Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eddy Pineiro Signs with Colts


Recommended Posts

Ballard isn’t playing with competition on all levels. Blankenship had a bad game against Bills WC game.  Also he was 1/4 on kicks 49 yards or longer last season.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to have competion.  Saw the Jets waived Chase McLaughlin and he was claimed by the Browns.

 

I wanted the Colts to sign undrafted rookie and Lou Groza winner Jose Borregales from Miami.  Very accurate with a big leg.  Hit a 57 yarder vs Louisville that would have been good over 60.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Smart Smart move on part of Ballard. Blakenship has not convinced me that he is RELIABLE under pressure situations and bad weather.  Good competition and if they come out even I think Ballard is going with Eddie Pinheiros.  He can kick in icy and windy conditions whereas Blakenship cannot. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As soon as I got the alert that we signed another kicker, I was confused. Then I remembered how nervous I got every time Blankenship kicked that he'd clank an upright. I like the guy and the specs "schtick", but if Pineiro gives us more consistency and distance, I'm all for it. I'm not excited about losing a slot on the roster to another kicker, but we could use the competition at the position.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, bertjones7 said:

Good to have competion.  Saw the Jets waived Chase McLaughlin and he was claimed by the Browns.

 

I wanted the Colts to sign undrafted rookie and Lou Groza winner Jose Borregales from Miami.  Very accurate with a big leg.  Hit a 57 yarder vs Louisville that would have been good over 60.

 

 

Exactly! We’ve already seen Pinero struggle to stay with a team. Jose would have made more sense 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Makes sense....torn Achilles?


A little higher up…groin.  Not a good injury for anyone, especially a kicker.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Hmmn... interesting. 

Interested seeing details of contract and what that means to Blankenship. 

We definitely could use a upgrade at K.

 

Maybe.  I’m not yet sold on RB.  But I’m not done with him either.

 

At least he’s better than Vinny was his last couple seasons.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bertjones7 said:

Good to have competion.  Saw the Jets waived Chase McLaughlin and he was claimed by the Browns.

 

I wanted the Colts to sign undrafted rookie and Lou Groza winner Jose Borregales from Miami.  Very accurate with a big leg.  Hit a 57 yarder vs Louisville that would have been good over 60.

 

en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Lou_Groza

Louis Roy Groza (January 25, 1924 – November 29, 2000), nicknamed " the Toe ", was an American professional football player who was a placekicker and offensive tackle while playing his entire career for the Cleveland Browns in the All-America Football Conference (AAFC) and National Football League (NFL).

Height: 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)

High school: Martins Ferry (OH)

College: Ohio State

Position: Offensive Tackle, Center, Defensive Ta

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shive said:

As soon as I got the alert that we signed another kicker, I was confused. Then I remembered how nervous I got every time Blankenship kicked that he'd clank an upright. I like the guy and the specs "schtick", but if Pineiro gives us more consistency and distance, I'm all for it. I'm not excited about losing a slot on the roster to another kicker, but we could use the competition at the position.

Have you watched bears games?   

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

Maybe.  I’m not yet sold on RB.  But I’m not done with him either.

 

At least he’s better than Vinny was his last couple seasons.

 

 

 

True..... if he can get more length I think he'll be ok.

 

The thing is if we're going to play significant games in January and possibly in inclement weather, you'd prefer to have a kicker that can extend farther than 40 yards in October. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

Maybe.  I’m not yet sold on RB.  But I’m not done with him either.

 

At least he’s better than Vinny was his last couple seasons.

 

 

So much disrespect for #4.    So many in this fanbase have no loyalty.    We aren't the Jets.   Respect your legends.   My goodness

  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MPStack said:

He going to be the Colts  new secret weapon! 
 

In The Nuts Pain GIF

 

I like how we're laughing at someone else's misery. Have my laugh upvote.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

So much disrespect for #4.    So many in this fanbase have no loyalty.    We aren't the Jets.   Respect your legends.   My goodness

How is it disrespecting him to point out that he was quantifiably bad his last couple years? Probably cost us some games.  It’s not even debatable.

 

That’s not disloyal and it doesn’t diminish what he means to the franchise.  It’s just an unfortunate truth.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely brutal miss in buffalo within the context of the game. 

Never been convinced by Blankenship, especially from 45 plus. 

