Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NCF's First Look 2022 Draft (by Need)


Recommended Posts

 

So, let's get this out of the way at the beginning.     Carson Wentz is our first round pick for 2022.    I'm guessing we will be picking roughly in the same spot, maybe a little later...

 

Where do we go from there?     Here's my first look....    I think of it as the more toys for Wentz edition...

 

1.   Wentz

2.    TE      Rumor is Doyle will retire after this season.   Frank loves TE's, so let's give him one that can really make an impact.

3.    CB     How long will Rhodes and Carrie be able to deliver high level play.    Feels like it's time to face that.

4.    WR    I thought we'd spend higher than a 7 on a WR in the '21 draft.    This may be Hilton's last year.   Still lots of young question marks.

5.    RB     Will we re-sign Hines?    Maybe?    Likely?    How about Wilkins?    With questions here,  I think a 5 might bring us a decent RB.

6.    OL     Depth to stash away on the PS as I expect Fries to be.

7.    LB     More depth?    How long will Adams and Franklin remain with the Colts?

 

I'm sure some of my draftnik friends have some ideas about the next class.    What do you see the Colts doing in 2022?

 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d have to think that TE and LT are at the top of the list. Fisher is only on a 1 year deal after all. 
 

CB really scares me personally though. Carrie and Rhodes gone after the season and who knows what we will get from Ya-Sin and Tell.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’d have to think that TE and LT are at the top of the list. Fisher is only on a 1 year deal after all. 
 

CB really scares me personally though. Carrie and Rhodes gone after the season and who knows what we will get from Ya-Sin and Tell.

As you likely guessed, I think we either re-sign Fisher or re-sign one OR both of Tevi and/or Davenport.   Figured if we couldn’t find a LT that worked for us at pick 54 this year,  we’re likely not going to find one in the 2nd round next year. 

I think we’d fill the hole with someone until 2023 and use our 1st in that draft to fill the LT.  But for now, I’m guessing EF.   
 

As to CB, if we had to, we could go corner in the 2nd and TE in the 3rd.  But, for whatever reason, I’m far more optimistic on Rock and Tell than most here.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Doyle doesn’t retire already had him being cut saving the Colts $5.45 million against the cap next season.  A replacement in FA would be TE Dallas Goedert (Eagles).  In Round 1 am projecting TE Jalen Wydermyer from Texas A&M to be a target.

 

Both Rhodes and Carrie I project to be unsigned.  RCB Rasul Douglas (Raiders) would be a backup RCB might be a target.  If we had the cap space RCB Darious Williams (Rams) went UDFA to NFL star 11m valuation (15m easily).  Still hold out on adding FS Marcus Williams (Saints) who is playing on a 10.6m tag.  Should get around 4yr/60m 35m guaranteed.   In the end I doubt the Colts sign any of these options and focus on the draft.

 

I like the Sam Tevi addition and think the Colts got a steal of a deal for him.  Am hoping Fisher is healthy and can start by week 5 giving the Colts an option to trade Tevi to a team that just drafted a rookie LT that is struggling or got injured and need trade capital.  See Will Holden as our 3rd LT and Davenport getting released during cut downs.  One idea is to sign Fisher to his one year contract this year and use additional capital to go after someone younger like RT Brian O’Neill (Vikings).  Was very high on O’Neill coming out of college as a LT.  O’Neill and Smith are two of the best players currently playing RT that moved from original college positions and have flourished.  O’Neill would be a long-shot addition but would create options to mix-n-match scenarios here.  Either way by not drafting a rookie OL that can start we are going to be financially hurting I believe next off-season unless we cut players like Doyle and Stewart with a Post-June 1 designation.  I don’t see the Colts being aggressive next off-season in Free Agency but below is an early look to next off-season have been working on.

