Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich on Wentz

Myles

Very short article on Fox News.  

Indianapolis Colts head coach Frank Reich says he’s confident he has the right guy when it comes to quarterback Carson Wentz, but he can’t help but "cringe" when he hears about the reputation he acquired while playing for the Philadelphia Eagles. 

Reich was asked by reporters on Monday why he believes Wentz is still fixable after last season and, without making any excuses, he shot down any idea that the Colts acquired a bust.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/colts-frank-reich-carson-wentz-broken-cringe

5 hours ago, Myles said:

Very short article on Fox News.  

Indianapolis Colts head coach Frank Reich says he’s confident he has the right guy when it comes to quarterback Carson Wentz, but he can’t help but "cringe" when he hears about the reputation he acquired while playing for the Philadelphia Eagles. 

Reich was asked by reporters on Monday why he believes Wentz is still fixable after last season and, without making any excuses, he shot down any idea that the Colts acquired a bust.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/colts-frank-reich-carson-wentz-broken-cringe

Did you really expect him to say anything different?

1 hour ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Did you read the whole story, or are you reacting to the headlines?

Reich said he’d be willing to bet his job in Wentz returning to form.    You don’t hear coaches say that every day.   I wouldn’t say never, but that’s pretty rare. 

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Reich said he’d be willing to bet his job in Wentz returning to form.    You don’t hear coaches say that every day.   I wouldn’t say never, but that’s pretty rare. 

Well, it is literally true. I still think Reich is not adequate as an in game coach but hopefully he will improve. I hope he is right but I have my doubts. I saw some service had Wentz listed as the the number 20 QB in the NFL. I think that is about right. He will need to be much better than that.

13 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I would have thought he wouldn't talk about being so certain that Wentz will be great.  Most coaches say stuff like:

We will work hard to make him a success here.   I am very confident in his abilities.  

54 minutes ago, Myles said:

I would have thought he wouldn't talk about being so certain that Wentz will be great.  Most coaches say stuff like:

We will work hard to make him a success here.   I am very confident in his abilities.  

I think Frank has earned the benefit of doubt, if not as an in game situational play caller, but as a QB efficiency improver by giving Luck and Rivers career years for the 1 year they played with him on several fronts. I will take those metrics for my glass half full approach.

And let's not forget Reich knows and worked with Wentz.  If he didn't know what Wentz is capable of I wouldn't think we would have gone all in on Wentz and would have been more interested in chasing a QB in the draft.

I think for Reich it is about creating a more collaborative environment and putting Wentz in situations where he can excel.  

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Great point. It always seems like coaches give themselves a way out no matter the situation but Reich didn't do any of that here - he literally said hes sticking his neck out here. 

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

To be fair I have to think that Reich effectively did bet his job on Wentz returning to form.  Because if Wentz busts than it's hard to see Reich surviving it unless Easton comes in and and plays like he's Tom Brady.

But the reality is that coaches and GM's have to "bet their jobs" on someone when it comes to a QB.  

That said I think Ballard could survive Wentz busting.  

All that said, I have to say that Reich has given us no reason to doubt him when it comes to rehabilitating quarterbacks.  

17 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Well, it is literally true. I still think Reich is not adequate as an in game coach but hopefully he will improve. I hope he is right but I have my doubts. I saw some service had Wentz listed as the the number 20 QB in the NFL. I think that is about right. He will need to be much better than that.

I don't agree. Most services had Wentz rated in the top 10 QBs in the NFL before last season. I think he'll return to that. 

No. 6: https://www.nfl.com/news/qb-index-week-1-ranking-all-32-starters-entering-2020-nfl-season

No. 6: https://sports.nbcsports.com/2020/07/07/top-40-nfl-quarterback-rankings-2020-chris-simms/

No. 6: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/nfl-power-rankings-ranking-all-32-quarterbacks-even-if-no-1-isnt-a-surprise-130010062.html

No. 8 https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-2020-qb-power-rankings-patrick-mahomes-lamar-jackson-dak-prescott-crack-top-five-to-begin-season/

No. 8 https://www.complex.com/sports/nfl-starting-quarterbacks-ranked-2020-season

1 hour ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Well, he isn't rated anywhere close to top ten now and I don't think he will be. I hope for adequate because that is about the best one could expect under the circumstances. The Eagles didn't think he could be a top ten or they wouldn't have traded him.

