Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Polian on the 2021 Colts

He said that Darius Leonard is the best weak side linebacker in the league period and I agree. He said every position on our team is solid and that we are definitely good enough to make a super bowl run barring injury's to key positions all the way. He said Nelson is on way to a gold jacket but we all knew that.  He likes the the signing of  Eric Fisher. He also said that Ballard is the best GM in the league and should have won executive of the year.  But he did say he's biased that he wears a horseshoe tattoo close to his heart after being fired that's saying a lot. IMO. What's your opinion about what Bill had to say do you agree or disagree? I agree but I have a lot of respect for Bill.  Copy and paste the link below into your browser it's the AFC South review. .  You can also get the podcast on your mobile phone  Inside football with Bill Polian. 

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9yc3MuYXJ0MTkuY29tL2luc2lkZS1mb290YmFsbC1wb2RjYXN0/episode/Z2lkOi8vYXJ0MTktZXBpc29kZS1sb2NhdG9yL1YwLzdlRnV6YVAtT1JEc1JJRjd4MUJMYU9GZlJsUWI2TWRyZUN1YUNPTHpfQmc?sa=X&ved=0C

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
10 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Mr. Polian, as usual, makes good points. The real question is what do the Colts have to do to take the next step?

Protect the QB, get after other teams QB, take ball away from other team and give it back to your QB. Always a recipe for success. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Mr. Polian, as usual, makes good points. The real question is what do the Colts have to do to take the next step?

Julio 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Take the next step? Solidify the QB position and get a break on injuries.

Having Campbell stay healthy, Banogu arrive, and have Lewis/Okereke take the next step would be awesome. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, philba101 said:

That’s an easy answer for me.  Acquire Julio.  A bonafide difference maker and the WR1 we have been lacking for years.  He would turn us into one of the favorites not just a playoff contender.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Pelt said:

Next step?

How about actually beating the other AFC playoff teams?

We split with the Titans and lost to the Bills, Browns, Steelers and Ravens last year. Didn't play the Chiefs.

Until we can show we can do that, I'm not really sure where any talk of a "Super Bowl run" is coming from, regardless of who is saying it. 

I got it - new season and all - and I'm just as hopeful as any one here, but we gotta start beating these other teams before we can ever start talking about a Super Bowl run.

Yes, of 'course we got to beat them first but who says we won't. We have just as much chance of beating them as they have of beating us so let the games begin when they do.  Bill Polian was just saying we have a good enough chance to do so based on our talent that we have. But nobody is for sure of the outcome until after we play them and I to like our chances. 

35 minutes ago, Pelt said:

Next step?

We split with the Titans and lost to the Bills, Browns, Steelers and Ravens last year. Didn't play the Chiefs.

Until we can show we can do that, I'm not really sure where any talk of a "Super Bowl run" is coming from, regardless of who is saying it. 

I got it - new season and all - and I'm just as hopeful as any one here, but we gotta start beating these other teams before we can ever start talking about a Super Bowl run.

Everything you said is accurate and true, but the question is: what will the organization have to do to beat those teams?

4 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Yes, of 'course we got to beat them first but who says we won't. We have just as much chance of beating them as they have of beating us so let the games begin when they do.  Bill Polian was just saying we have a good enough chance to do so based on our talent that we have. But nobody is for sure of the outcome until after we play them and I to like our chances. 

Agreed to a point. 

But the Super Bowl talk has to stop until we actually do. 

I mean, we're going into a season with another brand new QB running the helm.

And I hope he makes the most of this chance.

We only benefit from it if he does. 

But saying we could do it versus actually doing it, are two different things.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Pelt said:

Agreed to a point. 

Welcome to the off season.  This is what we do.   It's what every fan base does.  

9 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Everything you said is accurate and true, but the question is: what will the organization have to do to beat those teams?

Stay the course.

I like the way Ballard is building the team. 

Just hope that it translates into beating these other teams sooner than we may realize.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Welcome to the off season.  This is what we do.   It's what every fan base does.  

Yeah, been there, got it... but Super Bowl?

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

That’s an easy answer for me.  Acquire Julio.  A bonafide difference maker and the WR1 we have been lacking for years.  He would turn us into one of the favorites not just a playoff contender.

How do you aquire Julio?  They can't trade a first or second for him next year because we don't know which one will be going to the Eagles

1 minute ago, Pelt said:

Yeah, been there, got it... but Super Bowl?

Who predicted the Bucs to win the Super Bowl last May?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Who predicted the Bucs to win the Super Bowl last May?

Probably a few more in aquiring Tom Brady versus trading for Carson Wentz  

Well Polian has drafted 8 HOFers Kelly, Thurman, Bruce, Peyton, Edge, Reggie, Freeney, and Mathis so he knows what hes talking about. Before anyone says it, no he didn't draft Marv. That was Bill Tobin. 

24 minutes ago, Pelt said:

Agreed to a point. 

I agree to point to but all that's being said is that we have the talent to do it that's all. But like your saying everything has to fall into place so were both right. I mean last year Brady was a brand new QB for Tampa and they won it with all be it a hall of fame QB. 

10 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Well Polian has drafted 8 HOFers Kelly, Thurman, Bruce, Peyton, Edge, Reggie, Freeney, and Mathis so he knows what hes talking about. Before anyone says it, no he didn't draft Marv. That was Bill Tobin. 

Totally agree! He is a hall of fame executive for a reason. 

