Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is there anything Irsay and the Colts could do about this

JediXMan

The perception of what the Colts are in the national media/NFL is different than what us fans think. I think we're closer to the truth than the national media (there's teams they force us to follow who aren't as entertaining), but the fall off post Peyton isn't hard to notice. The Colts brand isn't interesting to the country at large. And the late bye's aren't awesome, but I'd rather go last, than first in a vacuum. 

Oh well. I like Sunday's @1 tbh. 

1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

Is there anything the Colts and Irsay can do to  about this. It’s getting ridiculous at this point.

Sorry...    but I can’t even tell what the issue here is?    I’ve never read anything about this before so I don’t know what a “negated bye week” actually is. 

What I did notice was the three teams who have had this happen to them 4 times are major teams or major markets or both...  Seattle, the NY Jets and New England.   And Houston is the 4th largest city in the country. 
So I don’t detect a bias.   

if someone could kindly explain a negated bye week, that would be great.  Is it, we have to go on the road the week after the bye week?   Is that it?

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

if someone could kindly explain a negated bye week, that would be great.  Is it, we have to go on the road the week after the bye week?   Is that it?

I was just about to type the exact same thing. What is a negated bye week? I didn't see it mentioned in the Twitter thread.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Only the Jets and Atlanta re the big market teams on that bye weeks negated list. Maybe Houston too.  I think that plays into it. JMO.

And you could scratch all three of those teams because they’re in the bottom third of fanbase size if I’m not mistaken. In fact, Houston’s fan base is pitiful compared to their city’s size, likely due to them being the newest team and never being very good

Apparently it means that after your bye, you’re playing a team that also came off a bye.  Meaning you don’t have an advantage like some other teams do.

I really don’t think players and coaches care about the other team.  They just happy for their bye.  

This is absolutely a thing, and I'm glad to see someone has broken it down. If you come off a bye to play another team that's coming off a bye, it negates any advantage you might get from your bye week. The other team is just as rested, etc. And the other factors broken down in Sharp's chart -- more/less rest than opponent, short week road games, etc -- the Colts are average or worse in all these areas. 

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I don't think the NFL has an agenda against the Colts, I don't complain about every perceived slight or disadvantage... but the schedule makers have a blind spot to some of these things, or just don't care, and it sucks. 

I will add, though, that it's not a market/popularity thing. The Pats, Eagles, Seahawks and Giants have a lower overall rank than the Colts. But at least they get home primetime games...

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Apparently it means that after your bye, you’re playing a team that also came off a bye.  Meaning you don’t have an advantage like some other teams do.

I really don’t think players and coaches care about the other team.  They just happy for their bye.  

Yep.  Found this article:

Negated bye weeks

Teams should receive two benefits from a bye week. The first is their own ability to receive rest, rehab and prep. The second is their ability to have an edge in those benefits as compared to the opponent they next face. When Team A returns from a bye to play Team B, but Team B was also on a bye the prior week (or played Thursday the week before), it negates Team A’s edge in rest, rehab and prep.  

Over the last decade, while the average team sees 1.8 negated byes out of 10, there are two teams that have seen 5 bye weeks negated. Meanwhile, 25% of the league hasn’t had a single bye week negated. We can’t have some teams with 50% of their bye weeks negated while other teams are playing without incurring it once.

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/article/offseason-research/teams-most-impacted-scheduling-inequalities

Quick view is that the negated week has not been good to us.

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

This is absolutely a thing, and I'm glad to see someone has broken it down. If you come off a bye to play another team that's coming off a bye, it negates any advantage you might get from your bye week. The other team is just as rested, etc. And the other factors broken down in Sharp's chart -- more/less rest than opponent, short week road games, etc -- the Colts are average or worse in all these areas. 

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I don't think the NFL has an agenda against the Colts, I don't complain about every perceived slight or disadvantage... but the schedule makers have a blind spot to some of these things, or just don't care, and it sucks. 

I will add, though, that it's not a market/popularity thing. The Pats, Eagles, Seahawks and Giants have a lower overall rank than the Colts. But at least they get home primetime games...

I meant to post this sweet about prime time games but I think your point would be very similar.

To Undo this injustice, especially to colts/dolphins, the nfl should get rid of all bye weeks entirely.  Tough it out and play every week like they did in old days. :D

Now about Prime Time games, I think all teams should play their Prime Time games at home to make it fair. 

That's up to the schedule makers to figure a way to do that.  :scratch:

23 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

To Undo this injustice, especially to colts/dolphins, the nfl should get rid of all bye weeks entirely.  Tough it out and play every week like they did in old days. :D

Now about Prime Time games, I think all teams should play their Prime Time games at home to make it fair. 

Hmm. That would be impossible. It's equally both teams' prime time game. So, there is no was that all teams can play their Prime Time games at home. 

There 100% needs to be a better algorithm tho. 

