Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eddy Pineiro Signs with Colts

RNGDShobby

Good to have competion.  Saw the Jets waived Chase McLaughlin and he was claimed by the Browns.

I wanted the Colts to sign undrafted rookie and Lou Groza winner Jose Borregales from Miami.  Very accurate with a big leg.  Hit a 57 yarder vs Louisville that would have been good over 60.

Smart Smart move on part of Ballard. Blakenship has not convinced me that he is RELIABLE under pressure situations and bad weather.  Good competition and if they come out even I think Ballard is going with Eddie Pinheiros.  He can kick in icy and windy conditions whereas Blakenship cannot. 

As soon as I got the alert that we signed another kicker, I was confused. Then I remembered how nervous I got every time Blankenship kicked that he'd clank an upright. I like the guy and the specs "schtick", but if Pineiro gives us more consistency and distance, I'm all for it. I'm not excited about losing a slot on the roster to another kicker, but we could use the competition at the position.

37 minutes ago, bertjones7 said:

Good to have competion.  Saw the Jets waived Chase McLaughlin and he was claimed by the Browns.

I wanted the Colts to sign undrafted rookie and Lou Groza winner Jose Borregales from Miami.  Very accurate with a big leg.  Hit a 57 yarder vs Louisville that would have been good over 60.

Exactly! We’ve already seen Pinero struggle to stay with a team. Jose would have made more sense 

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Hmmn... interesting. 

Interested seeing details of contract and what that means to Blankenship. 

We definitely could use a upgrade at K.

Maybe.  I’m not yet sold on RB.  But I’m not done with him either.

At least he’s better than Vinny was his last couple seasons.

2 hours ago, bertjones7 said:

en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Lou_Groza

Louis Roy Groza (January 25, 1924 – November 29, 2000), nicknamed " the Toe ", was an American professional football player who was a placekicker and offensive tackle while playing his entire career for the Cleveland Browns in the All-America Football Conference (AAFC) and National Football League (NFL).

Height: 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)

High school: Martins Ferry (OH)

College: Ohio State

Position: Offensive Tackle, Center, Defensive Ta

2 hours ago, Shive said:

As soon as I got the alert that we signed another kicker, I was confused. Then I remembered how nervous I got every time Blankenship kicked that he'd clank an upright. I like the guy and the specs "schtick", but if Pineiro gives us more consistency and distance, I'm all for it. I'm not excited about losing a slot on the roster to another kicker, but we could use the competition at the position.

Have you watched bears games?   

2 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

True..... if he can get more length I think he'll be ok.

The thing is if we're going to play significant games in January and possibly in inclement weather, you'd prefer to have a kicker that can extend farther than 40 yards in October. 

2 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

So much disrespect for #4.    So many in this fanbase have no loyalty.    We aren't the Jets.   Respect your legends.   My goodness

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

So much disrespect for #4.    So many in this fanbase have no loyalty.    We aren't the Jets.   Respect your legends.   My goodness

How is it disrespecting him to point out that he was quantifiably bad his last couple years? Probably cost us some games.  It’s not even debatable.

That’s not disloyal and it doesn’t diminish what he means to the franchise.  It’s just an unfortunate truth.

I like Blankenship, and if we can keep 2 kickers he'd be great. He'd be the "inside the 40" guy, but we'd need a bomb leg for outside the 40. He was short from about 50 last year, that's brutal. Once again, hine sight is 20/20, but we should have signed Gano when Carolina waived him, now the Giants got a pro bowler with a cannon leg.

Did Blankenship actually win the kicking competition last year?  More than a few people seemed surprised he won the job.  

For nearly 15 years prior to 2019, we never had to think about the kicker.  If Vinatieri ever missed one early, he almost always made up for it late in a clutch situation.  Of course he probably played a year too long in 2019.

16 hours ago, Shive said:

Blankenship was consistent, the distance when it got to 49 and higher is what made us very very nervous. If nothing else, it upped the level of competition. I am all for this move.

17 hours ago, JediXMan said:

Ballard isn’t playing with competition on all levels. Blankenship had a bad game against Bills WC game.  Also he was 1/4 on kicks 49 yards or longer last season.

Philip Rivers must have gotten Nate Kaeding flashbacks. He missed critical kicks in the 2006 divisional round vs the Patriots, and critical kicks in the 2009 divisional round vs the Jets, thus leading to the Colts getting a home AFCCG in 2006 and a better matchup vs the Jets in 2009 in the home AFCCG, both times leading to a SB berth. Rivers and the Chargers were plagued with kicking issues till Michael Badgley had a small good run but eventually he started having a bad run too.

