Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Leonard, Big Q, Glowinski and Smith Contracts

ThorstenDenmark

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Can we expect to see extensions to all of these players or do we let one of the walk away in free agency next year?

Big Q and Leonard will def get huge new deals, but what about the other two? 

I wouldn’t pay a linebacker moon money. Better to spend the money on the offensive line.

From my perspective, 

You have 2 Pro Bowl level players out of the 4

You pay them competitive money

Smith would be third in my book, but he isn't in the same category (At least not yet)

as the other 2.

Glow is bottom of this list 

37 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

From my perspective, 

You have 2 Pro Bowl level players out of the 4

You pay them competitive money

Smith would be third in my book, but he isn't in the same category (At least not yet)

as the other 2.

Glow is bottom of this list 

smith should of been a probowler the las two seasons . he gave up zero sacks starting 15 games , that is amazing he is a shut down tackle and elite run blocker

2 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Can we expect to see extensions to all of these players or do we let one of the walk away in free agency next year?

Big Q and Leonard will def get huge new deals, but what about the other two? 

Q, Darius and Braden will get signed to big deals.   Leonard and Smith will likely get signed in the next four months.  Right around the end of August, or first week of September.   It’s good for the locker room to see guys get big pay days right before the start of the season.  A big morale boost. 

I don’t think we can sign Nelson until the end of this season.   But I’m not 100 percent sure on that.   I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong. 

I believe we will let Glow walk and let him sign elsewhere and take a comp draft pick in ‘23.   We have Pinter and Reed to replace. 

30 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

smith should of been a probowler the las two seasons . he gave up zero sacks starting 15 games , that is amazing he is a shut down tackle and elite run blocker

He is very good

But a recognized Pro Bowl or ALL Pro player DOES pull down more salary

If Fisher sticks,  and plays at the Pro bowl level and when we sign Q

We will have a very large % of the cap on the OL

You would like it, but you cant afford to pay pro bowl contracts to most of your roster

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Q, Darius and Braden will get signed to big deals.   Leonard and Smith will likely get signed in the next four months.  Right around the end of August, or first week of September.   It’s good for the locker room to see guys get big pay days right before the start of the season.  A big morale boost. 

I don’t think we can sign Nelson until the end of this season.   But I’m not 100 percent sure on that.   I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong. 

I believe we will let Glow walk and let him sign elsewhere and take a comp draft pick in ‘23.   We have Pinter and Reed to replace. 

Spot on IMO. Glow is the odd man out. He's been solid, but they simply can't afford to pay all 5 OL spots top $. The other 3 will get paid. The interesting and difficult decisions will be Hines if continues to perform, and Fisher if he comes through later in the season. A healthy, performing Fisher will feel like a must sign for the Colts, especially since they wont have a first round pick next year and have no one to step into the LT slot. That will leave even less money to dole out.  I love Hines, and want him to remain a Colt, but if they have to let him go to FA ( and I suspect they will have to), he'll get an offer that's tough to match. You simply cannot pay everyone on a good, ascending team. 

14 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Spot on IMO. Glow is the odd man out. He's been solid, but they simply can't afford to pay all 5 OL spots top $. The other 3 will get paid. The interesting and difficult decisions will be Hines if continues to perform, and Fisher if he comes through later in the season. A healthy, performing Fisher will feel like a must sign for the Colts, especially since they wont have a first round pick next year and have no one to step into the LT slot. That will leave even less money to dole out.  I love Hines, and want him to remain a Colt, but if they have to let him go to FA ( and I suspect they will have to), he'll get an offer that's tough to match. You simply cannot pay everyone on a good, ascending team. 

Yeah....    the Hines deal is officially on my radar and has me a little nervous.   I think both Ballard and Irsay have been asked about Hines as reporters have asked about all the other possible extensions.  And both have talked about other players but neither mentioned Hines.   

I’d feel bad for the kid.   I can hear Ballard saying he loves Hines and he deserves a really good contract that they likely can’t afford to pay him.   And we’re likely talking about somewhere between 3/15 and 3/20.    One may be doable.   The other may not. 

Honestly, I think the RB from Duke we signed as a free agent will replace Hines in 2022. 

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah....    the Hines deal is officially on my radar and has me a little nervous.   I think both Ballard and Irsay have been asked about Hines as reporters have asked about all the other possible extensions.  And both have talked about other players but neither mentioned Hines.   

I’d feel bad for the kid.   I can hear Ballard saying he loves Hines and he deserves a really good contract that they likely can’t afford to pay him.   And we’re likely talking about somewhere between 3/15 and 3/20.    One may be doable.   The other may not. 

