Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is It Just Me Or Does Nobody Look Excited About Jacob Eason? None Of The Coaches Or Players

Boss7894

56 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Not yet of course. But once he plays in the preseason maybe. Yes your right it would be a late round pick. But there might be some trade value after this season.

But if he plays well enough to warrant value of a late round pick, wouldn't the Colts keep him as the backup?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Bowen said the same thing, and it makes sense.  But unless they get a Hasselbeck type of backup, it seems like a waste to me.  

Everyone who's watched practice says Eason has the same arm as Wentz, he just doesn't move as well.  Of course, they're playing against air, with redshirts and no rush.  

No one will know anything until they play preseason games and see how he handles pressure.

From what I've heard from many writers, no one thinks Ehlinger can be an NFL QB.  Not that he can't prove them wrong, and I'm rooting for him.  But I doubt he ends up as #2, or even making the 53.

Well Nick Foles might be available via a trade if Eason looks bad. Lol

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Well Nick Foles might be available via a trade if Eason looks bad. Lol

That's not a joke.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they pick him up.  Surely he won't be with Chicago, right?  Or is it a battle between him and Dalton to back up Fields?

16 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Bowen said the same thing, and it makes sense.  But unless they get a Hasselbeck type of backup, it seems like a waste to me.  

Everyone who's watched practice says Eason has the same arm as Wentz, he just doesn't move as well.  Of course, they're playing against air, with redshirts and no rush.  

No one will know anything until they play preseason games and see how he handles pressure.

From what I've heard from many writers, no one thinks Ehlinger can be an NFL QB.  Not that he can't prove them wrong, and I'm rooting for him.  But I doubt he ends up as #2, or even making the 53.

What I'm interested in seeing is his decision making (particularly under pressure), pass location and touch to receivers, and consistency. He needs to show in game competition that he has the whole package, not just a strong arm.  Copied below is one analyst's take on things Jacob needed to work on: 

Jacob Eason - Analyst's Report

Arm Overcompensation: Often times, Eason has over the top confidence in his arm, which results in getting him into trouble because he completely ignores the lower body portion of the throwing process. When doing this, his base/feet are erratic, which ends up in an inconsistent hit/miss rate with his throws. Most passes are fastballs even when targets are short distances away from the launch point. Understanding and having the awareness of when to tone down ball speeds will be needed. Everything is primarily a fastball at 100-mph.

Sacrificial Mechanics: Uberly strong arm leads to a lot of lower body repercussions. He has more than enough “oomph” on passes to get them to intended targets based solely off of his arm and core strength. As a result, there will be plenty of unorthodox body positions prior to passes being thrown. To avoid incoming hits, there will be glimpses of falling away, poor footwork, and bad decision-making. When throwing to the left side, he often falls completely off of his throwing platform.

Seeing the Entire Picture: Poor eye discipline leads to putting intended targets into disadvantageous situations. Locking onto a single target in hopes of them coming open is a constant problem and leaves him oblivious to underneath threats. Speed through progressions and simply knowing when to proceed to the next option are areas that will need to be coached into him. 

Projection: With just over two full seasons of experience as a full-time starter, Eason shows positive signs of growth, but it also involved lots of up and down play. While his peaks are ultra-intriguing, there’s a huge mix of bad plays littered in as well. Right now, he’s more of a thrower than a pitcher – meaning that he wants everything to be fastball instead of switching up his pitches to compensate for the certain types of necessities and for who he’s throwing to. His back and forth dilemma with consistency will result in him always facing questions of whether or not he can take the next step in his development. His arm strength and baseline traits will help him eventually become a starter, but it ultimately will come down to his decision making and if he can hone in on the turnovers. If able to do that, he could eventually turn into a starter.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jacob-eason/egUnuHRv2n

12 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Yeah maybe. Maybe he will just have to wait until his rookie deal is up.  I really don’t think he has a chance to ever be the colts starter. Wentz could be here for 8 to 10 years.

I don't disagree.    I just do not see any situation where the Colts trade him.  If he plays well enough to be tradable, I think the Colts keep him through his rookie contract.  

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

That's not a joke.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they pick him up.  Surely he won't be with Chicago, right?  Or is it a battle between him and Dalton to back up Fields?

With Dalton and fields is does seem unlikely Foles will be there when the season starts. Wentz has said he loves Foles. It would just be very odd.

26 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Eason's potential remains to be seen. My only question is why not spend the 4th round pick on a more pressing need in 2019 if you are not going to utilize him?

I have heard a couple media guys say they will continue keep taking stabs at QB until they know what they have in Wentz. Remember though we had nobody under contract this season if we hadn’t drafted Eason. He was the only QB until we signed Wentz. At the time we drafted Eason we had no future QB.  I like drafting a young guy as a backup. It certainly gives the team a higher ceiling if they need to play then a old vet.