 

FA Adds

RT Brian O’Neill (move to LT) 4yr/64m 16m APY with 30m guaranteed.  Option 2: resign Fisher with 2 year extension 12m/15m

 

Cut

IDL Grover Stewart – save 8.125m or 9.378m June 1 Cut

TE Jack Doyle – save 5.45m

 

Resign/Extend

LB Darius Leonard -not a true MLB. My original offer 5 years $82.5 million 40m guaranteed 

RT Braden Smith 4/58m 30m guaranteed

LG Nelson 5 years $85 million (17m) = 15m, 16m, 17m, 18m, 19m – top LG makes 14.781m / yr

TE Mo Allie-Cox 3yr/20.8 or 6.93 APY (5.5-6.8-8.5) 

WR Zach Pascal 3/24 8m APY (5.4-8.6-10) 

LDE Tyquan Lewis 3/11.4m 3.8m APY (2.2m, 3.8m, 5.4m) 

RB Nyheim Hines 3yr/13.645m (4.55m APY) (base 3.9m, 4.5m 5.65m with 1.35m roster bonus each year) Similar to A. Eckler 

DE Kemoko Turay 1/2m 

LT Will Holden 1/1.4m 1

C Joey Hunt 1/1.25m 9

RG/LG Chris Reed (OTC eval 6.3m backup capable of 13.4m pay play) signed for 1.127m renew 1/1.75m

RG Glowinski 2yr/18m

DE Al-Quadin Muhammad 1yr/4m

12.063m cap space

IDL Isaac Rochell 2/3-3.5m

9.063m cap space

 

2022 Early Draft 

 

Edge

Kayvon Thibodeaux, Edge, Oregon RD 1

Drake Jackson, Edge, USC – or LB good 2019 RD 1

Myjai Sanders, EDGE, Cincinnati – all day every day good hand moves and pass deflections RD 2

George Karlaftis III, DL, Purdue – solid 2019 7.5 sacks 1 FF 2 PDs – great field awareness hands for Ints

Aidan Hutchinson, IDL, Michigan 2019 only decent year 4.5 sacks 2 FFs 6 PDs.  6’6” 269 LBS.  Great catch-up speed RD 2-3

 

CB

 

Derek Stingley JR, CB, LSU – career year in 2019 6 INTs and 15 PDs.  Low 2020 but FF RD 1

Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida – low tkls, 2-3 INTs/yr improved 2020 with 11 PDs RD 1-2

Ahmad Gardner, CB, Cincinnati – 3 INTs each year 2020/2019 and 6-8 PDs RD 1

Roger McCreary, CB, Auburn – 1 FF capable of INTs and decent at PDs 6/11 2020/2019

 

S

Kyle Hamilton, S, ND – hands for INTs and 6-7 PDs/yr RD 1

Kolby Harvell-Peel, S, Oklahoma State – sacks, FFs, hands for INTs and 2019 13 PDs RD 2-3

 

WR

Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson RD 2

George Pickens, WR, Georgia RD 1

John Metchie III, WR, Alabama RD 2-3

Romeo Doubs, WR, Nevada

 

LB

Christian Harris, LB, Alabama – size, sacks, FF, Int RD 1-2

Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah - size, sacks, FF, Int – low on PDs

 

OL

RG Cain Madden, Marshall Finished top 10 among RGs

RT Evan Neal, Alabama R2-3

RT Darian Kinnard, Kentucky R3-4

 

Come draft day be it Round 1 or Round 2 would like to see the Colts address either WR or CB early but with our Edges I wouldn’t be upset if we drafted someone like Myjai Sanders (Cincinnati).  Realize pay scale always influx and we hope the cap increases at the end of next year and players might just play to bigger contracts.  Good baseline to start with and reason why teams draft rookies to help off-set the rising costs of contract extensions.  

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Kayvon Thibodeaux, Edge, Oregon RD

Derek Stingley JR, CB, LSU 

Kyle Hamilton, S, ND 

It'll have been a rough year if we're in the position to draft any of these 3

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

So, let's get this out of the way at the beginning.     Carson Wentz is our first round pick for 2022.    I'm guessing we will be picking roughly in the same spot, maybe a little later...