Honestly, I think the RB from Duke we signed as a free agent will replace Hines in 2022. 

Irsay said Leonard and smith will get done but when asked about Hines he said we will see what the money is. We need to keep Hines. He hasn’t even missed a practice while a colt. He is a playmaker more than just a RB. Going to assume he might get slightly less then what Ekeler got. If he is allowed to test FA no way we will be able to keep him. He will have lots of suitors. Not to mention we have pascal to sign also next year. He will have suitors as well. I think in 22 it might be the first year that we are going to lose players we love because of the cap. I hope it goes up next season.

9 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

He is very good

But a recognized Pro Bowl or ALL Pro player DOES pull down more salary

If Fisher sticks,  and plays at the Pro bowl level and when we sign Q

We will have a very large % of the cap on the OL

You would like it, but you cant afford to pay pro bowl contracts to most of your roster

Braden is going to get about 15 m. He Will get top right tackle money.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think we can sign Nelson at any time.He has already got his 3 years in.

51 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Irsay said Leonard and smith will get done but when asked about Hines he said we will see what the money is. We need to keep Hines. He hasn’t even missed a practice while a colt. He is a playmaker more than just a RB. Going to assume he might get slightly less then what Ekeler got. If he is allowed to test FA no way we will be able to keep him. He will have lots of suitors. Not to mention we have pascal to sign also next year. He will have suitors as well. I think in 22 it might be the first year that we are going to lose players we love because of the cap. I hope it goes up next season.

The salary cap IS going up next year.   I’ve seen a couple of stories that reference $203m.    That’s basically up $20m from this year, but only $5m from 2019 which I think had a cap of 198m. 

The Big Bump, with all the new TV money is now expected to come in the  2023 season.  It’ll make for some creative contracts for our top guys.  

And to be clear, I’m in favor of brining back Hines and Pascal and Allie-Cox.   I agree, they are important pieces. 

52 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I think we can sign Nelson at any time.He has already got his 3 years in.

You may be right, but that’s not my understanding.   We had to wait until early May just to officially give him his 5th year option.   So, I’m unclear as to extending beyond the 5th year option. 

I hope to hear from @w87r and/or @Superman

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You may be right, but that’s not my understanding.   We had to wait until early May just to officially give him his 5th year option.   So, I’m unclear as to extending beyond the 5th year option. 

I think extensions can happen for any player after a player completes 2 years.

One reason why Ballard is so careful with his money because he wants to make sure he has enough to sign his own stars. I almost see no way Big Q, Leonard, and Smith don't get long term deals soon. It pays to be patient and not overspend in Free Agency, that is why. We need to get Hines re-signed as well, we probably will but that is more of 60/40 chance IMO. 60% we will IMO, Big Q and Leonard are 100% IMO. Smith I would say 80% which is good.

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You really don't need to feel bad for him. He'll get paid what he deserves. Whether that's with the Colts or not is another matter. If he really wants to remain a Colt, he'll probably have to take a little less than he would elsewhere but that's his decision to make.

He's a young man in the the physical prime of his life getting paid millions of dollars to play football and can stop at any point if he chooses. There's really not much to feel bad about lol.

10 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Braden is going to get about 15 m. He Will get top right tackle money.

You may be right

But

Remember .... you are always trying to maintain balance 

Good offense

Good defense

To balance approximately, you would take the future cap $200M (2022 expected)

and split it to $100M on offense and $100M on defense 

Also remember that you have special teams that need to get paid, so lets say that the target

cap number for offense is $95 M and $95 M for defense

So.....

If Q is paid top money 18M

If Braden is paid 15M (Per your note)

If Fisher shines and is paid 17M

Kelly is paid 14.6M

Glowinski is paid 7.2M

Thats 72M (ish) out of the $95M expected cap for the offense

Figure 20M for QB 

Thats 92M out of $95M "budget"

What do you pay the depth?

What do you pay the RBs?

What do you pay the TEs?

What do you pay the WRs?

As you can see...... its tough to balance the cap

You HAVE to rotate your roster.

We will start to see some of our middle of the roster, 'good' players offered for trade as we move forward....  traded for future draft picks

The most expensive positions are 

QB, LT, DE - The more of these 3 that can be paid on the rookie wage scale the better

We will need to continue to build thru the draft as the more people contributing on a rookie contract the better you can be

Getting better has its challenges

But.... you can see why we cant just go sign the "big name" every time one comes available

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Drafted players are eligible for new contracts once they've completed their third season. So Nelson could be signed to an extension with the start of the 2021 league year. I believe the first Monday in May, after the draft, is the deadline for the 5th year option (without looking it up).

