Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Leonard, Big Q, Glowinski and Smith Contracts


Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, rayski said:

Future highest paid guard in the league, future highest paid linebacker, top 5 paid tight tackle, has to be done :cheers:

And future superbowl? Not one skill player set to get a big contract. A little alarming. Most on the cap sunk into the middle of the defense and offense. Do u see that as a formula for going all the way??

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

smith should of been a probowler the las two seasons . he gave up zero sacks starting 15 games , that is amazing he is a shut down tackle and elite run blocker

What I originally typed was: "Slight update on the DL and (Braden Smith's initials) contract negotiations."   But spell check changed it to: "Slight update on the DL and nonsense c

Of course the answer is Brady or Lawrence.   But that wasn’t Ballard’s choice.  He had his quarterback at the time.   He didn’t need his QB.    You don’t pass on players of Nelson’s caliber. Yo

6 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Hmmm...part of me wonders if one of the big 3 isn’t re-signed. I am sort of surprised that none of them have been. Then again, that’s likely more of a summer move.
 

Not that they shouldn’t...but from a logistical roster construction perspective...that’s likely ~$55M to (3) players.

 

For a GM who values flexibility with the cap, it’s going to be increasingly difficulty to find it with several top tier non-QB contracts. They could have 1/3 of a salary cap going to (4) non-QBs.

 

They did Kelly's extension in September, just before the season started.

 

As for the percentage of the cap, the correct projection is to compare the projected cap hits to the projected salary cap figures. Just because contracts account for X percentage of today's salary cap doesn't mean they'll be the same percentage of the salary cap two or three years from now. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Nelson, Smith, and Leonard will be extended, and so will Fisher at some point.

 

I think Glow, Lewis, Hines, Banogu, and maybe Turay will be allowed to test the market and probably not get resigned.  

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

And future superbowl? Not one skill player set to get a big contract. A little alarming. Most on the cap sunk into the middle of the defense and offense. Do u see that as a formula for going all the way??

Apparently you never get tired of posting this nonsense. They are more likely to make the Super Bowl than a team built with poor OL and DL. Those lines will keep them in games that they would normally be blown out. We had terrible OLs for years until they changed their strategy and started spending first and second round picks to fix the problem. Yes, they will be paid and they will make this team a winner for years to come. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Colts have the cap space to sign Leonard and Smith to long-term deals this year and Nelson fortunately for us we are able to extend his 5th-year rookie contract option and post-pone his big payday a year later.

 

Leonard is not a true MLB so I doubt he will reset the market value at the linebacker position.  Originally thought Leonard could get a 5 year/$100 million contract with $60 million guaranteed but think it will be closer to 5 years/$82.5 million with $40 million guaranteed.

 

Smith am guessing closer to a 4 year/$58 million contract with $30 million guaranteed.

 

Depending on whom we keep/sign at left tackle I think will set the stage of how much cap space we will have left to resign players.  Do we keep an older Fisher or try to go after Viking's O'Neill (RT) and move him back to his LT position he played in college.  Both will cost a lot to retain either way and have some flexibility with O'Neill and Smith combination.

 

Do think Glowinski will be a cap causality since he is already on the books for $7.5 million for 2021 and expect him to make over $8 million in 2022.   The only other pending FA of note after this season to play RG Brandon Scherff but expect him to be too high priced out of the Colt range (4yr/$66 million).  So looks like OL Chris Reed might be a future option or another current OL on the roster might be able to take over. 

 

As for the draft will have to keep in mind RG Baer Hunter from Appalachian State.  Hunter's team's OL ranked as a top-15 unit nationally that was very good at running the football.  Biggest issue have seen about Hunter from his game tapes is his a  drive killer with potential penalties with unnecessary holding and block in the backs once the play has extended past the second level.  The young man I do like best at this point in time is RG Cain Madden from Marshall.  Madden's run-blocking abilities improved form 60.3 to 74.2 from 2019/2020 and he finished top 10 among RGs.