1 hour ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Quick view is that the negated week has not been good to us.

I took a deeper look at how we've done over the past 10 seasons. There have been 5 negated BYEs with a sixth coming this season. Seems to be a mixed bag. Overall we went 7-3 in the week after our BYE. Two of those 3 losses were after a negated BYE.

Year  Week   Situation                                               Outcome

2011  12       Panthers played on Sun in week 11     L27-19

2012    5       Packers played on Sun in week 4         W30-27

2013    9       Houston also had bye in week 8       W27-24

2014  11       NE also had a bye in week 10            L42-20

2015  11       Falcons also had a bye in week 10    W24-21

2016  11       Titans played on Sun in week 10          W24-17

2017  12       Titans played Thursday in week 11   L20-16

2018  10       Jaguars also had a bye in week 9      W29-26

2019    7       Texans played on Sun in week 6           W30-23

2020    8       Lions played on Sun in week 7             W41-21

2021  15       NE also has a bye in week 14             TBD

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Short week road games is a thing.   A big thing. 

But my opponent also had their bye week the same week we did so they’re just as rested as we are is also a thing?   Sorry, as things go, I think this is one of the smallest things I’ve ever heard of.  

I’ll give you one.  Gladly.   But the other?   Less than meh.   Closer to yawn.    Sorry. 

Anyone see the one hour long ESPN documentary last night on the making of the full NFL schedule?   I only saw 45 minutes and it was great.  The amount of obstacles, and the factors that have to be accounted for are incredible.   More than a billion.  Yes, billion with a B.   It used to be done by people. Now done by computer.   And it gets fine tuned over and over and over again. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

But my opponent also had their bye week the same week we did so they’re just as rested as we are is also a thing?   Sorry, as things go, I think this is one of the smallest things I’ve ever heard of.  

I’ll give you one.  Gladly.   But the other?   Less than meh.   Closer to yawn.    Sorry. 

Anyone see the one hour long ESPN documentary last night on the making of the full NFL schedule?   I only saw 45 minutes and it was great.  The amount of obstacles, and the factors that have to be accounted for are incredible.   More than a billion.  Yes, billion with a B.   It used to be done by people. Now done by computer.   And it gets fine tuned over and over and over again. 

I've always wanted to see more behind the scenes of the schedule making process. Peter King used to do a column every year on it. I'll try to find that ESPN piece.

As for negated byes... It's fine you think it's small. I didn't say it's shifting the competitive balance of the league. But it's still a thing. In ten years, eight teams have not had a single negated bye. The Colts have had five. 

I don't know if there's a large enough sample size to establish whether there's a real disadvantage related to a negated bye. But it's not hard to see that it's not ideal.

I'm not surprised mid markets teams never get the interest of the league. They do all they can to cater to large market teams and this is a detriment to teams like ours. It like Irsay and Goddell have some kind of ill relationship and its so obvious when they do not allow us to have home MNF or SNF games. Everyone plays on Thursday and playing on the road is a travel issue so this is a travesty. . Welcome to money driven football 

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s all about superstars.  If you have a superstar the league is going to put you on in prime time in a favorable setting.  Since Peyton left and Andrew got hurt the Colts have lacked what the league would consider a major superstar.

What I refer to as the NBA-a-zation of the NFL. Or at least the NFL's marketing strategy.

I've always thought the NFL could be more structured in their schedule. 

I'd love to see "division" weeks where all teams play intra division games. 

Could do the same with cross conference and inter-division games. 

The whole negated bye week thing doesn't really bother me. It's not a true disadvantage, and more a lack of advantage. Regardless, it's still should be applied equally, which it isn't.  I'm more bothered by travel around short weeks, especially if it's to W Coast destinations (or VV).

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

The whole negated bye week thing doesn't really bother me. It's not a true disadvantage, and more a lack of advantage. Regardless, it's still should be applied equally, which it isn't.  I'm more bothered by travel around short weeks, especially if it's to W Coast destinations (or VV).

That's covered in Sharp's chart, also. The Colts are right in the middle.

Also, a lack of an advantage is a disadvantage, when other teams enjoy that advantage. There are 8 teams that have had zero negated byes in ten years, and the Colts have had five. The extent to which that disadvantage matters is undetermined, I think. But it does exist.

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but factually speaking, the nfl schedule has been a political joke for decades. It is designed to give certain "legendary", "iconic" and "popular" teams as much hype and advantage possible. You can't logically or reasonably explain why the Colts have so few home primetime games. Who of the small handful of owners that run the league hate Jim Irsay? I remember one year the Colts played 3 games against teams coming off their bye. There is nothing fair about the nfl in any aspect(and that includes officiating) you just have to accept it.

That's covered in Sharp's chart, also. The Colts are right in the middle.

I saw, that's why I'm not really down on the whole thing.