 

Where do we go from there?     Here's my first look....    I think of it as the more toys for Wentz edition...

 

1.   Wentz

2.    TE      Rumor is Doyle will retire after this season.   Frank loves TE's, so let's give him one that can really make an impact.

3.    CB     How long will Rhodes and Carrie be able to deliver high level play.    Feels like it's time to face that.

4.    WR    I thought we'd spend higher than a 7 on a WR in the '21 draft.    This may be Hilton's last year.   Still lots of young question marks.

5.    RB     Will we re-sign Hines?    Maybe?    Likely?    How about Wilkins?    With questions here,  I think a 5 might bring us a decent RB.

6.    OL     Depth to stash away on the PS as I expect Fries to be.

7.    LB     More depth?    How long will Adams and Franklin remain with the Colts?

 

I'm sure some of my draftnik friends have some ideas about the next class.    What do you see the Colts doing in 2022?

 

Howdy NCF!

I agree with you that this is probably going to be TY's last year.  And with the question marks hanging over Parris Campbell, WR may wind up being a position of high focus next year.

My early targeted player is David Bell, WR, Purdue.  He's 6'2" 205# and has been very productive.

2019 12 games 86 rec for 1035 yards and 7 TD

2020 6 games 53 rec for 625 yards and 8 TD

It appears the biggest question on him that could drag him down the draft board is his 40 time.  I've seen everything from the high 4.4's to 4.7.  The better his time, the higher he goes.  If it gets too good, he'll be off the board by the time we pick in the late 2nd round.

My second player to watch is TE Jahleel Billingsley from Alabama.  He got his first chance to play some decent minutes last year, and got himself 18 rec for 287 yards and 3 TD's in 7 games.  Will have to see how many more snaps they give him, and how much he progresses in his third year.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2021 at 3:45 AM, NewColtsFan said:

As you likely guessed, I think we either re-sign Fisher or re-sign one OR both of Tevi and/or Davenport.   Figured if we couldn’t find a LT that worked for us at pick 54 this year,  we’re likely not going to find one in the 2nd round next year. 

I think we’d fill the hole with someone until 2023 and use our 1st in that draft to fill the LT.  But for now, I’m guessing EF.   
 

As to CB, if we had to, we could go corner in the 2nd and TE in the 3rd.  But, for whatever reason, I’m far more optimistic on Rock and Tell than most here.  

Tell is a weird one because he missed an entire season of football. Who knows where he’s at in his development. This is a big year for Ya-Sin. We don’t even know if he’ll be a starter again this year. Last year didn’t go well and he after the benching he saw his snap count drastically drop. I’m surprised they didn’t bring a cheap Vet in to compete in camp at least. Either way I expect them to take a good look at corner next year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/17/2021 at 10:02 PM, NewColtsFan said:

 

So, let's get this out of the way at the beginning.     Carson Wentz is our first round pick for 2022.    I'm guessing we will be picking roughly in the same spot, maybe a little later...

 

Where do we go from there?     Here's my first look....    I think of it as the more toys for Wentz edition...

 

1.   Wentz

2.    TE      Rumor is Doyle will retire after this season.   Frank loves TE's, so let's give him one that can really make an impact.

3.    CB     How long will Rhodes and Carrie be able to deliver high level play.    Feels like it's time to face that.

4.    WR    I thought we'd spend higher than a 7 on a WR in the '21 draft.    This may be Hilton's last year.   Still lots of young question marks.

5.    RB     Will we re-sign Hines?    Maybe?    Likely?    How about Wilkins?    With questions here,  I think a 5 might bring us a decent RB.

6.    OL     Depth to stash away on the PS as I expect Fries to be.

7.    LB     More depth?    How long will Adams and Franklin remain with the Colts?

 

I'm sure some of my draftnik friends have some ideas about the next class.    What do you see the Colts doing in 2022?