 

Wouldn't be surprised next off-season if we cut IDL Grover Stewart – save 8.125m or 9.378m June 1 Cut and TE Jack Doyle – save 5.45m.  Some of the other FA's doubt we resign are Stallworth, Rochell, Muhammad, Carrie, Mack, Eldrenkamp, Dulin and Campbell.

 

After we resign Leonard and Smith to big contract extensions can see the Colts resign, MAC, Pascal, Lewis, Turray,Holden, Hunt and Reed.  Hines should also get resigned and looking at something similar to Austin Eckler contract APY $4.55 million 3 year/$13.645 million (base 3.9 million, 4.5 million, 5.65 million with 1.35 million roster bonus each year).  One FA name I like to replace Stewart with a younger improved version is Bear's IDL Bilal Nichols at best am comparing him to IDL Dalvin Tomlinson where I would offer him a 3 year/$33 million $11 million APY with $20 million signing bonus.  Again we get back either $8.125 million or $9.378 million depending on when we release Stewart under this scenario which after these movements only leaves the Colts with a projected $7-8 million in cap space currently.

 

Will have to do more research and play around with the futures but can envision the Colts will need to find starting WR, RG, RCB with backups at RDT, RDE, RB, FS, SS,  and TE.

 

Early watch list

RD 1 Draft picks 2022

TE Jalen Wydermyer, Texas A&M

George Pickens, WR, Georgia

Drake Jackson, Edge, USC

Ahmad Gardner, CB, Cincinnati

Derek Stingley JR, CB, LSU

Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida

 

RD 2 picks

Myjai Sanders, EDGE, Cincinnati

Kolby Harvell-Peel, S, Oklahoma State

Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson

John Metchie III, WR, Alabama

Aidan Hutchinson, IDL, Michigan

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2021 at 9:18 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

And future superbowl? Not one skill player set to get a big contract. A little alarming. Most on the cap sunk into the middle of the defense and offense. Do u see that as a formula for going all the way??

Alarming? 
 

When the time comes, you don’t think Pittman is going to get a big contract?   You don’t think Taylor is going to get a big contract?   The answers are right in front of you, and for some odd reason, you’re not seeing it.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2021 at 12:18 AM, Moosejawcolt said:

And future superbowl? Not one skill player set to get a big contract. A little alarming. Most on the cap sunk into the middle of the defense and offense. Do u see that as a formula for going all the way??

 

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

When the time comes, you don’t think Pittman is going to get a big contract?   You don’t think Taylor is going to get a big contract?   The answers are right in front of you, and for some odd reason, you’re not seeing it.

I'm going to have to agree with Moosejaw on this.  He's talking in terms of middle of the field positions and more edge of the field positions.  Including DEs and Corners, the only outside players (dynamic positions) I see earning big contracts could possibly be the two players you mentioned, Pittman and Taylor, which will be three years from now.

 

That will be about 7 years from when Ballard took over.  Two edge players earning contracts within the first 7 years cannot be described as superbowl caliber drafting.  I'm sorry, its just not.

 

Injuries or having TY occupy one of the spots for a while does not excuse it.  We have not had great WRs, EDGEs, or Corners since before Ballard got here.

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as aligning salary cap with positions and how that plays into building a superbowl team, we can compare to Polian.  Not saying that his is the best way, but he would always let his 43 zone WILL get the big contract with another team, then replace him with a draft pick on a rookie deal.  And they were good productive LBers from day one as a rookie, just like Leonard was productive as a rookie.

 

Mike Petersen, Cato June only played for the Colts when they were on their rookie contracts, IIRC.

 

Ballard seems ready to have the Colts be the team to give our WILL that big contract.

 

Sometimes its not about the quality of the player.  Sometimes you have to look at how easy it is to replace him considering their role on the team and the skills that college players come to the NFL with in their first year.

 

That frees up resources to apply to the other positions that may be harder to fill from the college pool.

