Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is It Just Me Or Does Nobody Look Excited About Jacob Eason? None Of The Coaches Or Players

Boss7894

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Boss7894 said:

Question is in the title...  I know we're only in OTA's but yeah that is the impression I'm getting.  At least give the man a compliment! Sheesh  

Did you not listen to Pittman?

1 hour ago, Boss7894 said:

Question is in the title...  I know we're only in OTA's but yeah that is the impression I'm getting.  At least give the man a compliment! Sheesh  

What’s there to be excited about? We’ve never seen him take a snap... at all.. against nfl players

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

What’s there to be excited about? We’ve never seen him take a snap... at all.. against nfl players

Which is also why you can’t meaningfully dump on the guy either. He hasn’t even been baptised in the pre season yet. A COVID era rookie who’s slate is totally clean. We’ll find out a few things this year. 

20 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Did you not watch any of the media availability today? If not I suggest you watch them. Pittman and Willis both had high praise for him.

I suggest you watch this lol.

In all fairness, Pittman is Mr. Sunshine about every single thing and person he's asked about.

The only meaningful, or non-sunshine pumping thing I took out of it was that Rivers ran a tight ship, and Pittman learned a lot from him. It's great he had a demanding vet QB year one. 

18 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Are you excited about Paye?

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

In all fairness, Pittman is Mr. Sunshine about every single thing and person he's asked about.

The only meaningful, or non-sunshine pumping thing I took out of it was that Rivers ran a tight ship, and Pittman learned a lot from him. It's great he had a demanding vet QB year one. 

Willis also had some good things to say about Eason.  Not sure the context  of the question he was asked because I haven’t watched his yet. Just the Twitter post from a media guy.

Well let's face it, if things work out, we hopefully never have a reason to be excited about him. Wentz plays every game, looks great, and Eason makes a great living being qb2.

That's me, mr hopeful.

20 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Which is also why you can’t meaningfully dump on the guy either. He hasn’t even been baptised in the pre season yet. A COVID era rookie who’s slate is totally clean. We’ll find out a few things this year. 

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yep but I will say the same thing about him. We don’t know what we have until we see it against NFL players. And to be fair, I’m one who was fine with kicking the tires on Eason as our QB this season. Just saying

6 minutes ago, ColtV said:

Well let's face it, if things work out, we hopefully never have a reason to be excited about him. Wentz plays every game, looks great, and Eason makes a great living being qb2.

That's me, mr hopeful.

I think if Eason looks good in camp and Wentz shows he is the guy we could see Eason traded next off season. I think he will get a chance somewhere if he looks good in the preseason. He should get lots of reps in those games.

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Willis also had some good things to say about Eason.  Not sure the context  of the question he was asked because I haven’t watched his yet. Just the Twitter post from a media guy.

I watched Willis's vid. Slowly trying to get through most of them.

Overall, love his demeanor. Lunch pale type and all about business. 

On Willis on Eason, didn't take too much from his comments. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Yep but I will say the same thing about him. We don’t know what we have until we see it against NFL players. And to be fair, I’m one who was fine with kicking the tires in Eason as our QB this. Just saying

Just saying folks are going to get excited lol, even if we've never seen them play. Even ones that have played, but played sparingly. 

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I think if Eason looks good in camp and Wentz shows he is the guy we could see Eason traded next off season. I think he will get a chance somewhere if he looks good in the preseason. He should get lots of reps in those games.

He would have to show something to make it a pick worthwhile, like a "matt flynn" situation. Right now his biggest asset is low salary. 

19 minutes ago, ColtV said:

He would have to show something to make it a pick worthwhile, like a "matt flynn" situation. Right now his biggest asset is low salary. 

I think with that arm and his size he has a lot that could peak a teams interest. I still am shocked he wasn’t drafted until the fourth round. Plus like you said he would be cheap and teams might take a chance if he shows out in the preseason. I could already tell mentally he has grown up a lot in a year. Big difference in his interview today compared to last year. I always thought he sounded mature but there was a difference today. If we hadn’t got Wentz I would of been perfectly fine bringing in a vet to back him up and letting him start.

4 hours ago, Boss7894 said:

One qb was drafted second overall and reunited with . The other is a 4th round pick.

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

And then what do we do about our QB2?

Unless we are blown away by an incredible offer, I don’t see us trading Eason until after pre-season 2023 or 24...

When it comes to Eason, it is the weirdest thing because we have no idea if he is Curtis Painter level or at least Jacoby Brissett level. Ballard, Reich, or Irsay rarely bring him up. When they do, they say he is a good teammate and a good guy but that is 99% of our team. I have no clue how to even an opinion on this QB. 

The fact that the Colts didn’t bring in a vet QB to compete for the backup job should tell people how the Colts brain trust feels about Eason.  Yes I know they drafted the Texas kid but it sounds like they see him as a weapon like Hill in New Orleans than a challenge for the backup QB spot.