 

 

Drafting potentially in the middle to latter part of Round 2, in all likelihood, and how pass offense and defense are valued in this league, yes it is likely a TE or CB will be our pick. Unless there is a talent like Pitts or Gronk in that spot, TEs have slid in the past few drafts and CBs tend to be over drafted too, so I might lean CB there to put an end to the 1 year russian roulette of CBs for future roster investment. To me, the best value however might come with the WR position with Round 2 typically being a good spot to land a future No.1 or No.2 WR when TY is let go. 2 guys I like are Drake London, WR, USC, who is a 2 sport athlete (basketball, football) and Ty Fryfogle, WR, Indiana, who seems in the mold of Tylan Wallace, he just produces no matter where you line him up, slot or outside. 

 

Not saying it is impossible but I dearly hope that Fisher looks good at the end of 2021 so that we can have a team friendly deal for 2 years extending Fisher through 2023 (maybe he can give us a friendly deal since we trusted him during his time of injury and rehab??). That would give us the draft of 2023 to draft our LT finally where we will have our first round pick. Lots of questions on that front but I doubt Ballard will waste time if Fisher shows any signs of being back to form in extending him like he did a 2 year deal with Castanzo.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

 

Drafting potentially in the middle to latter part of Round 2, in all likelihood, and how pass offense and defense are valued in this league, yes it is likely a TE or CB will be our pick. Unless there is a talent like Pitts or Gronk in that spot, TEs have slid in the past few drafts and CBs tend to be over drafted too, so I might lean CB there to put an end to the 1 year russian roulette of CBs for future roster investment. To me, the best value however might come with the WR position with Round 2 typically being a good spot to land a future No.1 or No.2 WR when TY is let go. 2 guys I like are Drake London, WR, USC, who is a 2 sport athlete (basketball, football) and Ty Fryfogle, WR, Indiana, who seems in the mold of Tylan Wallace, he just produces no matter where you line him up, slot or outside. 

 

Not saying it is impossible but I dearly hope that Fisher looks good at the end of 2021 so that we can have a team friendly deal for 2 years extending Fisher through 2023 (maybe he can give us a friendly deal since we trusted him during his time of injury and rehab??). That would give us the draft of 2023 to draft our LT finally where we will have our first round pick. Lots of questions on that front but I doubt Ballard will waste time if Fisher shows any signs of being back to form in extending him like he did a 2 year deal with Castanzo.

Interesting that you liked Wallace too.   He was my 4th round favorite and was sitting there for us when we passed on him to take Granson, the tight end.   I guess it was one or the other?   I liked Wallace and his profile even suggested he was a Ballard guy.   I hoped Granson would be there in the 5thR. 
 

Oh well...   water under the bridge. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2021 at 9:13 PM, OhioColt said:

If Doyle doesn’t retire already had him being cut saving the Colts $5.45 million against the cap next season.  A replacement in FA would be TE Dallas Goedert (Eagles).  In Round 1 am projecting TE Jalen Wydermyer from Texas A&M to be a target.

 

Both Rhodes and Carrie I project to be unsigned.  RCB Rasul Douglas (Raiders) would be a backup RCB might be a target.  If we had the cap space RCB Darious Williams (Rams) went UDFA to NFL star 11m valuation (15m easily).  Still hold out on adding FS Marcus Williams (Saints) who is playing on a 10.6m tag.  Should get around 4yr/60m 35m guaranteed.   In the end I doubt the Colts sign any of these options and focus on the draft.

 

I like the Sam Tevi addition and think the Colts got a steal of a deal for him.  Am hoping Fisher is healthy and can start by week 5 giving the Colts an option to trade Tevi to a team that just drafted a rookie LT that is struggling or got injured and need trade capital.  See Will Holden as our 3rd LT and Davenport getting released during cut downs.  One idea is to sign Fisher to his one year contract this year and use additional capital to go after someone younger like RT Brian O’Neill (Vikings).  Was very high on O’Neill coming out of college as a LT.  O’Neill and Smith are two of the best players currently playing RT that moved from original college positions and have flourished.  O’Neill would be a long-shot addition but would create options to mix-n-match scenarios here.  Either way by not drafting a rookie OL that can start we are going to be financially hurting I believe next off-season unless we cut players like Doyle and Stewart with a Post-June 1 designation.  I don’t see the Colts being aggressive next off-season in Free Agency but below is an early look to next off-season have been working on.