1 hour ago, Pelt said:

Next step?

tghe browns and ravens games were on rivers 100 percent , steelers also rivers looked horrible the second half of the game . the bills game colts outplayed them in time of possession and yards a missed chip shot field goal and pittman makes the catch colts win .  with a QB with a strong arm who is mobile and throws lasers on the run defenses cant stack the box like they did with rivers . taylor faced a lot of stacked boxes , the run game is gonna go off and wentz will get 40 touchdowns . 

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

That’s a broken record that just won’t play. $15m cap hit after June 1, plus a high draft pick? For a guy who was banged up last year and is now 32 yrs old? I don’t think so. Yes, he was a heckuva player. But the odds say he’s on the downside of his career. He’s not the player to put the Colts on the path to the Super Bowl. No thanks.

• Thanks 4

The best thing about any opinion from Polian is that he doesn’t sugarcoat anything.  He may not turn out to be entirely right every time.  But you know that he’ll give you an unvarnished evaluation.

Personally, I think we’re likely to be a 2nd tier team — which isn’t bad considering everything we’ve been through in the past 8 years.

I feel like we have open questions in our defensive backfield.  Our receiving corps isn’t elite yet - have some promising youth there, but the Campbell injuries have been an obvious setback. D line is a work in progress, but should be poised for some leaps forward after this draft.  And, of course, everybody will be looking to see which Carson Wentz takes the field and how much of his poor play of late was due to other factors.

Are we ready to dethrone the Chiefs in the AFC?  I don’t think so.  But we should be good enough to make some noise.  We very well could be improved from last year’s team that came a few plays from tripping up the surging Bills.

21 hours ago, Pelt said:

Agreed to a point. 

Well, they could make it to a Super Bowl; It's possible. It was possible in 03, 04, and 05 as well. There was nothing wrong with talking about it then despite not reaching the big game until 2006. 

• Like 1
On 5/24/2021 at 11:48 AM, AwesomeAustin said:

Protect the QB, get after other teams QB, take ball away from other team and give it back to your QB. Always a recipe for success. 

Protect the QB, Improved QB performance, Go after the QB.

I have a lot of respect for Frank Reich, but the next step would be to improve the strategy, play calling and clock management. We learn best from our mistakes, and we have plenty to learn.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

I have a lot of respect for Frank Reich, but the next step would be to improve the strategy, play calling and clock management. We learn best from our mistakes, and we have plenty to learn.

I agree with you totally everybody needs to improve from the coach to the players and Reich's ego isn't so big that he doesn't know he needs to improve. I'm sure he's self evaluating all the time no matter what he might say to the media. 

2 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

I agree with you totally everybody needs to improve from the coach to the players and Reich's ego isn't so big that he doesn't know he needs to improve. I'm sure he's self evaluating all the time no matter what he might say to the media. 

There is a problem with self-evaluation. For example, see Dunning-Kruger Effects. Even coaches need coaches. No one can reach their potential by themselves.

On 5/24/2021 at 5:32 PM, CR91 said:

Good catch on Marvin...   but it’s actually more than 8..  

Polian also drafted Andre Reed who went into the Hall in 2014. 

And he acquired James Lofton when others thought he was done. 

And he hired Marv Levy who turned out to be a Hall of Fame HC.

Polian had a really sharp eye for talent.   Sorry his last few years in Indy went so poorly drafting players. 

• Like 1

At the risk of being too simplistic, I'd say stick with Ballard and score more points than the teams they play. What else can we say at this time of year?

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Polian had a really sharp eye for talent.   Sorry his last few years in Indy went so poorly drafting players. 

Ugh. How did I forget Reed? Thanks for that.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah, I wonder on his last few years if Bill had Chris mostly running things and maybe that's the reason for the poor drafting and the firing.  Because I don't think there was reason ever brought out on the reason for the firing. 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He also hired Tony Dungy who is in the Hall of Fame and he acquired Adam Vinatieri who will be in the Hall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Yeah, I wonder on his last few years if Bill had Chris mostly running things and maybe that's the reason for the poor drafting and the firing.  Because I don't think there was reason ever brought out on the reason for the firing. 

I think it was widely believed it was because he failed to have a competent backup and even potential successor in place for Peyton in the event he went down and missed significant time.  Irsay and the Colts worse nightmare. 

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think it was widely believed it was because he failed to have a competent backup and even potential successor in place for Peyton in the event he went down and missed significant time.  Irsay and the Colts worse nightmare. 

The only thing where he made me upset and disappointed was when he quit on the undefeated season in 2009. That was ridiculous to do and some in here can try to justify it but I will just turn a deaf ear to it. The next day on his show Polian tried to justify and none of the callers were having it. They quit taking calls 25 minutes into the show it got so bad. Polian was a great GM otherwise and drafted several Hall of Famers as mentioned above.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He also hired Tony Dungy who is in the Hall of Fame and he acquired Adam Vinatieri who will be in the Hall.

To be fair, he was basically TOLD to go get Dungy the minute he bacame available, and to do whatever it took. By Irsay

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The only thing where he made me upset and disappointed was when he quit on the undefeated season in 2009. That was ridiculous to do and some in here can try to justify it but I will just turn a deaf ear to it. The next day on his show Polian tried to justify and none of the callers were having it. They quit taking calls 25 minutes into the show it got so bad. Polian was a great GM otherwise and drafted several Hall of Famers as mentioned above.

That may have been a mistake, but it does nothing to take away from his accomplishments.  It was simply his philosophy to rest going into the PO when position was secured..... Also, it isn't like Dungy and the coaching staff pushed back any on the decision....

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Yeah, you have made a good point it also to me he didn't have enough talent around Peyton it showed when Peyton went down with the neck.. I mean Peyton covered up for the lack of talent because Peyton was so great. IMO

• Like 1