Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts News - Fisher and Teamer

Colts waived another guy that I didn't know was on the roster - Roderic Teamer, a safety who didn't play in 2020.

Also the Colts want to work out a long term deal with Fisher, according to the article.  Which makes sense to do soon, assuming they think he can play.  If he comes back and has a great year, he's going to be in high demand next season.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/

The media picked up the Fisher news yesterday when they had the film session with Ballard.  Ballard said they want to do a long term deal once Fisher proves he can come back from his injury.  Don’t look for anything soon.  Honestly I expect Leonard and Smith extensions before the season starts and Fisher at some point in the season if he comes back.  If they can’t get one done in season it wouldn’t shock me to see the Colts tag him and then do one if he recovers.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The media picked up the Fisher news yesterday when they had the film session with Ballard.  Ballard said they want to do a long term deal once Fisher proves he can come back from his injury.  Don’t look for anything soon.  Honestly I expect Leonard and Smith extensions before the season starts and Fisher at some point in the season if he comes back.  If they can’t get one done in season it wouldn’t shock me to see the Colts tag him and then do one if he recovers.  

You're probably right.  But a franchise LT is the more important position.  More than RT, and even an All Pro LB.

I'm not saying he'll sacrifice either of them in order to sign Fisher long term.  But I think that once they see that Fisher can play, they'll want to wrap him up long term.  He won't be cheap either.

I think it was on one of the podcast they pointed out where all of the LTs for the playoff teams were drafted.  Getting one that works out past the first round is pretty rare.  And we probably won't even have a first rounder next year.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

You're probably right.  But a franchise LT is the more important position.  More than RT, and even an All Pro LB.

I'm not saying he'll sacrifice either of them in order to sign Fisher long term.  But I think that once they see that Fisher can play, they'll want to wrap him up long term.  He won't be cheap either.

I think it was on one of the podcast they pointed out where all of the LTs for the playoff teams were drafted.  Getting one that works out past the first round is pretty rare.  And we probably won't even have a first rounder next year.

Age and health would be the argument for Smith and Leonard right now.  It’s not all about position.

• Thanks 1

Apparently it's a two year deal for Fisher, however the second year can be voided by the colts.

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Age and health would be the argument for Smith and Leonard right now.  It’s not all about position.

No doubt.  I'm not saying they won't sign them.  I'm just saying that getting a franchise LT is more important.

You're right, they have to take into account how many years Fisher can play at a high level.  We were so lucky with AC.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

No doubt.  I'm not saying they won't sign them.  I'm just saying that getting a franchise LT is more important.

You're right, they have to take into account how many years Fisher can play at a high level.  We were so lucky with AC.

Well like Ballard said they need to see if Fisher can come back from this injury before they extend him.  Leonard and Smith don’t have that question mark right now.  That’s why I expect their extensions done around the same time Kelly’s was last year where as Fisher will wait.  

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

That is incorrect, Andrew Whitworth started for the Rams, unless they mean were UDFA, otherwise Whitworth signed with the rams in FA

11 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

That is incorrect, Andrew Whitworth started for the Rams, unless they mean were UDFA, otherwise Whitworth signed with the rams in FA

Why is it incorrect?  Whitworth was a 2nd round pick.  He is one of the rare ones.  It's not impossible to find a franchise LT outside of the first round, it's just very rare.  Apparently Ballard didn't think any of the guys available by our 2nd round pick were worth it.

BTW, if you look at the waaaay too early draft prospects for 2022, LTs are pretty sparse.  Things will change in 11 months, I'm sure.

11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Why is it incorrect?  Whitworth was a 2nd round pick.  He is one of the rare ones.  It's not impossible to find a franchise LT outside of the first round, it's just very rare.  Apparently Ballard didn't think any of the guys available by our 2nd round pick were worth it.

BTW, if you look at the waaaay too early draft prospects for 2022, LTs are pretty sparse.  Things will change in 11 months, I'm sure.

I meant the part that all were drafted, which the way it was stated made it seem like they were saying drafted by that team, wasn't so much the draft round

3 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I meant the part that all were drafted, which the way it was stated made it seem like they were saying drafted by that team, wasn't so much the draft round

Got it.  No, the point was that every franchise LT was found in the first (or rarely, second) round.  