 

FA Adds

RT Brian O’Neill (move to LT) 4yr/64m 16m APY with 30m guaranteed.  Option 2: resign Fisher with 2 year extension 12m/15m

 

Cut

IDL Grover Stewart – save 8.125m or 9.378m June 1 Cut

TE Jack Doyle – save 5.45m

 

Resign/Extend

LB Darius Leonard -not a true MLB. My original offer 5 years $82.5 million 40m guaranteed 

RT Braden Smith 4/58m 30m guaranteed

LG Nelson 5 years $85 million (17m) = 15m, 16m, 17m, 18m, 19m – top LG makes 14.781m / yr

TE Mo Allie-Cox 3yr/20.8 or 6.93 APY (5.5-6.8-8.5) 

WR Zach Pascal 3/24 8m APY (5.4-8.6-10) 

LDE Tyquan Lewis 3/11.4m 3.8m APY (2.2m, 3.8m, 5.4m) 

RB Nyheim Hines 3yr/13.645m (4.55m APY) (base 3.9m, 4.5m 5.65m with 1.35m roster bonus each year) Similar to A. Eckler 

DE Kemoko Turay 1/2m 

LT Will Holden 1/1.4m 1

C Joey Hunt 1/1.25m 9

RG/LG Chris Reed (OTC eval 6.3m backup capable of 13.4m pay play) signed for 1.127m renew 1/1.75m

RG Glowinski 2yr/18m

DE Al-Quadin Muhammad 1yr/4m

12.063m cap space

IDL Isaac Rochell 2/3-3.5m

9.063m cap space

 

2022 Early Draft 

 

Edge

Kayvon Thibodeaux, Edge, Oregon RD 1

Drake Jackson, Edge, USC – or LB good 2019 RD 1

Myjai Sanders, EDGE, Cincinnati – all day every day good hand moves and pass deflections RD 2

George Karlaftis III, DL, Purdue – solid 2019 7.5 sacks 1 FF 2 PDs – great field awareness hands for Ints

Aidan Hutchinson, IDL, Michigan 2019 only decent year 4.5 sacks 2 FFs 6 PDs.  6’6” 269 LBS.  Great catch-up speed RD 2-3

 

CB

 

Derek Stingley JR, CB, LSU – career year in 2019 6 INTs and 15 PDs.  Low 2020 but FF RD 1

Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida – low tkls, 2-3 INTs/yr improved 2020 with 11 PDs RD 1-2

Ahmad Gardner, CB, Cincinnati – 3 INTs each year 2020/2019 and 6-8 PDs RD 1

Roger McCreary, CB, Auburn – 1 FF capable of INTs and decent at PDs 6/11 2020/2019

 

S

Kyle Hamilton, S, ND – hands for INTs and 6-7 PDs/yr RD 1

Kolby Harvell-Peel, S, Oklahoma State – sacks, FFs, hands for INTs and 2019 13 PDs RD 2-3

 

WR

Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson RD 2

George Pickens, WR, Georgia RD 1

John Metchie III, WR, Alabama RD 2-3

Romeo Doubs, WR, Nevada

 

LB

Christian Harris, LB, Alabama – size, sacks, FF, Int RD 1-2

Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah - size, sacks, FF, Int – low on PDs

 

OL

RG Cain Madden, Marshall Finished top 10 among RGs

RT Evan Neal, Alabama R2-3

RT Darian Kinnard, Kentucky R3-4

 

Come draft day be it Round 1 or Round 2 would like to see the Colts address either WR or CB early but with our Edges I wouldn’t be upset if we drafted someone like Myjai Sanders (Cincinnati).  Realize pay scale always influx and we hope the cap increases at the end of next year and players might just play to bigger contracts.  Good baseline to start with and reason why teams draft rookies to help off-set the rising costs of contract extensions.  