 

Interesting to watch what happens.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Alarming? 
 

When the time comes, you don’t think Pittman is going to get a big contract?   You don’t think Taylor is going to get a big contract?   The answers are right in front of you, and for some odd reason, you’re not seeing it.  

I don't know if Pittman is going to get big contract. He has only played one year. Taylor  would b interesting. He could put up monster numbers in the next three years behind this line and if Wentz pans out. U look at every team that signs their rb to a 2nd contract. The exception maybe Henry but he is only a year into his deal.  I am not sure if Ballard believes in giving rbs big contracts or letting them walk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Going to be expensive. This is going to be interesting to follow. This is a big test for Ballard

 

Fully expect Leonard to get something like 5 year 100 mil with 55G

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Won't last long imo. Fred Warner will want more.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Going to be expensive. This is going to be interesting to follow. This is a big test for Ballard

Not really.  He is a great player.   You pay great players.    

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jvan1973 said:

Not really.  He is a great player.   You pay great players.    

The one thing to  note is that his best year was his 1st. He has racked up a lot of tackles. Do people feel that his numerous tackles has or will cause him to wear down sooner rather than later? Just asking. Is it similar to a running back getting a lot of carries?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Leonard is good but not the greatest LB playing today.  He excels at his position because our defensive scheme allows him to do what he does best.  As a starting point, a $12 million a year contract would be realistic expectations for what he has proven at a position that is not a true MLB.  At most can see Leonard making $16.5 million in his 3rd year of his contract renewal making him within top-10 range of LBs with the potential to make $18.5 million range in the last year or two of his contract.  Do expect Darius to get a range from $25-35 million in guaranteed money.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The one thing to  note is that his best year was his 1st. He has racked up a lot of tackles. Do people feel that his numerous tackles has or will cause him to wear down sooner rather than later? Just asking. Is it similar to a running back getting a lot of carries?

Did Ray Lewis wear down after 4 years?  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OhioColt said:

Leonard is good but not the greatest LB playing today.  He excels at his position because our defensive scheme allows him to do what he does best.  As a starting point, a $12 million a year contract would be realistic expectations for what he has proven at a position that is not a true MLB.  At most can see Leonard making $16.5 million in his 3rd year of his contract renewal making him within top-10 range of LBs with the potential to make $18.5 million range in the last year or two of his contract.  Do expect Darius to get a range from $25-35 million in guaranteed money.

He will get a lot more than that

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Did Ray Lewis wear down after 4 years?  

There is no talking to that poster, he simply just doesn't think Leonard or Nelson should be paid big money. He has been rambling on about this for 3 months now. I tried along with many others to convince him otherwise but to no avail. Leonard is top 5 at his LB position, so he will be paid that way. I would like to see anyone name 6 better LB's than Leonard, good luck. Regarding Nelson he is the best OG in the league IMO. Both these players will get signed to long term deals and to big money, they deserve it. Can't let your best players just walk, especially when they are young. That would make no sense.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DougDew said:

As far as aligning salary cap with positions and how that plays into building a superbowl team, we can compare to Polian.  Not saying that his is the best way, but he would always let his 43 zone WILL get the big contract with another team, then replace him with a draft pick on a rookie deal.  And they were good productive LBers from day one as a rookie, just like Leonard was productive as a rookie.

 

Mike Petersen, Cato June only played for the Colts when they were on their rookie contracts, IIRC.

 

Ballard seems ready to have the Colts be the team to give our WILL that big contract.

 

Sometimes its not about the quality of the player.  Sometimes you have to look at how easy it is to replace him considering their role on the team and the skills that college players come to the NFL with in their first year.

 

That frees up resources to apply to the other positions that may be harder to fill from the college pool.

 

Interesting to watch what happens.

None of those LB’s are close to Leonard in skill and production. Not only has the game changed since any of this but if you give those defenses an actual great impact WILL like Leonard you have a different defense altogether. One of the most impactful players was a safety by the name of Bob Sanders. If you have him plus a Darius type guy in front of him you are looking like a more dominant D IMO. 
 