Also, a lack of an advantage is a disadvantage, when other teams enjoy that advantage. There are 8 teams that have had zero negated byes in ten years, and the Colts have had five. The extent to which that disadvantage matters is undetermined, I think. But it does exist.

I agree on the bolded to an extent, but I key on the lack of advantage, more than than dis-advantage. Over 10 years, I just see the yearly "disadvantage" as pretty low bearing. Don't get me wrong, I think the NFL should do better, but I'm far more concerned with other elements. I'd prefer more structured scheduling. 

In short, I'm not going to be mad that NE also got rest this year. I'm going to look internally at things we can control. Like will we choose to toss it all over the yard vs horrible run Ds.

Off topic, but what's your take on AZ this year?

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think what it boils down to, is that there is a significant number of teams that get to enjoy that advantage of being rested over a team that is not. While the Colts have not enjoyed that benefit. 

Essentially, the other teams in our division and conference could get +1 for a better % chance of winning their game off a bye.

That probably reads even more confusing, and if so I apologize. It's May, which in teaching terms means my mind is quite nearly a puddle on the floor. 

36 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I saw, that's why I'm not really down on the whole thing.

I agree on the bolded to an extent, but I key on the lack of advantage, more than than dis-advantage. Over 10 years, I just see the yearly "disadvantage" as pretty low bearing. Don't get me wrong, I think the NFL should do better, but I'm far more concerned with other elements. I'd prefer more structured scheduling. 

In short, I'm not going to be mad that NE also got rest this year. I'm going to look internally at things we can control. Like will we choose to toss it all over the yard vs horrible run Ds.

Off topic, but what's your take on AZ this year?

The bolded is basically my opinion. Good way of putting it. 

Edit: Structured scheduling is gonna be really hard. Shared arenas, other events scheduled, TV obligations, etc. 

I'll get back to you on AZ.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

The bolded is basically my opinion. Good way of putting it. 

Yup, basically a nit. A nit that should be easy to look at and fix, but not something I'll ever point to. 

Edit: Structured scheduling is gonna be really hard. Shared arenas, other events scheduled, TV obligations, etc. 

I disagree. It can be balanced. I would agree if this was 20 years ago. Shared arenas is a small thing IMO. Other events could actually be managed easier if there was a systemic logic and expectation. TV obligations to the networks would be stable. 

Off topic, but I've flown a decent amount to away games, and also to concerts at arenas or other events at NFL stadiums. If you're going to allow flex games (getting more and more the norm after week 4), you're not really worried about all that.

I'll get back to you on AZ.

Not looking for a deep dive. I thought you were out in AZ and might have a surface opinion on adding Green, Watt,

Collins, Moore, Butler, etc. 

9 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

There is no way in hell they do that. They are extending the schedule to get more of a TV presence so they can get more of a piece of the pie. I mean talk about this new TV deal, why you think the owners almost unanimously voted for the extended schedule? More money and the bottom line. You will never see the bye week go away.

21 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

There is no way in hell they do that. They are extending the schedule to get more of a TV presence so they can get more of a piece of the pie. I mean talk about this new TV deal, why you think the owners almost unanimously voted for the extended schedule? More money and the bottom line. You will never see the bye week go away.

I almost can see a two bye season coming up... 

It would make sense, make the union, and networks happy. Extend the season by a week without adding a game.... 

37 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

Are you saying the nfl and owners are in it for the money?? No Way.

.... lol

I'm sorry you couldn't tell I was joking and being sarcastic....haha

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I almost can see a two bye season coming up... 

It would make sense, make the union, and networks happy. Extend the season by a week without adding a game.... 

I think that’s expected next season if/when they expand again to an 18 game season.   I believe I’ve read they will go to having 2 bye weeks each season.   That’s my understanding at least. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think that’s expected next season if/when they expand again to an 18 game season.   I believe I’ve read they will go to having 2 bye weeks each season.   That’s my understanding at least. 

Not a lot of financial benefit to the owners or players, but definitely a benefit to networks. 

It just makes sense. More network games means more money overall just not more stadium money. Players will get more chance to rest. 

IMO, they just should have done it this year when adding a 17th game. IMO, it was likely a network/$ thing.

12 hours ago, Smonroe said:

In other words, this is the sort of thing that will only be discussed in the offseason, after the draft, when there's nothing else to discuss until camp starts.

Seriously the period between draft and camp is the deadest part of the year.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Are you saying the nfl and owners are in it for the money?? No Way.

.... lol

I'm sorry you couldn't tell I was joking and being sarcastic....haha

ok miss. take it easy on me. I am still new and havent had the privilege of  enjoying your sarcasm.

3 minutes ago, King Colt said:

And that is not the solution in what way? Every game every week. Gee, what a terrible idea!!

Again,   it's not an issue of the fans.    The issue is with the players and coaches.    Read

Archived