There's an argument to be made that we should be drafting LTs in the later rounds, not to start but to develop.  Maybe that's a pipe dream because the good ones are a different animal.

Joe Reitz said something to the effect that Offensive linemen are made,  but Left Tackles are born that way.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

Got it.  No, the point was that every franchise LT was found in the first (or rarely, second) round.  

There's an argument to be made that we should be drafting LTs in the later rounds, not to start but to develop.  Maybe that's a pipe dream because the good ones are a different animal.

Joe Reitz said something to the effect that Offensive linemen are made,  but Left Tackles are born that way.

Ah okay, I was thinking they were saying it was with that team. 

And I mean plus Fisher was number 1 overall too. Hopefully that pedigree holds true

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Colts waived another guy that I didn't know was on the roster - Roderic Teamer, a safety who didn't play in 2020.

Also the Colts want to work out a long term deal with Fisher, according to the article.  Which makes sense to do soon, assuming they think he can play.  If he comes back and has a great year, he's going to be in high demand next season.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/

Maybe the reason Teamer was waived is because we were awarded DaeSean Hamilton off waivers.  Wouldn’t that be a surprise.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Apparently it's a two year deal for Fisher, however the second year can be voided by the colts.

That's potentially a big deal. Wonder why it hasn't been more widely reported that way. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Maybe the reason Teamer was waived is because we were awarded DaeSean Hamilton off waivers.  Wouldn’t that be a surprise.

They implied it was because of drafting Davis.  That makes no sense to me.  Hamilton is definitely an upgrade.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Haven't seen this. I hope its true. Can you share the source?

13 minutes ago, Hoose said:

It's in the linked story in the first post above at https://www.profootballrumors.com/

For what it’s worth, Fisher’s contract technically has a voidable year in 2022, according to Zak Keefer of The Athletic. The extra year puts some of the obligation on next year’s books, which gives the Colts extra incentive to extend the pact.

16 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Holder mentioned it. Can't find the tweet

From what I read, the second year is voidable in that it is essentially a one-year deal which gives some flexibility in spreading his cap hit over this year and next. It is an automatically voiding second year (he is only under contract to actually play for this year, would need a contract extension to play here beyond 2021).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
3 hours ago, CR91 said:

I haven’t seen that

43 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I haven’t seen that

See the post above yours.  That poster did a really good job explaining how it’s technically a two year deal but it’s really a one year deal.  The second year is just a book keeping move.  

• Thanks 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/coltswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/14/indianapolis-colts-eric-fisher-contract-voidable-year-2022/amp/

While it was reported that Fisher would be signing a one-year deal—and that’s essentially what happened—there is a voidable year on the deal for 2022, which helps the Colts keep a bit more of salary-cap space, per Zak Keefer of The Athletic.

And the 30-year-old Fisher, who’s recovering from a torn Achilles and spoke to reporters Thursday for the first time, doesn’t sound like a player arriving in Indianapolis thinking he’ll be here for a few short months. (His contract is technically for two years but automatically voids in 2022, essentially making it a one-year deal.) If Fisher fully recovers from the injury and plays well down the stretch, he could be here for multiple seasons.

Fisher signed a one-year, $9.4 million deal with the Colts earlier this week. Depending on how much the signing bonus is for Fisher, the Colts could use this voidable year to help spread the cap hit over two years.

Still haven't seen details but I imagine if it structured like reported it would look something like this.

2021: $1m base, $4.2m signing bonus, 

2022: $4.2m signing bonus(voidable year, dead cap)

Maybe a little smaller signing bonus, but I would think if you were going to go that route you would maximize the 2021 cap savings. This does it based on $9.4m reported contract.

Saves us money this year for extensions

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, w87r said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/coltswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/14/indianapolis-colts-eric-fisher-contract-voidable-year-2022/amp/

Still haven't seen details but I imagine if it structured like reported it would look something like this.

2021: $1m base, $4.2m signing bonus, 

2022: $4.2m signing bonus(voidable year, dead cap)

Maybe a little smaller signing bonus, but I would think if you were going to go that route you would maximize the 2021 cap savings. This does it based on $9.4m reported contract.