I will say though if Ballard had a Cato June rather Darius Leonard he would probably let him walk as well. It’s more than just a LB position. You have that energy and immediate impactful game play from this guy. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There is no talking to that poster, he simply just doesn't think Leonard or Nelson should be paid big money. He has been rambling on about this for 3 months now. I tried along with many others to convince him otherwise but to no avail. Leonard is top 5 at his LB position, so he will be paid that way. I would like to see anyone name 6 better LB's than Leonard, good luck. Regarding Nelson he is the best OG in the league IMO. Both these players will get signed to long term deals and to big money, they deserve it. Can't let your best players just walk, especially when they are young. That would make no sense.

I'm not defending the notion of not paying Leonard or Nelson, but I think the bolded highlights how people are missing his point.  Its not about being the best LB or the best G, the question really is "how good does your WILL or your LG have to be to win a SB"?.  If you have more talent there than what is needed given the role/impact of the position, that's an overpay.

 

To make the point, how much do you pay the best punter that ever played the game?  He deserves Top 1 money, but do you need the best punter who ever played the game to win a SB?  No, given the role, he just needs to be good.

 

Personally, I'd prefer to have the best QB in the league, the best LT, the best EDGE.  Having the best WILL and LG just doesn't advance the team as far, IMO.

 

That's his point, and its a valid point of discussion, IMO.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The one thing to  note is that his best year was his 1st. He has racked up a lot of tackles. Do people feel that his numerous tackles has or will cause him to wear down sooner rather than later? Just asking. Is it similar to a running back getting a lot of carries?

 

Would you define yourself as a one-issue poster at this point?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DougDew said:

I'm not defending the notion of not paying Leonard or Nelson, but I think the bolded highlights how people are missing his point.  Its not about being the best LB or the best G, the question really is "how good does your WILL or your LG have to be to win a SB"?.  If you have more talent there than what is needed given the role/impact of the position, that's an overpay.

 

To make the point, how much do you pay the best punter that ever played the game?  He deserves Top 1 money, but do you need the best punter who ever played the game to win a SB?  No, given the role, he just needs to be good.

 

Personally, I'd prefer to have the best QB in the league, the best LT, the best EDGE.  Having the best WILL and LG just doesn't advance the team as far, IMO.

 

That's his point, and its a valid point of discussion, IMO.

 

You can have those things but if you don't have a good foundation on the Dline and the Oline, they will crumble, even the best of them. Just look at Luck. The supposed draft pick of a generation and future Hall of Famer. How did he do with no Oline? His career ended ten years early, that is what happened. You can have all three that you mention and without a good Oline, they won't win anything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

You can have those things but if you don't have a good foundation on the Dline and the Oline, they will crumble, even the best of them. Just look at Luck. The supposed draft pick of a generation and future Hall of Famer. How did he do with no Oline? His career ended ten years early, that is what happened. You can have all three that you mention and without a good Oline, they won't win anything. 

He is not saying don't build a good Oline. U can build an Oline with say an elite LT and a good RT with some guards and centers sprinkled in. He is just saying a guard and WIL as your highest paid players may not be the way to go. I said this will b Ballards biggest year. He made a play for Wentz, which I agree with. Now is he going to make Leonard the highest paid linebacker and Nelson maybe the highest paid Oline?  I believe those 3 decisions will define the Colts success or lack of for the future.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He is not saying don't build a good Oline. U can build an Oline with say an elite LT and a good RT with some guards and centers sprinkled in. He is just saying a guard and WIL as your highest paid players may not be the way to go. I said this will b Ballards biggest year. He made a play for Wentz, which I agree with. Now is he going to make Leonard the highest paid linebacker and Nelson maybe the highest paid Oline?  I believe those 3 decisions will define the Colts success or lack of for the future.