31 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Eason's potential remains to be seen. My only question is why not spend the 4th round pick on a more pressing need in 2019 if you are not going to utilize him?

You have to have a back up QB.    Having one on a rookie deal is smart.  Then there is the chance that the coaches will see something special in who you draft with a middle round pick.   Probably not a bad idea to do this every few years.   The rookie deal is less than what a back up would cost. 

31 minutes ago, Myles said:

You have to have a back up QB.    Having one on a rookie deal is smart.  Then there is the chance that the coaches will see something special in who you draft with a middle round pick.   Probably not a bad idea to do this every few years.   The rookie deal is less than what a back up would cost. 

Agreed.  But if we're truly a contender, and I think we are, we want a guy who can take right over if CW goes down.  Not someone who has to learn on the job.

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Agreed.  But if we're truly a contender, and I think we are, we want a guy who can take right over if CW goes down.  Not someone who has to learn on the job.

There is no such thing. What happened with Foles was rare in 2017. Give me the young guy with a high ceiling any day over a vet.

9 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I understand your point.    However there are not a whole lot of backups who would lead the team to the promised land.    To get a really good back up you have to spend allot and it limits your cap availability.  

Chase Daniel - $3.5 million

A.J. McCarron - $4 million

Mitch Trubisky - $4.5 million

Case Keenum - $5.5 million

Of course if the team isn't sold on your draft picks potential then they would need to bring in a QB.  

17 hours ago, Boss7894 said:

Question is in the title...  I know we're only in OTA's but yeah that is the impression I'm getting.  At least give the man a compliment! Sheesh  

All I've seen on him are compliments as to how he handled getting virtually no on field time last year, his work ethic in the classroom, how he studied JB and PR, etc..... As well as his arm strength and dedication to working out physically as well as being stuck in the playbook.   I mean, they literally bypassed every opportunity to relegate him to third string and have made him option number one as the primary backup.... What else do you need?

3 hours ago, Myles said:

But if he plays well enough to warrant value of a late round pick, wouldn't the Colts keep him as the backup?

Something no one really mentions.... I doubt Ballard ever trades away a backup QB that is solid, has potential, or could be seen as great value.  Not after reading between the lines of all his statements post future Hof qb bailing on him last second.  He'll never get caught with the cupboard completely bare past qb1 again I'd wager.

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

There is no such thing. What happened with Foles was rare in 2017. Give me the young guy with a high ceiling any day over a vet.

How do you know a young guy (in our case, anyone on our roster not named Wentz) has a high ceiling?  Will we be able to tell that from three preseason games?

I agree, having a backup win the SB is rare.  But you want a guy who could win a game or two if your starter goes down for something like a concussion.  MH was the prime example for us.

And I also agree, there are veterans that are useless on the field, like Hoyer.  But some do have worth in the film room and on the sidelines.  That's why Peyton loved having Sorgi.

15 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

How do you know a young guy (in our case, anyone on our roster not named Wentz) has a high ceiling?  Will we be able to tell that from three preseason games?

I agree, having a backup win the SB is rare.  But you want a guy who could win a game or two if your starter goes down for something like a concussion.  MH was the prime example for us.

And I also agree, there are veterans that are useless on the field, like Hoyer.  But some do have worth in the film room and on the sidelines.  That's why Peyton loved having Sorgi.

Because with a vet you already know they don’t have a high ceiling because of previous playing experience. At least with a guy like Eason who has a big arm and by all accounts is smart the ceiling could be higher then a vet. Plus he has already established relationships with the players.

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Because with a vet you already know they don’t have a high ceiling because of previous playing experience. At least with a guy like Eason who has a big arm and by all accounts is smart the ceiling could be higher then a vet. Plus he has already established relationships with the players.

Good discussion.  Let me put it this way - if you're a member of the Colts (Front office, GM, Coach, Player) and you're confident that this team has a very good shot at going all the way - you want the best backups at every position, right?  You do that to mitigate risk, just like any good business.

I think we can all agree on that.

So, we can go back and forth on this all day (and I think we both have good points), but it comes down to if the Colts think Eason is their best shot at mitigating risk at that position.  Not if he has a higher ceiling or a brighter future (IMHO).

We'll probably know after a few practices, and certainly by the second preseason game.

12 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Good discussion.  Let me put it this way - if you're a member of the Colts (Front office, GM, Coach, Player) and you're confident that this team has a very good shot at going all the way - you want the best backups at every position, right?  You do that to mitigate risk, just like any good business.

I think we can all agree on that.