Just now, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Just remember, Frank was publicly big on Brissett too. Lol

But in this case, I truly think he believes in Wentz. 

I love the Colts and I love Coach Reich but you just hit the head of the nail about our Coach and that is leaning too much on his heart instead of his head.  I mean in NO WAY POSSIBLE was JB a starting qb in this league but Coach stuck his neck out for him.  I guess time will tell on Wentz.

18 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Actually, Reich preferred Rivers returning over acquiring Wentz.

https://www.sportscasting.com/if-frank-reich-gets-his-way-the-colts-wont-be-trading-for-carson-wentz/

I don’t believe that. They would of been really dumb to bring rivers back and not try and get Wentz. This story was also before they probably even new Wentz was available.

18 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

I love the Colts and I love Coach Reich but you just hit the head of the nail about our Coach and that is leaning too much on his heart instead of his head.  I mean in NO WAY POSSIBLE was JB a starting qb in this league but Coach stuck his neck out for him.  I guess time will tell on Wentz.

Uh, JB had no history of success like Wentz does. No comparison there. And..... when Reich said what he said about JB, he was having to pivot from Luck’s shocking decision to retire, leaving the team high and dry. He said what he had to say in that most difficult of situations to keep the team together and focused.  

26 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Uh, JB had no history of success like Wentz does. No comparison there. And..... when Reich said what he said about JB, he was having to pivot from Luck’s shocking decision to retire, leaving the team high and dry. He said what he had to say in that most difficult of situations to keep the team together and focused.  

So when Coach Frank Reich talks we should just cover our ears because it is essentially nonsense much like Coach Pagano?  I'm glad I have my own thought and not rely solely on our Coach speak!

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Just remember, Frank was publicly big on Brissett too. Lol

But in this case, I truly think he believes in Wentz. 

I may be wrong here, but as I remember the situation you are talking about unfolding, he really didn't have much choice in that situation.

Andrew is done. we are screwed cause Jacoby isn't a NFL starter quality QB?

Nope. Keep it positive, and hope J.B figures it out.

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

I think that's the point (on the bolded). Most coaches are overly positive, and sometimes simply dishonest, in order to prevent melt downs or other things from occurring.

So if fans know their coach or GM is capable of "coachspeak", fans will put less stock in the things they say. And honestly, they shouldn't believe everything that comes out of their mouths. 

That said, I like Reich as a person, and I like the great majority of what Ballard has done, but they are not beyond making mistakes, or intentionally being over positive with sunshine pumping that they know isn't reality.

I agree, Wentz has proven he has a decent ceiling, far higher than JB. He also set a pretty low floor last year too though. I for one am optimistic about Wentz knowing everything I know about the Eagles situation last year. Knowing Reich's conservative nature on O, I also think Wentz will be slow rolled and not asked to be a hero. He may have to be a hero though early in the season given our first several games. Going to be interesting to watch. 

At the end of the day, this is our 3rd season beyond the Luck years. There aren't a lot of excuses to fall on now.

Hopefully not a critical mistake for Reich to hitch his wagon to Wentz.

Sounds like Reich is giving guarantees, and anyone in business knows you stay away from guarantees.  As other posters have noted, if Wentz flames out, Reich could be fired.

Reich should have given himself some cover by saying

• "We see the potential in Carson.  We believe he is still the same probowl player he once was"
  • "We're going to do everything in our power as a franchise to bring that same player back"
  • "I will not rest until the real Carson comes back, I'm going to give it everything I have"

On 5/19/2021 at 2:37 AM, Thebrashandthebold said:

What makes you say that?

Reich is certainly not a perfect game-day coach but saying that he is inadequate seems absolutely wild to me.

37 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Hopefully not a critical mistake for Reich to hitch his wagon to Wentz.

Sounds like Reich is giving guarantees, and anyone in business knows you stay away from guarantees.  As other posters have noted, if Wentz flames out, Reich could be fired.

Reich should have given himself some cover by saying

• "We see the potential in Carson.  We believe he is still the same probowl player he once was"
  • "We're going to do everything in our power as a franchise to bring that same player back"
  • "I will not rest until the real Carson comes back, I'm going to give it everything I have"

Or maybe Reich has more integrity than that.  Maybe rather than acting like a politician he is willing to say exactly what he thinks and risk his job on it.  I sure wish there were more people that would stick to their beliefs rather than make sure they have an escape hatch.

