Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is there anything Irsay and the Colts could do about this

JediXMan

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, basically a nit. A nit that should be easy to look at and fix, but not something I'll ever point to. 

I disagree. It can be balanced. I would agree if this was 20 years ago. Shared arenas is a small thing IMO. Other events could actually be managed easier if there was a systemic logic and expectation. TV obligations to the networks would be stable. 

Off topic, but I've flown a decent amount to away games, and also to concerts at arenas or other events at NFL stadiums. If you're going to allow flex games (getting more and more the norm after week 4), you're not really worried about all that.

Not looking for a deep dive. I thought you were out in AZ and might have a surface opinion on adding Green, Watt,

Collins, Moore, Butler, etc. 

I point to it because it keeps happening. And now Sharp's breakdown makes it clear that it's not just in my mind. The Colts are near the bottom in multiple categories. (But again, it's not a market/popularity thing. In fact, some of the teams that have been really bad for a long time are near the top, suggesting it's kind of the opposite.)

To structured scheduling, I think you could get a week of all division matchups. I believe they've done it at times in the past, usually toward the end of the season (especially after 2009). But I do think you undersell the difficulty of shared venues with other events. The teams/admins that own those venues want to host as many events as possible, outside of the 8-12 football games they have every year. That's another 40 weekends they can have a convention, concert, whatever.

Not sure what you mean about flex scheduling. They're not flexing games between days, just times. (Right? Did that change and I missed it?) And there are teams that have solo stadiums, but shared parking (like the Ravens/Orioles, and that caused an issue with the 2013 opener), or other weird little exceptions that the schedule makers have to account for. Late December games in Buffalo, early September games in Florida, etc., and how often visiting teams are subjecting to those potential extremes, should be factored in. There's a lot.

But they could do a Rivalry Week every year. I think one week could be done. Ravens/Steelers, Packers/Bears, Giants/Cowboys, Pats/Jets, etc. I don't really think the Colts have a division rivalry, but I guess it would be the Texans? 

As for AZ, I'm actually in SoCal. I just didn't have the bandwidth to type a response last night. They added some good players, whether they can still perform at a high level is questionable. I think Watt is still good. Green, depends on Kyler Murray, which is kind of the only thing that matters with AZ right now, whether he can step up.

7 hours ago, Superman said:

I point to it because it keeps happening. And now Sharp's breakdown makes it clear that it's not just in my mind. The Colts are near the bottom in multiple categories. (But again, it's not a market/popularity thing. In fact, some of the teams that have been really bad for a long time are near the top, suggesting it's kind of the opposite.)

Good info

To structured scheduling, I think you could get a week of all division matchups. I believe they've done it at times in the past, usually toward the end of the season (especially after 2009). But I do think you undersell the difficulty of shared venues with other events. The teams/admins that own those venues want to host as many events as possible, outside of the 8-12 football games they have every year. That's another 40 weekends they can have a convention, concert, whatever.

My point was, if there was a known structure, for instance intra Division Weeks on 6 specific weeks for the AFC, 6 specific weeks for the NFC (or they could be the same 6 weeks for both the AFC and NFC), arena owners could schedule the events easier. Now they have to wait till May.... And shared arenas (multi teams like LA) have games every week anyway so the impact would be almost nil, right? And shared resource with other sports would likely be easier if everyone knew in advance that the NFL was going to have known structure.

Not sure what you mean about flex scheduling. They're not flexing games between days, just times. (Right? Did that change and I missed it?) And there are teams that have solo stadiums, but shared parking (like the Ravens/Orioles, and that caused an issue with the 2013 opener), or other weird little exceptions that the schedule makers have to account for. Late December games in Buffalo, early September games in Florida, etc., and how often visiting teams are subjecting to those potential extremes, should be factored in. There's a lot.

I'm talking about same day flex. I've had concert tix before that were moved due to NFL schedule changes. 

But they could do a Rivalry Week every year. I think one week could be done. Ravens/Steelers, Packers/Bears, Giants/Cowboys, Pats/Jets, etc. I don't really think the Colts have a division rivalry, but I guess it would be the Texans? 

As for AZ, I'm actually in SoCal. I just didn't have the bandwidth to type a response last night. They added some good players, whether they can still perform at a high level is questionable. I think Watt is still good. Green, depends on Kyler Murray, which is kind of the only thing that matters with AZ right now, whether he can step up.

Ah, sorry, thought you were in AZ at some point. I'm interesting in the Cardinals, and think they could be sneaky, or not so sneaky good this year.

On 5/13/2021 at 2:48 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

To Undo this injustice, especially to colts/dolphins, the nfl should get rid of all bye weeks entirely.  Tough it out and play every week like they did in old days. :D

Now about Prime Time games, I think all teams should play their Prime Time games at home to make it fair. 

That's up to the schedule makers to figure a way to do that.  :scratch:

DUH

On 5/13/2021 at 8:16 PM, jvan1973 said:

Yeah,   that helps the players and coaches. 

Do you understand the problem?   It's not fans being able to watch the games.   

Q:What potent data, knowledge and experience can you lend the Colts organization to better their chances?

A: None

If one cannot lend a hand one should step aside and be quiet.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Q:What potent data, knowledge and experience can you lend the Colts organization to better their chances?

A: None

If one cannot lend a hand one should step aside and be quiet.

Great post,   as always 

On 5/16/2021 at 8:04 PM, jvan1973 said:

No,   it's facing another team coming off a bye the same week the Colts come off of their bye.

Ah. I noticed the stats for all our away prime time games too. 

We really do get shafted. 

Archived