Makes total sense to add competition here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Blankenship, and if we can keep 2 kickers he'd be great. He'd be the "inside the 40" guy, but we'd need a bomb leg for outside the 40. He was short from about 50 last year, that's brutal. Once again, hine sight is 20/20, but we should have signed Gano when Carolina waived him, now the Giants got a pro bowler with a cannon leg.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did Blankenship actually win the kicking competition last year?  More than a few people seemed surprised he won the job.  

 

For nearly 15 years prior to 2019, we never had to think about the kicker.  If Vinatieri ever missed one early, he almost always made up for it late in a clutch situation.  Of course he probably played a year too long in 2019.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Shive said:

As soon as I got the alert that we signed another kicker, I was confused. Then I remembered how nervous I got every time Blankenship kicked that he'd clank an upright. I like the guy and the specs "schtick", but if Pineiro gives us more consistency and distance, I'm all for it. I'm not excited about losing a slot on the roster to another kicker, but we could use the competition at the position.

 

Blankenship was consistent, the distance when it got to 49 and higher is what made us very very nervous. If nothing else, it upped the level of competition. I am all for this move.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, JediXMan said:

Ballard isn’t playing with competition on all levels. Blankenship had a bad game against Bills WC game.  Also he was 1/4 on kicks 49 yards or longer last season.

 

Philip Rivers must have gotten Nate Kaeding flashbacks. He missed critical kicks in the 2006 divisional round vs the Patriots, and critical kicks in the 2009 divisional round vs the Jets, thus leading to the Colts getting a home AFCCG in 2006 and a better matchup vs the Jets in 2009 in the home AFCCG, both times leading to a SB berth. Rivers and the Chargers were plagued with kicking issues till Michael Badgley had a small good run but eventually he started having a bad run too.

 

Just goes to show you how amazing AV's career was w.r.t longevity and ability to bounce back after bad stretches within the same year. Eventually there was no comeback to be found, thanks to father time.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Hmmn... interesting. 

Interested seeing details of contract and what that means to Blankenship. 

We definitely could use a upgrade at K.

 

Competition

 

17 hours ago, JediXMan said:

Ballard isn’t playing with competition on all levels. Blankenship had a bad game against Bills WC game.  Also he was 1/4 on kicks 49 yards or longer last season.

 

Devastating when your opponent can knock in a 54 yarder to beat you, but your team vacillates between kicking the FG or going for it on 4th down beyond 49 yards.

 

27 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Blankenship was consistent,

 

Inside of 50 yards, yes he was. Hit 32 out of 37 field goal attempts (87%) and made 43 out of 45 of his extra point chances.

 

27 minutes ago, chad72 said:

the distance when it got to 49 and higher is what made us very very nervous. If nothing else, it upped the level of competition. I am all for this move.

 

If he improves there, he wins his job back in his sophomore season, IMO.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chad72 said:

 

Philip Rivers must have gotten Nate Kaeding flashbacks. He missed critical kicks in the 2006 divisional round vs the Patriots, and critical kicks in the 2009 divisional round vs the Jets, thus leading to the Colts getting a home AFCCG in 2006 and a better matchup vs the Jets in 2009 in the home AFCCG, both times leading to a SB berth. Rivers and the Chargers were plagued with kicking issues till Michael Badgley had a small good run but eventually he started having a bad run too.

 

Just goes to show you how amazing AV's career was w.r.t longevity and ability to bounce back after bad stretches within the same year. Eventually there was no comeback to be found, thanks to father time.

Nate only missed 1 kick in the Divisional round loss against the Patriots, it was a what would've been a then career long 54 yarder when he was rushed on to the field to attempt it as time was expiring due to the Chargers having burned all their timeouts. Had he made that kick, it would've only tied the game, not given San Diego the lead or win. He converted all 3 of his extra point attempts in that game.

 

He was brutal in the 2009 Divisional round loss to the Jets, he had only missed 3 kicks all season and missed 3 in that game alone, although one of them was a  57 yard attempt that would've tied his career long. He had already missed a 36 yarder and that Bolts were up 7-0 when Norv trotted him out to attempt that long one at the end of the half, and that miss combined with the earlier one seemed to scramble his eggs. Later in the game while down by 10, he badly missed a 40 yard attempt and although the Chargers got another touchdown, they ended up losing by 3. 