Forgetting we don't have a 1st round pick (more than likely)?

 

On 5/19/2021 at 8:18 AM, tvturner said:

It'll have been a rough year if we're in the position to draft any of these 3

And guessing Wentz gets hurt early and often.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, RNGDShobby said:

Forgetting we don't have a 1st round pick (more than likely)?

 

And guessing Wentz gets hurt early and often.

Now your sounding like an Eagles' fan.  Philly gets a confirmed 2nd Round pick and that is the baseline to go with until proven otherwise with a potential upgrade to being a First Round pick.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Now your sounding like an Eagles' fan.  Philly gets a confirmed 2nd Round pick and that is the baseline to go with until proven otherwise with a potential upgrade to being a First Round pick.

I'm a realist. Unless Wentz gets seriously injured, he's playing 95+% of snaps.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2021 at 5:13 AM, OhioColt said:

If Doyle doesn’t retire already had him being cut saving the Colts $5.45 million against the cap next season.  A replacement in FA would be TE Dallas Goedert (Eagles).  In Round 1 am projecting TE Jalen Wydermyer from Texas A&M to be a target.

 

Both Rhodes and Carrie I project to be unsigned.  RCB Rasul Douglas (Raiders) would be a backup RCB might be a target.  If we had the cap space RCB Darious Williams (Rams) went UDFA to NFL star 11m valuation (15m easily).  Still hold out on adding FS Marcus Williams (Saints) who is playing on a 10.6m tag.  Should get around 4yr/60m 35m guaranteed.   In the end I doubt the Colts sign any of these options and focus on the draft.

 

I like the Sam Tevi addition and think the Colts got a steal of a deal for him.  Am hoping Fisher is healthy and can start by week 5 giving the Colts an option to trade Tevi to a team that just drafted a rookie LT that is struggling or got injured and need trade capital.  See Will Holden as our 3rd LT and Davenport getting released during cut downs.  One idea is to sign Fisher to his one year contract this year and use additional capital to go after someone younger like RT Brian O’Neill (Vikings).  Was very high on O’Neill coming out of college as a LT.  O’Neill and Smith are two of the best players currently playing RT that moved from original college positions and have flourished.  O’Neill would be a long-shot addition but would create options to mix-n-match scenarios here.  Either way by not drafting a rookie OL that can start we are going to be financially hurting I believe next off-season unless we cut players like Doyle and Stewart with a Post-June 1 designation.  I don’t see the Colts being aggressive next off-season in Free Agency but below is an early look to next off-season have been working on.

 

FA Adds

RT Brian O’Neill (move to LT) 4yr/64m 16m APY with 30m guaranteed.  Option 2: resign Fisher with 2 year extension 12m/15m

 

Cut

IDL Grover Stewart – save 8.125m or 9.378m June 1 Cut

TE Jack Doyle – save 5.45m

 

Resign/Extend

LB Darius Leonard -not a true MLB. My original offer 5 years $82.5 million 40m guaranteed 

RT Braden Smith 4/58m 30m guaranteed

LG Nelson 5 years $85 million (17m) = 15m, 16m, 17m, 18m, 19m – top LG makes 14.781m / yr

TE Mo Allie-Cox 3yr/20.8 or 6.93 APY (5.5-6.8-8.5) 

WR Zach Pascal 3/24 8m APY (5.4-8.6-10) 

LDE Tyquan Lewis 3/11.4m 3.8m APY (2.2m, 3.8m, 5.4m) 

RB Nyheim Hines 3yr/13.645m (4.55m APY) (base 3.9m, 4.5m 5.65m with 1.35m roster bonus each year) Similar to A. Eckler 