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

Drafted players are eligible for new contracts once they've completed their third season. So Nelson could be signed to an extension with the start of the 2021 league year. I believe the first Monday in May, after the draft, is the deadline for the 5th year option (without looking it up).

Apologies...    I’m a little confused...

You’ve addressed two issues, the 5th year option, which the Colts exercised on Nelson.  

And the possibility of a big extension, which I think you’re saying we also can do?   So now that we have Nelson secured for two more years, this year and next, we could TODAY sign him to an extension as well beyond 2022?    

Is that what you’re saying?   

On 5/15/2021 at 2:01 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Losing Hines would be terrible, he is so versatile and fast. I hope we get a deal with him. He could be a player we use the franchise tag on if need be? I put a % on players being re-signed and I had Big Q and Leonard at 100%. I had Smith at 80%, but had Hines at 60% - that may even be 50/50.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Losing Hines would be terrible, he is so versatile and fast. I hope we get a deal with him. He could be a player we use the franchise tag on if need be? I put a % on players being re-signed and I had Big Q and Leonard at 100%. I had Smith at 80%, but had Hines at 60% - that may even be 50/50.

I think you can bump Smith to above 80.  Maybe even above 90-95.   Unless he asks for crazy money, which I don’t see happening. 

And I could totally be wrong on Hines.   I’ve just noticed that there’s not nearly as much talk about a new deal for him, even when given the opportunity.   Maybe I’m reading too much into that?   That’s possible. 

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You’ve addressed two issues, the 5th year option, which the Colts exercised on Nelson.  

And the possibility of a big extension, which I think you’re saying we also can do?   So now that we have Nelson secured for two more years, this year and next, we could TODAY sign him to an extension as well beyond 2022?    

I don't know what Superman meant, but yes, Q and our other 2018 draftees are eligible for extensions and can be signed right now if the two sides agree to contract extensions. For example, Frank Ragnow already signed his extension with the Lions through 2026 last week:

https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2021/05/10/lions-lock-up-frank-ragnow-through-2026/

Ragnow was 1st rounder in the same class as Q, Braden and Leonard. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you can bump Smith to above 80.  Maybe even above 90-95.   Unless he asks for crazy money, which I don’t see happening. 

And I could totally be wrong on Hines.   I’ve just noticed that there’s not nearly as much talk about a new deal for him, even when given the opportunity.   Maybe I’m reading too much into that?   That’s possible. 

Nah, I have the same concerns that is why that is probably actually 50/50 with him. Yeah I think Smith is pretty much in too. I went 80% with him but a deal should get done with him IMO.

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't know what Superman meant, but yes, Q and our other 2018 draftees are eligible for extensions and can be signed right now if the two sides agree to contract extensions. For example, Frank Ragnow already signed his extension with the Lions through 2026 last week:

https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2021/05/10/lions-lock-up-frank-ragnow-through-2026/

Ragnow was 1st rounder in the same class as Q, Braden and Leonard. 

Thanks so much for this!   With that being the case, then I think we’re going to try and get all Big Three done before the season starts.  

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Renegotiations: Rookie contracts for drafted players can't be renegotiated or altered in any way until after the last regular-season game of the third contracted year. Undrafted rookies must wait until after their second season to

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yup, we can extend Nelson now if we want. 

I mentioned the 5th year option because of something you said in the previous post, but it was meant to be separate.

Hmmm...part of me wonders if one of the big 3 isn’t re-signed. I am sort of surprised that none of them have been. Then again, that’s likely more of a summer move.

Not that they shouldn’t...but from a logistical roster construction perspective...that’s likely ~$55M to (3) players.

For a GM who values flexibility with the cap, it’s going to be increasingly difficulty to find it with several top tier non-QB contracts. They could have 1/3 of a salary cap going to (4) non-QBs.

Also, something to consider is that DeFo has no gtd money after two more seasons. So a bold prediction might be that one of Q/Smith/Leonard/DeFo will not be on the 2023 roster.

Good problems to have though. Just wouldn’t surprise if a trade happened at some point. 

As for a couple others, I don’t think Glow is back...unless it’s a cheap deal (but there’s no reason for him to take that...he’s a starting RG in the NFL).

Hines will likely be back...if he’s willing to take a $4-5M AAV (which is on par with his counterparts). Interestingly, Taylor is up for an extension after year 3...when Hines would be heading into year 2 of his extension. Are the Colts going to have a healthy Taylor paid less than Hines? 

Archived