 

He missed when he hit the upright from 48 yards out in the 2007 Divisional round victory at Indy and in the only AFCCG he played in, Kaeding accounted for all 12 of the Chargers' points by going 4 for 4 against the undefeated Patriots in the snow flurries at Foxboro.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Colts reporters seem to believe this move is just to push hot rod and don’t seem to think he’s in real danger of losing his job but camp and pre-season can change things.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lancer1 said:

Nate only missed 1 kick in the Divisional round loss against the Patriots, it was a what would've been a then career long 54 yarder when he was rushed on to the field to attempt it as time was expiring due to the Chargers having burned all their timeouts. Had he made that kick, it would've only tied the game, not given San Diego the lead or win. He converted all 3 of his extra point attempts in that game.

 

He was brutal in the 2009 Divisional round loss to the Jets, he had only missed 3 kicks all season and missed 3 in that game alone, although one of them was a  57 yard attempt that would've tied his career long. He had already missed a 36 yarder and that Bolts were up 7-0 when Norv trotted him out to attempt that long one at the end of the half, and that miss combined with the earlier one seemed to scramble his eggs. Later in the game while down by 10, he badly missed a 40 yard attempt and although the Chargers got another touchdown, they ended up losing by 3. 

 

He missed when he hit the upright from 48 yards out in the 2007 Divisional round victory at Indy and in the only AFCCG he played in, Kaeding accounted for all 12 of the Chargers' points by going 4 for 4 against the undefeated Patriots in the snow flurries at Foxboro.

 

Thanks, I knew a Chargers fan would remember it very well. Chargers were a REALLY BAD MATCHUP for the Colts those years and as a Colts fan, I was mighty glad we could take our chances vs the Patriots at least at home and not face the Chargers both times. Norv, if I remember, had a history of burning his timeouts earlier in the game and not keep much for the last 2 minutes.

 

Isn't that funny about the timeouts situation? The same thing happened with Billy Cundiff who was rushed on to the field to attempt it but Harbaugh had a timeout to take but chose not to and Cundiff rushed it to miss it in the 2011 AFCCG. The same thing happened with Pete Carroll who had a timeout to take in the SB in the last half minute but the Patriots had 2 left and neither coach chose to take 1 and the RW threw that fatal INT. Weird things always happened vs the Patriots to teams with Brady and Belichick together. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • This is obvious to many.  Since he could not fire Pagano, I'm not sure why he did not bring in different OCs.  Of course, I'm not sure if that quick passing game was in vogue at the time he was here, and I don't know what OC candidates would have implemented it.  Seemed like the candidates were just a bunch of old school retreads at the time.   The west coast offense was known for exposing its QBs to injury, so that shorter quicker passing offense was not the answer.   Can only hire what the market produces.
    • Knowing what I now know, I wish we would’ve traded whatever it took to draft Justin Herbert, or I wish we would’ve traded Luck to draft Mahomes and get a lot more picks. The truth is that you really don’t know. Every player is a gamble, and we just have to hope that Ballard keeps hitting more than he misses.
    • If the NFL or the Colts want to change the rules to mandate vaccines, that’s one thing, but they haven’t, so your point doesn’t hold water.
    • I guess the post season analysis would decide how much of the blame would belong to Wentz.   But the thing is, the way Wentz’s contract is set up, he’s going to get at least one more year.   It’s a 2 year trial, not one. 
    • Generally speaking, I do not want to build a team that needs to have a hero type of QB.  If we had Fields, we'd be spending capital on a QB that we do not need, and would prefer to spend the capital elsewhere.  IMO, QB-centric capital and talent contributed to the Colts achieving less during the PM and Luck years than what we hoped.   If Wentz can be Rivers with a few more FD conversions with his legs and a few more long TDs to TY, he might be the perfect Qb for our system and cap structure.
  • Members

    • Four2itus

      Four2itus 5,369

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • compuls1v3

      compuls1v3 591

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Lucky Colts Fan

      Lucky Colts Fan 5,687

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Wentzszn

      Wentzszn 10,931

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NewColtsFan

      NewColtsFan 10,018

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • krunk

      krunk 4,415

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • chad hugo

      chad hugo 335

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DougDew

      DougDew 2,838

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • TdungyW/12

      TdungyW/12 132

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Flash7

      Flash7 1,148

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...