After 20 years in the military and several years teaching leadership I came to a few ideas on leadership.  Leaders don't have to be the smartest, best, etc.  I came up with two traits that I found bring people forward as natural leaders:

1. A leader won't ask others to do things they wouldn't do.
  2. A leader demonstrates we are all in this together (in other words, the leader will go down with the team).

I think Reich is demonstrating qualities of a natural leader.  

35 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

What makes you say that?

Reich is certainly not a perfect game-day coach but saying that he is inadequate seems absolutely wild to me.

Adequate means expectable.  Pretty much average to maybe a bit above average.  Reich is not one of the top 10-12 in game play callers in the league IMO.    

https://fansided.com/2021/01/09/colts-frank-reich-mistakes-playoffs/3/

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

Adequate means expectable.  Pretty much average to maybe a bit above average.  Reich is not one of the top 10-12 in game play callers in the league IMO.    

https://fansided.com/2021/01/09/colts-frank-reich-mistakes-playoffs/3/

Firstly, adequate means average, acceptable. It does not mean above average. Inadequate certainly means below average. Even if you're saying that Reich is just outside the top 10-12 playcallers, that's nowhere near inadequate.

Secondly, game-day coaching does not begin and end with playcalling. 

Thirdly, you can't just post a link to a FanSided opinion piece and expect that to somehow prove something.

16 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

So when Coach Frank Reich talks we should just cover our ears because it is essentially nonsense much like Coach Pagano?  I'm glad I have my own thought and not rely solely on our Coach speak!

Maybe it is more about being wise enough to read in between the coach speak. It is clear that MANY of our average fans "hear it but were not listening" types. Some get it, some never will.
 I read PRnumN#_s1 and see something that is180 bass ackwards from reality. Comedy really.

15 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

Firstly, adequate means average, acceptable. It does not mean above average. Inadequate certainly means below average. Even if you're saying that Reich is just outside the top 10-12 playcallers, that's nowhere near inadequate.

Secondly, game-day coaching does not begin and end with playcalling. 

Thirdly, you can't just post a link to a FanSided opinion piece and expect that to somehow prove something.

He falls somewhere between 13 and 25, so he very well be below average thus inadequate.   Perhaps he improves this year.  

The link proved he had a playoff game with poor game management.  

1 hour ago, Mackrel829 said:

What makes you say that?

How many games did he cost the team last year with his in game decisions. Certainly the Buffalo game in the playoffs. There were others. He has no idea when to take the points and when to try for more. Hopefully he will get better but right now, he is costing the team games. 

On 5/18/2021 at 4:33 PM, Thebrashandthebold said:

26 minutes ago, Myles said:

He falls somewhere between 13 and 25, so he very well be below average thus inadequate.   Perhaps he improves this year.  

Bazinga!

51 minutes ago, Myles said:

I would say 13-25 is almost the exact range that I would say defines average. By your own estimation of Reich, he's not inadequate. I'd say it's reasonable to draw distinctions somewhere close to the following:

1-5: Well above average

6-11: Above average

12-22: Average

23-27: Below average

28-32: Well below average

The bell curve distribution dictates that the band's at the extremes are smaller, whereas the band that defines average is much larger. To say that Reich is an inadequate game-day coach would mean that he's at best the 23rd ranked coach. I think that's silly.

And the link didn't prove anything. It was just some guy taking about his opinion. Even if he had substantiated his opinion with some kind of factual base of evidence - which he didn't - you said it yourself - 'he had a playoff game with poor game management'. And even that I'd have to ask you to clarify that he displayed poor end of game management.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I don't need a link to tell me that.

I saw the game myself !

35 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

How many games did he cost the team last year with his in game decisions. Certainly the Buffalo game in the playoffs. There were others. He has no idea when to take the points and when to try for more. Hopefully he will get better but right now, he is costing the team games. 

One. The Buffalo game.

I wasn't a fan of some of the decisions in the Buffalo game but the decision to go for it wasn't the issue. The issue was the playcall once that decision had been made.

As I said, Reich certainly isn't a perfect game-day coach, and I don't think anyone, including Reich himself, is calling that he is. Screwing up one playcall in a big spot doesn't make him inadequate, however.

19 hours ago, Hoose said:

He said what he had to say in that most difficult of situations to keep the team together and focused.  