You don't say?   I was unaware of your thoughts on the matter

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DougDew said:

I'm not defending the notion of not paying Leonard or Nelson, but I think the bolded highlights how people are missing his point.  Its not about being the best LB or the best G, the question really is "how good does your WILL or your LG have to be to win a SB"?.  If you have more talent there than what is needed given the role/impact of the position, that's an overpay.

 

To make the point, how much do you pay the best punter that ever played the game?  He deserves Top 1 money, but do you need the best punter who ever played the game to win a SB?  No, given the role, he just needs to be good.

 

Personally, I'd prefer to have the best QB in the league, the best LT, the best EDGE.  Having the best WILL and LG just doesn't advance the team as far, IMO.

 

That's his point, and its a valid point of discussion, IMO.

 

But his point misses the point.   Because the vast majority of teams never get a chance to draft the Best QB, the Best LT,  or the Best Edge.  
 

Chris Ballard didn’t pick Nelson over the best any of those players.   He had the opportunity to draft the Best LG,  maybe a future HofF player.   You take players like that every time and sleep well for the length of that players career.   
 

Plus, Nelson along with all the others players that the Nelson trade turned into makes this an even easier decision.   This issue has been so badly overthought it’s lost any meaning if it ever really had any? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2021 at 12:30 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There is no talking to that poster, he simply just doesn't think Leonard or Nelson should be paid big money. He has been rambling on about this for 3 months now. I tried along with many others to convince him otherwise but to no avail. Leonard is top 5 at his LB position, so he will be paid that way. I would like to see anyone name 6 better LB's than Leonard, good luck. Regarding Nelson he is the best OG in the league IMO. Both these players will get signed to long term deals and to big money, they deserve it. Can't let your best players just walk, especially when they are young. That would make no sense.

Is Leonard top 5 at his LB position the answer is complicated when you see all the other great LBs playing now in 3-4 base defenses doing more than Leonard has.  Players like Bud Dupree, Shaquil Barrett, Chandler Jones, Za'Darius Smith, Matt Judon, and Khalil Mack all are paid well and can compare to Leonard but each of the so called top LBs playing again are in a 3-4 base.  Outside of Dieon Jones and Fred Warner would I put Leonard among some of the great linebackers to play the game today. 

 

Is Leonard better than most of these players? 

 

Sadly the answer imho is NO and yet he will get paid but it feels like a fools bet to overpay him against his peers when he isn't even a Top-5 LB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Is Leonard top 5 at his LB position the answer is complicated when you see all the other great LBs playing now in 3-4 base defenses doing more than Leonard has.  Players like Bud Dupree, Shaquil Barrett, Chandler Jones, Za'Darius Smith, Matt Judon, and Khalil Mack all are paid well and can compare to Leonard but each of the so called top LBs playing again are in a 3-4 base.  Outside of Dieon Jones and Fred Warner would I put Leonard among some of the great linebackers to play the game today. 

 

Is Leonard better than most of these players? 

 

Sadly the answer imho is NO and yet he will get paid but it feels like a fools bet to overpay him against his peers when he isn't even a Top-5 LB.

His 3 All Pro seasons says you're wrong

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

His 3 All Pro seasons says you're wrong

There is no use to debate it, usually I like debating but convincing @OhioColt and @Moosejawcoltthat Leonard deserves to be paid big money and re-signed will do no good. They both have their mind made up. All the players OhioColt listed I could pretty much make an argument that Leonard is just as great. OhioColt said "Is Leonard better than most of these players"? I could ask the same question and say are those players better than Leonard. They are all great in reality. 

3 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Is Leonard top 5 at his LB position the answer is complicated when you see all the other great LBs playing now in 3-4 base defenses doing more than Leonard has.  Players like Bud Dupree, Shaquil Barrett, Chandler Jones, Za'Darius Smith, Matt Judon, and Khalil Mack all are paid well and can compare to Leonard but each of the so called top LBs playing again are in a 3-4 base.  Outside of Dieon Jones and Fred Warner would I put Leonard among some of the great linebackers to play the game today. 