DE Kemoko Turay 1/2m 

LT Will Holden 1/1.4m 1

C Joey Hunt 1/1.25m 9

RG/LG Chris Reed (OTC eval 6.3m backup capable of 13.4m pay play) signed for 1.127m renew 1/1.75m

RG Glowinski 2yr/18m

DE Al-Quadin Muhammad 1yr/4m

12.063m cap space

IDL Isaac Rochell 2/3-3.5m

9.063m cap space

 

2022 Early Draft 

 

Edge

Kayvon Thibodeaux, Edge, Oregon RD 1

Drake Jackson, Edge, USC – or LB good 2019 RD 1

Myjai Sanders, EDGE, Cincinnati – all day every day good hand moves and pass deflections RD 2

George Karlaftis III, DL, Purdue – solid 2019 7.5 sacks 1 FF 2 PDs – great field awareness hands for Ints

Aidan Hutchinson, IDL, Michigan 2019 only decent year 4.5 sacks 2 FFs 6 PDs.  6’6” 269 LBS.  Great catch-up speed RD 2-3

 

CB

 

Derek Stingley JR, CB, LSU – career year in 2019 6 INTs and 15 PDs.  Low 2020 but FF RD 1

Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida – low tkls, 2-3 INTs/yr improved 2020 with 11 PDs RD 1-2

Ahmad Gardner, CB, Cincinnati – 3 INTs each year 2020/2019 and 6-8 PDs RD 1

Roger McCreary, CB, Auburn – 1 FF capable of INTs and decent at PDs 6/11 2020/2019

 

S

Kyle Hamilton, S, ND – hands for INTs and 6-7 PDs/yr RD 1

Kolby Harvell-Peel, S, Oklahoma State – sacks, FFs, hands for INTs and 2019 13 PDs RD 2-3

 

WR

Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson RD 2

George Pickens, WR, Georgia RD 1

John Metchie III, WR, Alabama RD 2-3

Romeo Doubs, WR, Nevada

 

LB

Christian Harris, LB, Alabama – size, sacks, FF, Int RD 1-2

Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah - size, sacks, FF, Int – low on PDs

 

OL

RG Cain Madden, Marshall Finished top 10 among RGs

RT Evan Neal, Alabama R2-3

RT Darian Kinnard, Kentucky R3-4

 

Come draft day be it Round 1 or Round 2 would like to see the Colts address either WR or CB early but with our Edges I wouldn’t be upset if we drafted someone like Myjai Sanders (Cincinnati).  Realize pay scale always influx and we hope the cap increases at the end of next year and players might just play to bigger contracts.  Good baseline to start with and reason why teams draft rookies to help off-set the rising costs of contract extensions.  

Cut Big Grover Stewart? He has done nothing but improve each year and Ballard emphasizes d-line depth/talent. I like most of your list but don't see this part happening.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 10:02 PM, NewColtsFan said:

 

So, let's get this out of the way at the beginning.     Carson Wentz is our first round pick for 2022.    I'm guessing we will be picking roughly in the same spot, maybe a little later...

 

Where do we go from there?     Here's my first look....    I think of it as the more toys for Wentz edition...

 

1.   Wentz

2.    TE      Rumor is Doyle will retire after this season.   Frank loves TE's, so let's give him one that can really make an impact.

3.    CB     How long will Rhodes and Carrie be able to deliver high level play.    Feels like it's time to face that.

4.    WR    I thought we'd spend higher than a 7 on a WR in the '21 draft.    This may be Hilton's last year.   Still lots of young question marks.

5.    RB     Will we re-sign Hines?    Maybe?    Likely?    How about Wilkins?    With questions here,  I think a 5 might bring us a decent RB.

6.    OL     Depth to stash away on the PS as I expect Fries to be.

7.    LB     More depth?    How long will Adams and Franklin remain with the Colts?

 

I'm sure some of my draftnik friends have some ideas about the next class.    What do you see the Colts doing in 2022?

