Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard’s film session with media

Just now, cdgacoltsfan said:

Not signing a veteran backup qb before game one is a mistake imo.

From what I understand they feel comfy finding a vet if Eason or sam don’t look good in preseason. Holder also reported that if a vet Thry really like is cut they won’t rule it out. To tell you the truth I would rather have Eason as a backup then some journeyman vet. 

33 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I'm actually in the camp that is rooting for Eason to be the backup. Cheaper &  more potential than veteran backups. You know what you are getting in veteran backups, but you also know they aren't going to give you anything more than below-average starter-level play. Eason could(or could not) give you more than that. And that is exciting to me. 

4 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I'm actually in the camp that is rooting for Eason to be the backup. Cheaper &  more potential than veteran backups. You know what you are getting in veteran backups, but you also know they aren't going to give you anything more than below-average starter-level play. Eason could(or could not) give you more than that. And that is exciting to me. 

This is why I would rather have a young QB we drafted as the backup. A vet QB isn’t going to give you much upside. But if Eason has to play there is a ton of upside there.

7 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

A lot of time. A lot of things can happen.

Full disclosure, I'm not a huge fan of spending much on back up QBs unless you're a perennial SB fav, or have a really iffy starting QB. If QB1 goes down, your expectation should be "you'll be .500" over a few games. If you count on a backup for longer than that, it doesn't matter. If your backup needs to play in the playoff, it doesn't matter.

Colts are all in on Wentz. They've used 2 middle round picks on back ups. Purely my opinion, but they need to get value of either JE or SE. If not, the draft capital was a waste. 

I'm perfectly fine though if late in camp they decide to pick up a vet like Hoyer on the cheap.

6 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

This is why I would rather have a young QB we drafted as the backup. A vet QB isn’t going to give you much upside. But if Eason has to play there is a ton of upside there.

JE has traits. SE is very limited. If they think either can go .500 over the course of 1-4 games, I'm good. If not, get Hoyer or another on the cheap that can manage well, not screw up, and go .500 with a solid team around them. 

49 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Blackmon has great traits.

Pros - absolutely all pro with what's in front of him. 

Cons - started his career at CB and was awful. moved to FS and still struggling with the backend coverage.

I think 75% of his issue is mental. It's simply choices. He chooses instinctually the big play over solid and conservative choice. If he can be more disciplined, he could be great. If he can't, move him to SS where he can be more instinctual and great. I think he's a natural SS fit, but would love to see him make it at FS. We need, and rely on, FS more than SS in our scheme.

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Blackmon has great traits.

Pros - absolutely all pro with what's in front of him. 

Cons - started his career at CB and was awful. moved to FS and still struggling with the backend coverage.

I think 75% of his issue is mental. It's simply choices. He chooses instinctually the big play over solid and conservative choice. If he can be more disciplined, he could be great. If he can't, move him to SS where he can be more instinctual and great. I think he's a natural SS fit, but would love to see him make it at FS. We need, and rely on, FS more than SS in our scheme.

You are talking about a rookie who just came off of an injury that kept him away from any training camp stuff. Also had a weird and extremely limited off-season at that. This is a guy that showed you the same as Hooker in a short sample and has plenty to grow upon. I would say no one here should be shocked at all that he had some struggles as a rookie. 

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

You are talking about a rookie who just came off of an injury that kept him away from any training camp stuff. Also had a weird and extremely limited off-season at that. This is a guy that showed you the same as Hooker in a short sample and has plenty to grow upon. I would say no one here should be shocked at all that he had some struggles as a rookie. 

I agree with this. East is making some good points about Blackmon's need to improve his deep coverage. But his rookie season was so strange, and he had so little time to prepare at a position he had just started to play in college, that you have to give him some slack as he matures in the job. I think he'll be a pleasant surprise this season to those who are worried about him. 

17 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

A lot of people seem to disagree with you, but depending upon how it plays out, you might be right.  If Wentz is playing well, the team is winning and he misses 3-4 games, you would probably rather have a vet.   

If Wentz falls on his face, however, you might as well see what you have in Eason before drafting a QB.

30 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Brandon Graham has somewhat underwhelmed in Philly and only has 60 career sacks over 11 years. That's only an average of 5 1/2 sacks per season. 

I'm hoping we get more production out of Paye personally. 

To be honest with you, if we get that many sacks out of Paye (60) with twice as many pressures (120) over 10 years with double digit forced fumbles and tackles for losses every year, I would be happy with that kind of production knowing what Buckner and others will bring on the interior as well and that the sack and pressure numbers will be distributed amongst other pass rushers too. You don't have 3 down pass rushers as much nowadays and the numbers probably will reflect that as time goes on, IMO. 

That Philly D-line is loaded, so a lot of DL have to eat too. :) Plus, Philly has good edge setting DL that their run D has been top notch for several years. So, it is a sum of many things for DL play.

38 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Brandon Graham has somewhat underwhelmed in Philly and only has 60 career sacks over 11 years. That's only an average of 5 1/2 sacks per season. 

Graham's been fantastic for a decade in terms of consistently pressuring the QB and being a complete, 3 down end. Nothing wrong with that. It's not all about sacks. 

52 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Let's look at this.
  Ballard had Paye very high in this draft. Is very high on his potential.
 Compares his skill set to Brandon Graham. Graham is a really solid player.
  He stops the run and pressures the QB, something that our D requires.
  He ain't no doormat like Freeney was against the run. Thank goodness.
    MANY top 10 in the draft DE's never do much in the NFL. It is always a gamble. 
   Gee, i hope Paye becomes so good that negative nanny's find someone else to be a downer about, personally.

2 hours ago, Les Poulains said:

Graham's been fantastic for a decade in terms of consistently pressuring the QB and being a complete, 3 down end. Nothing wrong with that. It's not all about sacks. 

+1.

You hope to draft a guy like Brandon Graham, especially when you're picking in the 20s. 

13 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I'm talking about a guy who had the same exact struggles in college/Utah he had in year one.

His performance was very different than Hooker's. Hooker was considered a top notch C1 guy, but we tried to turn him into a C2 guy. Blackmon comes from a heavy man D where he was great at things in front of him, struggled on the back end and in general coverage (that's why Utah moved him from CB to FS). 

I was not shocked at all by what we saw. In fact, pretty sure I predicted it when we drafted him on this board.

On 5/13/2021 at 3:05 PM, Wentzszn said:

Some really good stuff here from Kevin Bowen.

I’d strongly recommend reading the Kevin Bowen linked article.   It’s got lots of really good and interesting Ballard comments about his players.   

Enjoy!     :thmup:

Archived