 

Is Leonard better than most of these players? 

 

Sadly the answer imho is NO and yet he will get paid but it feels like a fools bet to overpay him against his peers when he isn't even a Top-5 LB.

Leonard is our 2nd best defensive player so he should be paid like it. Only Buckner is better and more valuable to our team.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone has opinions but I just don't understand how anyone can be critical of Leonard. He is a 2x 1st team All-Pro, 1x 2nd team All-Pro in his 3 years. He always gives 100% and his play speaks for itself. I can see being critical of a player that hasn't lived up to the hype, under performing, or injured all the time but in Leonard's case I don't see any of that. I am not buying into that he doesn't deserve huge money. I have seen nothing to lead me to believe he doesn't.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

You can have those things but if you don't have a good foundation on the Dline and the Oline, they will crumble, even the best of them. Just look at Luck. The supposed draft pick of a generation and future Hall of Famer. How did he do with no Oline? His career ended ten years early, that is what happened. You can have all three that you mention and without a good Oline, they won't win anything. 

Well, a couple of things.  Luck hurt himself by having the longest time holding the ball in the NFL.  From snap to release he was always in the top 5, one season I believe he was the QB that had the highest time.  That's not the same thing as having a slow release.  It measures the number of steps in the drop back, and the amount of time spent holding the ball looking for receivers.  It may have been scheme related, WR talent related, the need for looking for hero-ball plays after throwing 2 stupid interceptions in the first half related; but his problems were not all the fault of the oline, therefore, the degree of criticism that oline got back in the day was often done with a fairly narrow scope, IMO.

 

We acknowledge the need for a good oline.  In fact, to win the SB. a team probably cannot afford to have any stinker units on the field.  They all have to be good.  And a team will probably have to end up spending near the salary cap if they want to have the talent throughout the field good enough to win a SB.

 

The question is do you need the best LG in the game to win a SB, and does a zone 43 defense that doesn't blitz its WILL need a top 6 LB?

 

And that's not a question where I'm fishing for a "no" answer.  I'm simply pausing to consider how much extending Nelson and Leonard at huge contracts is going to advance the Colts progress over the next 4 to 5 years.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

But his point misses the point.   Because the vast majority of teams never get a chance to draft the Best QB, the Best LT,  or the Best Edge.  
 

Chris Ballard didn’t pick Nelson over the best any of those players.   He had the opportunity to draft the Best LG,  maybe a future HofF player.   You take players like that every time and sleep well for the length of that players career.   
 

Plus, Nelson along with all the others players that the Nelson trade turned into makes this an even easier decision.   This issue has been so badly overthought it’s lost any meaning if it ever really had any? 

You're looking at it from a GM evaluation point of view.  Roster management is a lot like poker.  There are circumstances beyond your control that have to be managed.  Good luck and timing is a part of that.

 

The best poker player can't overcome being dealt cards where his best hand has Jacks and the opponents consistently have Kings and Aces.

 

Keeping it objective, what team has better odds of winning the SB over a given 5 year contract period, the team that has Nelson or the team that has Trevor Lawrence or Tom Brady?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DougDew said:

You're looking at it from a GM evaluation point of view.  Roster management is a lot like poker.  There are circumstances beyond your control that have to be managed.  Good luck and timing is a part of that.

 

The best poker player can't overcome being dealt cards where his best hand has Jacks and the opponents consistently have Kings and Aces.

 

Keeping it objective, what team has better odds of winning the SB over a given 5 year contract period, the team that has Nelson or the team that has Trevor Lawrence or Tom Brady?

That's a straw man argument.    A team isn't 1 player.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

That's a straw man argument.    A team isn't 1 player.   

It wasn't even an argument.  It was showing that a GMs decisions and strategizing only goes so far.  For example, when you're playing a hand that has an elite Ace QB in it and trying to find cards that fits with that Ace, and that QB retires, its like the dealer took away your Ace mid game.