It's like some fans would be happy if he had said, "Well, Luck is retired and all we have at this time is Jacoby. He's average and perhaps good at best.....but we'll work our tails off to get what we can from him"

The single most important thing at that moment was for Jacoby to hear that the team believed in him, and he was the guy. Who gives a rats behind what fans heard. And for clarity, I do not think Carson needs to hear it the way Jacoby did. Carson has already shown has has high level skills as an NFL QB, even in the face of extreme pressure. 

1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

I don't need a link to tell me that.

I saw the game myself !

Yep, me too.  

1 hour ago, Mackrel829 said:

As I said, Reich certainly isn't a perfect game-day coach, and I don't think anyone, including Reich himself, is calling that he is. Screwing up one playcall in a big spot doesn't make him inadequate, however.

And that is on Reich.     

I gotta say, we're 3 and a half months out from the season and I'm already tired of the Wentz narrative. Reich must be sick to his stomach of having to talk about the decision all the time. All things considered, Wentz wasn't even really a risky move. Would it have been better to get a mediocre veteran QB like Dalton and have our ceiling be 8-9 wins? Would it have been better to trade a bunch of 1st's for Stafford or to trade up 10 spots for a rookie we had no idea could potentially still be there? 

On 5/19/2021 at 12:33 PM, Valpo2004 said:

To be fair I have to think that Reich effectively did bet his job on Wentz returning to form.  Because if Wentz busts than it's hard to see Reich surviving it unless Easton comes in and and plays like he's Tom Brady.

But the reality is that coaches and GM's have to "bet their jobs" on someone when it comes to a QB.  

That said I think Ballard could survive Wentz busting.  

All that said, I have to say that Reich has given us no reason to doubt him when it comes to rehabilitating quarterbacks.  

Honestly, I’m on the other side of the spectrum in this one.  

I don’t think Wentz bet his job at all.   Because the cost to acquire Wentz wasn’t very high.  The franchise isn’t hurt if CE doesn’t work out as it would be if we had traded an even bigger haul of picks for a drafted QB and the draft pick doesn’t work out.   That would be much worse.  

I think Reich and Ballard are joined at the hip on Wentz.   Ballard has been talking up Wentz more and more of late and CB has also talked up Reich of late.  Reich is about to get signed to a new long-term contract in the next few months and I don’t see Reich being the fall guy if Wentz doesn’t work out.  But after Reich did so well with Luck and Rivers,  I think Ballard LOVES Reich and strongly believes in him. 

I don’t see Ballard throwing Reich under the bus if he can’t resurrect Wentz.  

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly, I’m on the other side of the spectrum in this one.  

I don’t think Wentz bet his job at all.   Because the cost to acquire Wentz wasn’t very high.  The franchise isn’t hurt if CE doesn’t work out as it would be if we had traded an even bigger haul of picks for a drafted QB and the draft pick doesn’t work out.   That would be much worse.  

I think Reich and Ballard are joined at the hip on Wentz.   Ballard has been talking up Wentz more and more of late and CB has also talked up Reich of late.  Reich is about to get signed to a new long-term contract in the next few months and I don’t see Reich being the fall guy if Wentz doesn’t work out.  But after Reich did so well with Luck and Rivers,  I think Ballard LOVES Reich and strongly believes in him. 

I don’t see Ballard throwing Reich under the bus if he can’t resurrect Wentz.  

I can't imagine the Colts with Ballard but not Reich, nor with Reich but not Ballard. They share such a coherent, singular vision for the present and future of the football team that they're almost a package deal at this point.

Even if Wentz doesn't pan out, I hope that the fallout isn't too substantial. Trading for him was a risk but we weren't going to fill the hole at QB this off-season without taking a risk, unless we signed someone with a ceiling significantly lower than Wentz's and were prepared to settle for an 8-9 season.

The move Ballard ended up making was the best compromise between risk and reward imo. Whatever we get from the QB position this season is likely going to be the best we could have got from the QB position when you take into account what it took to get it.

Don’t forget Ballard  did almost as much work on Wentz in 2016 that Reich did in Phili. Ballard has  connections to Wentz college coach.  So this isn’t just Ballard trusting Reich. Ballard really likes him too. Made getting Wentz a easy decision when both the coach and GM had previously put work in when he was drafted in 2016. Ir really was a perfect storm that came together. We couldn’t of asked for a better situation. Colts got very lucky.  

Archived