Just goes to show you how amazing AV's career was w.r.t longevity and ability to bounce back after bad stretches within the same year. Eventually there was no comeback to be found, thanks to father time.

17 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Hmmn... interesting. 

Interested seeing details of contract and what that means to Blankenship. 

We definitely could use a upgrade at K.

Competition

17 hours ago, JediXMan said:

Ballard isn’t playing with competition on all levels. Blankenship had a bad game against Bills WC game.  Also he was 1/4 on kicks 49 yards or longer last season.

Devastating when your opponent can knock in a 54 yarder to beat you, but your team vacillates between kicking the FG or going for it on 4th down beyond 49 yards.

27 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Blankenship was consistent,

Inside of 50 yards, yes he was. Hit 32 out of 37 field goal attempts (87%) and made 43 out of 45 of his extra point chances.

27 minutes ago, chad72 said:

the distance when it got to 49 and higher is what made us very very nervous. If nothing else, it upped the level of competition. I am all for this move.

If he improves there, he wins his job back in his sophomore season, IMO.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Philip Rivers must have gotten Nate Kaeding flashbacks. He missed critical kicks in the 2006 divisional round vs the Patriots, and critical kicks in the 2009 divisional round vs the Jets, thus leading to the Colts getting a home AFCCG in 2006 and a better matchup vs the Jets in 2009 in the home AFCCG, both times leading to a SB berth. Rivers and the Chargers were plagued with kicking issues till Michael Badgley had a small good run but eventually he started having a bad run too.

Just goes to show you how amazing AV's career was w.r.t longevity and ability to bounce back after bad stretches within the same year. Eventually there was no comeback to be found, thanks to father time.

Nate only missed 1 kick in the Divisional round loss against the Patriots, it was a what would've been a then career long 54 yarder when he was rushed on to the field to attempt it as time was expiring due to the Chargers having burned all their timeouts. Had he made that kick, it would've only tied the game, not given San Diego the lead or win. He converted all 3 of his extra point attempts in that game.

He was brutal in the 2009 Divisional round loss to the Jets, he had only missed 3 kicks all season and missed 3 in that game alone, although one of them was a  57 yard attempt that would've tied his career long. He had already missed a 36 yarder and that Bolts were up 7-0 when Norv trotted him out to attempt that long one at the end of the half, and that miss combined with the earlier one seemed to scramble his eggs. Later in the game while down by 10, he badly missed a 40 yard attempt and although the Chargers got another touchdown, they ended up losing by 3. 

He missed when he hit the upright from 48 yards out in the 2007 Divisional round victory at Indy and in the only AFCCG he played in, Kaeding accounted for all 12 of the Chargers' points by going 4 for 4 against the undefeated Patriots in the snow flurries at Foxboro.

1 hour ago, Lancer1 said:

Nate only missed 1 kick in the Divisional round loss against the Patriots, it was a what would've been a then career long 54 yarder when he was rushed on to the field to attempt it as time was expiring due to the Chargers having burned all their timeouts. Had he made that kick, it would've only tied the game, not given San Diego the lead or win. He converted all 3 of his extra point attempts in that game.

He was brutal in the 2009 Divisional round loss to the Jets, he had only missed 3 kicks all season and missed 3 in that game alone, although one of them was a  57 yard attempt that would've tied his career long. He had already missed a 36 yarder and that Bolts were up 7-0 when Norv trotted him out to attempt that long one at the end of the half, and that miss combined with the earlier one seemed to scramble his eggs. Later in the game while down by 10, he badly missed a 40 yard attempt and although the Chargers got another touchdown, they ended up losing by 3. 

He missed when he hit the upright from 48 yards out in the 2007 Divisional round victory at Indy and in the only AFCCG he played in, Kaeding accounted for all 12 of the Chargers' points by going 4 for 4 against the undefeated Patriots in the snow flurries at Foxboro.

Thanks, I knew a Chargers fan would remember it very well. Chargers were a REALLY BAD MATCHUP for the Colts those years and as a Colts fan, I was mighty glad we could take our chances vs the Patriots at least at home and not face the Chargers both times. Norv, if I remember, had a history of burning his timeouts earlier in the game and not keep much for the last 2 minutes.

Isn't that funny about the timeouts situation? The same thing happened with Billy Cundiff who was rushed on to the field to attempt it but Harbaugh had a timeout to take but chose not to and Cundiff rushed it to miss it in the 2011 AFCCG. The same thing happened with Pete Carroll who had a timeout to take in the SB in the last half minute but the Patriots had 2 left and neither coach chose to take 1 and the RW threw that fatal INT. Weird things always happened vs the Patriots to teams with Brady and Belichick together. 

Archived