 

The Colts will resign Nelson and Leonard, and that's a reflection of them being drafted where they were and playing well.  Whether are not they were drafted where they were at the time because Ballard had this grand strategy of building the team from the inside out, or if he drafted those players because that's how the draft fell and is now playing the hand he was dealt, we don't really know. 

 

For those who want an elite QB, we never have been in position to have one so the deck is making Ballard play a different hand than what he might other wise play if the elite QB was available.

 

We'll see how it works.  I'm not overly enthused about having the highest paid-ever ILB or LG soaking up cap space, but it could be worked around.

 

And if we win the SB, its because the Colts got near elite play from a recovered Wentz and Fisher, not because we have the highest ever paid ILB and LG.  JMO.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Is Leonard top 5 at his LB position the answer is complicated when you see all the other great LBs playing now in 3-4 base defenses doing more than Leonard has.  Players like Bud Dupree, Shaquil Barrett, Chandler Jones, Za'Darius Smith, Matt Judon, and Khalil Mack all are paid well and can compare to Leonard but each of the so called top LBs playing again are in a 3-4 base.  Outside of Dieon Jones and Fred Warner would I put Leonard among some of the great linebackers to play the game today. 

 

Is Leonard better than most of these players? 

 

Sadly the answer imho is NO and yet he will get paid but it feels like a fools bet to overpay him against his peers when he isn't even a Top-5 LB.

 

Those are all edge players. They play a different position than Leonard. (I'm sure you know this.) Comparing them is pointless.

 

Leonard is certainly a top five stack/off ball linebacker. And when his contract gets done, he'll probably be the highest paid at his position, until the next top five guy gets paid.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Those are all edge players. They play a different position than Leonard. (I'm sure you know this.) Comparing them is pointless.

 

Leonard is certainly a top five stack/off ball linebacker. And when his contract gets done, he'll probably be the highest paid at his position, until the next top five guy gets paid.

 

This is the biggest truth. Everyone hand wrings at a market setting contract (for any position), until the next guy comes along blows it out the water. There isn't always a direct correlation between talent and money. Circumstances can have a huge effect. 

 

Would you say Dak Prescott is 'worth' his contract? IIRC didn't it also make him the highest paid player in history (briefly). 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • We shall see. I think if he does anything close to what Lewis did last year he will stick. Lewis wasnt incredible but he did show the tools they thought he had when they drafted him. We need that same thing from Banogou this year or its probably curtains.
    • And as announcers have said, at home we swept, Mets, Dodgers, Padres, and Cardinals. Need reds to be help this week against brewers    And tomorrow starts a series with the Mets in NY. @NFLfan are you going to go to any of them? I saw the tickets were cheap.    I am going to the Marlins Cards game on Tuesday, close to home, in the second section from home. Will be my 5th game there this season. 7th overall   And will give a recap of AZ tomorrow, since I got back   
    • Agree with most of this, but Tannehill's accuracy was never really an issue. Those Miami teams he played for were just bad lol. Some horrible OLs. They finally started building the team correctly, and even Fitzmagic looked good.   Looks like TN is going all-in a bit for the next couple years, so wouldn't be surprised to see their O ask more from Tannehill. Running the wheels off Henry will only get you so far.
    • I wasn't big on landing Wentz but having said that sometimes a change of scenery can change a QB's career. Get with the right team = great run game, good coach than many things can change. There wasn't anyone that ever mentioned Ryan Tannehill as a top 15 QB when he played for the Dolphins, he was considered average by most and many Dolphins fans thought he was bad. Look at him in Tennessee though with Henry and better coaching. He went from average at best to good in most peoples minds. His accuracy is a lot better in Tennessee and with Henry being the focal point that allows Tannehill to make less mistakes and use play action effectively.    In reality, Wentz even has more physical tools than Tannehill has.
  • Members

    • colts824

      colts824 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Coltpwr

      Coltpwr 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...