 

 

On 5/18/2021 at 5:44 PM, stitches said:

The regular disclaimers about "don't draft for need" apply, but for the purposes of this exercise I'd say:

 

1. Wentz

2. LT

3. CB

4. WR

5. TE

5.2. LB

6. S

7.RB

7.2 K

I’ve just gone back and read this thread again. NCF, pretty good job nailing the key needs in 2022. Adding in the extra 5th and 7th rounders (hopefully), here’s my similar take:

2. CB

3. TE

4. WR

5. DT

5. LB

6. RB

7. TE

7. OL

 

CB: Got to keep plugging away at this critical position. Rock probably isn’t a starter; can Tell step up? Big questions as of now. 

TE: Time to replace Doyle.

WR: TY gone? they’ll need another flyer. Hopefully to backup up a breakout player like Campbell.

DT: Depth always needed. 
LB: Depth needed.

RB: Mack likely gone. Hines too? Hope not.
TE: Depth

OL: Depth. Got to keep plugging away here too. Never enough quality backups. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/17/2021 at 10:02 PM, NewColtsFan said:

 

So, let's get this out of the way at the beginning.     Carson Wentz is our first round pick for 2022.    I'm guessing we will be picking roughly in the same spot, maybe a little later...

 

Where do we go from there?     Here's my first look....    I think of it as the more toys for Wentz edition...

 

1.   Wentz

2.    TE      Rumor is Doyle will retire after this season.   Frank loves TE's, so let's give him one that can really make an impact.

3.    CB     How long will Rhodes and Carrie be able to deliver high level play.    Feels like it's time to face that.

4.    WR    I thought we'd spend higher than a 7 on a WR in the '21 draft.    This may be Hilton's last year.   Still lots of young question marks.

5.    RB     Will we re-sign Hines?    Maybe?    Likely?    How about Wilkins?    With questions here,  I think a 5 might bring us a decent RB.

6.    OL     Depth to stash away on the PS as I expect Fries to be.

7.    LB     More depth?    How long will Adams and Franklin remain with the Colts?

 

I'm sure some of my draftnik friends have some ideas about the next class.    What do you see the Colts doing in 2022?

 

I like it overall, I guess it depends on the health of Fish whether or not we should pursue another LT in Round 3 or 4.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like it overall, I guess it depends on the health of Fish whether or not we should pursue another LT in Round 3 or 4.

I think we draft a LT in the first of 2023 or 24. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think we draft a LT in the first of 2023 or 24. 

I agree with this. Next year, with no first round pick and likely picking late in the 2nd round, the pickings will be slim. It depends on Fisher being resigned, but if he is, they could wait until ‘24 to get his replacement. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Hey NCF,

 

I've been looking at CB's in case we go that direction in 2022.  And potentially without a first round pick, we would have to be satisfied with whomever comes out in the late 2nd.  Two CB's have found their way onto my radar:

Ahmad Gardner, Cincinnati - He's got length at 6-2 188# and explosiveness.  Great awareness for what's going on, and where the ball is going to be.  His best trait is his mind.  He's starting to get 1st round attention, so he may be off the board by the time we pick.  Downsides - He's very aggressive, and gets his share of penalties.  Recently bulked up, but still plays thin.  Can get pushed around, and his tackles are ok, but not big.

Trent McDuffie, Washington - Not necessarily a Ballard kind of guy length-wise at 5-11 197#.  And doesn't have a lot of INT's to his resume.  But he fits this defense better, tackling from the CB position with authority.  A leader, and well-spoken.  Has kick return experience.  Looks small, but plays big.

Definitely would like to see how they play this year, and what they look like at the 2022 combine.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2021 at 2:13 AM, OhioColt said:

DE Kemoko Turay 1/2m 

 

Kayvon Thibodeaux, Edge, Oregon RD 1

Drake Jackson, Edge, USC – or LB good 2019 RD 1

 

Realize pay scale always influx

I hope you don't mean Turay at a half-million, but rather 1 - 2 million.
Are you predicting we have a Rd1 draft pick?
Do you mean 'pay scale always in flux'?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...