility. If they get injured they don’t have to worry about getting paid Maybe this is more about that. But it looks like they were doing more thrn just working with each other. Looks like they were going through drills with coaches and other players.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Different professions have different working schedules. Some work daily shifts, some work 24 hour shifts followed by 3-4 days of rest, some work and rest seasonally.... some work according to an agreement their union has worked out with the company they work for(NFL players loosely fit into that description). In this case, those sessions are voluntary. Their pay does not depend on that work. A more appropriate example that's closer analogy would be if you work 9-to-5 work schedule Monday to Friday, if your boss held additional work sessions on Saturdays and Sundays and you showed up for those not expecting extra pay for those.

For the future, BTW it would be interesting if teams start tying some bonuses to showing up to those voluntary sessions in the summer. I'm a Utah Jazz fan and the Jazz actually incentivize players to work in Utah in the summers by tying some part of their bonuses to working with Jazz staff in SLC during the summers. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, stitches said:

Different professions have different working schedules. Some work daily shifts, some work 24 hour shifts followed by 3-4 days of rest, some work and rest seasonally.... some work according to an agreement their union has worked out with the company they work for(NFL players loosely fit into that description). In this case, those sessions are voluntary. Their pay does not depend on that work. A more appropriate example that's closer analogy would be if you work 9-to-5 work schedule Monday to Friday, if your boss held additional work sessions on Saturdays and Sundays and you showed up for those not expecting extra pay for those.

For the future, BTW it would be interesting if teams start tying some bonuses to showing up to those voluntary sessions in the summer. I'm a Utah Jazz fan and the Jazz actually incentivize players to work in Utah in the summers by tying some part of their bonuses to working with Jazz staff in SLC during the summers. 

Athletics has no real analogy for what a work schedule should look like.  Ultimately they get paid for game-time performance, that's it.  If that's not up to par...or up to their level of compensation....they become unemployed.

Given that, it just seems normal to me for every player to want to spend their time honing their skills in order to get the maximum possible performance come game time, keeping in mind that the body and mind needs time for rest and recovery..... or rehab.

I think Peyton manning was probably compelled, if not obsessed, to work every chance he got.  Athleticism for him was not a body-draining activity, so he probably spent every idle moment trying to maintain his accuracy and timing.

Like I said, I don't know what else they would be doing with their time if the facility is open and the NFLPA allows them to go to work.  even if it is voluntary or labeled a rookie camp.

14 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I agree, Dulin is ST dude as a gunner so Bubba will be wanting him to stick

While I agree that he has value as a gunner, we added special teamers in other areas of the roster that also play defense - Sean Davis, Shawn Davis, Marvell Tell to name a few. 

If Dulin is outplayed at receiver I'm not sure he sticks this year on the active roster.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

This is crazy. All the players have gone home from OTA. Rookies are still working this week. Carson is out there today working with the rookies. If that doesn’t say hard work I don’t know what does. This is from pictures today the colts put up.

0A4366E8-3DBE-4F20-87DE-A59EE68F8705.jpeg

Wouldn't it have been Crazy if he didn't do this?
  Not such hard work to toss a football around. 
   It easy to believe that CW is getting prepared right to come out playing at a high level from the get go. He knows How to do it. And remember that when he was the leading candidate for MVP he was hitting 7,8,9 receivers each game. 
  I think we have many Excellent weapons to attack and exploit any D's weaknesses. 

I picture similarities to the early 90's Cowboys or the late 90's Broncos offenses for us this season. A very strong running attack with a well controlled passing game. How good our D may be by seasons end is a mystery. But a lot of potential with our front seven. Exciting Times!!!

• Like 5

Got to love offseason tropes :thmup:

At least Wentz looks like he wants to be playing football again, the end during Philly was not pretty and I can't blame him for being less than motivated.

• Like 2

Who would you want throwing passes to your rookie receivers?  Ehlinger?  Reich?  

IDK, it could well be in the starting QBs job description that he's required to be the guy practicing with the rookie receivers.  I mean, what good does it do to have the receivers go to rookie camp taking passes from some schlep.  Eason isn't a rookie either, so he might not have to be there.

Anybody seen Eason getting in the work?

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

IDK, it could well be in the starting QBs job description that he's required to be the guy practicing with the rookie receivers.  I mean, what good does it do to have the receivers go to rookie camp taking passes from some schlep.  Eason isn't a rookie either, so he might not have to be there.

Brady mentioned a little bit about Eason today. He is very impressed how much he as improved with the mental part of the game. I will post the interviews with Brady and Eberflus as soon as they are in youtube.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

While I agree that he has value as a gunner, we added special teamers in other areas of the roster that also play defense - Sean Davis, Shawn Davis, Marvell Tell to name a few. 

If Dulin is outplayed at receiver I'm not sure he sticks this year on the active roster.

Like I said it will depend on Bubba, at backend, I remember seeing that he gets some input for those guys. If so, the fact he has shown would play. Plus, I if Tell gets a starting CB or there about he wouldn't be ST, and I cant imagine we'd will see both Davis's either

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

Vets are not required to be there.    It's not on the starting qbs job description that he is required to be there.   

I think its great he is out there working. Also, we have 3 QBs, no one is losing snaps. 

Plus there are plenty of private throwing sessions and training they all do on their own. Gosh sometimes it's really annoying when people are being negative for no reason. I know it's already been said, but negativity must be warranted. At this point we have to wait and see what PC can do. Even if he does get injured again this season it's still going to be annoying seeing everyone complain about it. 

13 hours ago, DougDew said:

I think Peyton manning was probably compelled, if not obsessed, to work every chance he got.  Athleticism for him was not a body-draining activity, so he probably spent every idle moment trying to maintain his accuracy and timing.

Like I said, I don't know what else they would be doing with their time if the facility is open and the NFLPA allows them to go to work.  even if it is voluntary or labeled a rookie camp.

Absolutely. While this took place during training camp it is in line with DougDew's post. After Saturday pre-season games Peyton would return to the Rose=Hulman campus and ask to be let into the reserved offices to view video. Most players stayed away until later Sunday. The guy was simply obsessed.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

Crazy how you can still find negative posts in a thread about a bunch of players voluntarily putting in work whilst the rest of the league is sitting on its behind.

Crazy? Yes.

But around this forum, not really unexpected anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

I think its great he is out there working. Also, we have 3 QBs, no one is losing snaps. 

Plus there are plenty of private throwing sessions and training they all do on their own. Gosh sometimes it's really annoying when people are being negative for no reason. I know it's already been said, but negativity must be warranted. At this point we have to wait and see what PC can do. Even if he does get injured again this season it's still going to be annoying seeing everyone complain about it. 

4 QBs.  

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the kid from Prairie View beat out Eason?

BTW, I love everything that Ballard does.  He's not perfect but he's in the area code.  That being said, drafting Ehlinger is still a mystery to me.  I don't think anyone was going to draft him.  Great kid, great winning attitude.  Doubtful he's an NFL QB.

9 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

4 QBs.  

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the kid from Prairie View beat out Eason?

BTW, I love everything that Ballard does.  He's not perfect but he's in the area code.  That being said, drafting Ehlinger is still a mystery to me.  I don't think anyone was going to draft him.  Great kid, great winning attitude.  Doubtful he's an NFL QB.

It's a 6th round pick. Comes with lot's of caveats- most of which are whoever you get at that point is a camp body.