Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Comparative Average Age Of Team Roster 2012 Vs 2011

UndecidedFrog

Given the many changes to the team roster in this off season, I have done a calculation to compare the average age of the official 2011 53-player roster against the current 63-player 2012 roster (as of today).

2011 official 53-player roster average age = 26.02 years

2012 unofficial 63-player roster average age = 25.17 years.

It seems we have gotten one year younger, approximately one year later.

Given the many changes the team roster in this off season, I have done a calculation to compare the average age of the official 2011 53-player roster against the current 63-player 2012 roster (as of today).

2011 official 53-player roster average age = 26.02 years

2012 unofficial 63-player roster average age = 25.17 years.

doesnt look like a huge difference but thats probably because we didnt let go as many guys as it felt like and added younger guys in return

Another way to look at it is to compare the number of players 30 years of age and older from each roster:

2011 official 53-player roster:

30 years and older players:

Adam Vinatieri 38

Kerry Collins 38

Peyton Manning 35

Justin Snow 34

Jeff Saturday 34

Reggie Wayne 32

Ryan Diem 31

Dallas Clark 31

Tyler Brayton 31

Dwight Freeney 31

Robert Mathis 30

Gary Brackett 30

2012 unofficial 63-player roster:

30 years and older players:

Adam Vinatieri 39

Justin Snow 35

Reggie Wayne 33

Dwight Freeney 32

Robert Mathis 31

Cory Redding 31

Keep in mind that while the stat just appears to be 1 year, in reality, that's an average of 1 year for 53 players. Reading it as just one year might not seem significant, but when you consider that every single player is an average of 1 year younger, that seems more significant

Keep in mind that while the stat just appears to be 1 year, in reality, that's an average of 1 year for 53 players. Reading it as just one year might not seem significant, but when you consider that every single player is an average of 1 year younger, that seems more significant

Yes, this is a pretty significant change. It seems the FO is rebuilding the team not only larger, but younger as well.

Especially when you consider every player is a year older!

It is good to have the mixture of youth and experience. We will get slightly younger again with the draft.

Then, I bet we get slightly older next year when we spend some cash on free agents who have played out their rookie contract or their first contract. :)

Also keep in mind that if they kept the roster exactly the same as the previous year, it would end up being exactly 1 year older on average, so by that logic, the team actually got 2 years younger...

The team has also gained an average of 8 lbs per player.

2011 official 53-player roster average weight = 240.8 lbs

2012 unofficial 63-player roster average weight = 248.6 lbs.

8lbs in one year? Big whoop, I can do better than that. I accept that challenge!

Yes...actually the team is over 2 years younger..and will be significantly younger after the draft of 9 21/22 year olds. However..that doesn't make the team better. The only stat that will matter is the win/loss stat. As of today I can't say we will see significant change in that stat as the significant change in age. I mean this stat doesn't do a lot to say we are better. Proof in point is that by getting rid of Peyton Manning (one of our oldest players) didn't make us any better at all. It is nice to have a youthful team..hopefully one that will get a lot better...lets stay optimistic..because we all know that there is just as big a chance that these youth don't work out as there is they do.

So since this age average is "as of today" I assume it doesn't account for the draft picks we'll be signing? No doubt they will bring down the average immensely.

That's correct.

The draft may or may not bring the average weight up or down, depending on who we draft.

Luck is 247 lbs.

NTs, and OL tend to be heavier,

DBs and WRs tend to be lighter.

About two months ago I went through all 32 teams rosters and counted how many players each team had over the age of 30 (this included free agents who have since left or are still unsigned).....Colts had something like 12, which was pretty average.....Chargers had the most with 19....Texans the fewest with 3 (I think)......anyway, by the "over 30/ under 30" standard, the Colts will begin the season as one of the youngest teams with (probably) only 4 offensive and defensive players being over 30 (and even these not by much) : Wayne- 33, Freeney- 32, Mathis- 31, Redding- 31. This of course excludes Snow who may not be on the roster, and Vinitieri who, (cough) should not be on the roster.

That's significant. We have several holdovers from last season that automatically push that average up as they get older. The fact that we've brought it down a full year despite that shows that we've gotten younger. And we haven't even drafted yet. That will probably give us another year, pending final cuts.

That's significant. We have several holdovers from last season that automatically push that average up as they get older. The fact that we've brought it down a full year despite that shows that we've gotten younger. And we haven't even drafted yet. That will probably give us another year, pending final cuts.

Yes, it is dramatic, even before the draft!

Younger doesn't mean better.

.............I would never argue with another food product......it doesn't mean better....but the Manning era began with youth, and alot of it.....Hopefully the current staff will be as good as evaluating young talent as well as Bill Polian (used to).....