What players and coaches talk about is largely dependant on what they are asked about in interviews and media availability. Right now the media is obsessed with Wentz and they don't ask tons of questions about Eason, which is to some degree normal. Unless some of the beat reporters is writing a story about Eason they are not likely to ask many questions about him from other players and coaches.

As it stands right now it seems like Eason has been getting all the QB1 reps while Wentz was feeling ill. We also know that the team has not made a move for another QB to be our backup, so it seems like at the very least they like him enough to let him enter camp as the backup and prove whether he's ready for that or not. 

38 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The fact that the Colts didn’t bring in a vet QB to compete for the backup job should tell people how the Colts brain trust feels about Eason.  

25 minutes ago, stitches said:

As it stands right now it seems like Eason has been getting all the QB1 reps while Wentz was feeling ill. We also know that the team has not made a move for another QB to be our backup, so it seems like at the very least they like him enough to let him enter camp as the backup and prove whether he's ready for that or not. 

Eason is the #2. If Ballard and Reich didn't think so, they would have signed a vet. We haven't seen it as fans, but there is definitely something there. If they think he could truly become the guy, no way do they trade him unless some team goes Mike Ditka in an offer. 

9 hours ago, Boss7894 said:

I think all the players and coaches are missing Chad Kelly and are praying we can get him back to save our season.

9 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Willis always cracks me up because he never smiles. He always has a frown lol.

Shawn Davis seems to be like that too. His whole interview looked like he was about to start swinging on somebody at any minute.

9 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I don't think there is any trade value in Eason.   Maybe a late round pick.  there are so many QB's taken in rounds 5-7 that we never hear of or see again.   Kind of a dime a dozen thing.  

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The fact that the Colts didn’t bring in a vet QB to compete for the backup job should tell people how the Colts brain trust feels about Eason.  Yes I know they drafted the Texas kid but it sounds like they see him as a weapon like Hill in New Orleans than a challenge for the backup QB spot.

100% agree with this. If they had any serious doubts about Eason, given Wentz's recent injury history, they would have signed a vet. At least, as of right now, they trust him enough.

24 minutes ago, chad72 said:

100% agree with this. If they had any serious doubts about Eason, given Wentz's recent injury history, they would have signed a vet. At least, as of right now, they trust him enough.

According to Zak Keefer he was told that they  feel if Eason doesn’t look good in the preseason there will be a vet they can go after at that time. 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I don't think there is any trade value in Eason.   Maybe a late round pick.  there are so many QB's taken in rounds 5-7 that we never hear of or see again.   Kind of a dime a dozen thing.  

Not yet of course. But once he plays in the preseason maybe. Yes your right it would be a late round pick. But there might be some trade value after this season.

35 minutes ago, chad72 said:

There's still time. Ballard has picked up quite a few players after roster cutdown, I don't think this roster is set, I feel like they still want to see who Eason is.

14 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

There's still time. Ballard has picked up quite a few players after roster cutdown, I don't think this roster is set, I feel like they still want to see who Eason is.

True. That is why I said, as of right now, they trust him enough to give him a chance to show them what he has got.

28 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

According to Zak Keefer he was told that they  feel if Eason doesn’t look good in the preseason there will be a vet they can go after at that time. 

At that time? Sounds like another Brian Hoyer situation of just getting whatever is out there. I hope it doesn't come to that. Really want to see Eason get a legit chance to win that backup job.

I couldn't name half of the back ups in the NFL (who's the Bengals back up for example)...

I think this dude is getting some love as people have pointed out, but really, if it's not over the top, there's a reason. Backups aren't exciting. Frankly, Eason is probably one of few with any hype around him, at all.

7 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

At that time? Sounds like another Brian Hoyer situation of just getting whatever is out there. I hope it doesn't come to that. Really want to see Eason get a legit chance to win that backup job.

I think they feel that Eason will be fine. I would much rather have him then a journeyman vet.  If they had legit concerns they would of went after one.

40 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Bowen said the same thing, and it makes sense.  But unless they get a Hasselbeck type of backup, it seems like a waste to me.  

Everyone who's watched practice says Eason has the same arm as Wentz, he just doesn't move as well.  Of course, they're playing against air, with redshirts and no rush.  

No one will know anything until they play preseason games and see how he handles pressure.

From what I've heard from many writers, no one thinks Ehlinger can be an NFL QB.  Not that he can't prove them wrong, and I'm rooting for him.  But I doubt he ends up as #2, or even making the 53.

12 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I couldn't name half of the back ups in the NFL (who's the Bengals back up for example)...

I think this dude is getting some love as people have pointed out, but really, if it's not over the top, there's a reason. Backups aren't exciting. Frankly, Eason is probably one of few with any hype around him, at all.

You don't remember Ryan Finley beating PIT in primetime?

(Checks and sees that Finley just got cut from HOU) So I guess I don't know either.

Archived