So, we can go back and forth on this all day (and I think we both have good points), but it comes down to if the Colts think Eason is their best shot at mitigating risk at that position.  Not if he has a higher ceiling or a brighter future (IMHO).

We'll probably know after a few practices, and certainly by the second preseason game.

The one vet backup that I think could be good is a guy like Foles who already took a team to the SB with Reich. I just don’t know how well Wentz would do with that. If things were great with Wentz everything would be fine but if they turned bad how long before people would be calling for Foles. 

53 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Something no one really mentions.... I doubt Ballard ever trades away a backup QB that is solid, has potential, or could be seen as great value.  Not after reading between the lines of all his statements post future Hof qb bailing on him last second.  He'll never get caught with the cupboard completely bare past qb1 again I'd wager.

Especially when they are on their rookie contract.  

24 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I think that can play a factor though.   If Reich and Ballard feel Eason is about as good as an available free agent, they may go with Eason because he's under his rookie deal and has more potential.    

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

Especially when they are on their rookie contract.  

I think that can play a factor though.   If Reich and Ballard feel Eason is about as good as an available free agent, they may go with Eason because he's under his rookie deal and has more potential.    

I get what you're saying... My point is that "potential" or "Ceiling" have no bearing if the Colts want a back up that could win games now and keep us in the hunt.  

If they feel Eason is that guy, we're in good shape financially and for potential trade bait in the future.  But if they feel that Eason has potential but he's just not ready, I can see them bringing in a veteran.

20 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I get what you're saying... My point is that "potential" or "Ceiling" have no bearing if the Colts want a back up that could win games now and keep us in the hunt.  

If they feel Eason is that guy, we're in good shape financially and for potential trade bait in the future.  But if they feel that Eason has potential but he's just not ready, I can see them bringing in a veteran.

I do think the "ceiling" can play a role.  Sometimes it may be what they think Eason's ceiling is sometimes it might be what they think (know) the vet ceiling it.   I think we have a decent idea as to what Hoyer's ceiling is.  Even though he may give the team a better shot to win a game if Wentz goes out, they may like Eason's potential enough to go with Eason.  Probably the same with Matt Barkley and Josh McCown.

18 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Eason is a backup and even tho he has some skills...he will probably never be more than that.  There is a higher chance of him being out of the league in 5yrs than a starting QB.  

Based on what? The fact that he's currently QB2?

We've never seen him in game action in a Colts uniform, so I think it's a bit premature to assume he'll never amount to anything other than being a backup QB. There are some greats that started their careers as back-ups that just needed time to develop. Eason may or may not be in that group, but it's a little early to write him off completely.

11 minutes ago, Shive said:

We've never seen him in game action in a Colts uniform, so I think it's a bit premature to assume he'll never amount to anything other than being a backup QB. There are some greats that started their careers as back-ups that just needed time to develop. Eason may or may not be in that group, but it's a little early to write him off completely.

You are talking about the exception.  There has been zero evidence to prove he is any where close to starter material.  Not being active on game day points to my view.  100s of QBs do nothing in this league.  Very few become starters.

40 minutes ago, Shive said:

He did say probably which would be accurate.   As Austin stated, it would be the exception.     Most QB's picked in the 4th round or later do not become starters for long if at all.

On 5/25/2021 at 9:35 PM, EastStreet said:

In all fairness, Pittman is Mr. Sunshine about every single thing and person he's asked about.

The only meaningful, or non-sunshine pumping thing I took out of it was that Rivers ran a tight ship, and Pittman learned a lot from him. It's great he had a demanding vet QB year one. 

Are you excited about Paye?

good point!

20 hours ago, philba101 said:

It's six of one, half dozen the other..... You have him tabbed as your dirt cheap, high potential primary backup.... You could have drafted a dirt cheap player at another need sure, but then you spend more $$ on a vet backup.... It's simple allocation of resources.

56 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

It's six of one, half dozen the other..... You have him tabbed as your dirt cheap, high potential primary backup.... You could have drafted a dirt cheap player at another need sure, but then you spend more $$ on a vet backup.... It's simple allocation of resources.

Yep.    At the time, the QB situation (both starter and back up) was unknown.  Probably knew Brissett wasn't going to be back.  Eason's value was that he looked like he could at minimum be a decent back up QB and maybe a decent starter at some point because he has the tools.   Getting your back up QB through his rookie contract is a smart move.  

22 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

What I'm interested in seeing is his decision making (particularly under pressure), pass location and touch to receivers, and consistency. He needs to show in game competition that he has the whole package, not just a strong arm.  Copied below is one analyst's take on things Jacob needed to work on: 

Jacob Eason - Analyst's Report

Arm Overcompensation: Often times, Eason has over the top confidence in his arm, which results in getting him into trouble because he completely ignores the lower body portion of the throwing process. When doing this, his base/feet are erratic, which ends up in an inconsistent hit/miss rate with his throws. Most passes are fastballs even when targets are short distances away from the launch point. Understanding and having the awareness of when to tone down ball speeds will be needed. Everything is primarily a fastball at 100-mph.