Saves us money this year for extensions

I hate fake years, but might as well play the game all the other teams are playing. Typically I wouldn't push off that much, but given this years lower restraints, extensions, and the likelihood of increased cap next year, I get it. Personally I would hope his base or per game pay check amount is higher, or at least has some type of conditional dollars for playing time, and perhaps some incentives. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I hate fake years, but might as well play the game all the other teams are playing. Typically I wouldn't push off that much, but given this years lower restraints, extensions, and the likelihood of increased cap next year, I get it. Personally I would hope his base or per game pay check amount is higher, or at least has some type of conditional dollars for playing time, and perhaps some incentives. 

Yeah Im not a big fan of them either. I would like to see those same contractual conditions, that you listed.

I just think, that if the reports are true(2022 void year) the Colts are going to go this route to save money in 2021? They might as well max out the most cap space they can.?

Void years are rarely a good thing for teams future cap. Won't hurt us that much, and if Fisher is coming back in 2022 and beyond, it will be well worth it to not take the whole cap hit in 2021.

At the end of the day the immediate goals should be/ Im sure are, to secure Leonard and Smith and Nelson next year for their 2nd contract. I think it is taken as a given, that we bring all 3 back. Will be a good achievement and hopefully Ballard gets that done. Im sure he will

• Like 1
17 hours ago, w87r said:

Yeah Im not a big fan of them either. I would like to see those same contractual conditions, that you listed.

I just think, that if the reports are true(2022 void year) the Colts are going to go this route to save money in 2021? They might as well max out the most cap space they can.?

Void years are rarely a good thing for teams future cap. Won't hurt us that much, and if Fisher is coming back in 2022 and beyond, it will be well worth it to not take the whole cap hit in 2021.

At the end of the day the immediate goals should be/ Im sure are, to secure Leonard and Smith and Nelson next year for their 2nd contract. I think it is taken as a given, that we bring all 3 back. Will be a good achievement and hopefully Ballard gets that done. Im sure he will

Agree with all of the above. The only thing that worries me intermediate and long term is the total cash that will be spent on OL. 

We'll likely be paying top 5 pay 4 guys. Really hope it's win-now time lol. At least we'll have 2 rook contracts on the DL to ride for a bit. Just wish we had a rook LT contract to ride too. Oh well. Sure will be interesting to see all the pushes and pulls over the next few years.

On 5/14/2021 at 4:09 PM, Derakynn said:

From what I read, the second year is voidable in that it is essentially a one-year deal which gives some flexibility in spreading his cap hit over this year and next. It is an automatically voiding second year (he is only under contract to actually play for this year, would need a contract extension to play here beyond 2021).

Adam Shefter is reporting that it's a one-year deal at $9.4 million. There may be some cap management voodoo going on with it though, so the details could still be a bit murky. If he comes back close to his Pro Bowl form, it's a bargain, and if not, there isn't any long-term cap damage. I think he is certainly worth the gamble.

1 hour ago, HarryTheCat said:

Adam Shefter is reporting that it's a one-year deal at $9.4 million. There may be some cap management voodoo going on with it though, so the details could still be a bit murky. If he comes back close to his Pro Bowl form, it's a bargain, and if not, there isn't any long-term cap damage. I think he is certainly worth the gamble.

Likely 2-5M pushed. 

There are three risks. 2 this season, one next.

1) his return is delayed and we work ourselves out of the playoffs early with a tough stretch the first 5 games

2) he's just not the same regardless of when he comes back.

3) #2 plus we're in the same place next year, and either need to spend big in FA while already spending #1 on OL, or gambling on a 2nd round LT. Doubt the class next year will be better than this year.

Hopefully he's great when he comes back, we don't tank early, and he signs for a few extra years and doesn't want a king's ransom.... a boy can dream.

Jason Peters was undrafted out of Arkansas - he turned out pretty good. Exception to the policy of course.

I'm a bit bummed by the Teamer release, though the drafting of Shawn Davis more or less took his best position. He was uber productive as a rookie though for the Chargers.....