Sacrificial Mechanics: Uberly strong arm leads to a lot of lower body repercussions. He has more than enough “oomph” on passes to get them to intended targets based solely off of his arm and core strength. As a result, there will be plenty of unorthodox body positions prior to passes being thrown. To avoid incoming hits, there will be glimpses of falling away, poor footwork, and bad decision-making. When throwing to the left side, he often falls completely off of his throwing platform.

Seeing the Entire Picture: Poor eye discipline leads to putting intended targets into disadvantageous situations. Locking onto a single target in hopes of them coming open is a constant problem and leaves him oblivious to underneath threats. Speed through progressions and simply knowing when to proceed to the next option are areas that will need to be coached into him. 

Projection: With just over two full seasons of experience as a full-time starter, Eason shows positive signs of growth, but it also involved lots of up and down play. While his peaks are ultra-intriguing, there’s a huge mix of bad plays littered in as well. Right now, he’s more of a thrower than a pitcher – meaning that he wants everything to be fastball instead of switching up his pitches to compensate for the certain types of necessities and for who he’s throwing to. His back and forth dilemma with consistency will result in him always facing questions of whether or not he can take the next step in his development. His arm strength and baseline traits will help him eventually become a starter, but it ultimately will come down to his decision making and if he can hone in on the turnovers. If able to do that, he could eventually turn into a starter.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jacob-eason/egUnuHRv2n

This is an excellent analysis. 

It's exactly what I observed when he played at Georgia.

Eason deserves a chance in this league whether with the Colts or someone else. 

It would be unfair to say he has no shot in this league just because he was taken in the 4th

• 2 weeks later...

Love this quote form 247 sports. 

Last month, Eason described the quarterback room as "completely different" from a season ago, though he's embracing both the competition as well as the camaraderie that he expects to come in the months leading up to kickoff.

"It's completely different," Eason said in late May at Colts OTAs. "Last year was Philip and Jacoby (Brissett). Now, this year, we've got Carson and Sam and Jalen (Morton). I think we've got another great batch of QBs — a younger room, this year, but still an exciting room.

"So there's a lot of great personalities in that room that we all mesh well together — love to compete, love to go out and get better. So I'm really looking forward to working with the guys in the room and competing for that role — and whatever it takes to get the team better and win games is what I'm looking for."

He gets it. I can't wait to see the kid in the Pre.

On 5/26/2021 at 12:09 PM, Wentzszn said:

So you would rather have a young, unproven mid round pick take over a team that is a playoff contender over a veteran QB??

I have to Disagree.  

23 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

So you would rather have a young, unproven mid round pick take over a team that is a playoff contender over a veteran QB??

I have to Disagree.  

Yep. I take Eason over a guy like Hoyer any day. The truth is most of the time if your starting QB goes down there really isn’t that many vets who are going to keep the train on the tracks. So give me the unproven young kid with a high upside.

I think the backup QB is an important question.

Out of the 5 seasons that Wentz has played, he's missed games in 3 of the seasons.  So the backup looks to be getting some playing time at least for a few games.

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Yep. I take Eason over a guy like Hoyer any day. The truth is most of the time if your starting QB goes down there really isn’t that many vets who are going to keep the train on the tracks. So give me the unproven young kid with a high upside.

If your a playoff contender and your starter goes down for a game or few games I would want a backup as good and capable as possible to get that wild card. We just barely by the slimmest of margins sneaked into the playoffs last year. I doubt we make it if a kid who never received a snap in either regular or preseason was thrust into emergency duty for several games.

Now if the backup is a highly touted draft pick like a Trevor Lawrence, Wilson, Justin Fields,  Matt Jones , etc... than that's a different story. But even then I'd prefer a Foles, Dalton, Fitzpatrick to keep my season and playoff Hope's alive.

7 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If your a playoff contender and your starter goes down for a game or few games I would want a backup as good and capable as possible to get that wild card. We just barely by the slimmest of margins sneaked into the playoffs last year. I doubt we make it if a kid who never received a snap in either regular or preseason was thrust into emergency duty for several games.

Now if the backup is a highly touted draft pick like a Trevor Lawrence, Wilson, Justin Fields,  Matt Jones , etc... than that's a different story. But even then I'd prefer a Foles, Dalton, Fitzpatrick to keep my season and playoff Hope's alive.

Eason is better than files we'll be fine

Archived